Photo

Ford versus Ferrari movie (merged)

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#151 Alan Baker

Alan Baker

• 158 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:49

I was treated to seeing this as an early birthday present. The recreation of the cars and the Le Mans pits is impressive, it's just a pity what they did with them. If Miles (or anybody else) had driven a mid sixties endurance racer in the manner shown he would have been out in the first hour, and who knew that these cars were as fast as current F1 cars. The racing scenes are ridiculous (Miles winning Daytona '66 on the last corner of the last lap, barging other cars off the track at Le Mans and slamming into straw bales without getting a scratch on the car) and the historical inaccuracies pile on each other. We have Miles listening to the 1965 Le Mans race on a radio in the workshop in California having been banned by Ford from driving, when in reality he was driving one of the two 7 litre Fords in the race. Enzo Ferrari is shown attending the 1966 Le Mans race when he famously didn't go to any races. The Ford and Ferrari pits are next to each other when in reality they were far apart, the pits at Le Mans being allocated in car number order, so the Fords running numbers 1 to 8 were at the start of the pit lane, while Ferrari, with numbers in the twenties, were much further down. Ford trying to arrange a dead heat between all three cars when in reality the third car was over a hundred miles behind and played no part in the dead heat saga. The whole thing is designed to give the impression that Shelby and Miles were almost totally responsible for the success of the programme to the exclusion of everybody else, and that Miles was the fastest driver in the team (he wasn't, Phil Hill set the lap record in 1965 and Dan Gurney in 1966). Having said that the recreation of the cars was good, it is regrettable that they tried to pass off a dressed up GT40 as the J-car/Mk.IV at the end.

As is usually the case with any film  "based on a true story", the truth comes a poor second to what is sometimes described as "artistic licence". 

Advertisement

#152 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:04

Even allowing for the 'it's just a movie' angle, I do agree that the accuracy ( or lack of ) spoilt the movie for me. I can see the commercial reason for changing things such as Daytona 1966 ( wining by a margin of 8 laps would make for dull viewing ) but I found the cartoonish representation of the Ferrari team rather silly and, in the portrayal of Lorenzo Bandini, almost in rather bad taste. He came across almost as a character from Wacky Races.

My wife - who has no in-depth knowledge of racing - enjoyed the 'buddy' aspect but admitted wincing at the drivers constantly glaring daggers at each other whilst actually racing. And it did feel odd that every photo I've seen of the Le Mans '66 finish shows the cars throwing up spray and spectators sheltering under umbrellas......

On the plus side, Matt Damon did better than I thought he would and the cars looked showroom-nice.

Sorry, I'm just a grumpy old codger. I'll stick to Steve McQueen's monumental folly for the closest 'feel' of being there.

#153 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 378 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:39

Sorry, I'm just a grumpy old codger. I'll stick to Steve McQueen's monumental folly for the closest 'feel' of being there.

Wasn't planning to go and see it at the cinema. Might make a decent in-flight movie while eating "dinner" one day. I'll be sticking to the original too.

#154 Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

• 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:57

Partly based on what I'd read here before the movie came out, I expected it to be dire. I saw it last night with my film-maker son and thought it was not just hugely enjoyable but surprisingly authentic in many ways. The Le Mans set was breathtaking - no other word for it - and yes, although you suffer the usual racing movie tropes of grimacing drivers glaring across at each other, much of the racing and high-speed testing portrayed had a look that matched the documentary stuff we all enjoy so much. Talking of which, these films are not documentaries - it distresses us old farts and enthusiasts when machines and locations are off kilter but ask yourself: did it matter that the Aviatek biplanes in Lawrence of Arabia were clearly dressed-up Tiger Moths or that T E Lawrence did not act in glorious isolation or was as tall and as good-looking as Peter O'Toole? Did it matter that all the Messerschmitts and Heinkels had Merlin engines in the Battle of Britain? Both of these are rightly regarded by our generation as great movies, because their 'spirit' was right and the dramatisation worked.

Yes; Enzo was not at Le Mans in 66 and the race action was different in reality, but that little gesture he makes in the film - I won't give it away - neatly encapsulates the respect we all have for the real Mr Miles. A dramatic drevice, yes - but an intelligent one.

Grand Prix is a superb period piece, all the more appealing now because it was made at the time and thus could hardly fail to show the real thing - even if some of faked up cars like the Eagle Weslake were way off. Le Mans has the same virtues but an almost non-existent plot and it bores non-racing people. By contrast Le Mans 66 is rather a good entertainment, it is brilliantly acted, Christian Bale in particular plays a very engaging Ken Miles (did Ken come from the Midlands - Bale's accent is spot-on) the script and acting avoids the usual shouty maveric/tearful scenes with the wife stuff (Ken takes the real or made-up blows from Ford management on the chin and his wife and son are shown to be supportive of his racing) and my son and I were both moved and made to laugh a lot. 

What's not to like, I would say. Do go and see it, folks.

#155 Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

• 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:03

I should add that in his very positive New York Times review of the film A O Scott hilariously reckoned it was a cockney accent that Christian Bale was affecting - so I was dreading a Dick Van Dyke Ken Miles as I set out for the cinema

Edited by Philip Whiteman, 16 November 2019 - 13:04.

#156 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,237 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:10

Artistic license in spades like Carroll Shelby nicking Ferrari's stop-watches. Peaky Blinders accents from Ken & Mollie Miles, but their son who was I imagine born and educated in California was very English indeed. Not the world's greatest film, but I'm not ashamed to say I really enjoyed watching it. It reminded me why I fell in love with the sport in the first place.

#157 DCapps

DCapps

• 495 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 14:07

I asked because the Daily Mail contacted me for comments and I told him that I thought that my friend Preston was the person he really needed to contact regarding the race and its background.

Edited by DCapps, 16 November 2019 - 14:07.

#158 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 14:51

Partly based on what I'd read here before the movie came out, I expected it to be dire. I saw it last night with my film-maker son and thought it was not just hugely enjoyable but surprisingly authentic in many ways. The Le Mans set was breathtaking - no other word for it - and yes, although you suffer the usual racing movie tropes of grimacing drivers glaring across at each other, much of the racing and high-speed testing portrayed had a look that matched the documentary stuff we all enjoy so much. Talking of which, these films are not documentaries - it distresses us old farts and enthusiasts when machines and locations are off kilter but ask yourself: did it matter that the Aviatek biplanes in Lawrence of Arabia were clearly dressed-up Tiger Moths or that T E Lawrence did not act in glorious isolation or was as tall and as good-looking as Peter O'Toole? Did it matter that all the Messerschmitts and Heinkels had Merlin engines in the Battle of Britain? Both of these are rightly regarded by our generation as great movies, because their 'spirit' was right and the dramatisation worked.

Yes; Enzo was not at Le Mans in 66 and the race action was different in reality, but that little gesture he makes in the film - I won't give it away - neatly encapsulates the respect we all have for the real Mr Miles. A dramatic drevice, yes - but an intelligent one.

Grand Prix is a superb period piece, all the more appealing now because it was made at the time and thus could hardly fail to show the real thing - even if some of faked up cars like the Eagle Weslake were way off. Le Mans has the same virtues but an almost non-existent plot and it bores non-racing people. By contrast Le Mans 66 is rather a good entertainment, it is brilliantly acted, Christian Bale in particular plays a very engaging Ken Miles (did Ken come from the Midlands - Bale's accent is spot-on) the script and acting avoids the usual shouty maveric/tearful scenes with the wife stuff (Ken takes the real or made-up blows from Ford management on the chin and his wife and son are shown to be supportive of his racing) and my son and I were both moved and made to laugh a lot. 

What's not to like, I would say. Do go and see it, folks.

This is the review I'll keep in mind when going to see it.

Focus, Focus, I can do this... :-)

#159 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 883 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:16

I went to see Le Mans ‘66 yesterday and apart from one other person, had the movie theatre all to myself :)

I thought the movie was a bit too long and the story could have been told a little more concisely.

One thing I was impressed by, however, was the recreation of the old tracks. Willow Springs really looks like a 1960s American raceway, and Le Mans, especially the start-finish section looks very much like it should. Sure, not all of the details are right - California Speedway doesn’t have the steep banking the real Daytona does - but all in all they did a great job bringing these old racing grounds back to life, much better in any case than Rush, where every circuit looked like Cadwell Park.

There’s plenty of artistic license and it falls victic to some cliches, sure, but all in all it’s worth seeing.

Advertisement

#160 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:20

Saw it yesterday, and agree that, if you don't know the real story, it works remarkably well as a movie about auto racing, family, and friendship, and as such is a cut above most films about auto racing. People unaware that Ken Miles ever existed will learn a thing or two about a remarkable man, and with any luck will seek out the many books and documentaries about the era to learn more. And while a number of shortcuts are taken, the movie presents in great detail the effort that goes into developing a race car.

If you know the real story, as detailed in other posts, the lack of attention to detail is embarrassing, in some cases. Ford did not keep Miles out of the 1965 Le Mans race. No mention is made of the success at Daytona in 1965. Daytona 1966 was not even remotely that close. And with the number of cars they cared to get right, the cobbled-up Mk II's pretending to be the J-Car and the Mk IV late in the movie are jarring.

So if you feared that the makers would assume the real story wasn't good enough and that they'd "Hollywood" it, they did, and perhaps folks here should wait for video and fast forward through what they'd consider the embarrassing parts. But if you want to see a movie about the human side of auto racing, the costs it involves personally and professionally, and the sheer effort involved in going sports cars racing, there may be none better.

Edited by red stick, 16 November 2019 - 19:12.

#161 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:22

Oh, and Leo Beebe's estate should probably sue. 

#162 BRG

BRG

• 17,171 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:58

I've not seen the film yet, so please can nobody give away the ending.   ;)

#163 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 18:08

Ford wins.

(so glad I didn't post that)

#164 john aston

john aston

• 1,761 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 19:13

I thought it was the most frightful  old tosh , as full of silly mistakes as nearly every other racing movie has been , with a few added  for good luck.   But  I thought Bale was terrific  , and Damon  ,too , was excellent. Sure it is not a documentary but it did purport to porrtay real events . I literally burst out laughing at some of the on track action - it looked like a retro themed  Fast 'n Furious at times.

#165 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,870 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 19:14

Ran across this 26-minute documentary on YouTube about the finish of the race. Joe Macura, "the father of the 427" has a great quote at the end.

https://www.youtube....h?v=fhiWRTDZ7-E

Fabulous documentary- thanks for posting.

#166 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 19:18

I thought it was the most frightful old tosh , as full of silly mistakes as nearly every other racing movie has been , with a few added for good luck. But I thought Bale was terrific , and Damon ,too , was excellent. Sure it is not a documentary but it did purport to porrtay real events . I literally burst out laughing at some of the on track action - it looked like a retro themed Fast 'n Furious at times.

I saw it in a half-filled theater populated largely by males over fifty. If this film's approach attracts enough of the younger set to get them to tune into Le Mans next year to see what all the fuss is about, I'm good.  ;)

EDIT: And as an aside, as I write this afternoon in the U.S, its rating on the Rotten Tomatoes survey of movie reviews is 91% among critics, 99% among moviegoers (Rush, the last mass market auto racing film, was 88%, 88%). Perhaps rather than knocking its flaws, we should seize this as an opportunity to use popular culture to reel in the uninitiated . . .

Edited by red stick, 17 November 2019 - 02:12.

#167 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,003 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 22:47

Went to see it this morning. Alternative to go to Daytona for 24 hr Classic. Visited that on Thursday and as an aside it’s now a big event.
Back to film . Went with my wife and we both thought it great entertainment with a cast of very good actors. I was at Le Mans in 66 and the film depicted the main story
Obviously some of the facts had been twisted to make a good screen play but you would expect that.
Ken Miles, a very good driver whose exploits have been understated for past fifty years.
Money well spent!

#168 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 458 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:49

Just back from the theater with my wife, and my reaction mirrors several others here. As with many biopics, especially for sports figures, a number of key events and plot points are Hollywood-ized to the point of being distracting if not laughable to race fans and historians -- I seriously hope to someday see a racing movie where the director doesn't resort to the shot of our Hero Driver slamming the trans into a higher gear or suddenly mashing the gas pedal to the floor to execute a pass. And while dramas need an antihero, I don't get why the writer felt the need of stretching the truth to vilify a real person.
That said, the focus on the relationship between Shelby and Miles was very well done and really is as much the heart of the movie as the racing scenes, if not more so. Director James Mangold said he had to pick one aspect of the story to focus on, lest he end up with a 20-hour movie if he tried to tell everything, and he felt the Miles -Shelby story was a compelling core. Bale is getting all the buzz for playing Miles but Damon is equally excellent as Shelby, IMHO.
I'll add this: as with "Rush," my wife, a casual fan by osmosis, said she really liked it -- I heard her choke up a little during, you know, almost at the end -- and asked me over dinner about what was accurate, what fudge the truth a little and what were outright fabrications.
Maybe that's what you hope for from this movie. Numerous columns were published in print and online noting what was fact or fiction or in between after the recent Freddy Mercury and Elton John biopics; one can hope audiences of this movie are similarly motivated to learn more about how it all really went down.

#169 john aston

john aston

• 1,761 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:43

But that's a forlorn hope  -most people see a film in its own right , as self contained entertainment to be watched and forgotten, not as a gateway to anything else  . And , in the unlikely event  of someone following up many films purporting to portray a true story, they'd be brought up short when confronted with a very different truth . For example , the recent film about Alan Turing portrays a blackmail scene which was pure fiction , and the excellent Crown on Netflix , which I greatly enjoyed , contains many parallel narratives to reality     . 

Hollywood plays fast and ;loose with the truth to make a better product, and whilst I have no issue with that as the truth is often inconveniently  dull , F.v F is just an entertainment.. and it succeeds in  being a fairly good one . . 

Edited by john aston, 17 November 2019 - 07:44.

#170 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,428 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:25

Saw it last night and, having read all the posts here beforehand about the Hollywoodifications, was prepared to be annoyed and grumpy but instead came away surprisingly impressed and slightly emotional - I suppose partly because it's 'my era'.

The sight of those P4s in full flight made me catch my breath, though the GT40s occasionally looked a bit dumpy to me (not to mention that pretend Mk IV at the end). And Mr Bale's Sutton Coldfield accent seemed spot on, compared with what I remember from living there in the '70s. And talking of sound, my local fleapit has a very good sound system that did the automotive music full justice - I'd really recommend watching the movie with that benefit rather than at home and/or through earbuds, as the sound-track is pretty immersive.  

Reaction of the audience - mostly male and matching my grey hairs but with female partners and a few teenage offspring also in attendance - included occasional laughs and some gasps, which pretty much matched my own.

#171 MCS

MCS

• 4,165 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:44

I saw it yesterday afternoon with just nine others in the audience and despite the inaccuracies - which were I suppose inevitable to a degree - ultimately enjoyed it even though the portrayal of the Ferrari team was unnecessarily silly. 

There was, however, just simply too much footage of gear shifting and right foot hard down on the accelerator.  At one point it seemed as though it was every time Miles got in the car.

Funnily enough my wife now wishes she had joined me!

#172 Alan Baker

Alan Baker

• 158 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:13

Saw it last night and, having read all the posts here beforehand about the Hollywoodifications, was prepared to be annoyed and grumpy but instead came away surprisingly impressed and slightly emotional - I suppose partly because it's 'my era'.

The sight of those P4s in full flight made me catch my breath, though the GT40s occasionally looked a bit dumpy to me (not to mention that pretend Mk IV at the end). And Mr Bale's Sutton Coldfield accent seemed spot on, compared with what I remember from living there in the '70s. And talking of sound, my local fleapit has a very good sound system that did the automotive music full justice - I'd really recommend watching the movie with that benefit rather than at home and/or through earbuds, as the sound-track is pretty immersive.  

Reaction of the audience - mostly male and matching my grey hairs but with female partners and a few teenage offspring also in attendance - included occasional laughs and some gasps, which pretty much matched my own.

"those P4s" were actually P3s. The P4 was the 1967 car!

#173 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,428 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 13:20

"those P4s" were actually P3s. The P4 was the 1967 car!

Thanks - I blush (especially as I was at the '66 and '67 Test Days).

Still rather lovely, though.

#174 BRG

BRG

• 17,171 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 17:08

I asked because the Daily Mail contacted me for comments 

I found this rather disconcerting.  Firstly, the thought of the Mail actually researching something instead of just making stuff up is hard to swallow.  And then the Mail actually consulting someone who knows what he is talking about is even more surprising.  

#175 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,045 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 17:37

I found this rather disconcerting.  Firstly, the thought of the Mail actually researching something instead of just making stuff up is hard to swallow.  And then the Mail actually consulting someone who knows what he is talking about is even more surprising.  

Don should be grateful that he isn't female. If he was, you can be sure that the DM would have asked him/her to "flaunt his assets", "show us his pins", or wear something "barely there". For any non-UK TNFs who out of curiosity decide to have a first look at the Daily Mail website, don't let your eyes stray to the right hand column of "celeb news", or gutter press as most of us have come to think of it. Some of the paper's content is not too far from the National Enquirer UK style..

#176 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 368 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 17:45

Ford wins.

(so glad I didn't post that)

We knew that, but which one?

#177 MarkHealy

MarkHealy

• 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 21:55

Agree that the Le Mans pits (and start/finish straight) were superb. However, the rest of the circuit wasn't as impressive, didn't look anything like Le Mans......someone needed to tell the producers that French roads don't have American (yellow) road markings. 

#178 BRG

BRG

• 17,171 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 22:05

Don't tell me, don't tell me!   :eek:

#179 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,549 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 22:40

This comes from Frank Lance:

A former Shelby crew member:
We went to the movie yesterday and I enjoyed it. There were lots of things that were not only not true but would not have happened, such as a fist fight between Shelby and Miles. I thought that Matt Damon did a much better job as Shelby than Bale as Miles. Bales over acted as Miles, doing things like his facial expressions, and other mannerisms that were not Ken. I saw trailers of the movie before I went and thought that Matt Damon was not a good fit as Carroll but in the movie I changed my mind. I am glad that I went and may even go again.

Frank Lance

Advertisement

#180 JoBo

JoBo

• 395 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 00:32

Saw it yesterday.

GREAT entertainment although a lot of details are wrong: the Ferrari did not look right, Ferrari was NOT in LM in 1966, and -according to my knowledge- ol` Enzo d not speak English beside the word Coca-Cola...

etc., etc.

But heyyyy - its Hollywood and Tinseltown loves the action and the legend more than the truth! We should be so harsh here.

Not one race movie is 100% accurate and will never be!

JoBo

Edited by JoBo, 18 November 2019 - 00:34.

#181 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:31

The one lacking a bow tie on the bonnet. ;-)

#182 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,477 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:43

This is the review I'll keep in mind when going to see it.

Focus, Focus, I can do this... :-)

Ford GTs, not Ford Focus's.   :cool:

#183 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:46

Huh. I best go see to verify. ;-)

#184 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,350 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:48

Saw it with my wife on Sunday night at our local Randwick Ritz. In one of their small cinemas and it was full - quite a cross section of males and females plus many males of our era. Blokes next to me discussing Lorenzo's retirement etc.

All the Hollywood - ing as mentioned by many TNF'rs already was pretty tedious, but we both really enjoyed it and thought Damon and Bale did a very good job, especially Damon who I initially thought would have been totally miscast.

My wife was exhausted from the racing action by the end of it so for the average punter it's probably pretty exciting. Better than "Rush" but I can still watch the Spa footage from "Grand Prix" and not tire of it - still the best IMHO. 

#185 404KF2

404KF2

• 7,934 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:29

Saw it Saturday and it was great entertainment.  If you're a stickler for historical accuracy, stick to documentaries (and even those are risky). 

Ford vs Ferrari is probably one of the best racing movies of them all. 

I love Le Mans, mainly because a month before part of it was filmed (the actual race) I saw the same cars and drivers (save McQueen) competing at Spa Francorchamps and believe me, I was super impressed.  But Le Mans has no story to speak of.  This movie did.  

#186 JoBo

JoBo

• 395 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:24

Saw it Saturday and it was great entertainment.  If you're a stickler for historical accuracy, stick to documentaries (and even those are risky). 

Ford vs Ferrari is probably one of the best racing movies of them all. 

I love Le Mans, mainly because a month before part of it was filmed (the actual race) I saw the same cars and drivers (save McQueen) competing at Spa Francorchamps and believe me, I was super impressed.  But Le Mans has no story to speak of.  This movie did.  

When I saw it 2 days ago no less than 8 (!!) Cobra- and 2 Ford GT40 owners were also present. It became a long night... :stoned:

JoBo

Edited by JoBo, 18 November 2019 - 11:25.

#187 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 248 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 15:02

My 6-year-old son and I saw it Friday. The theater had reserved seating and the only ones left were on the second row, which was a little surprising that it was a sellout. Being up close was pretty cool, and my boy seemed to love it. He watched the whole 2.5 hours, laughed a lot and made "wow" faces several times during the car scenes. At the end, the crowd applauded. I can't recall that ever happening at another movie I've been to. The crowd was all ages, from my son to teens to old guys with Shelby jackets.

Anyway, Damon did a great job as Shelby; I quit thinking pretty early on, "Hey, he should be taller with darker hair!" Like others said, the racing scenes were a mix of pretty good and cliche. USA Today reports the movie was No. 1 at the U.S. box office this weekend.

#188 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 15:32

Now you've done it.

The Kid'll want a kart by Tuesday. :-)

#189 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 248 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 15:36

He did want to race the MkII against a Ferrari on my CSR2 mobile game that night!

#190 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 16:00

Uh oh... better seek a bigger budget. ;-)

#191 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 248 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 16:04

Uh oh... better seek a bigger budget. ;-)

Yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and get him his own lawn mower, a little bigger bike to pull it down the street and line up some yards for him. :yawnface:

#192 mariner

mariner

• 1,821 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 17:10

My wife and I went to se it Sunday we both enjoyed as well made film with decent acting and good diection etc. Of course it's simplified, not only is FAV Slough left out but so is Kar Kraft Detroit, but then  a landscape picture isn't  just photo look a like of the scenery either.

We loved the  re-ceation of teh '60's LA street scapes and as a person who worked a bit for a US Automaker the Ford executive scenes were pretty much dead on.

#193 kartman24

kartman24

• 87 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 22:42

Saw the film on Friday, four of us went including my wife and we all enjoyed it. My contribution to the spotted inaccuracies was that there was a Lola T70 kit box on Miles`s sons bedroom shelf in the scene where the Le Mans track gets drawn.

Surely that came several years after the GT40 was built............ M

#194 404KF2

404KF2

• 7,934 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:11

Oh and the too modern Mini by Miles' shop.  But it's about atmosphere, not the details.

#195 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,880 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:00

Very close to the end of that Mail article there is a photograph of the Formula 1 Ferrari 158 in its original form with the inlet trumpets between the cylinder banks. Worth scrolling down for if not reading the whole article. 

#196 Obster

Obster

• 155 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 19:01

Saw the film in full IMAX - do this if you can.
Loved it.
Yes, I know about the detail and story derivations. Spent several decades collecting the books and models.
But, it was fun to watch and I am happy to see the Ken Miles story told.

#197 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 138 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 00:37

On set when goofs or continuity errors are pointed out there is often, after consideration,  a response like : "... if they're watching that they're not watching the film ...".

It is a constant through production and post- and every effort is made not to detract from an audience's 'suspension of disbelief'.

That said - where was Graham Hill's moustache?

Edited by fnqvmuch, 20 November 2019 - 01:37.

#198 rl1856

rl1856

• 210 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:15

We saw the movie earlier tonight.   Theater was mostly empty and we were able to secure ideal seats.

It could have been better.    It could have been worse.

A few things stand out:  

I half expected Lorenzo Bandini to twirl a villainous mustache based on his depiction.  

No mention of 1964 and the very relevant facts that laid the groundwork for later success: specifically Ford's very public failure, and the overall success of the Daytona program.  

Nice shout out to Lance Reventlow, because he represented a direct link to the history of sports car racing in SoCal, and it was his shop that Shelby purchased to start the Cobra program.  Many of the initial Cobra employees were inherited from Reventlow's operation.  

The racing scenes were very nice, and one had the feeling of being on track.  But I did not like the "Days of Thunder" touches.  

They only touched on how racing crazy the US was in the mid 60's.  Everyday people knew what was happening on the racetracks of Europe.  American participation made it front page news.   It really was an "Us vs Them" competition.  

I was surprised I did not see an end credit stating "No real Cobras, GT40's or Ferrari's were damaged in the making of this movie".   

#199 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,752 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:21

On set when goofs or continuity errors are pointed out there is often, after consideration,  a response like : "... if they're watching that they're not watching the film ...".

It is a constant through production and post- and every effort is made not to detract from an audience's 'suspension of disbelief'.

That said - where was Graham Hill's moustache?

Was it supposed to be Graham Hill or Phil Hill ?

Vince H.

Advertisement

#200 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 138 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:07

The one wearing the distinctive Graham Hill helmet, not the American, who didn’t have moustaches in any photo I’ve seen.

Edited by fnqvmuch, 20 November 2019 - 12:09.