Photo
- - - - -

What should Sebastian Vettel/Ferrari do?

• Please log in to reply
958 replies to this topic

Poll: The future of Vettel at Ferrari... (415 member(s) have cast votes)

Sebastian Vettel should?

1. Change teams (75 votes [18.07%])

Percentage of vote: 18.07%

2. Stick with Ferrari and hope things get better soon (122 votes [29.40%])

Percentage of vote: 29.40%

3. Call it a day, retire from the sport, and enjoy spending more time with his family (218 votes [52.53%])

Percentage of vote: 52.53%

Ferrari should?

1. Continue to have faith in Vettel (112 votes [26.99%])

Percentage of vote: 26.99%

2. Start looking at replacements (state who) (303 votes [73.01%])

Percentage of vote: 73.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#951 baddog

baddog

• 27,115 posts

Posted Today, 06:45

What signs? Faster than Webber and Raikkonen. Ok. Slower than Ricciardo and Leclerc so far. So that would indicate a 'no' to me anyway.

Over the season, not slower than Leclerc at all. Sure Leclerc is a great driver who is having a great run of form right now, and good on the kid, and should he prove faster over the rest of the season I will not hesitate to concede that.

Advertisement

#952 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,017 posts

Posted Today, 07:49

Over the season, not slower than Leclerc at all. Sure Leclerc is a great driver who is having a great run of form right now, and good on the kid, and should he prove faster over the rest of the season I will not hesitate to concede that.

Fair enough. I do agree that he has to, of course continue to be faster.

#953 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,651 posts

Posted Today, 07:52

Serious question - how long do you give him if this continues?

Well I would immediately sign Ricciardo as Leclerc's teammate for 2021 & 2022, and Vettel can continue for 2020 since he has a contract. 

#954 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,651 posts

Posted Today, 07:54

he is as fast as any of them. I know we will never agree on that but I am in no doubt of it whatsoever. 

Did you watch the 2014 Formula One season?  :confused:   It clearly demonstrated that Ricciardo was much faster than Vettel, thereby showing that Vettel is not as fast as 'any of them'.  For some reason Ferrari signed Vettel to an expensive contract anyway, which I thought was a very strange decision. 

Ferrari would have been better off bringing in Vettel on a modest salary as a driver to complement Alonso  :up:  .

What signs? Faster than Webber and Raikkonen. Ok. Slower than Ricciardo and Leclerc so far. So that would indicate a 'no' to me anyway.

Agreed.  This is a logical analysis.  :up:

Sure Leclerc is a great driver who is having a great run of form right now, and good on the kid, and should he prove faster over the rest of the season I will not hesitate to concede that.

He will be.   ;)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, Today, 07:57.

#955 shure

shure

• 824 posts

Posted Today, 08:23

Did you watch the 2014 Formula One season?  :confused:   It clearly demonstrated that Ricciardo was much faster than Vettel, thereby showing that Vettel is not as fast as 'any of them'.  For some reason Ferrari signed Vettel to an expensive contract anyway, which I thought was a very strange decision. 

I think that's a very simplistic argument.  These guys aren't robots and it's clear that Vettel has a narrower operating window than some, but that doesn't mean that when he is in that operating window he can't be as quick as others.  He has shown tremendous pace on a number of occasions at times in his career.  There are obvious reasons why Ferrari took him on, including 4 very prominent ones

#956 FormulaWin

FormulaWin

• 198 posts

Posted Today, 08:27

Having mulled this subject for awhile, I think the best thing Seb could do is take a 1 year sabbatical from F1 - go race in another series, or take a break from racing altogether.

It feels as if he is stuck in a downward spiral where mistakes lead to pressure, which lead to further mistakes....and so on.

Even though Lewis is my favourite driver, I think Seb might be a guy i'd prefer to go for a beer with (he's maintained an excellent sense of humour despite all of his trials and tribulations) - i'd like him to find a way back to his best (which I don't think would be good enough to win it all, unless he has an outright dominant car).

To restate my earlier position; I think Ferrari should employ LEC as No.1 for 2020, and an obvious No.2 driver (possibly Giovinazzi).

Edited by FormulaWin, Today, 08:36.

#957 tomjol

tomjol

• 841 posts

Posted Today, 08:34

General point, have we all really not learned that “driver A beat driver B in season X, and driver C beat driver A in season Y, therefore driver C must be better than driver B” is far too simplistic a way of judging this stuff? In such a complex sport, is this really the standard of fan analysis?

Agreed. One year left on his contact, very highly paid and supposed to be the defacto #1.

The trend continues and he's in a tough spot if he wants his career to continue in a top level team. Time is ticking, Leclerc is getting ever more comfortable in that team and Seb is under real pressure.

What I have noticed on this forum is that the level expected of Seb has dropped. What is expected of him now (cut the mistakes and be on par with Charles both pace/results wise and he's fine) is in stark contrast to pre season (defacto #1, star/team leader, have a second year driver under control generally).

The bar has well dropped.

The bar has indeed dropped.

The bar was unreasonably high. Setting it that high allows the usual suspects to then argue how **** he is vs the unrealistic expectations they started with.

Edit: Vettel is of course not the only victim of this technique.

Edited by tomjol, Today, 08:38.

#958 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,123 posts

Posted Today, 09:23

The video missed Malaysia 2015 FP2 :stoned:

#959 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,862 posts

Posted Today, 12:46

So many excuses...