Midsummer Indy Grand Prix of Road America: OFFICIAL THREAD

• Please log in to reply
593 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 22:04

Indycar Series Round 10 of 17: REV Group Grand Prix of Road America (presented by Johnsonville Sausage American Medical Response)
08-06-Road-America-Aerial-Scenic-Std.jpg
It’s Road America time and I cannot over-stress how good this news is. The Big Track Near Sheboygan has hosted Indycar races since 2016 with its familiar blend of blind brows, wide corners, trees, and occasional fuel saving interludes. Last time the Indycars were racing by the shore of Lake Michigan there was much pit action and sideways barging, with the familiar result of Josef Newgarden and Scott Dixon leading on a road course and Alex Rossi somehow getting less than he deserved. This time, it’ll probably be the same again. Here’s the spotter’s guide. Don’t look directly at Pagenaud.

Road America fax 4 u

Road America officially has 14 turns, but it’s more like 12 as turns 2 and 4 are so slight as to look invisible from some angles:
160827TA_RAstartDSC_0229-2-640x400.jpg
What is definitely true is that it’s 4.048 miles long, there is a corner named after Canada and it reminds me a bit of Mugello. They should go there too.

REV Group, our sponsor for the weekend, are based in Milwaukee and manufacture products that you or I have heard of, including buses, ambulances and fire trucks. Back in the day they’d probably have put them all in a support race. I wish Roger Penske would sponsor one of these races just to rub it in that he’s got a big business empire and everyone else hasn’t.

Carlin are apparently going to show up this weekend with Irish exports Conor Daly and Pato O’Ward in tow. What happened to beloved double act Max Chilton and Charlie Kimball? What’s going on behind the scenes? Is this an improvement? (Yes it is.)
06-22-Newgarden-On-Course-RA.jpg?h=564&l
Hector Rebaque, both Jacques Villeneuves, Christian Fittipaldi and Bruno Junqueira all won their first Indycar races at Road America. Can anyone add their names to the list this weekend? Yeah it’s going to be Ferrucci isn’t it, Jesus Christ.

Dario Franchitti still holds the pole record here from back in 2000, getting his Reynard-Honda from wire to wire around 3 seconds faster than Josef Newgarden’s pole position last year. The record won’t be broken in 2019, but neither will the whole field retire the next day with transmission failures. You may consider this progress, depending on your theory of progress.

Speaking of the olden days, if you’ve got a spare couple of hours this weekend you could do worse than watch this complete shitshow from 1996:

Here’s the schedule
Standard support races this weekend. All times are Wisconsinian, meaning (I think) 6 hours behind the UK. Is it worth paying attention to Indy Lights? I know it’s worth paying attention to Indy Pro 2000 (formerly known as Pro Mazda, back when Mazda tried to tell everyone they were Indycar’s “third manufacturer”) because near the top of their standings is a guy called Stingray Robb. His name sounds like what a 1960s cartoon would think a racing driver should be called, but this does not explain why he was born in the summer of 2001, before CART had definitively imploded. The point is, the Indycar is a bit earlier than usual on Sunday so you’re best off missing the French Grand Prix and repeatedly asking on here when the race is going to start instead.

Sting-Ray.jpg?bwg=1545510739

Friday, 19 June
11.05-12.05: Indycar practice 1
1.05-1.40: USF2000 qualifying 1
1.40-2.15: Indy Pro 2000 qualifying 1
2.15-3.00: Indy Lights qualifying 1
3.00-4.45: Indycar practice 2

Saturday, 20 June
8.00-8.35: USF2000 qualifying 2
8.35-9.10: Indy Pro 2000 qualifying 2
10.15-11.00: Indy Lights qualifying 2
12.00: USF2000 race 1
12.55: Indy Pro 2000 race 1
1.50: Indy Lights race 1
3.00: Indycar qualifying

Sunday, 21 June
8.00: USF2000 race 2
8.50: Indy Lights race 2
10.05: Indy Pro 2000 race 2
11.43: Indycar race

Status update
Indycar seasons are like the first episode of a bad TV show, or like those detective novels that spend the early chapters meeting colourful characters in motels and taking mysterious phonecalls. We hang around for a bit among the trivia of life as she is lived, unsure which rabbit hole the plot is about to bolt down. Ideas are tried out once then discarded. Takuma Sato wins. The Indy 500 happens. Eventually, if we’re lucky, a theme emerges. I think the 2019 season has reached Theme Time, and it is called the Josef Newgarden and Alexander Rossi show presented by Simon Pagenaud.
indycar-newgarden-rossi-1040x572.jpg
But for us Eurotrash focusing on drivers born in nowhere parts of mid-size countries who once passed the time in the hospitality area of a Grand Prix paddock and dreamed dreams of limitless opportunity and unbroken success, the true delights are deeper in the field than that gaudy bower of competence and achievement. I’m talking of course of the streaky, the inexperienced and presenting-mediocre who make up Indycar’s great midfield, but may not next year. As we all know by now, in the hottest of hotseats is Felix Rosenqvist, from whom even the title of Fastest Swede is in danger of being taken away. It was only 3 months ago that Rosenqvist led and led his first race at St Pete, but he’s now being distinctly out-rookied by the newly-vitalized Marcus Ericsson, the race-winning Colon Herta and the FIA silver-graded Santino “technically a gentleman driver” Ferrucci. Want to know something weird? Out of all of them, it’s Ferrucci who’s leading in the points table. All to play for, as they say.

What of the chasing pack? Above Ferrucci in 8th place is Graham Rahal, the man that Santino might be if he looked into a magic mirror that showed him 10 years in the future. In 7th is Ryan Hunter-Reay, or as no one calls him but perhaps they should, Random Huge Result. He had if not a huge result last time out in Texas, certainly one that reminded us that he still drives for Andretti. Then it’s the three-card monte of Will Power, Takuma Sato and Scott Dixon, so-called because whichever one you pick, they will all be eliminated in some bizarre accident, pit mishap or strategy fluke.

What I am driving at is that there’s a lot going on, much is chaotic and the story is what you make it. With that in mind, here’s the occult version with your midsummer three-card tarot reading:

6 of pentacles
Pents06.jpg
The 6 of pentacles represents charity, kindness and magnificence.

10 of swords
Swords10.jpg
The 10 of swords represents betrayal, ruin and the longed-for rebirth.

3 of swords
Swords03.jpg
The 3 of swords represents sorrow and disenchantment.

Well, shit. Don’t miss this one. Why would you?

Advertisement

#2 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 22:16

YAY!!  :clap:   Excellent!

FINALLY another IndyCar race!  It's been too long!!  :love:

#3 loki

loki

• 12,106 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 22:16

Sting Ray Robb?  Wonder if he's named after Sting?  Good luck to him regardless.  Seems to have talent.

I got one for you...

Cam Binder

Indy Lights driver

or

Valve train component

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 22:21

Indycar's latest classic uploads are the 2006 and 1999 editions:

https://www.youtube....h?v=MFz5APTahMI

https://www.youtube....h?v=KMpLItFUIQc

For when you're done with the 1996 one in the OP.

#5 paulb

paulb

• 11,182 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 22:26

Now that we have an OP, race preparations can officially begin!

Hector Rebaque, talk about a name from the past! I did not recall he was a race winner.

I presume Sting Ray wants to be at the pointy end of the grid.

Look at that Trans Am love!

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 22:40

Watching the 1988 upload and amused at the bit of commentary 10 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/PsBxtVuNN2s?t=600

They're discussing the Italian Grand Prix result from earlier that day, and apparently Gerhard Berger's Ferrari was under investigation because it's engine could have been two litres too big. I can only assume something was lost in translation as the story made its way across the Atlantic.

#7 prommer

prommer

• 4,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:34

Wait, what is going on? We're sans Chilton??  Are we now counting fast-flowing Euro-style permanent road courses (that Chilton himself says is the American Spa, his favorite course) as ovals?

Surely Chilton's here?! Last we saw Daly at Road America he was inspecting the tire barriers

Thanks for the OP Risil!!!

Edited by prommer, 21 June 2019 - 01:36.

#8 prommer

prommer

• 4,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:39

They're discussing the Italian Grand Prix result from earlier that day, and apparently Gerhard Berger's Ferrari was under investigation because it's engine could have been two litres too big. I can only assume something was lost in translation as the story made its way across the Atlantic.

Was Berger driving the Beast of Turin that day?

maxresdefault.jpg

#9 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:31

Will any of the Penske trucks make it to the track in time for the race?

#10 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:41

One of the best tracks in the world! 

Memories - 

Herta gets ridden

Al jnr grenades last lap

Memo's big hit

Katherine's MASSIVE hit. 

Love this place. 

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,047 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:54

Nice throw there Risil for your three-card monte.

I'm on the SanTucciTrain..as we speak...

Jp

#12 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:59

Wait, what is going on? We're sans Chilton?? 

Surely Chilton's here?! Last we saw Daly at Road America he was inspecting the tire barriers

Chilton is on the spotter's guide, as expected.  Risil was just checking whether we're paying attention!  :wave:

Tantalizing tease that Pato is in a dark blue car that LOOKS like one could just slap on Red Bull stickers at any moment.

Edited by maximilian, 21 June 2019 - 03:01.

#13 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,047 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:08

But noooo
Jp

#14 SKL

SKL

• 1,408 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:34

Watching that video of the '96 sure brings back memories-   was at the race working medical for the support races.   The crowd was unbelievable- if I remember correctly the governor of WI was there and stated it was the biggest crowd for a sporting event in WI history.   Remember walking through the mob on the grid for the start- actually bumped into Letterman literally...   boy, those were the good old days.

Never missed going to RA for at least one race a year from 1967 thru 2017-   bummed I'll be watching from Scottsdale this year...

#15 prommer

prommer

• 4,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:47

Definitely enjoying watching the 1988 race that PaYR posted. Not only Berger's 2 liters, but also cheeky Nabokov references 2 minutes in (Emmo had given his Lola the nickname "Lolita" and they were joking about him taking her out for a spin in the countryside...amazing), then COOOOOGAN, then 11 minutes in a cameo spin in the grass from someone named FULVIO BALLABIO, from Monte Carlo.  Was he the Stefano Coletti of his day?

At this rate I'll never make it to 2019.

Edited by prommer, 21 June 2019 - 04:48.

#16 djparky

djparky

• 1,992 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:19

Brings back memories of an awesome trip I had to RA last year, nice part of the US, fab weather, amazing track, friendly fans, met a bunch of drivers and first up close look of the UAK version of Indy Car and good race as well.

Will definitely like to go again at some point

For anyone lucky enough to be there have a great time

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:59

Chilton is on the spotter's guide, as expected. Risil was just checking whether we're paying attention! :wave:

In fact I'd checked the Entry List on Forix and the Road America one can't be up so it showed me the Texas one instead. That'll learn me for not reading the spotter's guide I linked to.

#18 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:42

Cool article from M-Pru in Racer about Robert Wickens' debut with SPM two years ago:

https://racer.com/20...ues-to-inspire/

#19 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,173 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 15:01

Some of the names in this thread could only belong to racing drivers. :lol: Rebaque sounds like he could have a corner at Monaco named after him, Sting Ray Robb sounds like a descendent of Slick Racin’ Gardner, and God help us all if Fulvio Ballabio ever shared a track with Dick Trickle. Almost enough to make me think Ha Ha Clinton-Dix missed his true calling as a lovable underdog Trans Am racer.

Advertisement

#20 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,348 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 15:37

One of the very few tracks so stunning that the race could be a complete procession and it is still amazing to watch. And those 1990s CART races were never dull between the cars and the driving talent.

#21 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 16:00

I have a lot of fond memories of working for CART and working on the Road America circuit in the 80s and 90s. Some long days with all the support races but we packed a lot of fun into our empty hours also. Still have many friends from those days I won't make it unfortunately but will be at Mid-Ohio. A great time to all of those going, maybe next year.

#22 prommer

prommer

• 4,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 16:19

First practice is happening already.  I mean, like, cars on track NAO (hi jp)!

#23 FLB

FLB

• 29,566 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 16:23

I suddenly want a Johnsonville bratwurst.

#24 paulb

paulb

• 11,182 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 16:36

Ooops, Jack.

1996, the original Herta-mania according to Bob Varsha.

Edited by paulb, 21 June 2019 - 16:39.

#25 prommer

prommer

• 4,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 16:48

Because Paul Tracy just referenced it on commentary:

Indycar drivers are so accessible. They come to you!

#26 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 17:06

oh yeah indycar race, can't wait!  

#27 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 17:17

Some of the names in this thread could only belong to racing drivers. :lol: Rebaque sounds like he could have a corner at Monaco named after him, Sting Ray Robb sounds like a descendent of Slick Racin’ Gardner, and God help us all if Fulvio Ballabio ever shared a track with Dick Trickle. Almost enough to make me think Ha Ha Clinton-Dix missed his true calling as a lovable underdog Trans Am racer.

Fulvio Ballabio sponsored by Topolino, the italian Mickey Mouse comic mag... ;)

#28 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,009 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 18:53

Will any of the Penske trucks make it to the track in time for the race?

The ones in Sacramento, California will not.

Cw7lQJz.jpg

Edited by rghojai, 21 June 2019 - 18:53.

#29 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,047 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 20:39

I picked a Fantasy Penske Truck... it was expensive.
Jp

#30 red stick

red stick

• 14,061 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 20:55

Scattered shots from my last Indy car race at Road America--the Champ Car visit in 2007.

Pit-5.jpg

The sign was new back then.  Is it still there?

Wilson.jpg

Wilson.  The CDW car was a looker.

Pagenaud2.jpg

The ageless Simon Pagenaud.. He was Will Power's teammate back then too.

Pit-8.jpg

Power's DP01.

Bourdais-5.jpg

Bourdais.

Bourdais-4.jpg

Bourdais dominance.

Speed.jpg

Bourdais speed.

Redman-039-s-cat.jpg

Road America whimsy

#31 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 20:58

I forgot how much I loved those Aussie Vineyards Walker Racing cars. I miss Walker Racing. They were a good team.

What’s the story about Brian Redman’s cat?

#32 red stick

red stick

• 14,061 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 21:00

Brian Redman's cat.

https://www.gorace.c...edmans-Cat.html

Remember.  You asked.

Edited by red stick, 21 June 2019 - 21:03.

#33 ANF

ANF

• 29,236 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 21:02

I think we will be able to watch the first Mazda MX-5 Cup race
in 45 minutes
here https://www.ustream.tv/MazdaLive
or here https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/

#34 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 21:02

Practice Two was a jolly good show on GOLD - thoroughly entertaining in a myriad of different ways.  I really hope they add LIVE races and international access to that package soon - then it's really a no-brainer to sign up!

#35 Anja

Anja

• 10,284 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 21:32

Brian Redman's cat.

https://www.gorace.c...edmans-Cat.html

Remember.  You asked.

What an inspirational figure. 

#36 ANF

ANF

• 29,236 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 21:48

I think we will be able to watch the first Mazda MX-5 Cup race
in 45 minutes
here https://www.ustream.tv/MazdaLive
or here https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/

Crazy Mazdas are about to go green, green, green!

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 21:57

Real-life iRacing!!

#38 ANF

ANF

• 29,236 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 22:01

What a jinx by young Ms Unser.

#39 bike13

bike13

• 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 23:50

I have a lot of fond memories of working for CART and working on the Road America circuit in the 80s and 90s. Some long days with all the support races but we packed a lot of fun into our empty hours also. Still have many friends from those days I won't make it unfortunately but will be at Mid-Ohio. A great time to all of those going, maybe next year.

B Squared,  I am new to the forum and I just saw your recent post.  Noticed that your title photo is of Bobby Marshman and the Pure Oil Lotus from 1964.  Just curious of why you selected Marshman and that car as your photo.  

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,047 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 00:31

Wow... you’re gonna LOVE his reason.
Jp

#41 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:50

Speaking of the olden days, if you’ve got a spare couple of hours this weekend you could do worse than watch this complete shitshow from 1996:

My, I think that is five or six ad breaks they go to before then laps are done. How could anybody watch that ? I tried. 

#42 prommer

prommer

• 4,951 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:29

Redstick, thanks for the DP01 pr0n....  :clap:  :eek:  :love:

#43 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:17

Great OP, and fantastic pictures Redstick.

Indycar at Road America is on my shortlist of vacation destinations for next year. I am really looking forward to this weekends race.

#44 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:57

Great OP there Rich, top props for those 3 cards. Quite doom ones as well.

Just had to give one observation - it's not Midsummer yet, it's the Summer Solstice aka first day of Summer. Midsummer won't happen for another 45 days.

Had to miss the last race and I actually missed making my picks. Was extra busy in a very positive sense due to conferences and the thickness of life, but I fully intend to watch this one live with y'all.

Can't wait. Cheers y'all.

#45 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:46

B Squared,  I am new to the forum and I just saw your recent post.  Noticed that your title photo is of Bobby Marshman and the Pure Oil Lotus from 1964.  Just curious of why you selected Marshman and that car as your photo.

https://www.racemaker.com/

Thanks for asking about Bobby. Long story short, he was my Dad's favorite. I met his youngest sister about 22 years ago and this inspired me to learn all I could about him as a driver and as a person. My late, great friend Michael Argetsinger decided to write Bob's biography and I was honored to work with Michael on the research for the book which just premiered at the Indianapolis Speedway Museum on the evening of Carb Day. If you are a Marshman fan, I'm sure you will not be disappointed with Michael's excellent telling of Bobby's story.

#46 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,596 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:04

Brian, I trust the book covers his whole life and career in depth? I only ask because the subtitle implies a heavy focus on Indy - I'm hoping that's just a marketing thing!

#47 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:17

Brian, I trust the book covers his whole life and career in depth? I only ask because the subtitle implies a heavy focus on Indy - I'm hoping that's just a marketing thing!

Yes, as with the Hansgen and Donohue books that Michael authored, Bob's life and racing career is chronicled in depth. I appreciate your interest.

#48 djparky

djparky

• 1,992 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:33

Great OP, and fantastic pictures Redstick.

Indycar at Road America is on my shortlist of vacation destinations for next year. I am really looking forward to this weekends race.

Totally recommend it. Couple of hours drive from Chicago, and 15 minutes drive from Sheboygan to track. And there are so many amazing places to watch from ( and photo opportunities)

#49 bike13

bike13

• 42 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 13:29

https://www.racemaker.com/

Thanks for asking about Bobby. Long story short, he was my Dad's favorite. I met his youngest sister about 22 years ago and this inspired me to learn all I could about him as a driver and as a person. My late, great friend Michael Argetsinger decided to write Bob's biography and I was honored to work with Michael on the research for the book which just premiered at the Indianapolis Speedway Museum on the evening of Carb Day. If you are a Marshman fan, I'm sure you will not be disappointed with Michael's excellent telling of Bobby's story.

B Squared.  My first racing memory is when my parents took me to the final day of qualifications for the 1961 Indy 500.  Sitting on the front straightaway, I saw an orange number 31 car and asked my parents who was the driver.  It was Bobby Marshman and he became my first racing hero and followed his career as closely as I could as a 6 year old and the limitations of the times.  As I have grown into the retirement age, I evaluate my life and realize that childhood memories have affected my life in many distinct ways. Bobby Marshman was one of those defining memories.  It created a life long interest/passion for auto racing.  I have visited his grave site as a way to honor him and my memories.  When Replicarz announced the Indy car model of Marshman's 1961 Indy car, I ordered one (my first car model).  I had heard that there was a biography being published on Marshman and was disappointed when I discovered that I had missed the premier of the book on Carb Day.  Thanks for your response and I will be order the book soon. 

#50 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 13:59

B Squared.  My first racing memory is when my parents took me to the final day of qualifications for the 1961 Indy 500.  Sitting on the front straightaway, I saw an orange number 31 car and asked my parents who was the driver.  It was Bobby Marshman and he became my first racing hero and followed his career as closely as I could as a 6 year old and the limitations of the times.  As I have grown into the retirement age, I evaluate my life and realize that childhood memories have affected my life in many distinct ways. Bobby Marshman was one of those defining memories.  It created a life long interest/passion for auto racing.  I have visited his grave site as a way to honor him and my memories.  When Replicarz announced the Indy car model of Marshman's 1961 Indy car, I ordered one (my first car model).  I had heard that there was a biography being published on Marshman and was disappointed when I discovered that I had missed the premier of the book on Carb Day.  Thanks for your response and I will be order the book soon.

A belated welcome to the forum bike.

I was a couple of months shy of seven years old when Bob lost his life and was familiar with his name from listening to the 1963 and '64 races on the radio while Dad and his car friends went to the race. My brother and I would start going to the track with him and Mom in 1965. As brutal as the 1964 season had been, the first time I ever remember my retired Marine Corps Dad tearing up over the loss of a racer was when Bobby lost his battle. Dad figured he was going to be one of the best. He was not wrong about Bob as a racer or being a fine, caring, professional and generous gentleman.

Years later, knowing that Dad has always been a good judge of people; I decided to learn more about Bobby as a person. I reached out to his youngest sister, LaRone (Ronney) in late 1997, and this began a great friendship with her. In fact she has attended the 500 with my family a couple of times and stays with my parents. One of these races, a cousin of Jimmy Bryan was with us too.

Stories like yours are wonderful to hear and I appreciate you sharing. Thanks for purchasing the book - with Michael passing way nearly four years ago (hard to believe), I can't begin to thank his wife Lee, sister Marya, brother Rob, Kevin Hughey (Watkins Glen), publisher Joe Freeman and photo editor (plus a 25 year friend) Gordon Kirby enough for letting me come along for this great journey in presenting the story of Bobby Marshman.