F1 drivers in the Forbes top-paid sportspeople (men) list

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,743 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 20:19

https://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/

Unless I’ve missed them (entirely possible), I can only see Vettel & Hamilton on there. Not hugely up to speed on many other motorsport categories either, but don’t think there’s any other race drivers on the list.

Considering there are so few compared to other other sports, are the days of super rich F1 drivers coming to a close? I know driver wages will be outside the proposed budget cap, so maybe the teams will spend their ‘change’ on luring the drivers over.

I’ve got to say, fair play to Hamilton keeping the focus with that kind of cash rolling in.

Advertisement

#2 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 20:23

For the first time, the Top 3 are football players.

Probably goes a little way to explain Ferrari tipped to Vettel side of the garage. 

No surprise HAM on a mint - think we all guessed he wasn't going to be cheap.  

#3 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 2,201 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 21:39

Vet on 300K endorsements. Liberty and the teams have that on lock down - credit to Ham on working that into his deal.

#4 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,662 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 21:55

There's a list of the richest people directly involved in F1 in this month's motorsport magazine. Hamilton is sat as the richest driver, worth $525m apparently. He's also broken Michael Schumacher's record of being F1's highest paid driver this year, with a $50m retainer from Mercedes.

#5 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,345 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 22:46

That's maybe a bit offtopic but I'm actually surprised by the fact how heavily represented on the list are the sport disciplines that I associate mainly with being popular in the US and completely unknown where I live. Since I have no knowledge about these disciplines, I might be totally underestimating how popular they are outside the US but if I'm, then it's still surprising how much ignored they are in my country. And if they're popular mainly in the US indeed, then it's surprising how it can economically outweight more globally followed disciplines. So it's surprising no matter what. :p

Edited by Anderis, 11 June 2019 - 22:47.

#6 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 22:53

https://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/

Unless I’ve missed them (entirely possible), I can only see Vettel & Hamilton on there. Not hugely up to speed on many other motorsport categories either, but don’t think there’s any other race drivers on the list.

Considering there are so few compared to other other sports, are the days of super rich F1 drivers coming to a close? I know driver wages will be outside the proposed budget cap, so maybe the teams will spend their ‘change’ on luring the drivers over.

I’ve got to say, fair play to Hamilton keeping the focus with that kind of cash rolling in.

I think the amount Hamilton earns will be hard to repeat in the future. Yes he gets a lot of the team but he is really on a different planet with his endorsements compared to any other driver. That's all on him owning his own brand and being marketable.

#7 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,279 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:09

I think the amount Hamilton earns will be hard to repeat in the future. Yes he gets a lot of the team but he is really on a different planet with his endorsements compared to any other driver. That's all on him owning his own brand and being marketable.

I disagree. Yes, the endorsements are pretty hard to achieve for a F1 driver, but it makes even for him not the majority of his earnings.

Vettel is actually even earning nearly the same in terms of basic salary. Schumacher earned more inflation adjusted, etc.

#8 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:10

That's maybe a bit offtopic but I'm actually surprised by the fact how heavily represented on the list are the sport disciplines that I associate mainly with being popular in the US and completely unknown where I live. Since I have no knowledge about these disciplines, I might be totally underestimating how popular they are outside the US but if I'm, then it's still surprising how much ignored they are in my country. And if they're popular mainly in the US indeed, then it's surprising how it can economically outweight more globally followed disciplines. So it's surprising no matter what. :p

There’s a lot of money in American sports leagues. They tend to be world leaders in maximising every revenue source, which finds its way into the players pockets. For now, at least.

Still, like the Forbes billionaire list, I imagine there’s an inherent bias with an American publication having better access to information in America.

#9 7WDC

7WDC

• 252 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:06

They are biased, in my opinion.

I remember a year (2004?) where they put Tiger Woods 1st with 80,3 Millions and Schumacher 2nd with 80,0 Million.

Somehow they find 0,3 Millions to put an american in first place. :drunk:

BTW Schumacher is still the F1 top earner because he always made as much from salary as for publicity/merchandizing. He made 80 million in 2004.... :clap:

Hamilton topped him only in salaries and if we count inflation Schumacher is still ahead for now.

Edited by 7WDC, 12 June 2019 - 12:06.

#10 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 3,237 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 13:10

Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers' salaries seem totally off. I wonder what kind of performance bonuses they must have, if they're making that much money. Usually, the totality of their salaries and bonuses is released by the NFL, when they sign their contracts, but apparently not. I did not believe any NFL player made that much money annually. That's nuts.

Neymar, Ronaldo, and Messi's income is completely bonkers. I wasn't aware that there was that much money in soccer/football contracts.

#11 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 13:15

Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers' salaries seem totally off. I wonder what kind of performance bonuses they must have, if they're making that much money. Usually, the totality of their salaries and bonuses is released by the NFL, when they sign their contracts, but apparently not. I did not believe any NFL player made that much money annually. That's nuts.

Neymar, Ronaldo, and Messi's income is completely bonkers. I wasn't aware that there was that much money in soccer/football contracts.

Football’s quite a popular sport! :D

#12 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 14:42

The average English Premier League player salary would open your eyes!

#13 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 15:21

If Lewis "only" get's 10 million for his personal sponsor deals with Tommy Hilfiger, Monster, Boss, etc. then that surprises me a lot. I would think one (Global) commercial for Tommy Hilfiger alone would bring that up.

#14 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 15:46

That's not men's list unless Serena is hiding something.

#15 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:00

I think its ridiculously grossly  obscene the amounts of dosh sports people and celebrities earn. ...Why is that so a basket player ,a footballer earns more than a nurse who saves lives or a teacher who imparts knowledge?

#16 Hela

Hela

• 700 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:03

I think its ridiculously grossly  obscene the amounts of dosh sports people and celebrities earn. ...Why is that so a basket player ,a footballer earns more than a nurse who saves lives or a teacher who imparts knowledge?

What about bankers and hedge-fund types that earn over 150m a year ?

#17 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:03

The average English Premier League player salary would open your eyes!

Is it justified though?

#18 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:04

Why is that so a basket player ,a footballer earns more than a nurse who saves lives or a teacher who imparts knowledge?

Simple supply and demand.

#19 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:05

What about bankers and hedge-fund types that earn over 150m a year ?

What about them? I don't think that is justified neither.

Advertisement

#20 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:09

Simple supply and demand.

Supply and demand of what?

Are you suggesting there is less demand of health care and being educated than there is of watching a basketball or football player prancing around a pitch for an hour or so?

#21 Hela

Hela

• 700 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:18

What about them? I don't think that is justified neither.

I guess it all comes down to the laws of demand and supply. As long as there are people willing to pay for the entertainment and spectacle these athletes partake in, they will always be highly paid. 

Its not fair when compared to what a nurse earns but I guess that's life

#22 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:20

I am sure young Stroll easly makes it 🤣

#23 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 16:23

Why does anyone take any notice of Forbes? It might have built a reputation as a decent news outlet in years gone by. But these days it’s pure tabloid built on a foundation of wild clickbait titles. It makes the Daily Mail look like a beacon of journalism in comparison!

I wouldn’t take ANY of that list as being the truth.

#24 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,279 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 18:53

I dont expect Forbes to have enough insight into this, especially not into F1. But whenever I see these salary lists I keep wondering to what extend performance bonuses are considered. It was said that most top drivers get a winning bonus of somewhere around a million, and a WDC bonus of somewhere around 5. If you now apply these numbers to Hamilton it would suggest that his basic salary is actually below 30 m, which seems pretty "low".

If Lewis "only" get's 10 million for his personal sponsor deals with Tommy Hilfiger, Monster, Boss, etc. then that surprises me a lot. I would think one (Global) commercial for Tommy Hilfiger alone would bring that up.

F1 drivers generally dont earn much for personal sponsors, in fact AFAIK some teams even forbid it unless you share them with your team, which is even for Lewis mostly the case.

#25 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 19:03

F1 insiders don't even know the exact numbers, let alone Forbes, Lewis could earn 40M or 60M, only he knows.

#26 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 1,021 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 19:04

Are you suggesting there is less demand of health care and being educated than there is of watching a basketball or football player prancing around a pitch for an hour or so?

Not important at all

Ask anyone working for a tax department.............

WHO coughs up the most...................

Do you really think modern government cares ?

The only reason they try an keep you alive as long as possible, is because they get more time to empty your pockets

#27 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,975 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 19:13

You need to take into account supply too. Millions of people pay to watch the top sportsmen, of whom there is a mere few.

Not saying it's right. It's ludicrous, given they'd do it for free if we didn't pay them.

#28 FNG

FNG

• 5,746 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 19:25

In a sense anyone can go out and get educated and become a nurse, hence infinite supply, or at least a huge supply. There are only a select few people with the talent who can put a ball in a net or hoop better than anyone else on the planet.

The demand side is referring to the talent needed.

You can like it or not, but that is the law of supply and demand.

#29 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:59

Those bonkers football players are in leagues with no salary caps. There has been some crazy Saudi money involved too.

#30 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:13

F1 insiders don't even know the exact numbers, let alone Forbes, Lewis could earn 40M or 60M, only he knows.

Honestly Hamilton probably doesn't know either, he's probably got a some big Finance company looking after his money and its probably here-there-and everywhere in investments, stocks, shares etc.

#31 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:18

Is it justified though?

Not in a million years.

#32 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:40

Blame Sky, They put ridiculous money into club pockets.

#33 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:57

Both got huge new contracts recently and are the hughest paid QBs, IIRC.

#34 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:59

That’s why there are income taxes. Try to fix gross inequality. I bet we all love paying taxes.

#35 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,195 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 16:16

I think its ridiculously grossly obscene the amounts of dosh sports people and celebrities earn. ...Why is that so a basket player ,a footballer earns more than a nurse who saves lives or a teacher who imparts knowledge?

I think yoi're looking at this wrong. You need to think of professional athletes more as a product than an individual. They aren't being remunerated directly because of their skill, but rather the fact they are sold as an entertainment product. More successful athletes earn more because success attracts more followers who spend money on the product.

#36 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 16:41

Sometimes athletes or entire teams are luxury items bought more for bragging rights than as investment.

Edited by Kalmake, 13 June 2019 - 16:42.

#37 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 16:42

I think yoi're looking at this wrong. You need to think of professional athletes more as a product than an individual. They aren't being remunerated directly because of their skill, but rather the fact they are sold as an entertainment product. More successful athletes earn more because success attracts more followers who spend money on the product.

Exactly. LeBron James gets a lot of money from endorsement deals, but the companies that he has partnerships with get even more money from customers who pick their products because of the endorsement deal. If they didn't, they wouldn't sponsor these guys. There's a concept in economics called marginal revenue product, which, when applied to sports, means the athlete's wages in a perfectly competitive market should be equal to or just above the additional revenue their team/sport generates because of their participation.

Here's a blurb on how wages are set in pro sports for anyone curious-

http://www.humankine...essional-sports

For the people questioning why teachers/doctors get paid so much less, the supply/demand answer is correct. There are10+ million people on the planet with the means, brains, and inclination to pursue a medical degree and practice medicine. There are only 20 F1 drivers. That's a gross oversimplification, but wages are set by free market forces rather than determinations of "moral worth", where those who do the most "good" for others would receive the highest pay.

Edited by Dan333SP, 13 June 2019 - 16:48.

#38 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 16:52

Stupid question: Does a guy like Hamilton have to buy cars or are they just gifted to him?

Surely not a Ferrari, but the Zonda and Maybach or anything else more closely related to Mercedes. Being gifted them would be a hell of a perk.

Does Vettel have to buy the Ferraris he wants to own?

Luck Max, he gets to drink all the Red Bull he wants, I assume.

#39 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 17:20

Stupid question: Does a guy like Hamilton have to buy cars or are they just gifted to him?

Surely not a Ferrari, but the Zonda and Maybach or anything else more closely related to Mercedes. Being gifted them would be a hell of a perk.

Some drivers put things into their contracts regarding street and race cars. I think I remember reading that Massa had it in his contract that Williams would gift him the car he raced in his final GP. There's definitely no free lunch, if they get something for "free" it's with a reduction in their pay or as a contingency based upon a series of public appearances etc etc.

Advertisement

#40 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 18:10

Well, yes, for about 6.000+ years, that is the case.

Something with bread and games.

Who els should get the money earned by their game/sport? The TV producers? The managers? Or, cheap advertising? 

#41 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 18:28

I dont expect Forbes to have enough insight into this, especially not into F1. But whenever I see these salary lists I keep wondering to what extend performance bonuses are considered. It was said that most top drivers get a winning bonus of somewhere around a million, and a WDC bonus of somewhere around 5. If you now apply these numbers to Hamilton it would suggest that his basic salary is actually below 30 m, which seems pretty "low".

F1 drivers generally dont earn much for personal sponsors, in fact AFAIK some teams even forbid it unless you share them with your team, which is even for Lewis mostly the case.

With Hamilton/Mercedes it was the other way around. Mercedes dropped Boss because Hamilton signed with Tommy Hilfiger. https://www.dailymai...1-conflict.html

But just this deal alone, him always in their close (very classy, well presented, etc.), https://www.lewisham.../category/life/ he made already 2 clothing lines (at least have his name, what he does himself we don't know, but i suspect not nothing looking at his passion for cloth) and then i suspect he will be in a global television add and printed media adds. I find it hard to believe that doesn't has a value of 10 million minimal. https://www.popoptiq...ty-commercials/ Tiger Woods get's from Nike $ 100 million!!!

#42 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:55

From Formula Money earlier in the year. Total estimated F1 career earnings. This includes salary and bonuses only.

1. Lewis Hamilton $494 million
2. Michael Schumacher $464 million
3. Fernando Alonso $458 million
4. Sebastien Vettel $358 million
5. Kimi Raikkonen $331 million
6. Jenson Button $147 million
7. Ralf Schumacher $121 million
8. Jacques Villeneuve $115 million
9 = Felipe Massa $110 million
9 = Rubens Barrichello $110 million

Two things - I don't believe it's adjusted for inflation and it doesn't list 'years active' to achieve that figure.

https://www.forbes.c...s/#11ffda5dfee0

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 14 June 2019 - 05:11.

#43 Beri

Beri

• 11,529 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:10

So, Golf, Football, American Football, Basketball, Baseball and F1 do make up the top 100.. surprising..

Edit: Ah, and Jiminy Cricket is also up there.

Edited by Beri, 14 June 2019 - 06:12.

#44 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,787 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:18

This list tells me one thing: Roger Federer is the most loved human being on this planet. 

#45 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:03

I believe Pirelli gave Fangio free tyres until the end of his life due to marketing work the Maestro did for them in the 50s. Stirling Moss was gifted a brand new Mercedes road car every couple of years (to which he attached the number plate "SM7") for many years...probably until he stopped driving in 2017....as a "thank you" for 1955. 

Many drivers will have it in their contract that they must drive a road car by the manufacture of their race car, or a subsidiary....I doubt Mercedes would be happy with Lewis or Valtteri driving Ferraris or Alfas......and they may be gifted cars long after they retire to keep the association in the public's eye....though after retirement Lewis would be free to spend his money on any road car he likes. 

I should imagine that FIAT ensure that Vettel and LeClerc are driving Ferraris, Alfas or top end FIAT cars. And Max would presumably be encouraged to be photographed chugging Red Bull and not Monster or Rich Energy....I know David Coulthard mentioned that there was a clause in his contract saying that he could have as much Red Bull as he wanted. DC doesn't like the drink so he was told not to be photographed drinking a competitor's concoction and not to criticise Red Bull....which he stuck to. 

#46 kevins

kevins

• 145 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:26

What strikes me about this list is that we always hear how motorsport in general and F1 in particular is too expensive, needs a budget cap etc, yet compared to other sports it is small fry really.

I've no interest in football etc, but a quick google throws up this https://en.wikipedia...tball_transfers - #1 Neymar @£198m, #50 Anthony Martial @£36. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the clubs have to pay the player's salary after that, and there is what 20 in a team (of course not all that expensive). 

What would Man Utd spend in a year compared to say Mercedes? Just to kick a ball. At least F1 teams develop and manufacture cars and bring the show to 21 countries. Do they call for budget caps in other sports?

#47 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:50

What strikes me about this list is that we always hear how motorsport in general and F1 in particular is too expensive, needs a budget cap etc, yet compared to other sports it is small fry really.

The thread is only about the earnings of star drivers, not the cost of participation in the sport.

It costs four or so million pounds per race to run a decent F1 car, even if it's driven by someone you don't pay. That's a barrier to participation for those not on the Forbes rich list, and represents an existential threat to the sport.

#48 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:50

What do Real Madrid and PSG spend compared to the Mercedes F1 team? That will probably blow your mind.

Manchester United aren't exactly top tier spenders anymore in football. The transfer fees alone are just outrageous these days.