Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

2019 Hungarian GP Race Thread

• Please log in to reply
1938 replies to this topic

Poll: 2019 Hungarian GP (145 member(s) have cast votes)

Race winner?

1. Verstappen (66 votes [45.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.52%

2. Bottas (11 votes [7.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.59%

3. Hamilton (60 votes [41.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

4. Leclerc (3 votes [2.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.07%

5. Vettel (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Gasly (1 votes [0.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.69%

7. A miracle (4 votes [2.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.76%

Point Scorers?

1. McLaren (130 votes [34.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.95%

2. Haas (38 votes [10.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.22%

3. Alfa (87 votes [23.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.39%

4. Renault (37 votes [9.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.95%

5. Toro Rosso (60 votes [16.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

6. Williams (11 votes [2.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

7. Racing Point (9 votes [2.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.42%

Championship Fight on?

1. Yay (25 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

2. Nay (87 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Maybe? (33 votes [22.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 00:00

FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2019 - Round 12 of 21

For the last time before the summer break it's race day! Verstappen is set to win for the first time back-to-back after he secured his first pole position, but can Mercedes kill off his momentum and prevent any spark of a championship hope for the young Dutchman? What can Ferrari do on one of their worst tracks? Will McLaren prove their status as the best of the rest? And can Russell repeat his sensational form from qualifying? And can the Hungarian Grand Prix once again prove that it's better than its reputation?

WRI2_00005078-067-e1501534914810-725x500

How we got here: The story of that guy's first pole position...

Note that Ricciardo will be taking engine penalties

VvCz7uA.png

Strategy: Duh....

Due to the fact that it's pretty hard to overtake here, the tyres last forever and that it's not very hot as in other years (remember when Budapest used to be a tyre murderer track?) a 2 stopper is more or less ruled out (or as Pirelli said: "definitely slower"). The front runners will most likely run Medium-Hard. Ferrari has a spare soft set and based on last year medium-soft is definitely doable, so they could have a bit moe flexibility here. This time the weather will stay out of this. Conditions are not too different to qualifying.
EBE6Y2yW4AE3tT-.jpg
Anything else?

The race has been often decided at the start here: The run to turn 1 is relatively long. Though the only times the race hasnt been won from the first two rows were from outside the top 10 (twice). And the pole conversion rate is with 45 % in good average.

Big question here whether Red Bull fixed their recent start issues. Would the win ignite their championship hopes? Maybe, although 13 of the last 14 Hungarian GP winners failed to win the title at the end of the season.

EBECOqvXUAITS3V.jpg

So...who will dance in around 13 hours time?

5u4azbunj7e31.gif

Edited by Marklar, 04 August 2019 - 08:38.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 00:14

The perennially, archetypal underrated circuit. Here's hoping for a good race.

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 00:27

TIL editing something on phone kills the poll.

I think it could be a good race if Bottas is not 2nd after the start, cause whoever is ahead of him will probably pull away then. It would be funny if he leads, could keep it between Hamilton and Max very tricky behind him then (assuming they would be the ones behind him)

Ferrari has nothing to lose. I guess the lower placed car could try to extent its stint on medium to then pit on softs. Again, not like that would lose them anything and if you want to overtake two steps softer and fresher tyres are the way to go.

Expect a Verstappen win ahead of the two Mercedes, though.

Edited by Marklar, 04 August 2019 - 00:28.

#4 allaboard70

allaboard70

• 356 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 00:39

I'm sure Hamilton will fix it !! 

He has nothing to loos after the last weekend... 

#5 Fallout

Fallout

• 476 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:20

I have a feeling Bottas will take this. Hamilton and Vettel to hit each other at turn 1, Verstappen with some reliability issue, probably the engine for good measure.

#6 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:45

Voted Bottas to win the race. He is aggressive at the starts and is not scared of Max and so far this year has had the better of Max in exchanges. 

Obviously Bottas leading at the start still depends on Merc screwing things up with stratgey and letting RB get the undercut  :rolleyes:

#7 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:52

I voted Max.

I want Lewis to win.

Max seems to be getting stronger with every race, I think he might do it here, especially if he gets a good start.

#8 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:24

I can't see anyone but Verstappen winning, even if Hamilton gets a better start, Verstappen will be super aggressive and take the lead back. For the sake of the championship I hope Hamilton ends out of the podium.

1-Verstappen

2-Bottas

3-Vettel

4-Hamilton

5-Leclerc

#9 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:43

I can't see anyone but Verstappen winning, even if Hamilton gets a better start, Verstappen will be super aggressive and take the lead back. For the sake of the championship I hope Hamilton ends out of the podium.

1-Verstappen
2-Bottas
3-Vettel
4-Hamilton
5-Leclerc

Might well happen, atleast if the top three keeps their positions at the start. Verstappen will not run away, so Hamilton will be under threat from a Ferrari-undercut, ‘cause surely Vettel and Leclerc will keep up.

#10 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:48

1-Verstappen

2-Bottas

3-Vettel

4-Hamilton

5-Leclerc

So you are discounting Bottas at the start?  :p  

#11 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,620 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:14

So, the race is 70 laps long and the soft is better than the hard for about 30 laps. Either the information is WRONG, or everyone will go for M-S.

#12 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:19

Lewis will win this one.  There, I said it!  Anyone else willing to stand with me?!

#13 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:26

Hope so, but I dont think he will.

#14 peroa

peroa

• 10,781 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:29

Lewis will win this one. There, I said it! Anyone else willing to stand with me?!

It depends on how his setup works in the race, if it’s like in Silverstone then I’d say yes.

#15 WindmillRacer

WindmillRacer

• 179 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:31

If Verstappen gets off the line well I think they will not see him again untill the chequered flag. This guy is relentless in free air.

#16 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:32

Why run away? Keep the pace down to try and instigate more cars passing Hamilton.

#17 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:33

Hope so, but I dont think he will.

It depends on how his setup works in the race, if it’s like in Silverstone then I’d say yes.

No ifs or buts, no hope or setup science, either he will or he won't otherwise https://www.youtube....DNELRSk&t=0m45s  :lol:

#18 peroa

peroa

• 10,781 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:37

You’ll never stand alone!

#19 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:46

You’ll never stand alone!

Good to hear peroa!  Now let's rally the troops. :lol:

Advertisement

#20 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:48

If Max keeps the lead it should be a done deal.

Thing is I'd be very surprised if a Mercedes doesn't steal the lead at the start.

Key for Max is to at least stay in P2, I think he should still be able to win from there.

Edited by Lights, 04 August 2019 - 06:48.

#21 Paincake

Paincake

• 1,068 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:49

Lol at Nico Rosberg going in full force with the clickbaits on his youtube channel, suggesting that Max will go to Mercedes 2020. What happend? Previously it was Nico constantly praising Lewis in his videos.... now with his latest videos hes making clickbait and playing mind games. ''Anybody could have won 5 titles in a Mercedes''... lol the irony Rosberg, coming from not a champion but a quiter, that is pure cowardice the way he is making clickbait titles now all of a sudden. I wonder why?  :confused:

#22 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,787 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:49

Any chance of rain...joking😂depends on bottas race pace ultimately because if he holds up Lewis it’s game over

#23 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:51

Lewis will win this one.  There, I said it!  Anyone else willing to stand with me?!

Lewis too here ! #Hammertime !

Edited by Ev0d3vil, 04 August 2019 - 06:52.

#24 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:05

Lol at Nico Rosberg going in full force with the clickbaits on his youtube channel, suggesting that Max will go to Mercedes 2020. What happend? Previously it was Nico constantly praising Lewis in his videos.... now with his latest videos hes making clickbait and playing mind games. ''Anybody could have won 5 titles in a Mercedes''... lol the irony Rosberg, coming from not a champion but a quiter, that is pure cowardice the way he is making clickbait titles now all of a sudden. I wonder why?  :confused:

I really don't understand him. He acts like a nobody vlogger who's single goal is to get as many subscribers and views as possible. Except he's a F1 world champion.

Look at this patheticness. He's ticking all the boxes from YouTube 101:

QvWccir.png

#25 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:07

So you are discounting Bottas at the start?  :p  

Who?.

#26 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,675 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:12

Good to hear peroa! Now let's rally the troops. :lol:

Reporting for duty, sir!

#27 aray

aray

• 5,820 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:30

I really don't understand him. He acts like a nobody vlogger who's single goal is to get as many subscribers and views as possible. Except he's a F1 world champion.

QvWccir.png

That's sad coming from Nico. And he really was a fantastic driver....

#28 Paincake

Paincake

• 1,068 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:35

That's sad coming from Nico. And he really was a fantastic driver....

He was very good, I was always a bit of a fan of him before he became teammates with Lewis and started his mindgames with him. I just think its a bit low from him to make clickbait titles on his youtube channel and then touch upon subjects as if hes the only ''journalist'' that has ''inside information''.  :drunk:

#29 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:36

The perennially, archetypal underrated circuit. Here's hoping for a good race.

Not just that, but looks a great event to be at as well as Budapest being one of the best cities in the world. I love the place, can't wait to go to a GP there one day.

#30 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:39

QvWccir.png

It's not that bad.

#31 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:43

QvWccir.png

I don't quite understand it either. Sure lots of people use social media/youtube etc but he's almost bordering on fanboyism with his 'over the top' headlines and exaggerating everything.

I've always found Rosberg a strange character. Great driver yes... but odd. Lewis' book is going to be a treat...

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 04 August 2019 - 07:51.

#32 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:50

Too hard for me to guess at a winner. It's frightfully close, what!

However - and I do not follow or support any driver - I hope Valtteri takes this, I really do.

Circumstances and, now and then his own failings, have been cruel to him this year. He has genuine pace. His loyal Finns are here in force. I wish him the best; he CAN do this.

#33 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:53

I don't quite understand it either. Sure lots of people use social media/youtube etc but he's almost bordering on fanboyism with his 'over the top' headlines and exaggerating everything.

I've always found Rosberg a strange character. Great driver yes... but odd. Lewis' book is going to be a treat...

It's just copywriting. Gotta step it up to compete on YouTube these days man.

He's putting a lot of effort into his personal brand. I like that. If he keeps going he will be hugely successful with it.

#34 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:55

It's just copywriting. Gotta step it up to compete on YouTube these days man.

He's putting a lot of effort into his personal brand. I like that. If he keeps going he will be hugely successful with it.

That's fair enough. Each to their own, perhaps it's because I expected different from him post retirement. Not totally my thing but good luck to him.

#35 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,820 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:02

I fear Max will drop a place or 2 at the start, and it´ll be a difficult race then.

I dont really understand why the top teams now by default seem to pick the medium tyre over the soft every race when they can. I think in this race a soft/medium could´ve been the better option. Especially Max is vulnerable as he´s fighting 2 cars. A more agressive strategy (S+M) was definitely an option.

#36 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

• 13 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:06

I said before qualifying that this would be a Mercedes 1-2, but Verstappen now on pole, I think Mercedes 1-3 is more likely. I guess that something like the following will happen: 1) Bottas tries to undercut Verstappen who is leading the race, which forces Verstappen to pit next lap, 2) the undercut probably does not work, however Hamilton leads the race and is able to put in some superb lap times and extend his stint effectively earning him the overcut, 3) Hamilton pits and keeps the lead, Bottas cannot overtake Verstappen. So, I think 1. HAM, 2. VER and 3. BOT is the most likely outcome for the race.

#37 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:09

QvWccir.png

Well, only this 9 you post have a 2,5 million views. 

Have seen numbers from youtuber what he earns from what amount of views.

one million views video was highest one Day $ 10.000,- in one day, couple day's couple thousand A Day, and for weeks/month, between $ 10,- and $ 15,- A DAY.

Only what you show here is around $ 35,- and $ 50,- A DAY. times 30 days is $ 1.050,- / 1.500 A month easy "free" money for years to come. If this is 10% of his uploads, well, you can calculate his likely youtube income. His personal sponsors and PR stuff he places in the video's will likely double that amount.

And, he seems to enjoying it a lot, so, why not, being former WDC doesn't mean he can't do what he likes to do.

#38 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:20

At least one Mercedes needs to gain position off the line and we’ll have a good race. Doesn’t matter which one.

Suspect Max will have too much in race trim, however Lewis seemed pretty chirpy post-quali. The Mercedes has never been good in dirty air so I’m not entirely sure where Hamilton would get it done. Especially considering Red Bull are usually brilliant with strategy.

Hamilton and Toto have said some strange things overnight about strategy, but every indication says 1-stop. I mean, we had temps far warmer than this last year and it was a 1-stop.

The only spoiler is Ferrari. They deliberately saved a set of Softs yesterday, so will probably go M-S, as Vettel did last year. If Red Bull and Merc focus too much on each other, then maybe Ferrari will surprise. If they can keep both cars within a pit stop and hold up the leaders, anything is possible.

McLaren looking good for solid points. Russell an outside shot as well.

EBHFYFg-X4-AI4t-B2-format-jpg-name-large

Mick Schumacher on F2 Reverse Grid pole in 1hr!

Edited by TomNokoe, 04 August 2019 - 08:24.

#39 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:24

it will be a 1 stop race unless there is rain or something.

Verstappen has to be the favourite to win but the start could be interesting, Ferrari are very strong in the first sector and Lewis has been one of the best off the line this year as well.

Bottas might try something as well as he's racing for his seat, honestly I wouldn't be that surprised if Bottas and Verstappen collide into turn 1...

anyone of the top 5 can win this race imo, that's how close the teams are on pace.

starting on the mediums though should play into Lewis and Max's hands as they've both been quickest on that tyre all weekend so far, Ferrari looked off the pace in Q2 on mediums as well.

Advertisement

#40 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:26

With the starts Red Bull has been having my money is on Max getting mugged at the start and then Vetteled to the back of the grid we're he'll manage a recover to third behind Leclerc and Hamilton.

#41 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:26

I fear Max will drop a place or 2 at the start, and it´ll be a difficult race then.

I dont really understand why the top teams now by default seem to pick the medium tyre over the soft every race when they can. I think in this race a soft/medium could´ve been the better option. Especially Max is vulnerable as he´s fighting 2 cars. A more agressive strategy (S+M) was definitely an option.

I guess it's because you have more options when you start on mediums: you can go longer if needed and pit on softs then. If you need to be aggressive you pit earlier and then go on hards. If you start on softs you become more predictable.

One reason might be also that the harder tyres work better when the car is heavier usually.

Though I fully agree with you. Hamilton did 20 laps on friday with virtually no deg on softs. I was certain that Ferrari would try it with one car since they kinda have to try something else, but guess they could do it in the 2nd stint.

#42 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,124 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:37

I said before qualifying that this would be a Mercedes 1-2, but Verstappen now on pole, I think Mercedes 1-3 is more likely. I guess that something like the following will happen: 1) Bottas tries to undercut Verstappen who is leading the race, which forces Verstappen to pit next lap, 2) the undercut probably does not work, however Hamilton leads the race and is able to put in some superb lap times and extend his stint effectively earning him the overcut, 3) Hamilton pits and keeps the lead, Bottas cannot overtake Verstappen. So, I think 1. HAM, 2. VER and 3. BOT is the most likely outcome for the race.

Unfortunately strategy is only likely to come into play if a Merc gets in front at the start. Otherwise Max will be off in the distance.

#43 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:38

Well, only this 9 you post have a 2,5 million views. 

Have seen numbers from youtuber what he earns from what amount of views.

one million views video was highest one Day $ 10.000,- in one day, couple day's couple thousand A Day, and for weeks/month, between $ 10,- and $ 15,- A DAY.

Only what you show here is around $ 35,- and $ 50,- A DAY. times 30 days is $ 1.050,- / 1.500 A month easy "free" money for years to come. If this is 10% of his uploads, well, you can calculate his likely youtube income. His personal sponsors and PR stuff he places in the video's will likely double that amount.

And, he seems to enjoying it a lot, so, why not, being former WDC doesn't mean he can't do what he likes to do.

I get all that, but I can't imagine he's doing this for the money. He probably earned way over 50 million in F1 and probably many additional millions through other deals. Also he's already a huge brand so you could argue he'd get similar views by just delivering quality content being Nico Rosberg, instead of having to write "CRASHING HARD!!" on the thumbnail, or title your video "MAX VERSTAPPEN GOING TO MERCEDES 2020?!" even though he knows damn well that's not going to happen.

But then again I might underestimate how well this clickbait stuff works for people. No offense to anyone but for me personally it removes my interest to click on a video.

Edited by Lights, 04 August 2019 - 08:44.

#44 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,820 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:55

I guess it's because you have more options when you start on mediums: you can go longer if needed and pit on softs then. If you need to be aggressive you pit earlier and then go on hards. If you start on softs you become more predictable.

One reason might be also that the harder tyres work better when the car is heavier usually.

Though I fully agree with you. Hamilton did 20 laps on friday with virtually no deg on softs. I was certain that Ferrari would try it with one car since they kinda have to try something else, but guess they could do it in the 2nd stint.

I understand that it´s a good idea as it does give options, but it seems like the top 3 teams are always going for it seemingly without thinking (I of course state this from my position as an unknowing keyboard warrior...).

Why not gamble Gasly on the softs for example? maybe then he can actually stay close for a while... (probably not,but still). He doesnt really gain anything from starting on the medium..

Or is he actually starting on the softs...? Thought his Medium lap was faster :).

Same for Ferrari, as you mentioned.

#45 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:56

I understand your view @lights, can't say mine is otherwise. But the amount of views on what title just show how it works for the masses.

He has enough money, but this channel will keep him getting sponsors and deals and the channel likely brings in more then a million a year, so, why not right? I doubt he would get that with quality content. His post Q from yesterday is almost as often seen as yesterday's official paddock pass (on YouTube then). That's quite a achievement imo. for a fraction of the cost.

#46 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,820 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:57

I understand your view @lights, can't say mine is otherwise. But the amount of views on what title just show how it works for the masses.

He has enough money, but this channel will keep him getting sponsors and deals and the channel likely brings in more then a million a year, so, why not right? I doubt he would get that with quality content. His post Q from yesterday is almost as often seen as yesterday's official paddock pass (on YouTube then). That's quite a achievement imo. for a fraction of the cost.

honestly, it just seems like he actually is enjoying himself... Good on him. Even better that he can earn something with it.

#47 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:00

Oh clickbait works, trust me. If he just writes Hungarian GP Analysis he just attracts those who *really* care a lot about his opinion. With some clickbait about a topic of interest everyone else is curious to at least check if there is some sort of good information (usually there isnt) or to see what stupid stuff he is saying this time. Sadly you can only succeed on youtube in this way. If you mean with succeeding earning more money and become more popular of course. He probably doesnt care that his reputation as a pundit suffers under this from the hard core fans, it's not like sky or RTL would drop him over this. The casual fan probably finds him super competent and reliable.

Edited by Marklar, 04 August 2019 - 09:00.

#48 ANF

ANF

• 29,339 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:08

It's not that bad.

IS IT NOT THAT BAD?!?!?!

#49 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,614 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:21

Max or Bottas. Watched a few hungarian race starts and it really is the drag off the line but it is so important to make sure you are bot compromised from turn 1 into 2 and 3.

3rd place seems to come under a lot of pressure so i expect ferraris to be pressuring lewis in the first half of lap 1.

If Bottas starts like in silverstone max will be miles ahead and ferrari may leap thr mercs

Edited by w1Y, 04 August 2019 - 09:23.

#50 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:22

Oh clickbait works, trust me. If he just writes Hungarian GP Analysis he just attracts those who *really* care a lot about his opinion. With some clickbait about a topic of interest everyone else is curious to at least check if there is some sort of good information (usually there isnt) or to see what stupid stuff he is saying this time. Sadly you can only succeed on youtube in this way. If you mean with succeeding earning more money and become more popular of course. He probably doesnt care that his reputation as a pundit suffers under this from the hard core fans, it's not like sky or RTL would drop him over this. The casual fan probably finds him super competent and reliable.

He also seems to be liked in the paddock by almost everyone and seems to enjoying keeping being part of it. This is I think also one of the few ways to stay in the paddock. Seems way to nice and lack confidence/drive to be in a role as team manager for instance.

I'm not a fan, neither a hater, but i do like seeing him enjoying his life.