- - - - -

The wait for a rainy/wet F1 race...

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#51 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,113 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 14:26

Formula E had a bunch of them this season, previously they’d had none. It’s called weather...

Shhhhhhhh stop with your crackpot theories.

Advertisement

#52 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 3,896 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 14:38

Not sure what is supposed to be that great about a really wet race - even if the Race Director allowed it to continue.

Given the current style of F1 aero, as soon as there is any significant depth of water on track, there is so much spray generated that it is almost impossible for anyone to overtake, and if they even tried it the chances are that the cameras would miss it.

Once the spray is thrown up it tends to hang there for some time, unless there is a significant cross wind to blow it away or it is still raining quite hard.

It tends to make the task of the flag marshals pretty difficult - if on blue, all you can see is the car at the front of the pack and if on the yellow you can see absolutely sod all once the lead car passes you - all you can do is hope you hear the bang.... 

#53 ThomasBB

ThomasBB

• 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 13:53

PRAk9fq.png

Am I jinxing it? I feel like I'm jinxing it...

#54 CPR

CPR

• 5,008 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 14:16

Bit too far out for forecasts to be reliable. For what it's worth, weather underground suggests 30C for the weekend, mostly sunny, small chance of some light rain.

#55 UltimateLegacy

UltimateLegacy

• 66 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:26

I'm waiting for the snow-affected races. I'm sure "climate change" will throw them up soon.

Don’t most F1 races take place during the warmer seasons like Spring/Summer for each region? I don’t think we will ever have snow. Maybe we will have hail though.

#56 TauriJ

TauriJ

• 1,091 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:34

Still too early to say if its gonna rain in Hockenheim next weekend. Some forecasts even showing +37c but with huge thunderstorms.

#57 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:40

Don’t most F1 races take place during the warmer seasons like Spring/Summer for each region? I don’t think we will ever have snow. Maybe we will have hail though.

Most of them yes, even though there has been races in European Winter period in past either in start of the year or in final parts of the year.

Hopefully there will be not snow even though it has occured just like hails.

Mostly in the US or Canadian races and that situation stood for years up to the year of 1981 which by then Bernie had enough of extreme cold weather, downpour torrents and even luckily melting rains of snow.

By extreme, even very famous British Winter has at least once cancelled a Grand Prix even though it was just a non-championship one of Race of Champions which almost were postponed to May for a final avoidance of the winter weather since sometimes there are snow rains even in April, if the winter weather is persistent enough and if I'm not mistaken, back in the year of 1979, 40 years ago to be precise, there was quite a cold winter just like three years later in 1982 when actually most British cities actually had their cold records shattered by quite a large margin even in south parts of the land. :eek:

Edited by Blue6ix, 20 July 2019 - 06:42.

#58 Cavalier53

Cavalier53

• 280 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 17:27

@ TAZ: it was this year 2019 that the Spa WEC had genuine snow during the race May 5, in the afternoon.

Not to mention the snow cover the people camping found in the morning!

#59 azza200

azza200

• 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 18:08

@ TAZ: it was this year 2019 that the Spa WEC had genuine snow during the race May 5, in the afternoon.

Not to mention the snow cover the people camping found in the morning!

and it was a brilliant race 

Advertisement

#60 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,295 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 21:22

PRAk9fq.png

Am I jinxing it? I feel like I'm jinxing it...

You are... Thanks! :(

#61 sopa

sopa

• 11,958 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 16:29

I think it's a coincindence that F1 has had a dry spell. 2018 British Moto GP had to be cancelled, because it was too wet! It's not like it's not raining in the world any more. Just the weather patters have been shifting around. And regarding climate change the argument is that the likelihood of extreme weather events increases - which means drought spells, but also sudden downpours and thunderstorms. Which in turn means that the likelihood of F1 races getting cancelled or red-flagged may be higher were it to coincide with rain for once. So maybe we won't be better off in terms of getting more actual wet races...

#62 BRG

BRG

• 16,783 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 17:19

Just to mention that the Tour de France today had to stop the stage prematurely at Val d'Isere after a freak hailstorm left the road covered in deep drifts of hail and a great deal of water.  They were using a digger to try to clear it.  

#63 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 17:34

Shhhhhhhh stop with your crackpot theories.

Maybe. But for sure  the winters are getting warmer  and the rainy seasons less so and draughts more more frequent..Certainly during my lifetime.

#64 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 18:35

I think it's a coincindence that F1 has had a dry spell. 2018 British Moto GP had to be cancelled, because it was too wet! It's not like it's not raining in the world any more. Just the weather patters have been shifting around. And regarding climate change the argument is that the likelihood of extreme weather events increases - which means drought spells, but also sudden downpours and thunderstorms. Which in turn means that the likelihood of F1 races getting cancelled or red-flagged may be higher were it to coincide with rain for once. So maybe we won't be better off in terms of getting more actual wet races...

Not only that, a couple of yeara ago F1 was bone dry while MotoGP was soaking every other week.

#65 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,179 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:50

Every now and then, shall we start a thread like this...

#66 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,391 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:00

Just to mention that the Tour de France today had to stop the stage prematurely at Val d'Isere after a freak hailstorm left the road covered in deep drifts of hail and a great deal of water.  They were using a digger to try to clear it.  

At 2,700 m elevation though

#67 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,391 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:19

Rain at Hockenheim :)

#68 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,928 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 13:03

It's so nice to see a grid walk in the rain. All the 'celebs' are presumably such delicate little flowers that they can't possibly risk getting wet!

#69 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 652 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 13:07

Every now and then, shall we start a thread like this...

Indeed. I take full credit if today’s race is a classic.

If it’s rained off and a safety-car fest then I apologise profusely.

#70 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 19,447 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 13:08

THE WAIT FOR A FULL WET STANDING START

#71 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 652 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 13:11

Some of these guys will have never driven an f1 race lap in the wet

#72 richardnunney

richardnunney

• 70 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 13:15

Pointless. Another race ruined by safety car start. May as well cancel all running if wet like in the USA.

#73 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,101 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 13:20

The wait is over.

#74 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,682 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 15:06

Worth the wait.

#75 Peat

Peat

• 4,353 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 15:07

WE WANT MOAR!

#76 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,284 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 15:12

This is the F1 I fell in love with... No pointless SC circling anymore please...

#77 masa90

masa90

• 405 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 15:17

Weird to see if the tires are the reason for the really bad driving witnessed today .

#78 BRG

BRG

• 16,783 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 22:52

At 2,700 m elevation though

Nope.  At 2700m it was bone dry.  The hail fell below Val d'Isere village, so at about 1500m.

Anyway, Europe's weather has turned nasty all over and we got the fabled wet race at last.  Curiously the 'best drivers in the world' seemed to struggle with it a lot more than the Superformula crew in Japan a week or so ago.  And it was a lot wetter at Fuji, without one SC intervention.  Oh well, put it down to lack of practice for the F1 circus - that and the crappy tyres.

#79 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 2,729 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 23:35

How’s the weather like at Budapest next week?

Advertisement

#80 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,548 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:00

How’s the weather like at Budapest next week?

I've seen forecasts around 24-26 degrees. Friday may be rainy.

#81 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,391 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:42

Nope.  At 2700m it was bone dry.  The hail fell below Val d'Isere village, so at about 1500m.

Anyway, Europe's weather has turned nasty all over and we got the fabled wet race at last.  Curiously the 'best drivers in the world' seemed to struggle with it a lot more than the Superformula crew in Japan a week or so ago.  And it was a lot wetter at Fuji, without one SC intervention.  Oh well, put it down to lack of practice for the F1 circus - that and the crappy tyres.

Oh OK, it's still in the alps though, local hail storms in summer are not that uncommon.

#82 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 652 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:33

Last time I went to Spa to watch the GP it was utterly miserable for trackside spectators.

I’m not going this year, so I hope it’s torrential. What F1 needs is what the weather has been like in scotland this past week. One moment it’s a moderately fine day, and the next we get rain that’s coming down so fast/hard like the rain I’ve seen in Asia when visiting. And then back to being dry again 5 minutes later.

Honestly, a race at Knockhill this past week would have been fascinating.

#83 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 418 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:22

I’m sure the mind plays tricks, but I feel like F1 seasons of old had a lot more rain affected races than modern times. I’d love to see a wet f1 race again soon, the extra bit of unpredictability... although, that said; red flags and safety cars seem to be the order of the day in recent years.

Also seems to be a habit of building up the ‘threat’ of rain... only for the heavens to open post-race when the tv lot are hanging round the paddock!

Last time wet tyres were used the entire race? Brazil, 2016.

Wets used properly in part of the race? Singapore, 2017.

Wets used, but track not wet enough for them? Germany, 2018.

.... hope one of the remaining races includes a downpour. There will be drivers in the current field who have never driven an F1 car in wet conditions. No wonder Lewis seems to Hoover up the wins when the rain does (rarely) fall.

We didnt have HAARP in the past. To clear the weather for expensive and glamorous events.

#84 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,101 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:02

We didnt have HAARP in the past. To clear the weather for expensive and glamorous events.

Radios don’t control the weather.

#85 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 418 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:30

Radios don’t control the weather.

Ok, than explain to us how come we have 3 times less wet weather races than before

#86 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,679 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:03

Ok, than explain to us how come we have 3 times less wet weather races than before

Changing climates? Dont know if you've noticed but all seasons have changed quite a bit over the last 20 years (well at least where I'm living, NW europe)

Edited by Beamer, 14 August 2019 - 10:03.

#87 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 418 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:15

Changing climates? Dont know if you've noticed but all seasons have changed quite a bit over the last 20 years (well at least where I'm living, NW europe)

NW Europe is part of the western civilization where the climate is being optimised using HAARP device

Outside of western civilization HAARP is messing the weather in order to weaken national economies.

#88 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:21

You really want this discussion after we had a wet race in Singapore of all places?

#89 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:21

Funny, we have less European races than ever. ;) And heatwave after heatwave isn't optimizing the climate.

#90 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 418 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:33

It is still in the very early phase. So errors and gremlins are common.

#91 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 418 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:35

HAARP does not follow mathemathical paths it follows natural trajectories so calculations are very complicated and error prone in this early days of HAARP

Edited by BiggestBuddyLazierFan, 14 August 2019 - 10:35.

#92 Sndr

Sndr

• 259 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:04

i'm bringing my tinfoil umbrella to spa just to be on the safe side then.

#93 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,101 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 14:08

NW Europe is part of the western civilization where the climate is being optimised using HAARP device

Outside of western civilization HAARP is messing the weather in order to weaken national economies.

HAARP is a bloody radio set for research. It does not and cannot control the weather any more than doing a rain dance can cause it to rain.

Please join us back on planet Earth.

#94 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,694 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 14:19

Nope. At 2700m it was bone dry. The hail fell below Val d'Isere village, so at about 1500m.

Anyway, Europe's weather has turned nasty all over and we got the fabled wet race at last. Curiously the 'best drivers in the world' seemed to struggle with it a lot more than the Superformula crew in Japan a week or so ago. And it was a lot wetter at Fuji, without one SC intervention. Oh well, put it down to lack of practice for the F1 circus - that and the crappy tyres.

Also the fact the F1 cars are crazy low and easily aquaplane? Dunno how the SF cars compare but they might well be much more of a handful in the wet. Maybe even the simple fact they are so optimised in terms of downforce and in terms of extracting the correct temperature window in tyres, the F1 cars are ridiculously sensitive to conditions, no wonder their world class drivers start looking like amateurs when the conditions are unusual.

I just think blaming the drivers doesn't make sense, we are talking about very different cars, it could easily be the cars being much harder to handle.