- - - - -

FIA Official Race Classification - A question for Lawyers and wannabes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,872 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 14:22

I have a question regarding what is considered an official FIA race classification. 

To give you some context, in the german grand prix at the race end when the cars pass the finish line there is an order of finishers. 

The FIA then issues a provisional race classification which is subject to change. In this instance lets say Hamilton finishes 11th. 
Then later the FIA after penalising the Alfa Romeo issues a Final Classification which places Hamilton 9th after both Alfa Romeos are penalized with a 30 second time penalty.  

The FIA sporting regulations state the following regarding race classification. 
"45.3 The official classification will be published after the race. It will be the only valid result subject to any amendments which may be made under the Code and these Sporting Regulations."

Therefore I have one question.

1) Is the provisional race classification issued before the podium celebration considered an Official FIA Race Classification? 

Moderator: can we add a poll to this thread.  e.g. 

Is the provisional race classification issued before the podium celebration considered an Official FIA Race Classification? Yes / No

Edited by EvilPhil II, 01 August 2019 - 14:28.

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 15:25

I am not sure which bit of the word 'provisional' is giving you trouble?

#3 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 15:32

I don’t know, but Spa 2008 showed nothing is final.. result can still be altered even after celebrating on the podium. Same goes for Mexico 2016?

#4 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,872 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 15:37

I am not sure which bit of the word 'provisional' is giving you trouble?

How would you define provisional in your opinion? 

#5 l12mcg

l12mcg

• 462 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 15:40

Potentially subject to further change but currently in existence.

#6 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 15:41

Subject to change. Until confirmed. At this moment in time

Changes can be made hours, days, weeks, months, years after the result.

Edited by Izzyeviel, 01 August 2019 - 15:41.

#7 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,349 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 15:44

Not years. If i remember well, once the WDC trophy is given, the classifications are unchangeable

#8 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 15:49

Not years. If i remember well, once the WDC trophy is given, the classifications are unchangeable

Well i don't for sure about F1, but in other sports certainly the results can be changed years later. Chris Froome won the 2011 Vuelta last month. I suspect if a team did cheat their way to F1 success it'd be changed. 

If it was discovered in 2009 that Mclaren had won in 2008 by using stolen parts, what would've happened?

#9 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,872 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 17:08

But are we now talking about permanent results or official results? 

#10 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 17:15

Teams have cheated in the past....it is well known that Brabham used illegal fuel to send Piquet to at least one of his titles. But the title stands....it's not quite like a competitor being found to have used illegal drugs years later having their win/title removed. But....until a driver receives the WDC trophy, it isn't official.

However the FIA has the sole right to issue official results. Anything we see as graphics on the TV screen is provisional or unofficial until the FIA issues the official results via it's usual channels....which I expect are website and press release...usually on the evening of the race. And even then sometimes there are appeals to penalties to look into.

#11 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 17:26

The official race classification is signed off by the stewards at the end of the day, normally some hours after the race, after scrutineering is complete, all investigations are over and any penalties applied. The result shown before then is the provisional classification.

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,888 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 17:30

Well i don't for sure about F1, but in other sports certainly the results can be changed years later. Chris Froome won the 2011 Vuelta last month. I suspect if a team did cheat their way to F1 success it'd be changed.

If it was discovered in 2009 that Mclaren had won in 2008 by using stolen parts, what would've happened?

Singapore 2008 shows you how the FIA handle this kind of things ;-)

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 17:36

Your correct. Once the Trophy is awarded the results are written in stone.