Photo
* - - - - 3 votes

reversing on a live race track

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: reversing into another car (109 member(s) have cast votes)

should ricci be banned

1. yes (22 votes [20.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.18%

2. no (87 votes [79.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nookie

nookie

• 1,423 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 13:58

ricci reversing into another car is, in my opinion insane. maldonado was banned (initially for life) after he reversed his car into a marshal in monaco during a rws race back in 2005. this is along the same lines.

Edited by nookie, 28 April 2019 - 14:01.

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:00

Everyone that went into those escape routes had to reverse onto the track, Hamilton did it yesterday for example, plenty others did in practice, qualifying, in F2 etc.

Bit of an unexcusable amateur mistake by Ricciardo though, completely out of character, I guess everyone's brain shuts off once in a while. I'm expecting something like a 10 place grid penalty for Barcelona or something.

#3 nookie

nookie

• 1,423 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:04

Everyone that went into those escape routes had to reverse onto the track

i know, but the distinction is that ricci reversed into another car. the same distinction exists when, if you're off the track outside at a fast corner and rejoin, you have to do so in a safe manner. what ricci did wasn't safe in any manner of opinion

Edited by nookie, 28 April 2019 - 14:05.

#4 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:11

I have a feeling he will get a ten place grid penalty for not waiting for Kvyat to move out of the way.

#5 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:11

OP - think you have slightly overreacted (just slightly)  :D

#6 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:12

Getting banned for reversing into a car at relatively slow speed compared to say this...

257408.jpg

…. is really nothing

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:14

ricci reversing into another car is, in my opinion insane. maldonado was banned (initially for life) after he reversed his car into a marshal in monaco during a rws race back in 2005. this is along the same lines.

Maldonado ignored yellow flags and caused an accident. Nothing like this.

#8 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,647 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:16

Where is the option that this poll is rubbish?

#9 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 733 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:29

Shades of RAG.

RAG though at least was looking into his mirrors that missed the "objects may appear closer than they really are" sticker.

Is that escape road really too wide to attempt a half spin, considering the rule leave no other others?

#10 FLB

FLB

• 29,872 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:31

Mansell was banned for one race after reversing in the pits at Estoril in 1989.

#11 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:40

He either didn't look or looked at one mirror only. Dangerous.

#12 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 14:55

Maldonado ignored yellow flags and caused an accident. Nothing like this.

Maldonado seemed to have a string of bad luck under yellow flag conditions in WSR.

Seems like I had some bad luck posting a crash video. I thought it was Maldonado, as the video said, but as somebody has pointed out in the comments section: "This is not Maldonado Crashing! The blue car is Stefano Proetto and the white and green car is Alx Danielsson 2006 World Series by Renault winner. Maldonados car was yellow this year."

Edited by ANF, 28 April 2019 - 15:15.

#13 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 15:13

What Maldonado has done in the past is downright dangerous. What Riccardo did was stupid, obviously, but in no way comparable.

#14 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 15:20

…. is really nothing

Only five posts before Vettel is brought up? Nice! :up:

this is along the same lines.

Not really. Ricciardo made a dumb move, but there were no marshals near either car.

It was an avoidable collision, and an unsafe rejoining of the track, plus - although not an offence in itself - he caused another driver to retire from the race.

A grid penalty seems possible, given that he withdrew from the race before he could be penalized.

#15 Arska

Arska

• 947 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 15:32

No, he was black flagged for that. He was banned for taking out Senna after getting the flag.

#16 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,707 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 15:33

3 place grid penalty for Spain.

https://www.motorspo...n-baku/4377839/

"I obviously don't feel good about what happened," Ricciardo told Sky. "At the time it was looking quite good for us. We were starting to pick up the pace and obviously closing in on Daniil.

"I saw a gap and thought I would have a go. It is always tight into Turn 3, and initially I thought I had the commitment and would pull it off. Then I felt it was starting to lock and I missed the corner.

"At that point as soon as I went down the escape road, it was just I guess a sense of urgency and a bit of panic if you will – and try to minimise damage and lose as little time as possible.

"I found reverse and started going and to be honest I had no idea he was there. I guess the urgency stopped me from looking.

#17 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 15:35

Stupid mistake and embarassing for Danny Ric, but lifetime ban? No..

#18 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 15:39

I am sure it was not intentional and mirrors in F1 cars are not exactly the most helpful of devices. I guess he assumed the Torro Rosso had managed to make the corner and was long gone or maybe he just simply could not see the car behind him.

I guess his defence would be to prove that the car behind him was in a blind spot. I imagine F1 mirrors are set up to show cars further in the distance rather than directly behind them.

If he cannot satisfactorily demonstrate that then I would guess he is looking at a 3 or 5 place grid penalty at the next race and a few reprimand points.

Edited by Donkey, 28 April 2019 - 15:40.

#19 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 15:39

He got off lightly.

Advertisement

#20 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,475 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 16:00

Not quite. He was black flagged from the race in Estoril but ignored it and stayed out, eventually knocking Senna off at the first corner several laps later. He was banned for one race for repeatedly ignoring the black flag.

#21 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,559 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 20:28

Expected more from a bloke that drank champagne from his shoe for fun. Reversing on the grid was not funny as thankfully it could have lead to a serious injury.  Though while I think a 3 grid penalty was but a slap on the wrist, Ric is a reminder it doesn't take much from going from hero to zero.

#22 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,707 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 20:47

Not quite. He was black flagged from the race in Estoril but ignored it and stayed out, eventually knocking Senna off at the first corner several laps later. He was banned for one race for repeatedly ignoring the black flag.

I know I'm going majorly OT, but other than the fact that Mansell shouldn't have been there, I'd give more of the blame to Senna.

#23 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 20:48

Everyone that went into those escape routes had to reverse onto the track, Hamilton did it yesterday for example, plenty others did in practice, qualifying, in F2 etc.

This.

#24 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 21:06

I well recall Mansell being banned for a race after reversing in the pit lane (overshot his spot) as using reverse gear during a race is forbidden. This was before the days of pit lane speed limits and wasn't even considered dangerous. Indeed many commentators praised Nigel for his presence of mind in selecting the seldom used reverse gear when he overshot his pit by a few feet. Indeed it was thought something of a surprise that the Ferrari's reverse gear worked at all.

What Ricciardo did was reverse back onto a live track and actually hit a competitor he damn well should have known was there. The rule concerns during a race, not practise or qualifying. My gast is quite flabbered if Ricciardo has only got a 3 place grid penalty for Spain. 

#25 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 21:09

He claimed he couldn't see the flag as it was only being waved on an uphill stretch where the sun was in his eyes. Other drivers reported they couldn't see flags at that point.

Point is....using reverse during a race is against the rules, using it in practise sessions is not. Mansell was black flagged - effectively DQ'd from a race - for using it. 

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 21:13

Using reverse in the pitlane is against the rules. If using reverse is the safest way to get your car out of trouble during the race then it won’t be penalised. Dan didn’t consider that other Dan would be behind him and the penalty stems from that, not using reverse itself.

#27 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 22:15

Using reverse in the pitlane is against the rules. If using reverse is the safest way to get your car out of trouble during the race then it won’t be penalised. Dan didn’t consider that other Dan would be behind him and the penalty stems from that, not using reverse itself.

The cause was not looking where he was going. The penalty was that the result of not looking was to hit another car (if he had just hit the wall, there would be no penalty).

#28 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 22:20

The poll is crap, but reversing back onto the track is worthy of discussion. I think it's particularly dangerous in the circumstances that we see in Baku. It's only a matter of time before a driver reverses out from one of the runoffs and collects a car taking the corner at speed. Their excuse will be "I didn't see him".

#29 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,203 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 22:41

Yes of course he should be banned for a race. To my understanding he didn't look in the mirrors (that looks credible :p  ) and he stated that I thought. You never reverse on a track without looking in your mirrors. You can reverse but then you have to be sure you look in your mirrors. It is common sense.

#30 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 733 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 23:03

Yes of course he should be banned for a race. To my understanding he didn't look in the mirrors (that looks credible :p  ) and he stated that I thought. You never reverse on a track without looking in your mirrors. You can reverse but then you have to be sure you look in your mirrors. It is common sense.

I cannot even imagine how one would initiate a reversing manouvre in any vehicle and manage to refrain from glancing into any mirror.
This reallly could become a meme. RIC's point of view, mirrors absolute stuffed with F1 car. Or RIC"s car place in front of a variety of soft targets, cliffs, bombs as bystanders bring their hands to their mouths in despair.

#31 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 23:09

Banned, no. He got off very lightly with this penalty though.

Suprisingly dumb move from Dan. Ruined an epic stint from him.

#32 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 23:16

Shades of RAG.

RAG though at least was looking into his mirrors that missed the "objects may appear closer than they really are" sticker.

RAG?

EDIT: Nvm - "That indian guy" from F2.

Edited by Myrvold, 28 April 2019 - 23:33.

#33 backwards7

backwards7

• 29 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 00:05

This is the kind of accident that you expect to see in an Asda car park between a couple of hatchbacks. It looked to me like it was down to a lapse in concentration rather than the action of a man momentarily overcome by frustration. Actually it reminded me of that episode of American Dad where Stan is hexxed by an old man, develops dementia and drives the urban assault vehicle, that he is supposed to be demonstrating, into a crowd of dignitaries, after accidentally activating the hazard lights and failing to disengage the handbrake.

It doesn't speak well for Ricciardo's state of mind that he is making basic errors like this. 

Obviously he got off lightly, given the dangerous nature of the maneuver and the fact that he ruined the race of another driver. 

#34 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 00:17

Should have been a black flag.

How is it that the virtual stewards in the F1 games have a better grasp of the rules than the actual stewards?

#35 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 00:39

Should have been a black flag.

How is it that the virtual stewards in the F1 games have a better grasp of the rules than the actual stewards?

He went straight in to the pits the same lap it happened.

You do know how black flags work, right?

#36 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 00:59

The poll is crap, but reversing back onto the track is worthy of discussion. I think it's particularly dangerous in the circumstances that we see in Baku. It's only a matter of time before a driver reverses out from one of the runoffs and collects a car taking the corner at speed. Their excuse will be "I didn't see him".

:up:

Just saying Ricc did a bone head move is not cutting it for me either.

IMO it's not any different from drivers trying to rejoin the track after an off. No need to create or apply different rules. I doubt that there is much difference from the visibility aspect and (not) seeing things in the mirror (except a driver is facing the wrong way when trying to rejoin the track.)

There are things to consider apart from the drivers. The most important how fast were the yellow flags out?

And instead of relying on those mostly useless mirrors, what about having a rearward looking camera installed and have a dashboard screen? Sometimes F1 could learn from roadcar applications of modern technology. Drivers still need to look into such a device however.

#37 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:07

Getting banned for reversing into a car at relatively slow speed compared to say this...

257408.jpg

…. is really nothing

Or even this:

_78997071_1631182.jpg

Banned for a 5mph car park incident? Holy overreaction, Batman! :lol:

It does demonstrate how ridiculously fragile modern F1 cars are when something as innocuous as that leads to a double DNF though...

#38 SB

SB

• 2,437 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:25

LOL at the topic. If reversing on a live race track should not be allowed, then why there is a rule that every Formula One car MUST be equipped with a reverse gear ?

#39 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,203 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:50

257408.jpg

…. is really nothing

are you serious? What Ricciardo did was way more dangerous. I don't have a problem with driving in reverse when it is save. I have a problem with driving in reverse without even looking in your mirrors. The other drivers are not racing at 5 mph. He was flat out dangerous. And deserved a race ban. And yes Vettel deserved one to. Only Ricciardo's move was way more dangerous. What is next, driving blind.

Advertisement

#40 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:09

Dan should have been hanged from the nearest lamppost and then all records and memories of him should be eliminated. He should be wiped from all history.

#41 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:58

...then all records and memories of him should be eliminated. He should be wiped from all history.

Don't worry - Renault will take care of it.

#42 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:33

Banning is absurd, but the fact that he didn’t even look into his mirrors when reversing is really shocking, isn’t it?

"Then at that point as soon as I went down the escape road, it was just I guess a sense of urgency and a bit of panic if you will - and trying to minimise damage and lose as little time as possible.

"I found reverse and started going and to be honest I had no idea he was there. I guess the urgency stopped me from looking.

#43 Peat

Peat

• 8,865 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:22

I cannot even imagine how one would initiate a reversing manouvre in any vehicle and manage to refrain from glancing into any mirror.

Low sun/shadows + dark Toro Rosso + crap F1 mirrors + bone headed impatience =  :lol:

#44 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:33

Lol at the torches and pitchforks from some. Dan said he thought Kvyat had continued around the corner so didn't think he was there. Anyway he wasn't reversing onto the track just along the edge look at the angle of his car.

UYnQTa.jpg

Hes nowhere even near the racing line either.

A1QPE7.jpg

Still he should have looked before he started reversing it was just stupid. You live and learn.

Edited by gowebber, 29 April 2019 - 06:46.

#45 Peat

Peat

• 8,865 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:39

No no, this is the internet. WE NEVER FORGIVE NOR FORGET.

#46 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,623 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:46

It's not just Kvyat he had to consider, there could have been another car as well.

Anyway typical PlayStation move imo (I have done this many times I have to admit).

Ban would be a bit harsh though.

#47 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:50

If it was Kyvat he should have been banned + given at drive through at the race after that. 

Now obviously Ricciardo got a harsh penalty. 

#48 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,225 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:52

I think Kvyat should get a penalty for not making the corner afterall, and causing the collision as he was still behind Ricciardo :D

But seriously, gowebber good point, he was not reversing to the live track, but alongside

#49 Casey

Casey

• 2,476 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:37

3 places pen. for not looking in his mirrors is lucky for Dan but it's not like he was reversing straight onto the track .

#50 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,845 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:56

A more serious question. If he wouldn´t have reversed into Kvyat, would he have gotten a penalty? It´s obvious he compromised Kvyat´s race with an overenthousiastic move, but they didnt really touch and probably on any circuit they would´ve just continued with minimal time loss. (or Kvyat would have, Ricciardo might have lost a bit more time).