Photo
- - - - -

Bottas - Leclerc collision, Hungary 2019 [split]

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: The Broken wing of Bottas (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Whose fault was that?

1. No-one's fault, jeeze/ racing incident (53 votes [43.44%])

Percentage of vote: 43.44%

2. Bottas (8 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

3. Leclerc (61 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Other/don't know/I am mad my option is not here and will explain it in the comments (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,257 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:37

Unless you think that breaking front wing was Bottas's own fault that's pretty harsh.

Not saying it was good race in any means as the progress wasn't very strong after the early pit stop. Around 6 would be acceptable grade.

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:53

Unless you think that breaking front wing was Bottas's own fault that's pretty harsh.

Not saying it was good race in any means as the progress wasn't very strong after the early pit stop. Around 6 would be acceptable grade.

According to https://www.autospor...ated-verstappen it was at least more Bottas' fault than Leclerc's: 

"Initially, it seemed Leclerc had emphatically chopped across Bottas's nose, so it was a surprise that the stewards took no action. But later, FIA race director Michael Masi explained that the overhead view showed Bottas actually moved to the right - and so it did. What actually happened was Leclerc moved left to pin Bottas to the inside, but it was the drift of the Mercedes to the right that caused the contact - and resulting front wing damage."

#3 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:04

According to https://www.autospor...ated-verstappen it was at least more Bottas' fault than Leclerc's: 

"Initially, it seemed Leclerc had emphatically chopped across Bottas's nose, so it was a surprise that the stewards took no action. But later, FIA race director Michael Masi explained that the overhead view showed Bottas actually moved to the right - and so it did. What actually happened was Leclerc moved left to pin Bottas to the inside, but it was the drift of the Mercedes to the right that caused the contact - and resulting front wing damage."

Well that is a bunch of BS.  When Leclerc went right there was a car wide gap between the two cars. Leclerc then came back to the left. Bottas didn't suddenly drift a car length to the right.

oBdjF34.png

Q67vWqk.png

#4 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:11

Agreed, clearly Leclerc at fault here why is he moving to the right for that corner ? Strange move again by Leclerc. 

#5 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:09

Well that is a bunch of BS.  When Leclerc went right there was a car wide gap between the two cars. Leclerc then came back to the left. Bottas didn't suddenly drift a car length to the right.

oBdjF34.png

Q67vWqk.png

Have you seen the overhead shot referred to in the article?

I haven't, I'm assuming it paints a different picture.

#6 mclara

mclara

• 2,279 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:16

Very unlikley. It is pretty clear who moved where and where not from these two pictures. This isn't rocket sience but the race director probably confused Leclerc with Vettel :drunk: :drunk:

I also noticed how Leclerc moved suddenly to the left on the overhead reply right after the incident.

Edited by mclara, 05 August 2019 - 10:17.

#7 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:16

It doesn't change it at all, Leclerc is the only one doing wrong.

#8 Sarkis

Sarkis

• 279 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:18

In those shots, if anything, Bottas is a fraction closer to the left edge of the track than before in the second shot...

Edited by Sarkis, 05 August 2019 - 10:19.

#9 itsgreen84

itsgreen84

• 503 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:37

7wiL7In.jpg

0nHdnzr.jpg

Looked at it, there was a slight movement also from Bottas...

Edited by itsgreen84, 05 August 2019 - 10:40.

#10 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:41

0nHdnzr.jpg

7wiL7In.jpg

Looked at it, there was a slight movement also from Bottas...

They were approaching a slight right hand corner or bend so its normal that Bottas steered a bit right to prepare for the upcoming left hander...

Stewards thought of that as racing incident but Leclerc was 100% af ault

#11 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:47

That's the heli shot I'm assuming

giphy.gif

They were approaching a slight right hand corner or bend so its normal that Bottas steered a bit right to prepare for the upcoming left hander...

Yeah, but he is at that point already behind Leclerc, you cant just prepare the corner as if nobody was there

(not saying that Bottas did something wrong here, but just that this argument is a tad irrelevant in this discussion)

#12 ANF

ANF

• 29,519 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:48

oBdjF34.png

Q67vWqk.png

Here's the overhead shot: https://www.formula1...c_on_Lap_1.html

The two of them moved towards each other: Leclerc moved left, Bottas moved right (to a lesser extent than Leclerc).

Two cropped and magnified frames:

LB.jpg

Edited by ANF, 05 August 2019 - 10:50.

#13 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:49

Right call by the stewards for me.

#14 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:56

That's the heli shot I'm assuming

giphy.gif

Yeah, but he is at that point already behind Leclerc, you cant just prepare the corner as if nobody was there

(not saying that Bottas did something wrong here, but just that this argument is a tad irrelevant in this discussion)

Leclerc was in the very middle of the track when he should've been in the right (thats where the racing line is), and Bottas was so much to the left and also out of position and far away from the racing line because he had nowhere else to go.

I dont think there's an doubt about who is to blame, I dont know why there's even a discussion, but maybe thats just me...

#15 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:17

Leclerc was in the very middle of the track when he should've been in the right (thats where the racing line is)

If everybody has to keep to the racing line nobody will ever make a pass..... As you'll see Bottas is on the racing line (though a bit swerving strangely).

Leclerc is there to make a pass and succeeds. Then, when he almost fully ahead, Bottas makes a slight move to the right. 

Edited by scheivlak, 05 August 2019 - 11:17.

#16 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,996 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:21

That heli-shot looks like a completely different incident, I know it obviously isn't, but it looks like it.

On a sidenote, it might just be because Leclerc have had some races in a row now with things happening, but did he use to do this stuff pre-Austria?

#17 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,749 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:24

If everybody has to keep to the racing line nobody will ever make a pass..... As you'll see Bottas is on the racing line (though a bit swerving strangely).

Leclerc is there to make a pass and succeeds. Then, when he almost fully ahead, Bottas makes a slight move to the right. 

Did you miss the part were Leclerc made a sudden, big move to the left? :drunk:

#18 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,839 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:27

Wings can get clipped quite easily at the start... Tad unlucky. Maybe a bit more Leclerc´s fault, but a racing incident nonetheless.

#19 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:33

Oh and Leclerc didn't do that unnecessary move even further to the left? :smoking:

Bottas thought Leclerc wouldn't move like that which is the obvious thing, along with starting to move to the right to prepare for T4 left hander (have to move to the right to do it properly)

Advertisement

#20 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:34

Did you miss the part were Leclerc made a sudden, big move to the left? :drunk:

From the heli shot it doesn't look that sudden. Charles is going towards the racing line while leaving enough space for Bottas. It is Bottas who moves to the right, no idea why he did that.

The incident was looked at by race control but in the end it was decided that neither driver had done anything wrong in the situation.
Masi later explained that it was only an overhead camera shot taken from a helicopter that offered a proper perspective of what happened - and that the indications were that it was Bottas who had moved towards Leclerc.

#21 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 3,091 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:35

Overhead doesn't paint the right picture imho. Erratic movements should be judged by the racing line, not by the direction of that specific piece of track.

It's like when you go straight ahead in a right hander, technically you're going straight ahead, but line wise you're actually turning left.

Don't think it should've been a penalty though, but Leclerc is kinda pushing it lately, wonder if other drivers (namely midfielders) would've gotten away with it as well.

Edited by Roadhouse, 05 August 2019 - 11:38.

#22 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:40

Overhead doesn't paint the right picture imho.

Actually it does. Yes, Leclerc moves back, but there was always enough room for Bottas. But Bottas moves right, which is clear as day in the overhead shot. He moves right when he has full view on Leclerc who is on the process of overtaking him. Why on earth move towards the guy who is moving towards you?

Edited by A3, 05 August 2019 - 11:41.

#23 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 3,091 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:45

Actually it does. Yes, Leclerc moves back, but there was always enough room for Bottas. But Bottas moves right, which is clear as day in the overhead shot. He moves right when he has full view on Leclerc who is on the process of overtaking him. Why on earth move towards the guy who is moving towards you?

I guess because he didn't expect Leclerc to turn relatively left.

#24 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 1,365 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:46

It was sloppy by Leclerc a bit Vettel-esque even, not really penalty worthy though. Leclerc is a lot less experienced and has shown some real skill behind the wheel this year, but he's going to have to up his game if he wants to compete on Verstappen/Hamilton's level in next few years.

#25 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:48

I guess because he didn't expect Leclerc to turn relatively left.

F1 driver doesn't expect rival to move to the racing line.

Ok. :drunk:
Bottas had the best seat in the house to see Leclerc moving towards him.

#26 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,246 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:50

Right call by the stewards. These cars are nearly 6m long now with almost zero rearward visibility. Charles obviously believed he was completely in front of Bottas, but his drift to the left looked like a defensive move to make sure Bottas stayed there.

Once behind, it should be up to Bottas then to make sure he doesn't lose his front wing against the rear of Leclerc. The red car is easily visible to Bottas while Leclerc wont be able to see the Merc.

#27 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 3,237 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:11

Racing incident. I thought after the first reply in-race, that Leclerc was simply moving to the racing line, having completed the move, and now it appears that was correct. Bottas moved slightly right, which suggests that Leclerc would have cleared Bottas (only just) had that input not been made by Bottas. I think it was very unfortunate, and ruined Bottas' race, but I can't see this as anything more than a racing incident. This stuff happens all the time, and no one cares much. The contact was very slight, and the move wasn't particularly aggressive. Just bad luck IMO.

#28 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 3,091 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:13

F1 driver doesn't expect rival to move to the racing line.

Ok. :drunk:
Bottas had the best seat in the house to see Leclerc moving towards him.

So, why do you think he moved right? Because this F1 driver apparently made a bigger mistake than I thought he did.

Looking at it again, Bottas might've stuck to the normal racing line without accounting for Leclerc to do what he did, possibly because he focused on the Merc ahead.

Reminds me of Kvyat making the same mistake as Albon directly infront of him. Not saying either Merc made a mistake, just that drivers could tend to subconsciously mirror the car directly ahead.

#29 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:41

To me it looks like Hamilton moved right on a different part of the track than Bottas did. I have no explanation for his move other than brain fade.

#30 Garndell

Garndell

• 1,287 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:41

Nailed on LeClerc  :p  at fault, should have been a 5s penalty for causing a collision.  He has no defense for moving across the track away from the racing line to impede a competitor via contact.

Stewards as usual being muppets by not "investigating" it, Masi later saying they used onboards which were deceptive rather than the helicopter shot is utterly negligent but standard fare for the FIA.

#31 keeppari

keeppari

• 356 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 13:00

Good call IMO. There was plenty of room for Bottas on the left side of the track. A bit dumb/risky move from LeClerc to push it, he would've looked like a muppet if the contact had caused a puncture.

#32 derstatic

derstatic

• 714 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 13:08

On the photo's from Vettel's onboard it looks like Lec is cutting Bottas of quite harshly. Agree with Stewards though that the Heli shows a more nuanced picture. Definately not saying it's Bottas' fault but much more a racing incident than anything worth a penalty. Imo it's nothing nasty from Lec, he's just drifting his car slightly left to compromise Bottas' entry to the T4 left hander and make sure he stays behind. Half a car's width left for Bottas. At the same time Bottas tries to move back right to get the best line. Slight contact. These things happen on first laps.

#33 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 13:12

I'd put it down as a racing incident, the stewards made the right call for once.

#34 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,358 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:26

LeClerc is one of more dirty drivers on the grid. Look at his suicide run in Monte Carlo. His aggressive defending in Silverstone. Hit Bottas yesterday. Nearly hit Vettel as well but I’m sure he was told not to

#35 bernardv

bernardv

• 296 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:40

Just more Leclerc bashing, usual stuff. If for example Max would do the same thing you guys would go "... uh....ah...what brilliant driving on the edge, Bottas had plenty space...".

Yawn. 

#36 pRy

pRy

• 26,336 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:43

bernandv: Are you sure? I thought it wasn't too long ago Max was regarded as reckless and a collision causer on here.

Anyway it looks like the right call and an interesting example of how the on board shots aren't always the best at concluding who is to blame in a collision. 

Edited by pRy, 05 August 2019 - 15:43.

#37 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:46

Race director Masi: Onboard shots a 'distorted' view of Leclerc/Bottas clash

https://www.motorspo...ian-gp/4508639/

#38 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:46

The impact that killed Bottas' front wing was obviously LeClerc's fault. Had he not squeezed Bottas, nothing would've happened. Having said that, I don't think it was severe enough to warrant a penalty. Bottas had room to avoid the collision, but probably just didn't expect the move where LeClerc made it. 

#39 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:52

WTF was Leclerc thinking?

Advertisement

#40 bernardv

bernardv

• 296 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:59

@pRy I was refering to the general sentiment on this thread i.e. forum, not the Autosport article on this topic.

What Max was doing before this year was often plain stupid aggression, but now he got a bit wiser and what he does is now tolerated. Apparently F1 wants him as the next big star. Charles just adjusted his style from being a bit soft to what the stewards are now allowing to pass. Blaming him for being dirty without seeing the big picture ...  :stoned:

#41 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 16:01

Aerial vs. on-board.

The part about the "distortion" is probably referring to the fact that Vettel moved right and so Leclerc's move to the left seems exaggerated on the onboard camera.

But still, I don't know why Leclerc was doing moving to the left side of the track before a left-hander. He was in the middle of the race track, then briefly moved left off the racing line, seemingly in order to intimidate Bottas.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#42 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,972 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 16:02

Racing incident. As much as Bottas was unlucky, Leclerc was lucky that he didn't pick up a puncture himself. Which imo doesn't make Leclerc guilty of a punishable offense, but his team should still tell him not to ride that close to fire again.

#43 djparky

djparky

• 2,003 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 16:12

Simple first lap racing incident, dont see why there needs to be any micro analysis of it

#44 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,274 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 16:13

Unlucky racing incident. LeClerc's fault but not worth of anything more than just saying that. he took  a big useless chance at a puncture there

#45 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,071 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 16:28

Bottas was behind and had a better view of what was happening. Even then he steered right into Leclerc, who was defending the space to the right (which includes the racing line and then some) by adjusting his line to the left for the next left corner. Leclerc left enough space.

#46 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,274 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 16:31

Bottas was behind and had a better view of what was happening. Even then he steered right into Leclerc, who was defending the space to the right (which includes the racing line and then some) by adjusting his line to the left for the next left corner. Leclerc left enough space.

the speed differential was huge. it was clear to both drivers

both of them made "deadly" assumptions.

- leclerc assumed bottas was already cleared

- bottas assumed leclerc will completely keep his line as it was obvious he wouldn't be a threat in T4. 

Just a scew up from both, as I said, LeClerc played a bit with fire, risking a puncture without any reward at the end of that risk. He was going to pass no matter what line he was taking. I think it was more on LeClerc, as he is doing the bigger movement

Edited by MikeTekRacing, 05 August 2019 - 16:32.

#47 OneLapWonder

OneLapWonder

• 74 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 16:33

From the heli shot it doesn't look that sudden. Charles is going towards the racing line while leaving enough space for Bottas. It is Bottas who moves to the right, no idea why he did that.

Because he is trying to fend off, and therefore probably focusing on, Vettel. It's more clear from the helicopter angle; there was a risk of Vettel coming alongside before corner entry.

Edit: Nevertheless Leclerc also moves unnecessarily to the left. 'Racing incident' therefore suffices. 

Edited by OneLapWonder, 05 August 2019 - 16:36.

#48 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,647 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 17:29

LeClerc trying to emulate Vettel in track awareness is not a good thing.

#49 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 18:03

I don’t think that was penalty worthy by Leclerc but he’s becoming one of the least likable drivers on the grid both with his comments and actions on track.

#50 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 19:27

Exactly this, so I'm baffled by the poll results. :confused:

Edited by A3, 05 August 2019 - 19:28.