Photo

Ford versus Ferrari movie (merged)

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#301 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 324 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 20:55

No, of course he wasn't, but how did all their lap times compare?

Not the crucial factor though certainly, GPs are a quite different discipline, and there's a lot more to winning endurance races than sheer speed.

Precisely my point. And Miles and Hulme were well on their way to winning Le Mans in '66 until the Ford execs stepped in. You can imagine how unpalatable they would have found another Miles win, especially the big one. If Miles had been the winner, he would have been behind the wheel for all four of their wins to date.and people might have suggested that Miles was the bigger factor, not the Ford car. Untrue and unfair of course and maybe that wouldn't have happened. but it would have taken some of the attention away from Ford and put it on Miles, who they weren't crazy about to begin with.

One thing the movie highlighted was the mechanical sympathy Miles felt for the Ford GT MkII. While I found a lot wrong with the movie, the record shows they got that part right.

Edited by R.W. Mackenzie, 27 November 2019 - 20:56.

Advertisement

#302 Macca

Macca

• 3,556 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:04

As I said, I didn't want to fuel the fire; I was just conveying what was said in the R&T report.

Perhaps, if all those who were intending to see it have done so, we could start a list of inaccuracies, timeline mistakes, omitted races (and drivers), and misleading scenes generally. See if we can get it up to 100 items......

I'll start with one that is not a spoiler; the Hansgen car at Daytona '66 was not green - all the works cars were white/black with differently coloured flashes.

Paul M

#303 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,941 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 13:45

Ferrari never attended a race. he'd only show up at practice for the Italian GP

The number 27 Ferrari was not a coupe,  but chassis number 0846 a spyder driven by Ginther/Rodriguez

The P3 wheels are in fact 1967 style P4 wheels

And this just by the trailers I've seen.

#304 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 324 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 15:03

I don't know for sure if this is in error but it seemed highly unlikely that Phil Hill and Dan Gurney (in a Corvette?!!) would have been in what seemed to be a rather low level SCCA race at that point in their careers. Perhaps I am wrong about the status of the Willow Springs race but it just didn't ring true for me.

Again, at the beginning Miles is portrayed as barely employable and on the brink of financial ruin and Shelby as having to scam potential customers to sell Cobras to stay afloat. I'm sure they both had their low points, but by the time Ford approached them to take over the GT project, Shelby and Miles had been quite successful with both the Cobras and the Cooper-Fords and had already built the Daytona Coupes that were so successful in 1965. It suits the drama but doesn't really seem likely that Ford would have pinned their hopes on as sketchy an operation as was portrayed.

Likewise, Ford were into racing in practically every category, especially Indy and NASCAR, but none of it is mentioned.

And as I've already expressed, why the f*** could they not get Bandini's helmet right?!! Bad enough that he and Hansgen and others were portrayed as cartoon characters.

For me the absolute worst was the racing scenes. They were absolutely ghastly! The Willow Springs event really struck me as an Elvis racing movie on steroids: cars unrealistically bunched, not a racing line to be seen, cars being thrown, tires squealing, through corners like they were trying to impress the girls at the local burger joint, bashing into each other while they exchanged sneers and gear shifts purely for dramatic effect.

I could go on and on but that's enough for now.

#305 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,481 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:03

I'd say "more than enough."

We're going to see it in about a week. If enjoying it immensely as I know we will -- and who wouldn't, it's a racing movie! -- there's no way in hell I'll admit it here.

#306 10kDA

10kDA

• 136 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:07

Saw it a few days ago with a friend who has little to no interest in racing, but is a GM girl at heart and therefore has a little bit of anti-Ford bias. She loved it as an adventure story and I kept my mouth shut, for the most part, about the inaccuracies. In the end I thought it worked fairly well as a Buddy Movie that happened to have actual historical events as a backdrop and the names of real people attached to the characters. I'm not a Matt Damon fan but he did pretty well in this one. My friend asked "What was the name of that car? Did it really look like that?" She was absolutely unfamiliar with the GT40 and everything about it. I told her, yes, it really looked exactly like that, and she said "Chevy finally made a new Corvette that looks like a car from 50 years ago?" Well... yes, I guess you could say that. :p

The drivers-in-cockpit scenes were laughable and, as R.W. stated, could have been stock footage from "Viva Las Vegas". Why is it that with a very few exceptions racing movies are made by people who don't know how to drive a stick? Maybe my own lack of great racing results is due to the fact that I never figured out how to pass someone by simply shifting gears. Movie transmissions must be manufactured by the same people who made 16-shooter Smith & Wesson .38s.

I'm not sure who the driver depicted by the guy getting out of the "Mark IV" at the end was supposed to be but I suspect Dan Gurney. "Shelby's" mutterings about a guy who had been a business partner in the very recent past as well as a team driver really rubbed me the wrong way. Dramatic license notwithstanding, that bit was inappropriate. As I whispered to my friend soon after the movie started, the racing world was a small one.

If historical accuracy could be maintained, a "prequel" about the Cobra Daytonas and the '64-'65 seasons would seem to contain as much drama as a screenwriter and director could hope for without having to come up with much personal creativity. Just saying...

#307 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 123 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 16:45

I'm not sure who the driver depicted by the guy getting out of the "Mark IV" at the end was supposed to be but I suspect Dan Gurney. "

I believe it was Alex Gurney, with an all too brief part.

To each their own but this is not a documentary film, its a Hollywoodified movie with some level of historical basis. Looking for more is to be guaranteed to be disappointed.

Edited by Bikr7549, 29 November 2019 - 16:45.

#308 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 324 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 17:04

I'd say "more than enough."

We're going to see it in about a week. If enjoying it immensely as I know we will -- and who wouldn't, it's a racing movie! -- there's no way in hell I'll admit it here.

I have to apologize. I took Macca's "if all those who were intending to see it have done so" too literally and released more of my pent up frustration about the racing scenes than I should have before everyone has had a chance to see it and judge for themselves. And so, as you have said, "more than enough" about that.

I think I have admitted twice that I can't be objective in judging this movie as entertainment. I view racing movies through three very biased lenses, quality of racing scenes depicted, historical accuracy and compelling performances by the actors. And my assessment of those three aspects is extremely personal.

I am also passionately interested in military history and view war movies through the same biased lenses. I also saw "Midway" this week and actually found it better than I expected. But I have no outlet to express my opinion and share reactions to that movie like I have here. (A bit frustrating really.)

So I hope you enjoy the movie when you get to see it and I'm looking forward to your comments.

#309 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,193 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:32

Er, souvenir socks, anyone?

https://heeltread.co...ts/66-gt40-pack

(usual disclaimers)

#310 Keir

Keir

• 5,239 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 13:50

True. But he wasn't being considered for a Formula 1 seat here. He and Ruby had won Daytona in '65 and '66 and Sebring in '66. What other credentials did he need? Who else had won a points race for Ford prior to Le Mans '66?

simply put, Ken wasn't the best driver in the lineup, unlike how he was portrayed in the movie.

#311 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 324 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 15:06

simply put, Ken wasn't the best driver in the lineup, unlike how he was portrayed in the movie.

Of all the faults and flaws in the movie, the overstating of Miles' abilities would rank right at the bottom. I don't recall it being claimed that he was the fastest driver in the lineup. All I recall is Shelby stating on two occasions that if you want to win at Le Mans you need a driver like Ken Miles. The results speak for  themselves.

#312 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 324 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 15:37

What was truly disappointing was how poorly the other drivers were portrayed or completely ignored. Because you are right that he was surrounded by drivers who are legendary. But they were lucky if their name was even mentioned or they were shown from the back with their helmet on. And the portrayals of Hansgen and Bandini, the only two who got any real attention, were truly awful. And would it have hurt to give Roy Salvadori some mention for being Shelby's co-driver in 1959 or Lloyd Ruby for assisting in Mile's three wins?

Also, the contributions of McLaren, Amon, and others to the development of the Mk II are completely ignored. But once again, that has to stand in line with all the other flaws in the story and you have to consider that the purpose of the story was to portray the exploits of an unsung hero of American racing.

Edited by R.W. Mackenzie, 30 November 2019 - 16:10.

#313 rl1856

rl1856

• 218 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:53

"...Again, at the beginning Miles is portrayed as barely employable and on the brink of financial ruin and Shelby as having to scam potential customers to sell Cobras to stay afloat. I'm sure they both had their low points, but by the time Ford approached them to take over the GT project, Shelby and Miles had been quite successful with both the Cobras and the Cooper-Fords and had already built the Daytona Coupes that were so successful in 1965. It suits the drama but doesn't really seem likely that Ford would have pinned their hopes on as sketchy an operation as was portrayed.

Likewise, Ford were into racing in practically every category, especially Indy and NASCAR, but none of it is mentioned..."

Exactly.   History shows that Shelby and Cobra dominated US racing in 1963, then came very close to taking the FIA GT Championship from Ferrari in 1964.  They (with Miles' assistance) developed the Cobra and then the Daytona into capable machines.   

The movie provided no basis for the credibility of Shelby to be entrusted with the GT40 program.  He won the race as a driver in 1959; that was it.  Many drivers have won the race; how many are qualified to run a team organization that can win the race ?

It would have been very easy to give the backstory in the initial meeting with HFII.  Shelby  " I took 2 Ford engines, and $25k then created the Cobra that dominated US racing in 1963.  We developed the Cobra into the Daytona and came damn near to beating Ferrari this year !  (Pause)     I've watched the GT program- you bought a design from Lola, changed it around in the UK, then raced it....and what happened ?  Shelby American and everyone working for us are winners !  With Ford's resources backing us, we can WIN LeMans !   But I need total control to do it."      

Less than 30 sec of dialogue covers the back story and provides a credible reason why HF II would back Shelby. 

Edited by rl1856, 01 December 2019 - 03:54.

#314 Macca

Macca

• 3,556 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:44

That would have been a very good scene to include.

As to Miles' speed; he was swapping fastest laps at Sebring with Gurney, which Shelby had to stop by waving a hammer at them, and which may have contributed to Gurney blowing up on the last lap and which supposedly Beebe was annoyed by.

They were doing the same thing during the night at Le Mans, and again Gurney blew up, which could and should have been included, I think.

The director said he couldn't included all the races, but missing Daytona '65 and Sebring '66 out of the script meant it made less sense.

Paul M 

#315 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,380 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:41

As said a good film in general.

Inaccuracies that could have been prevented (by casting/directing)

- Franco Gozzi was a firm, black haired gentlemen, not a bald, thin guy like Corrado Invernizzi portrayed;

- Lorenzo Bandini was not such an agressive looking road pirate as portayed;

A pity no replica P3 was used and simulation took her place.

#316 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,892 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:57

Was Alan Mann mentioned at all?

Mrs T is taking me to see the film next week; she has absolutely no interest in motor-racing, from any era. I'll let her tell me if the movie is any good!  ;)  

Actually she was fascinated by the new Jim Clark museum, so I did her a dis-service just now.

#317 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 374 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 13:19

Was Alan Mann mentioned at all?

Mrs T is taking me to see the film next week; she has absolutely no interest in motor-racing, from any era. I'll let her tell me if the movie is any good!  ;)  

Actually she was fascinated by the new Jim Clark museum, so I did her a dis-service just now.

Tell her it's a relationship movie; Miles and Shelby, Miles and his wife and Miles and his son.  How a craggy faced, acerbic, cantankerous English race car driver can, on the one hand, have a productive, but conflictual, relationship with his Yank owner, but a loving, and thoughtful relationship with his son, while his wife works hard at providing emotional support for dad and engendering the son's relationship with dad.  Stay away from the sometimes goofy racing scenes, the various and numerous technical and historical errors;  Dan Gurney and Phil Hill racing at a SCCA regional at Willow Springs in 1963, the '63 Corvette at that race with a '67 hood, a '66 Mustang at the 1964 model introduction, P3 Ferraris with P4 wheels, 16" and 17" wheels on Cobras, Tilton pedal assemblies on the Ford GTs, never  mind MKIIs with fuel injection, a bodged up J-Car, Lorenzo Bandini played by Darth Vader, with the wrong helmet, yadda, yadda, and a hopelessly messed up chronology in the early part.  That, as long as the movie is, while ignoring the input of Eric Broadley, Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon, John Wyer, Lloyd Ruby and Denis Hulme and who knows who else, the movie does an OK job with the main characters. Ignore the trees for the forest and she will likely enjoy the movie.  You, on the other hand, can enjoy the eye candy of the garage scenes, much of the LeMans race, and the idea that many characters, cars and events of a fabulous era in racing are on the screen.

On another note, here is a link to the site of Race Car Replicas, who built the cars:  http://race-car-replicas.com/.

You can, however, tell your wife that Miles and Ruby won Daytona by 8 laps and the whole thing with Hansgen never happened,  Never mind that Mark Donohue was Hansgen's co-driver.

#318 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 14:06

There's a letter about the film in Autosport this week. It's from Mike Blanchet, one time FF racer and later director of Lola. It's generally good humoured, but points out the lack of credit given to Lola, and suggests "the ex-Lola people of that period... are doubtless spitting blood like me."

#319 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,481 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 15:01

Out of regret for Broadley's quitting the project? Understandable.

Going to see it tonight, at a little, 80 year-old theater in a little town. I won't be seeking out flaws over entertainment.

Advertisement

#320 red stick

red stick

• 4,237 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 20:22

I watched "The 24 Hour War" documentary again last night.  Not mentioned--Eric Broadly or Lola.

#321 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 801 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:32

So, I went and saw Ford vs Ferrari.

I liked it. I want very much to like all films set around car racing. All too often I'm disappointed.

Okay, this film glosses over some bits. Compresses some others. Takes liberties with still more. It's got the normal Hollywood quota of bullshit (mashing of pedals, smashing of gear changes, drivers eyeballing each other). And it has to. Let's face it; long-distance motor racing can be horribly boring if you don't have an involvement. Hell, even if you do, sometimes.

But it does a great job of telling Ken Miles' story - the journeyman driver who was done over by Ford's suits and finally, defied them by stuffing up their dead heat (another fact lost in the film).

Can recommend - not just a decent motor racing film, but a good film full stop.

Bruce Moxon

#322 h4887

h4887

• 934 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 22:51

Er, souvenir socks, anyone?

https://heeltread.co...ts/66-gt40-pack

(usual disclaimers)

Er, thanks, Tim...I seem to have just ordered a pair of Alpine A110 socks!   ( proper A110, of course)   :lol:

#323 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,941 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:56

I took my 80+ year old parents to see it this afternoon. Along with my brother and I we made up the only 4 people in the theater. That aside, my folks thoroughly liked it. I, on the other hand, thought it was atrocious. God awful racing scenes, terrible acting, the horrible portrayal of Bandini and just an overall feeling of blahhhh. The best part of the outing was watching the enjoyment of my folks and answering their questions afterwards. 

#324 Valiant273

Valiant273

• 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:39

I took three ten-year olds, my son and his two school pals whom are twins. Luckily it wasn’t a Democratic vote on what movie to see instead it was up to the person which financed the whole endeavor. It was a long movie to take three boys to especially when you ad in the fifteen plus minutes of ads before anything starts. The boys were entertained and interested, I could tell by the questions afterward.

At two & half hours I feel some of the astute observations already mentioned in this forum should not have been in the film. I would like to mention that the depiction of the post ‘65 LeMans fiasco meeting with H. Ford was if not totally accurate a good scene to include. I have been in similar situations and survived.

#325 d j fox

d j fox

• 136 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 20:57

Saw it the other day in a near deserted “Multiplex”

Enjoyed it—as a movie.

Thought the Le Mans sequences were good-the recreated pits look great; an added treat was a quick glimpse of a CD SP66 Peugeot on a trailer!

As mentioned above at least the race sequence looked vaguely like la Sarthe and not Cadwell Park

However, portrayting Lorenzo Bandini and Walt Hansgen as pantomime villains was ridiculous.

#326 mistakenplane

mistakenplane

• 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:40

Finally went to see it last week and really enjoyed myself. As a film, covering a subject I am interested in, it was fantastic. I suspect it will be up for more awards and deservedly so.

#327 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 324 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 17:26

Comments from a buddy of mine:

"Finally saw Ford vs. Ferrari, at a theater with D-Box immersive motion seats. Really made the driving and racing come alive. I enjoyed it, but I think my movie buff non racing buddy did more then me."

"I have little interest in seeing it again. Le Mans looked to be made of the same two corners."

"The best part was the interactive seats as they rumbled and tilted with the action. Even felt the lag between shifts. Need one for home."

Seems he was more impressed with the motion seats than he was with the movie.

#328 MCS

MCS

• 4,185 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 20:54

Not familiar with D-Box immersive motion seats, but think I might just have to be soon!

A colleague of mine took his twelve-year-old son and he loved it and wants to see it again.

#329 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,481 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 15:07

We came, we saw, we loved.

Imperfections abounded as we all know, but we wanted nostalgic racing atmospherics and got them in spades.

The manager is speaking to the owner about our inheriting the poster. I want.

#330 10kDA

10kDA

• 136 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 15:38

Let me know how it goes. I'm trying to wrangle the cardboard-box standup thing for the most recent "Godzilla".

#331 D28

D28

• 1,532 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 15:40

We came, we saw, we loved.

Imperfections abounded as we all know, but we wanted nostalgic racing atmospherics and got them in spades.

Can you fill us in on how Claudia Cardinale (Bridie Latona) fits into the story line? I've asked before here, no one seems to know. but it must be a bit part. Do you remember her?

Edited by D28, 12 December 2019 - 15:41.

#332 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,481 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 16:29

Let me know how it goes. I'm trying to wrangle the cardboard-box standup thing for the most recent "Godzilla".

Way too scary. ;-)

#333 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,481 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 16:34

Can you fill us in on how Claudia Cardinale (Bridie Latona) fits into the story line? I've asked before here, no one seems to know. but it must be a bit part. Do you remember her?

Only a bitless man could forget her!

Tonight's Westfalia Cinema feature has changed to:
"Once Upon a Time in the West."

Yowza.

No, I had no idea she was in F v. F...

#334 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,892 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 19:45

Saw it last night with a mate; Mrs T decided it was too long. Very entertaining, lots of things to gripe about by crusties like us:

Apart from all the stuff mentioned already on here, no mention of Lola, John Wyer, etc, Alan Mann and...…. the Nikon Ftn Photomic metering head was not around until 1988!  :smoking:

I could easily watch it again.

EDIT: and again!

Edited by elansprint72, 13 December 2019 - 20:44.

#335 BRG

BRG

• 17,385 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 17:10

the Nikon Ftn Photomic metering head was not around until 1988! 

:eek:  the horror, the horror....

Or, as Sir Michael Caine may or may not have said, not a lot of people know that.

#336 2F-001

2F-001

• 3,713 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 18:07

I haven’t seen the film yet; but my god-daughter has, and having only passed her driving test a few weeks ago, she now wants to attend a race school for track driving lessons. So it can’t all be bad...!

#337 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,481 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 19:56

That is the best effect we old speed guys can hope for.

#338 nexfast

nexfast

• 605 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 23:38

(Spoilers)

Saw the movie tonight. It is not a masterpiece but it is rather watchable. Suspend your knowledge of the events (or even the cameras...) and you will be entertained by this fight between the little smart guys against the vain powerful corporate interests.  Yes, Enzo Ferrari wasn't at Le Mans, for instance,but it is a powerful scene at the end where he acknowledges he was beaten by Miles more than by Ford Motor Corporation. Difficult to show it otherwise if you want to dramatize the scene. And fiction is about drama and emotions. There the film score some points, in my view. The family scenes, in particular those with Peter are emotionally strong without tear-dropping effects and dignified. Leo Beebe is a credible rascal, Iaccoca the usually guy sitting in the fence, Ford the pompous boss living the trauma of succeeding a great father, the scenes in Italy - the Ferrari factory -  are engaging . Production values are high (the Le Mans pits, like others said before me, the cars, the Coppertone pub, etc.). 

Yes, there is no mention of Eric Broadley but this is not a movie for enthusiasts and experts but for the great public, which in these times of politcial correctness we should be thankful for Hollywood to go against tide and treat car racing with respect.

Only annoying thing for me were the constant recourse to gear changing, gladiator glances and accelerators being pushed to show speed and competition. But that's a detail in, all things considered, an enjoyable experience.

#339 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 569 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:30

Also went to see it this week - and also enjoyed it quite a lot.

Except everything mentioned before (Enzo at LM, Miles not at LM, gearchanging etc.) almost three hours which went by without lenghts.

Only snag for me - had to see it dubbed German since I missed the only few days when they showed it in English. Not too bad, but some phrases always sound strange/wrong in German. I am now looking forward to the preordered Blu-Ray disc - but this will only come out in April.

By the way - had to go see it solo..Daniela did not want to go being afraid of me constantly pointing out mistakes... :lol:  Probably enjoyed it even more by not having someone to complain to ! :p

Advertisement

#340 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:31

I haven’t seen the film yet; but my god-daughter has, and having only passed her driving test a few weeks ago, she now wants to attend a race school for track driving lessons. So it can’t all be bad...!

Excellent, now you know what to do with that £100,000 you couldn't get rid of: a season in Formula 4.

#341 Macca

Macca

• 3,556 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 13:33

In looking through Ken Miles' race record, I found something I didn't know; there was a spare Ford Mk2 at Le Mans in 1966 that many of the drivers from all 3 works teams drove.

Does anyone know of a photo of it?

Paul M

#342 MCS

MCS

• 4,185 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 15:39

What number did it carry, do you know?

#343 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 17:30

The WSRP site lists Ford GT40 Mk II, chassis P1012, entered by Shelby American for Bucknum and Gardner, which ran only in practice as #6T.

http://www.wsrp.cz/wsc1966.html#7

Perhaps this might be the general T-car many of the drivers had a go in?

#344 nexfast

nexfast

• 605 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 22:03

In the movie,  Leo Beebe is the villain engineering the Le Mans dead-heat final to prevent a Ken Miles' victory. Here is  a different perspective about the man but that confirms a certain animosity towards Miles:

https://www.hemmings...e-mans-in-1966/

#345 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,445 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 23:31

the Nikon Ftn Photomic metering head was not around until 1988!  :smoking:

1968, I think (and the Nikkormat FTn in 1967).

#346 group7

group7

• 501 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 14:17

Maybe getting off topic here ? Macca & Tim, regarding Miles and the "T" car, are you suggesting that there was a third Mk.11 at Le Mans 1966 for the April tests ?

Amongst my materials I could only find  two listed.

#1012 carrying #2 for McLaren/Amon/Miles/Bianchi, on Saturday, and also Graham Hill & Jackie Stewart on Sunday.

#1011 carrying #3 for  Hansgen

I have on my computer two images of what is suggested as #1012 in April, one Miles exiting the car whilst it is in the sand bank at Indianapolis ? after an off (can't

see the #, the photois tight from the front), Another of Miles exiting the car in the pits, it carries #2 in this image. When Miles put the car in the sand after ten laps, the

Gilmer belt was damaged, and areplacement wasn't found till Sunday, before the car ran again.

This information comes from the Ronnie Spain book (my copy 1992) and the Registry of Cobras & GT40s, 4th. edition (2008) I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the

information in these two books.

I cannot post photos here, if any one would like to do so I can send them, pm me with a e-mail.

Michael

Edited by group7, 17 December 2019 - 18:50.

#347 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,748 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 18:45

Are there any indicative shots from the April practice in the REVS Institute archives?
Roger Lund

#348 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,193 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 19:19

Maybe getting off topic here ? Macca & Tim, regarding Miles and the "T" car, are you suggesting that there was a third Mk.11 at Le Mans 1966 for the April tests ?

My post was about the race weekend itself. The WSRP link I posted lists chassis P1012 as having been run only in practice as #6T. I wondered if this might have been the car referred to by Macca as driven by many of the Ford drivers during practice.

#349 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,481 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 19:29

Are there any indicative shots from the April practice in the REVS Institute archives?
Roger Lund

Totally off-topic... Roger, your signature rules!

Carry on, Soldiers...

#350 D28

D28

• 1,532 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 20:01

The WSRP site lists Ford GT40 Mk II, chassis P1012, entered by Shelby American for Bucknum and Gardner, which ran only in practice as #6T.

http://www.wsrp.cz/wsc1966.html#7

Perhaps this might be the general T-car many of the drivers had a go in?

Shelby memoirs mentions 8 cars plus a spare, the Alan Mann car run at Spa.. That car was 1012 for  Whitmore /Gardner this link has a photo of #4  Ford Mk 2 This could be the one.

https://www.racingsp...1966-05-22.html

Edited by D28, 17 December 2019 - 20:01.