- - - - -

Length of investigations

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 17:41

We are more than 3 hours after the Verstappen/Leclerc clash, and there is still no decision. It is not the first time something like this takes this long.

Why can Indycar and MotoGP hand out decisions in 2 or 3 minutes, but F1 needs half a day?

Advertisement

#2 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 17:48

maybe due to the uproar of Canada to factor in as well and maybe waiting for fans to leave the track

#3 Laster

Laster

• 3,921 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 17:51

Well it’s decided now. No further action.

#4 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 17:53

Indycar and MotoGP aren't run by the FIA.

#5 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 18:09

Simples.  I've never heard of a stewards decision in MotoGP ending up with lawyers getting involved.

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,522 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 18:09

A right decision is better than a quick decision.

I'll leave it to the other thread to discuss whether it was the right decision.

#7 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,968 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 18:10

It's partly because drivers need to complete the PC and all interviews before they can go to the stewards.  (SKY sports f1 went off air only at the same time drivers went to stewards room)

I sort of wonder why it's necessary to talk to the drivers, it's not as though they talked to the drivers in the Vettel/Hamilton incident before giving a decision so why is this different.  It would save a lot of time if they didn't have to talk to the drivers.  I don't know how what LEC/VER says will change the decision, it's obvious what LEC and VER will argue for and what arguments they wil use.

But on the other hand Vettel was trying to complain today about 'people in chairs' making decisions so talking to the drivers about their experiences in car would mitigate that 

Edited by SamH123, 30 June 2019 - 18:11.

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 18:12

maybe due to the uproar of Canada to factor in as well and maybe waiting for fans to leave the track

This stuff happened way before Canada though. I remember that we waited 3 hours for the race result in Monza 15 for example

#9 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 18:41

This stuff happened way before Canada though. I remember that we waited 3 hours for the race result in Monza 15 for example

Not to mention Schumi/Rascasse 2006 (somewhere around 22:30 IIRC) and Lewis/Alonso Hungarogate 2007 (decision somewhere around midnight IIRC)

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,522 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 18:43

Even supposedly clear cut technical decisions have sometimes taken hours. E.g. Schumacher's Belgium 1994 DQ for excesive plank wear.

#11 wookles

wookles

• 661 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 18:46

Do we really need a thread to provide the answer to what is actually a fairly simple question ?

#12 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 19:28

Simple explanation over the delay.

Liberty waiting to see how many posters on here will stop watching F1 if the decision goes against their favourite.

Then tell stewards to make decision that loses the least viewers....

#13 pdac

pdac

• 17,266 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 19:35

Simple explanation over the delay.

Liberty waiting to see how many posters on here will stop watching F1 if the decision goes against their favourite.

Then tell stewards to make decision that loses the least viewers....

Most definitely this.

#14 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 19:47

I love the typo part

“The primary part was we didn’t get going [with the stewards’ hearing] until 6pm, [because of] the various media commitments, the [television] pen and the post-race press conference,” said Masi. “The hearing itself, give or take, was about an hour with all parties involved.

“The stewards deliberated, looked at other cases, precedents, and spoke between themselves.

“By the time you write the decision and then make sure there are no typos or anything in it and so forth, and then summon the teams back, delivering the decision to them, it quickly [adds up].

“Time flies a lot more when you’re sitting outside like all of us than it does when you’re sitting in the room.

“So it was just one of those things, they were considering absolutely everything.”

https://www.motorspo...ewards/4486338/

#15 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,586 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 20:46

Wonder if Ferrari’s propensity to misuse the review process, to try and make non appealable penalties appealable, influenced the time taken?

ie take a few hours to try to make sure it’s impossible for them to claim ‘new elements, to avoid the thing dragging out over 2 weeks again.

#16 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,747 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 20:48

It's partly because drivers need to complete the PC and all interviews before they can go to the stewards. (SKY sports f1 went off air only at the same time drivers went to stewards room)

I sort of wonder why it's necessary to talk to the drivers, it's not as though they talked to the drivers in the Vettel/Hamilton incident before giving a decision so why is this different. It would save a lot of time if they didn't have to talk to the drivers. I don't know how what LEC/VER says will change the decision, it's obvious what LEC and VER will argue for and what arguments they wil use.

But on the other hand Vettel was trying to complain today about 'people in chairs' making decisions so talking to the drivers about their experiences in car would mitigate that

The idea of the driver steward is to get a drivers eye view.

#17 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 20:48

The FIA are clearly just trying to build people up by making them angry and tense with the suspense of waiting, before giving a decision and making people even angrier.

It's a great play from them.