- - - - -

Aeroscreen for Indycar for 2020

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#401 Beri

Beri

• 2,393 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:23

Now we've all seen it in anger(ish), what'd'ya think?

What i find striking is how much difference a paint scheme makes. Various teams have tried to tie the 'halo' element into the scheme, on Dixon's car it looks dreadful, on Kimball/VEACH i think it works well.

Not a fan of Penske highlighting the central pillar like they do, makes them look like submarines.

Pictures or this question is useless for a lazy guy like me who has a Google free day.

Advertisement

#402 mistakenplane

mistakenplane

• 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:03

Pictures or this question is useless for a lazy guy like me who has a Google free day.

GETTYIMAGES-1205797218.jpg

#403 barrykm

barrykm

• 616 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:27

Like the halo, I guess that most of us will get used to it?

#404 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 11,055 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:14

Like the halo, I guess that most of us will get used to it?

Or dig ourselves in behind a laptop to follow the race via live timing.  :p

#405 Beri

Beri

• 2,393 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:40

GETTYIMAGES-1205797218.jpg

In not impressed. Never thought I'd say this, but the Halo looks better.

#406 maximilian

maximilian

• 5,098 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:46

DEFLECTOR SHIELD looks just fine when in motion, and pretty damn cool from some angles.  Non-issue.  Rain/spray also seemed to be a non-issue.

EQnSojPU8AEFktW.png

#407 grunf77

grunf77

• 288 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:47

This is better, Halo looks ugly from all angles.

#408 maximilian

maximilian

• 5,098 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:53

EQnbqu-WsAAtcWU.jpg

#409 maximilian

maximilian

• 5,098 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:54

One thing that became evident during yesterday's test... you can still very much see helmets through the DEFLECTOR SHIELD.

EQn4D2ZWkAEsBht.jpg

Edited by maximilian, 13 February 2020 - 12:55.

#410 Peat

Peat

• 4,757 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 13:18

From side-on, the helmet is completely obscured.

I also noticed that as the sun peeked out yesterday, the glare on the AS/DS made it alot harder to make out the driver.  In the overcast conditions, it was clear. 

#411 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,700 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 00:07

Reminds me of a Vanwall...

Jeeez. You must be either really into F1 history, or even older than I am and I am pretty old. I had a Vanwall "Matchbox" car, as a child  :wave:

#412 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,875 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:53

After watching a day of testing, I scarcely even notice it now.

#413 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 201 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:34

What i find striking is how much difference a paint scheme makes. Various teams have tried to tie the 'halo' element into the scheme, on Dixon's car it looks dreadful, on Kimball/VEACH i think it works well. 

Not a fan of Penske highlighting the central pillar like they do, makes them look like submarines.

More F-111 than submarine, for me. Oh, unless you mean those little single seat porpoise type ones? I can see that too. I don’t hate it, and if it even remotely contributes to saving a life, job done.

#414 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,510 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 13:21

Jeeez. You must be either really into F1 history, or even older than I am and I am pretty old. I had a Vanwall "Matchbox" car, as a child  :wave:

I was born in the 80s but I treasure my Scalextric Vanwall.

#415 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,052 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:17

EQnbqu-WsAAtcWU.jpg

My only real problem with the Aerosc-... DEFLECTOR SHIELD is shown on this photo. A tire can fit in that gap, which means it isn't a complete solution.

#416 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,510 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:36

My only real problem with the Aerosc-... DEFLECTOR SHIELD is shown on this photo. A tire can fit in that gap, which means it isn't a complete solution.

We went over this forever. A tyre isn't going to drop down vertically on a driver.

#417 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,052 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:46

We went over this forever. A tyre isn't going to drop down vertically on a driver.

Henry Surtees..

#418 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,510 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:46

Henry Surtees..

No, hit from the front. We’ve gone over the vectors for that impact ad nauseam.

#419 Peat

Peat

• 4,757 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:51

It's the same every time theres a crash at a street circuit and Paul Tracy goes "Er mer gurd, he almost went through that gap in the wall, why is that there?"

Physics, people. Jeeez.

Advertisement

#420 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 11,055 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:11

No, hit from the front. We’ve gone over the vectors for that impact ad nauseam.

In the end, the stars and planets align and it Will Happen. That is the tendency of freak accidents.

#421 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,641 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:16

Conflicted. On pure aesthetics, it ruins the beautiful low-slung appearance of the 2018 aero. It draws the eye upwards, or perhaps your glance begins with the deflector, in a way that doesn't show off the car's most attractive features. But in that regard, it's less offensive to my eyes than the Kardashian rear wheel guards of 2012-17, or the flared sidepods of 2012-14, or the big straight clumsy nose from every iteration of the DW12. In short, we've seen some ugly shit in Indycar and this isn't the worst.

It's at least a subtle enough change that from some angles the screen looks OK. From the ultra-zoomed out tracking shots that the TV broadcasts favour, it's barely visible. 

And it may save lives and careers.

Unknowns? How the higher centre of gravity (the shield is not light) will affect handing; how the change in airflow affects cars in traffic; what will happen in a wet, muddy race or following an oily engine explosion; cooling.

I also find the City vs United style deflector shield vs halo rivalry a bit distasteful. Neither is a perfect solution and in our hearts we all wish they weren't necessary. But here we are.

#422 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,641 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:18

In the end, the stars and planets align and it Will Happen. That is the tendency of freak accidents.

Technically that's the definition of a freak accident. But Indycar (or F1 for that matter) didn't set out to create an "anti-freak accidents device", they set out to create a big shield to deflect heavy things flying towards the driver's head from the most common trajectories.

#423 paulb

paulb

• 7,227 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:21

Conflicted. On pure aesthetics, it ruins the beautiful low-slung appearance of the 2018 aero. It draws the eye upwards, or perhaps your glance begins with the deflector, in a way that doesn't show off the car's most attractive features. But in that regard, it's less offensive to my eyes than the Kardashian rear wheel guards of 2012-17, or the flared sidepods of 2012-14, or the big straight clumsy nose from every iteration of the DW12. In short, we've seen some ugly **** in Indycar and this isn't the worst.

It's at least a subtle enough change that from some angles the screen looks OK. From the ultra-zoomed out tracking shots that the TV broadcasts favour, it's barely visible. 

And it may save lives and careers.

Unknowns? How the higher centre of gravity (the shield is not light) will affect handing; how the change in airflow affects cars in traffic; what will happen in a wet, muddy race or following an oily engine explosion; cooling.

I also find the City vs United style deflector shield vs halo rivalry a bit distasteful. Neither is a perfect solution and in our hearts we all wish they weren't necessary. But here we are.

I wish I could express myself half as eloquently as this.

I have been a critic of the appearance of the DEFLECTOR SHIELD since the start. And while I still thinks it’s UGLY, I have accepted it as part of Indycars future in the interest of driver safety. My hope is the quality of the racing will continue to be my main interest, and not the distraction of simple aesthetics.

#424 wheadon1985

wheadon1985

• 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:43

We have on boards...

https://youtu.be/NWfUe_PVw-A

https://youtu.be/2KtTbB327XU

#425 OO7

OO7

• 19,377 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:58

In not impressed. Never thought I'd say this, but the Halo looks better.

I think it's because of the horizontal top section.  If it sloped down towards the drivers shoulders like the HALO does, it would be smaller, less bulky and much better in my opinion.  (NOTE: It wouldn't be as safe however).