Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

How long before Max Verstappen take his maiden pole

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

Poll: When will Max Verstappen take his maiden pole? (145 member(s) have cast votes)

When will Max Verstappen take his maiden pole?

1. Til the end of this season (73 votes [50.34%])

Percentage of vote: 50.34%

2. Next year (29 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. From 2021 when new rules shake the grid (17 votes [11.72%])

Percentage of vote: 11.72%

4. Probably never (26 votes [17.93%])

Percentage of vote: 17.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 18:30

What he waiting for? Five years in F1 and STILL has NO POLE.

Advertisement

#2 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 18:32

I´m guessing somewhere this year. There´s no Ricciardo to take it away in the last minute this time. So if RB delivers, odds are very high that he´ll take it.

#3 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 18:36

It's one of F1's modern mysteries as to how Verstappen has not been on pole position at some point, given his talent.

#4 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 18:36

Btw option "Probably never" is for haters only :lol:

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 18:40

He probably has a shot in Budapest, Singapore, Sao Paulo and is favourite in Mexico. I guess he will use one of those chances.

#6 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 18:42

Before Hulk gets a podium. 

#7 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 18:45

It would be funny if Gazman, not Verstappen, take pole when Red Bull actually has a shot for it ha ha

#8 JG

JG

• 568 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 19:45

Mexico is my guess

#9 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,173 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 19:48

I’m assuming the weekend he’ll be on pole, Charles Leclerc will get his first win, Hulk his first podium, and Stirling Moss that first WDC.

#10 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,047 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 19:50

Mexico at the latest

#11 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,047 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 19:51

Probably next race now you've started this thread

#12 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 19:53

They’ll probably surprise somewhere. Maybe Spa. They definitely have the pace, though.

#13 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 20:13

It's one of F1's modern mysteries as to how Verstappen has not been on pole position at some point, given his talent.

nah, Hybrid era Mercedes, solved.

If you’re not in one of those silver things you’ve got like three chances a year and the cards haven’t fallen his way so far.

#14 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 20:19

I have the impression Verstappen does not often improve in his second Q3 lap.

Are there any statistics available to compare how often drivers in their second Q3 runs? I expect that Hamilton has a much higher ratio in this respect.

#15 RogerStone

RogerStone

• 864 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 20:21

Hungary

#16 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 20:27

nah, Hybrid era Mercedes, solved.

If you’re not in one of those silver things you’ve got like three chances a year and the cards haven’t fallen his way so far.

I think when he joined Red Bull in 2016 and if you said he would not have a pole position more than 3 years later (despite having 7 wins) then people would have laughed, thinking that he would have taken a pole position, especially with 7 wins.

#17 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 20:45

I have the impression Verstappen does not often improve in his second Q3 lap.

Are there any statistics available to compare how often drivers in their second Q3 runs? I expect that Hamilton has a much higher ratio in this respect.

This season so far not.

Of all the times they had two runs in Q3

- Leclerc improved in 88 % of them in the 2nd run
- Verstappen 70 %
- Vettel 67 %
- Hamilton 64 %
- Bottas 50 %

Not sure if that's really relevant though, being able to set a good banker lap is also important.

#18 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 20:52

The car is already capable, Red Bull just need a decent second driver to get pole with it.

#19 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:06

Ricciardo had 3 poles in the same car(if Max had qualified within 2 tenths of DR Monaco 16 I'd consider it his pole because of engine upgrade)
Wonder how many Ham/Vet would have achieved in 3 years?
This is why you can't consider him the pure fastest driver

Advertisement

#20 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:09

I think when he joined Red Bull in 2016 and if you said he would not have a pole position more than 3 years later (despite having 7 wins) then people would have laughed, thinking that he would have taken a pole position, especially with 7 wins.

Did you just spoil this weekend´s result?

#21 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,979 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:10

It's utterly incredible that he's achieved second-on-grid with an engine lacking the qualifying power of both Mercedes and Ferrari. Honda probably can't be expected to make a big enough step up until the off season, so I'd predict next year.

#22 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:11

It's utterly incredible that he's achieved second-on-grid with an engine lacking the qualifying power of both Mercedes and Ferrari. Honda probably can't be expected to make a big enough step up until the off season, so I'd predict next year.

Even though mega Gasly did a time half a tenth slower, that was slower in the part he went off limits than his lap before?

#23 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:24

Ricciardo had 3 poles in the same car(if Max had qualified within 2 tenths of DR Monaco 16 I'd consider it his pole because of engine upgrade)

If you compare him with Ricciardo, you’d also know that Ricciardo has been soundly beaten in the qualifying duels in 2017 and 2018. Often with 0,5 gsps as well.

The three times Ricciardo got pole, Verstappen did not participate in Q3 twice and lost out in Q3 once with a few hundreds.

‘Mega Gasly’ has the largest Q gap of all drivers to Verstappen. Larger than Kubica to Russell even.

This Ricciardo 3 poles Verstappen zero stat is only mentioned to downgrade Verstappen. It’s pretty silly.

#24 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:26

Both Horner and Marko said before the season started that qualifying is the area he still needs to improve. It's a bit of a shame he doesn't have a proper teammate as a benchmark this season.

Even though Marko said he made a mistake today that cost him 2 tenths, you wouldn't know that from looking at the results. Just about every other driver finds himself behind his teammate with such a mistake more often than not. 

Instead the "faultless Verstappen" narrative continues. 

Edited by beachdrifter, 27 July 2019 - 21:28.

#25 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:28

Both Horner and Marko said before the season started that qualifying is the area he still needs to improve. It's a bit of a shame he doesn't have a proper teammate as a benchmark this season.

Even though Marko said he made a mistake today that cost him 2 tenths, you wouldn't know that from looking at the results. Just about every other driver finds himself behind his teammate with such a mistake more often than not.

I did not see those quotes from Horner and Marko.

Where did you read that?

#26 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:29

I did not see those quotes from Horner and Marko.

Where did you read that?

Pre-season coverage. Praising his race pace, but pointing out qualifying as the area he still needs to improve. 

#27 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:31

Pre-season coverage. Praising his race pace, but pointing out qualifying as the area he still needs to improve.

Can you link to that source?

#28 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:31

Both Horner and Marko said before the season started that qualifying is the area he still needs to improveIt's a bit of a shame he doesn't have a proper teammate as a benchmark this season.

Some quotes please. And Ricciardo wasn’t a proper teammate for 3 seasons?

#29 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:35

They said that about Verstappen? I know they said they expected to be close in qualifying, but he´d need to improve in the race.

I actually dont think Verstappen is a very good qualifier. He is very fast and that helps him in qualifying, but I do feel sometimes he can get more out of the car. I think his biggest strength is actually his race pace.

Therefore, one could argue relatively speaking he can still improve his qualifying. I would argue that is already a better qualifier than average though... :)

#30 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:36

Can you link to that source?

I read hundreds of articles in pre-season in a number of different languages, I wouldn't even know what to search for.

The reason it stood out to me at the time was that it was different articles, one with Marko saying it, and another with Horner saying it, suggesting to me they have identified that as an area to focus on for this season. 

They didn't say he was a mediocre qualifier or anything, just that his strength is race pace and that one lap pace is still something he needs to work on.

#31 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:37

He beat one of the supposedly best qualifiers pretty clear last season, so he can’t be that bad.

#32 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:39

I read hundreds of articles in pre-season in a number of different languages, I wouldn't even know what to search for.

The reason it stood out to me at the time was that it was different articles, one with Marko saying it, and another with Horner saying it, suggesting to me they have identified that as an area to focus on for this season.

They didn't say he was a mediocre qualifier or anything, just that his strength is race pace and that one lap pace is still something he needs to work on.

You are confusing things. They were talking about Gasly and expected him to be close at qualifying, but to be a quite off on Sundays. They never said Max needed to work or focus on his qualification.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 27 July 2019 - 21:40.

#33 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:40

I actually agree with that last sentence. Because his innate (is that how you spell it?) speed is high, he´s doing good in qualifying. but he has the potential to do better. 

#34 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,799 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:44

He’ll win the title before he gets a pole

#35 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,568 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 21:45

When he will join Mercedes.

#36 JBJ

JBJ

• 1,111 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:02

Instead the "faultless Verstappen" narrative continues.

So, not only do you have the drivers mixed up, you alsl have no quote... Again

#37 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:06

Thought so... just inventing some stuff again.

If either Horner and/or Marko would have said explicitly that Verstappen needs to work on his qualifying, it would have long been discussed on this forum before since it is quite a remarkable thing to say.

Afaik, Marko only said pre season that he expected Gasly to challenge Verstappen in qualifying from the start.

#38 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:07

Bit of a strange moment to start a thread like this, Max hasn’t had a decent shot at pole this season. He probably had a handfull of chances for pole at his years at Red Bull against one of the best qualifiers on the grid and we all know what happened at Monaco twice. He’ll have plenty if poles if he gets a seat at a real dominant car, no worries at all.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 27 July 2019 - 22:08.

#39 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:13

I actually agree with that last sentence. Because his innate (is that how you spell it?) speed is high, he´s doing good in qualifying. but he has the potential to do better. 

Yes. 

Advertisement

#40 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:14

Afaik, Marko only said pre season that he expected Gasly to challenge Verstappen in qualifying from the start.

He said that also.

#41 Garndell

Garndell

• 1,287 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:16

Based purely on the Sky Muppetry (Commentary) he will get pole when he changes his number from 33.

Edited by Garndell, 27 July 2019 - 22:16.

#42 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,721 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:17

Definitely this year. The time has been in the car the last two GP-weekends, and there are atleast three tracks that represents good, realistic opportunities coming up.

#43 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:21

He said that also.

No, he just said that. Don’t make things up, or provide us with a link. If Marko and Horner really said this, it should be very easy to find.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 27 July 2019 - 22:22.

#44 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:22

He said that also.

If you cant show it, it has not been said.

#45 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:23

No, he just said that. 

He said a lot more than that. And Horner did, too.

#46 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:26

He said a lot more than that. And Horner did, too.

Still waiting for that link, can’t be that difficult to find. I already tried Google. No succes.

#47 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:29

Still waiting for that link, can’t be that difficult to find.

Of course it's difficult. Try finding German or French articles on something as specific as that, without knowing the exact wording. It's close to impossible, otherwise I'd have already done it. 

#48 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:33

Of course it's difficult. Try finding German or French articles on something as specific as that, without knowing the exact wording. It's close to impossible, otherwise I'd have already done it.

I actually read in some pre season coverage that Toto Wolff said that Verstappen already is faster than his own drivers in qualifying.

Unfortunately it was a Dutch article, one of the many I read, so it’s a bit difficult to find... ;)

#49 RogerStone

RogerStone

• 864 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:34

He’ll win the title before he gets a pole

:lol:  Pretty much an impossible task...

Edited by RogerStone, 27 July 2019 - 22:34.

#50 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 22:45

Next year, and I have a sneaking suspicion that next year the RB is going to be right up there and a major thorn in the side of Merc taking wins of them.