Photo

Silverstone Classic 2019

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 geordiecraig101

geordiecraig101

• 109 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 15:44

Was quite surprised to find there was no thread for this years event, so here goes one.

As always there was plenty great racing over the 21 races on Saturday and Sunday with Friday being Qualifying day. Apart from Saturday morning being affected by a few heavy rain showers, the rest of the meeting stayed dry and warm, thankfully not as hot as Thursdays record breaking temperatures. Any way here's my vids from trackside of the action if anyone interested.

Day 1, Friday 26th July

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Edited by geordiecraig101, 29 July 2019 - 15:46.

Advertisement

#2 geordiecraig101

geordiecraig101

• 109 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 15:45

Day 2, Saturday 27th July:

https://youtu.be/NxU_Y6wBy2w

Edited by geordiecraig101, 29 July 2019 - 16:11.

#3 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 895 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 15:54

Went Saturday: some great racing, especially Martin O'Connell in the Thundersports, doing things in a Chevron B8 which shouldn't be possible, even in a B8. Also (Simon Hadfield?) sideways in the Aston DB3S (Stirling Moss Trophy) was a hoot.

All in all, much better value than some meetings I've been to recently.

#4 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 18:21

I haven't been for a good few years. I thought £69 for one day was a bit over priced given the drivers pay over large entry fees to race as well.   It's so big now you need a day to do the static displays and another to watch the racing. Perhaps bigger is not always better.   

I though they could have got full grids  for all the races, some a bit thin and on the full GP track soon got spread out. There is a huge difference in driver ability with some owners driving quick cars quite slowly. On the other hand the two driver races were livened up when the quick drivers got in for the second stint.   

We tried various viewing points. When I compete, we watch from the BRDC stand but that was out of bounds even thought it was empty.  The stand at Abbey allowed you to see the cars twice a lap albeit a little far away. I did struggle to see the car numbers particularly on the pre way cars. 

It was a good day and reputedly 109k folk there over the weekend, although perhaps people who went all three days may be counted three times? it did not seem that busy.  I don't think I'll be a regular as I was for the original Coys Festival.

Edited by Derwent Motorsport, 29 July 2019 - 18:21.

#5 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 17:56

Videos of the races have been uploaded to the Silverstone Classic Youtube page - https://www.youtube....lassicTV/videos

#6 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 23:08

What a terrible thing to do to those cars. Racing in that rain.

#7 john aston

john aston

• 2,698 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:23

Great event , awful circuit . Highlight was the sublime Ferrari 1512 , which I have never seen before, and whose song was as glorious as I'd hope it  would be. Big - huge - F2 grid , some excellent races and the inspired access all areas  is a joy. I was also introduced to Sir JYS , along with I suspect about a thousand others .

I now only watch racing at Village and Club , and also the really fast stuff down the Wellington Straight . But Brands or Goodwood it isn't when it comes to seeing on track action  

#8 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,464 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 15:27

What a terrible thing to do to those cars. Racing in that rain.

Unless one's lucky enough to drive the thing, of course. :-)

#9 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 16:07

:wave:

#10 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 895 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 16:38

Great event , awful circuit . .... But Brands or Goodwood it isn't when it comes to seeing on track action  

I thought so too (it's Silverstone after all) but quickly realised that the size of the event precludes either of the latter from being able to host it. Even if you got rid of the club stuff you still have two paddocks and two pit garage complexes CHOCK FULL of awesomeness. So I shall definitely go again and try to ignore the fact that I'm at the Trowbridge of circuits.

Edited by sabrejet, 05 August 2019 - 13:55.

#11 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:08

The drivers choose to be dumb,,, rare and expensive equipment being flogged around in that pouring rain. A terrible thing to do to them.

Light rain maybe though still far more likely to come unstuck and cleaning the cars afterwards is a real chore. Plus repainting all the vulnerable areas of paint. Wet racing tears off more more paint than the dry.

700+hp in pouring rain,,, what could go wrong!!

#12 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,464 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 14:38

May they all be dumb as rocks then, race cars are meant to be raced -- and even dirtied up.

I prefer owners who let us see the cars. Some do that only statically, which is their right, but a proper thrashing is 100x better and shows respect for those who come to see them thrashed.

If nobody brought them out, would anyone come back?

#13 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:02

The drivers choose to be dumb,,, rare and expensive equipment being flogged around in that pouring rain. A terrible thing to do to them.

Light rain maybe though still far more likely to come unstuck and cleaning the cars afterwards is a real chore. Plus repainting all the vulnerable areas of paint. Wet racing tears off more more paint than the dry.

700+hp in pouring rain,,, what could go wrong!!

I am sure it is a lot of work to tidy the car up again after such an event. But I doubt that either the driver or owner are getting their hands dirty doing it. It will be done by the chosen company that keeps the car in shape and most often delivers it to the track for the fortunate few to enjoy.

I know I would join them if I had  enough cash to amuse myself in that way.....   Wouldn´t you?

#14 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 17:52

In the blink of an eye I would!

#15 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:30

Despite the sometimes-poor weather, and my feeling distinctly under par for much of the weekend, it was marvellous event. As well as the opportunity to roam paddocks and pit garages, ogling machiney and talking to the folks operating it, there was some really good racing.
F2s... more than fifty entries and close scrapping at the front; and loads of 2-litre Chevron and Lola sportscars too. (I love the sound of FVA and Cs, BDAs, M12s... and the sight of B19s, B26s, T210s, T290s et al...).

And if, as ever, there was too much to be able to see everything in the time available, most of the races are online, as linked above, so we can catch up the bits we missed, or relive some of the bits we didn’t.

I even managed to back-pedal on my previous lack of enthusiam for the current circuit and environment (just a little). As others have pointed out, whatever misgivings one might heve about Silverstone as a location, a place to be, this event could not - logistically - happen anywherere else.

And with the car club discounts on admission (typically two-for-one), a weekend ticket seemed to be very good value (I think the saving was greater than my annual club subscription).

Edited by 2F-001, 05 August 2019 - 11:32.

#16 Steve99

Steve99

• 749 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:24

I was at Cadwell, cheaper, great fun, wonderful place!

#17 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:45

Cadwell is my favourite UK cicuit (both to spectate and to drive), but that doesn’t make the Silverstone Classic ‘A Bad Thing’. Or mean that we can’t enjoy both...

#18 Steve99

Steve99

• 749 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:00

Cadwell is my favourite UK cicuit (both to spectate and to drive), but that doesn’t make the Silverstone Classic ‘A Bad Thing’. Or mean that we can’t enjoy both...

Absolutely sir! I toyed with the idea of going to Silverstone, but decided to chalk up another meeting on my Cadwell season ticket...

#19 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:36

. ... my Cadwell season ticket...

Ah, that’s a factor I had not allowed for...!

Advertisement

#20 john aston

john aston

• 2,698 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:06

It takes an event the size of the Classic to tempt me to Silverstone's windswept plateau . Like Tony , I think Cadwell is the loveliest circuit of them all , placed well above the opposition - which is Brands Hatch, Anglesey, Goodwood , Oulton, Thruxton , Mallory  , Croft, etc in that order , with Snetterton a firm last . No Combe ? Only because I have yet to visit..