- - - - -

Mercedes in line 6

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:57

Another Engine Lbs article , this time on the new MB road car inline 6.

i ,a t least , like the Engine labs stuf as its often interesting but not to heavy so just right for a quick coffee break scan.

https://www.enginela...the-inline-six/

Advertisement

#2 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,363 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 20:48

Nice puff piece. On the several engine lines I have worked on you couldn't put an I6 block down the I4 machining line because (a) two sets of cylinder drills and so  on would be missing and no Cynthia, you don't just buy two more and bolt them on, and (b) the bore spacing is different in this case. Getting rid of the FEAD is a great move, as is shortening the crank, and the dynostart. It'll still need a TV damper, I wonder if they have packaged that in the timing chain gear?

#3 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 21:55

TV damper seems to be on the front of the crankshaft. No pulley though.

#4 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,111 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:59

Will watch when I get a chance, thanks for sharing.

FWIW as a pseudo engineer and petrol head I think the inline 6 attached to a RWD is the optimum daily car config iff you are covering miles and like driving. I really miss my 330d inline 6 engine. The smoothness and power delivery transcended the fuel type. Most didn't believe it was a diesel in terms of response and refinement.

#5 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 19:19

Have you ever heard of a 'bad' engine that was an inline 6? I've heard of 'bad' 4's, 6's & 8's, but never a 'bad' inline 6. Even the rather pedestrian ones, such as the Ford 300 cid or the Dodge Slant-6, are tough as an anvil.

#6 just me again

just me again

• 6,704 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 21:14

I do think the 6cyl vw diesel from the LT and Volvo 240 had head gasket problems.