Photo
- - - - -

What should Sebastian Vettel/Ferrari do?

• Please log in to reply
958 replies to this topic

Poll: The future of Vettel at Ferrari... (415 member(s) have cast votes)

Sebastian Vettel should?

1. Change teams (75 votes [18.07%])

Percentage of vote: 18.07%

2. Stick with Ferrari and hope things get better soon (122 votes [29.40%])

Percentage of vote: 29.40%

3. Call it a day, retire from the sport, and enjoy spending more time with his family (218 votes [52.53%])

Percentage of vote: 52.53%

Ferrari should?

1. Continue to have faith in Vettel (112 votes [26.99%])

Percentage of vote: 26.99%

2. Start looking at replacements (state who) (303 votes [73.01%])

Percentage of vote: 73.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,627 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:43

Much has been made about Sebastian Vettel's recent form. After another clumsy collision in today's race, questions are just going to continue about Vettel's future both at Ferrari and in the sport more generally.

So, what do you think Vettel should do? Eddie Jordan believes he'll join Mercedes at some point, and maybe a change of scene will help turn things around. Perhaps he should just remain at Ferrari, and hope things get better eventually, or should he just call it a day completely?

And from Ferrari's perspective, what do you think they should do? Should they be starting to look at replacements for Vettel, and if so, who? Or should they just concentrate on sorting out the car first, and worry about the Vettel problem later?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Edited by JHSingo, 14 July 2019 - 16:43.

Advertisement

#2 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,382 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:44

From Reddit:

2019 Silverstone - Crashed into Verstappen
2019 Bahrein - Spun off after battle with Hamilton
2018 USA - Crashed into Ricciardo and spun
2018 Japan - Crashed into Verstappen and spun
2018 Singapur - Crashed in Fp2
2018 Monza - Crashed into Hamilton, lap 1
2018 Hockenheim - Spun in the rain while leading
2018 Paul Ricard - Crashed into Bottas, lap 1
2018 Baku - Locked up going into turn 1, lost lead
2017 Mexico City - Crashed into Verstappen then into Hamilton, lap 1
2017 Singapore - Crashed into Raikkonen and Verstappen, lap 1
2017 Baku - Intentionally crashed into Hamilton under safety car
2017 Canada - Crashed into Verstappen, lap 1
2017 Sepang - Crashed into Stroll after the race

#3 anyeis

anyeis

• 1,488 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:46

According to Ted Ferrari development is going against Vettel. So maybe they have

Edited by anyeis, 14 July 2019 - 16:46.

#4 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,403 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:46

I think Ferrari should keep him another year and if it continues like this then let him go.

Don't know where he should go though

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,365 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:47

There is more to life than F1. I'd like to see someone of his calibre, at least in previous years, switch disciplines.

#6 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,808 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:50

Good question, I don’t know.

#7 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 941 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:52

Ferrari have one of the strongest pairings in F1. They will be stupid to change it, 

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,516 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:54

Vettel definitely looks like someboy who needs a change, especially if Leclerc is going to take charge, which is not certain but a lot points to it.

I dont think that Ferrari has to get a rid of him, it's not like better drivers are on the market and so far the relationship between them is fine, although I would love to see more changes at the top teams. But they definitely should stop believing that he will magically become their next Schumacher. Leclerc definitely deserves a shot.

Personally I think they should stick together that one more year, especially since you dont know if the car will be capable to win the title next year and as you dont know how much better Leclerc would handle this situation, but if it's still bleak after this they should seperate.

#9 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,365 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:55

I think Ferrari should keep him another year and if it continues like this then let him go.

Don't know where he should go though

Just look at Alonso, Vandoorne, Vergne, Rossi and even Ericsson. They are much happier and more successful bunnies outside of F1. Do we know what Vettel thinks of ovals? And imagine if we had two drivers going for the triple crown, rather than just the one.

#10 Xwang

Xwang

• 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:55

Maybe Ricciardo or Hamilton

#11 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,117 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:57

Ferrari made the big mistake of going for Alonso and Vettel over Hamilton back in the day, they cannot make the same mistake with Max. He must drive for them in his prime. Vettel should retire, he doesn’t have it anymore. I don’t know who else Ferrari can lure, not too many good young drivers today.

#12 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 597 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:58

Much has been made about Sebastian Vettel's recent form. 

I'm staggered that people think his issues are recent.  He's only ever been 'good' out in front.  He's had two issues his entire career:  making mistakes in wheel to wheel racing and getting petulant and angry when he underperforms (thereby making things worse).

His entire career is littered with examples of the above.  I like the guy as a person but as a racer I always felt he was promoted above his talent.

#13 rog

rog

• 1,199 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:58

Ferrari needs a fresh start without Vettel because it didn't work out and it is clear even with a slightly better car he can't win another Championship against Hamilton or Verstappen.

#14 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 865 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:59

Ferrari made the big mistake of going for Alonso and Vettel over Hamilton back in the day, they cannot make the same mistake with Max. He must drive for them in his prime. Vettel should retire, he doesn’t have it anymore. I don’t know who else Ferrari can lure, not too many good young drivers today.

There is no way Ferrari can manage Max vs Charles in any proper way. A shame though!

#15 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,329 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:59

Vettel doesn't have better options and should attempt to stay at Ferrari

Ferrari should try to get Max or Lewis.

None of it will happen next year though.

#16 thefinalapex

thefinalapex

• 847 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:00

From Reddit:

Those last 2 are wrong. He backed out of turn 1 at Canada 2017 that wasnt his fault. Also sepang 2017 wasn’t one sided.

#17 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,371 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:00

Why should Ferrari get rid of Vettel? He's doing a great job as the number two driver. Slower than Leclerc, but not by too much, taking out his opponents and he is a champion so great for marketing.

#18 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,371 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:01

Only joking I like Vettel, he was doing fine before Canada IMO and since then something has changed - did losing the win in Canada hurt him more than we think? Perhaps. 

Edited by f1paul, 14 July 2019 - 17:01.

#19 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,006 posts

As I said before, he needs a fresh start, at Red Bull. 

Advertisement

#20 Garndell

Garndell

• 852 posts

Vettel is clearly not enjoying his career right now, can see him calling it a day in F1 and going for Indy 500/Le Mans just to try and get it before Alonso.

Ferrari are probably already evaluating their options, Max would be their best bet but would Max jump to Ferrari in their current form? I'm not so sure he would.  If they could prize Ricciardo away from Renault he'd be good solid driver for them, but hard to get.  Don't think Hulk would fit the bill, Ocon probably too erratic for them to gamble on & Gio just not ready.

#21 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 5,749 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:02

Maybe Ricciardo or Hamilton

I can not see Hamilton going red, he has far to much freedom at Mercedes and it isn’t as political as the red team is and would be!

#22 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,516 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:04

Going for Alonso wasnt a mistake, he was clearly the best driver on the grid during his time at Ferrari.

#23 peroa

peroa

• 10,386 posts

They could always get Kimi back ...

#24 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 20,189 posts

I believe Vettel is showing signs of 'Ferrari fatigue'. The pressure on a driver in this team have always been greater than anywhere else, and it appears it is taking a toll on the German, who's been mistake-prone over the last two seasons or so. That doesn't mean that I think he's necessarily past his prime, but he needs to find a friendlier and less overtly political environment where to exercise his talent, be it in F1 or elsewhere.

Ferrari on the other hand might be tempted to double down on their recent leap of faith of hiring a young and relatively unproven driver. Given Ferrari's recent past, hiring Leclerc this early seemed like a gamble, but so far it has somewhat paid off, with the young contender ending up eclipsing his more experienced team mate. And given that Ferrari has Schumacher Jr lined up in their development program the same way Leclerc was not too long ago, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a German replacing another one at the Scuderia.

#25 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 932 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:07

I think he should stick with Ferrari because of two reasons: one, it's his dream to win a title with them (sometimes miracles do happen) and two, he has no better option at the moment. Say he goes to Mercedes, but what if he cracks again when Lewis puts pressure on him? He will just lose again and it will be more painful when he will have equal machinery with his main rival.

Meanwhile, from the team's perspective, I think that they should steal Ricciardo from Renault. I'm a suporter of Seb, but honestly, I'm just fed up. In fact, I'm also fed up with Ferrari as well and with their silly and totally n00bish mistakes.

#26 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,516 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:07

I believe Vettel is showing signs of 'Ferrari fatigue'. The pressure on a driver in this team have always been greater than anywhere else, and it appears it is taking a toll on the German, who's been mistake-prone over the last two seasons or so. That doesn't mean that I think he's necessarily past his prime, but he needs to find a friendlier and less overtly political environment where to exercise his talent, be it in F1 or elsewhere.

Ferrari on the other hand might be tempted to double down on their recent leap of faith of hiring a young and relatively unproven driver. Given Ferrari's recent past, hiring Leclerc this early seemed like a gamble, but so far it has somewhat paid off, with the young contender ending up eclipsing his more experienced team mate. And given that Ferrari has Schumacher Jr lined up in their development program the same way Leclerc was not too long ago, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a German replacing another one at the Scuderia.

Mick is nowhere near as talented as Leclerc is, he will need the next F2 season and then a couple of years at Alfa/Haas before they can even think about promoting him.

#27 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:08

He should slither away into retirement and pretend it is because he is unimpressed with the 2021 rules package.

#28 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,589 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:09

I think Vettel is done with Ferrari and he definitely needs a change, but I don't see where he could go to.

Big problem is that in recent times he looks not only mistake prone, but he seems also to have lost his speed in relationship to Leclerc, although this could be a psychological thing more than a real loss of speed.

Maybe there is one last destination: to Red Bull, where he is well regarded and they need a decent second driver along Verstappen. Vettel is not old and maybe a fresh restart could help him find his former speed.

For Ferrari, they don't need another top driver, Leclerc seems to be their future. A second driver in the mould of Bottas would be OK.

#29 Bliman

Bliman

• 1,276 posts

I think he needs to quit. I can only see a downward path. He cannot go to Red Bull because Max will overshadow him badly.

He cannot stay at Ferrari because Leclerc is better. So he has no options left.

Maybe he should stick for one more year and hope that Ferrari makes a car that is clearly the best. In that way he can become champion next year and retire in peace.

Whatever, I think that Ferrari needs to stick with him. I think it is Vettels decision. Ferrari also need to focus of having a better car. They still haven't delivered a car to him that is clearly better then the rest if you compare it to Mercedes over a season.

#30 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,371 posts

Mick is not even good enough to be in F1 yet, nevermind Ferrari.

#31 Brod

Brod

• 906 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:10

Something needs to change. Vettel is still fast so I don't want him to retire (even tough I don't like the guy) but his dream to be a Ferrari driver is slowly turning into a little nightmare. Maybe go back to RB? 

Ferrari? They should call Alonso (or Hamilton if they can get him). Maybe Ricciardo if he is available. 

I don't think guys like Bottas or Ocon would be a worthy replacement. If people are not happy with Vettel, they won't be happy with lesser drivers (after comparing him with Hülkenberg, I'm not even sure if Ric would be a step up). 

Bring Alonso back...at least he would show how good Leclerc really is. 

#32 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,589 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:12

From Reddit:

Canada 2019: Went off-track under pressure from Hamilton.

#33 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,322 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:15

Vettel is done. What's the point any more?

#34 Anuity

Anuity

• 234 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:21

Seb should stay. I think he has been driving quite well this season overall. They have a future star in Leclerc hence there's no need for Max or Lewis anyways.

It just feels that Seb is overdriving the car quite a lot of times, because well in the end of the day it's pretty clear that they have yet produced a really good package.

#35 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,200 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:22

Mick is nowhere near as talented as Leclerc is, he will need the next F2 season and then a couple of years at Alfa/Haas before they can even think about promoting him.

In similar circumstances, as the son of a beloved Ferrari legend, Jacques Villeneuve steered clear of the team entirely. I think that would also be wise for Mick (although Alfa or Haas would be fine to begin with). It's never going to be the same as the Schumi Ferrari legend and they shouldn't even try. By all means support his career, though, as Mercedes supported Schumi's.

#36 Lights

Lights

• 16,390 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:23

If I was Vettel I'd try to stick to Ferrari. Honestly, if anything they'll provide him with a pretty good car with which he can get some silverware now and then. Where else can he go for that? I'd be very surprised if Mercedes or Red Bull is interested in him right now. And that's the thing: because he's had so much success in the past, it would just be weird to see him go to Haas or McLaren or whatever other midfield team and see him lap around there. Doesn't feel right and I can't see that happening. So either Ferrari or retire if he's indeed done with the sport like he sometimes claimed he is.

If I was Ferrari I'd be looking at replacements. This partnership has been going on long enough but despite a decent chance for the championship in 2017 and a great one in 2018, Vettel hasn't managed to get the trophies back to Maranello. This is his 6th year for Ferrari, I'm not sure what they're further trying to get out of this? On the other hand I also wouldn't know who they can put in that seat. They don't really have any hot shots lined up right now. Maybe their idea was Gio, but he hasn't impressed nearly enough for that. Despite Vettel's frequent mistakes, he's still one of the best drivers in the field.

Edited by Lights, 14 July 2019 - 17:42.

#37 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:24

Could we respect the OP and discuss the future of Sebastian Vettel's career and Ferrari's driver options. The past is the past and can't be changed.

#38 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,193 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:31

I think Seb is tired with F1, at least that's the vibe I've been getting from him and his body language for some time now.

Alonso and Leclerc would be pretty damn awesome.

Edited by BuddyHolly, 14 July 2019 - 17:31.

#39 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 932 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:33

Alonso is history! Plus, Ferrari already have enough problems in the team without his politics. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Alonso will ever accept Leclerc being in front of him. If they had sign Alonso by now, he would have already thrown his toys and moan on live broadcast about how Ferrari has an F2 car, putting the team to shame.

Edited by Ramon69, 14 July 2019 - 17:34.

Advertisement

#40 Lights

Lights

• 16,390 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:33

I think Seb is tired with F1, at least that's the vibe I've been getting from him and his body language for some time now.

Alonso and Leclerc would be pretty damn awesome.

Eh, replace a driver tired with F1 with another driver who was tired of F1? How does that work.

#41 Huffer

Huffer

• 1,013 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:34

It's difficult to see Seb staying at Ferrari given his current form from last year onwards. It's as if his head is just not in the right space at all, and doesn't show any signs of improving. 

But I guess the real question is; will Ferrari dump him if he doesn't improve? Seb hasn't been all bad at Ferrari - he's been a good, steady hand at Ferrari during a period where they really needed it on their road to recovery after the start of the hybrid era. I'm pretty sure that this will weigh in any hard decisions that they have to make.

I'm typically pretty harsh on Seb - but it's not as if he's a bad driver. He is a 4 x WDC after all, and he didn't end up being in the one of the best cars by pure accident. He may not quite be up there with the likes of Alonso, Schumacher or Hamilton - but he's not far off. I'm certain Ferrari see quite a bit of value in keeping Vettel on as long as he wants to stay, even if the results aren't quite what they would be expecting. 

#42 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,049 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:37

Vettel should call it a day.

Ferrari should go for, in descending order, Hamilton, Ricciardo, and Verstappen.

And I reckon Ricciardo is the most likely.

#43 shure

shure

• 824 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:40

Not entirely clear why it's even a question.  Vettel is a proven race and title winner and he's better than most of the grid.  Why on earth would a) Ferrari consider replacing him and b) Vettel consider going elsewhere?  His issues don't include lack of support from the team and other than Mercedes there's nowhere else which would give him better chances of winning.  And Ferrari have a very strong pairing and neither driver has a history of causing issues within a team, so I really don't see what would be the motivation for Ferrari to look elsewhere.

Gotta hope that the ones running the team are less reactive to the recent past than people on forums...

#44 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,193 posts

Eh, replace a driver tired with F1 with another driver who was tired of F1? How does that work.

I really don't think Fernando was tired of F1, just tired of McLaren

#45 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,187 posts

I think Ricciardo in a Ferrari is a really great idea, he's a very capable driver and needs to be fighting for wins right now.  

#46 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,467 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:41

The thing with Vettel is Ferrari are paying him a huge amount of cash to be the leader, the champion who will steer them back to glory. Except he's being shown up by his second year teammate who is hungry and very fast.

If Leclerc can keep evolving at this rate, he'll go into 2020 wanting to lead the team. And they'll have faith in the kid to do just that. He's that talented and intelligent, which is why they promoted him so quickly.

That being the case, where does it leave Seb? Sure he could stay (like say Piquet in his Benetton years) but he'd be on peanuts because they could replace him otherwise. His performances haven't justified his salary for a long while...

Would he want that? I doubt it. Yet I don't see many other options within F1 that would appeal to him.

Of course this is based off him not turning things around fast. You never know I guess.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 14 July 2019 - 17:43.

#47 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,333 posts

He is under contract for 2020. It would be dumb not to see it through.

Ferrari are not going to hire Alonso again and pay another driver to not drive again.

#48 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,644 posts

You can already feel the momentum switching to Leclerc. Vettel has been in pretty poor form after he lost the win in Canada, whilst Leclerc has scored a podium in the last few races.

Vettel is also too laid back during interviews which makes me think he doesn’t care much about results anymore. I think a retirement is more on the cards than a switch to Mercedes or Red Bull.

Who should Ferrari hire? Ricciardo of course. A fast enough driver, with the charisma a Ferrari driver needs. Also, his Italian roots are big plus as well.

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:48

Not entirely clear why it's even a question.  Vettel is a proven race and title winner and he's better than most of the grid.  Why on earth would a) Ferrari consider replacing him and b) Vettel consider going elsewhere?  His issues don't include lack of support from the team and other than Mercedes there's nowhere else which would give him better chances of winning.  And Ferrari have a very strong pairing and neither driver has a history of causing issues within a team, so I really don't see what would be the motivation for Ferrari to look elsewhere.

Gotta hope that the ones running the team are less reactive to the recent past than people on forums...

Vettel is a proven race and title winner and he is better than most of the grid. However, when you consider the high standards usually expected at Ferrari, there must be question marks over his value to the team now.

In the last year he has been very mistake prone in races and he is being beaten by his inexperienced team mate on a regular basis. This wasn't really a problem when he joined Ferrari. In 2017 he put together a credible title challenge and was doing so last year until Germany. Since then something has changed. He's not driving like the four time champion he is. If today's incident had been the only one then it's fair to say the forum is being reactionary. But the trend has been going on for a year now.

#50 RustyRuss

RustyRuss

• 238 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 17:48

He should slither away into retirement and pretend it is because he is unimpressed with the 2021 rules package.

^ Nailed it.  :up: