Photo
- - - - -

Which of the last four F1 races was the best?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Best race from the last four Grand Prix? (116 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Grand Prix was best, in YOUR opinion?

1. Austria (12 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

2. Britain (23 votes [19.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.83%

3. Germany (62 votes [53.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.45%

4. Hungary (19 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

Was the race you chose in the question above, the best F1 race of 2019?

1. Yes (112 votes [96.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.55%

2. No (4 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:13

As the title says, of the last four amazing F1 races which do you think were best. They were all great of course, and I could watch them all again. But which one is top of the tree?

Austria?

Britain?

Germany?

Hungary?

Will be interesting to see what you guys think. Whether you prefer the chaos but entertainment of Hockenheim, or the more 'pure' races like Austria and Hungary? Or maybe you enjoyed the wheel to wheel action of Britain.

Try not to sit on the fence!

For me it's either Austria or Hungary. I genuinely can't choose so I tossed a coin (tails for Austria, head for Hungary) and it landed on tails.  :D  Austria it is then. 

Thoughts?

Edited by f1paul, 06 August 2019 - 20:15.

Advertisement

#2 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:15

I don't remember already...

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:20

Action-wise Hockenheim. Quality-wise Silverstone. Fight-for-the-lead-wise Spielberg and Budapest.

Not sure what to vote for though.

#4 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:22

My personal favorite is Hungary.

But the overall best grand prix of the season so far? Objectively that's Hockenheim.

#5 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:27

I'm a fan of Max but Britain was the best because of epic clash like I didn't see in years between Max and Leclerc.

#6 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,577 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:29

Silverstone.

#7 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:43

Considering this is posted on here as the worst Formula 1 season ever, hard to chose.

As an aside why is this ranking important?  Surely the mid season break has not resorted already in the equivalent of the "urine drinking stage" as suffered by past nautical maritimer's  for people who need F1?    We're only 3 days in to 3 weeks!

Perhaps a pirate might make an appearance to spice things up.   

Good old Red Beard himself,  

TELEMMGLPICT000158957565_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Edited by Andy35, 06 August 2019 - 20:44.

#8 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:50

I loved the total madness of Hockenheim, probably the craziest race since Baku '17. Quality wise it should go to Silverstone or Austria probably.

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,326 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:55

All four where great and all for slightly different reasons. But I know that Hockenheim had my heart racing the most.

#10 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,410 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:57

On the strength of you making this a public poll, you deserve an answer. This I would not have done otherwise because Silverstone and Hungary were both seriously good.

#11 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,677 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 21:36

While all were decent, I would still find it easiest to put Silverstone 4th of these. I voted for Austria, but Hockenheim and Hungary were considered.

Edit - Nothing can really replace action at the front, and the winner was decided quite early on at Silverstone.

Edited by PlatenGlass, 06 August 2019 - 21:38.

#12 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 21:59

Germany
Hungary
Silverstone
Austria

#13 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 23:28

Germany  aiaec (and it ain't even close) :)

#14 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 23:31

Germany for me for three reasons:-

1: Rain!!

2: Lots of things happened

3: That hilarious Mercedes pitstop :rotfl:

#15 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 23:44

Is this one of the best 4 races in a row? Certainly in the last few years, what a turn around after France.

#16 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 00:34

Iowa.  Went a little late but it was a good race...

#17 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 00:54

Hockenheim for me.

#18 Dratini

Dratini

• 2,536 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:01

Germany for mine. Had there not been a SC 20 laps into the British Grand Prix then I'd say that would have won my heart hands down, considering how it was going up until the point at which Giovinazzi ran out of talent.

#19 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:55

My vote for Hungary was skewed by the fact I already can't remember Austria ( says more about me than it, I'm sure). Also, huge fun though Germany was as a one off, I don't really want to watch the equivalent of skaters falling over because someone accidentally greased the edge of the rink, nor endless plays where the main actors keep falling into the orchestra pit, I want to see awesome racing.

Advertisement

#20 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:59

Germany was wacky races, but I think Austria, GB and Hungary had better actual racing battles. I voted Austria for Max's charge. But Bahrain was also an excellent race.

#21 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:06

1. Hockenheim - Just totall bonkers. A Racing Point and Toro Rosso with a shot at the podium. Action and excitement throughout.

2. Hungary - Great, great battle between two giants of the sport. Flat out 'purple rain' racing. Has been long since we saw that.

3. Austria - Great battle for the lead. The dominant force struggling. The new kid rising.

4. Silverstone - The race started off brilliantly, but the SC ruined what could have become a cracker.

#22 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:40

Germany is one of the all-time craziest and most entertaining races I've ever watched.

#23 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,044 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:59

Also, huge fun though Germany was as a one off, I don't really want to watch the equivalent of skaters falling over because someone accidentally greased the edge of the rink, nor endless plays where the main actors keep falling into the orchestra pit, I want to see awesome racing.

Nah. You're describing aquaplaning a la Brazil 2003 where there was an active river on the track. In Germany the track was perfectly fine - they all were on inters after all - just that the modern skaters are overly used to also skating *outside* of the rink where they should be staying, because of the excessive safety zones the organizers have frozen there to make the performers not fall anymore and look impeccable.

Just that for once, someone forgot to make a "safety freezing" in one place outside of the "rink" so it caught them out - just like 20 years ago nearly every corner would have...

Edited by noriaki, 07 August 2019 - 08:00.

#24 masa90

masa90

• 2,032 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:16

Austria, Hockenheim, Hungary and Silverstone last. British Gp was good but the way safety car made sure of Lewis winning ruined a bit. Loved the battles on Austria and Hungary and well Hockenheim was just crazy oldskool rainrace.

#25 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,229 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:43

For me it is Hungary since it was a fight between the best drivers which lasted pretty much the whole race. Brilliant race IMO.

#26 kpastri

kpastri

• 90 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:58

Silverstone

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:04

I picked Hungary because it had a proper battle for the lead, decided fairly. Very high standard of the last four.

I wonder when the last time was that we had such a sequence of exciting and notable races. 1996 had Monaco, Spain and a pretty evenful Canadian Grand Prix back-to-back.

#28 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:15

I actually went for Austria, which had less action than Germany but more tension. And a climactic finish.

#29 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:25

Nah. You're describing aquaplaning a la Brazil 2003 where there was an active river on the track. In Germany the track was perfectly fine - they all were on inters after all - just that the modern skaters are overly used to also skating *outside* of the rink where they should be staying, because of the excessive safety zones the organizers have frozen there to make the performers not fall anymore and look impeccable.

Just that for once, someone forgot to make a "safety freezing" in one place outside of the "rink" so it caught them out - just like 20 years ago nearly every corner would have...

A couple of them were on slicks. Ironically, gravel would likely have saved them, rather than aquaplaning across a small pond. :)

#30 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 5,614 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:27

Tough call. I've gone for Hungary even though I enjoyed Hockenheim the most of any race I can actively remember! I feel that in pure racing terms Hungary was a better race than Germany, but Germany was waaaaaaaaay more fun. It's a bit like why I watch F1 and FE. F1 for the epitome of driving skill and engineering (for the most part) and FE because it makes me grin.

#31 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 932 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:28

For racing quality, Austria. But for out and out action, Germany.

#32 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,057 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:36

Difficult to choose between Austria and Hungary, but I'll go for Hungary. Not only tense and exciting racing, but significant too. Come back in thirty years and that'll be the one in the history books.

Germany was fun while it lasted but a bit too chaotic to mean very much, like a game of chance decided by which puddle you hit after you'd already lost control.

Edited by Sterzo, 07 August 2019 - 11:36.

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,326 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:39

I picked Hungary because it had a proper battle for the lead, decided fairly. Very high standard of the last four.

I wonder when the last time was that we had such a sequence of exciting and notable races. 1996 had Monaco, Spain and a pretty evenful Canadian Grand Prix back-to-back.

Good shout. Go back a couple of races though and you get the dramatic European GP where Villeneuve held off Schumacher for his first win, and a San Marino GP that saw Coulthard lead early on before Hill and Schumacher battled on different strategies. Probably about as good as Canada was.

#34 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:53

Germany was a lot of fun, so it's hard not to vote for it. Hungary was an all round great race though and it's amazing that it still has a reputation for poor racing, despite providing plenty of really good races over the last 20 years since it was updated in the early 2000's.

The last 4 races make for one hell of a change compared to the first 8 where only Bahrain was any good.

#35 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:03

Good shout. Go back a couple of races though and you get the dramatic European GP where Villeneuve held off Schumacher for his first win, and a San Marino GP that saw Coulthard lead early on before Hill and Schumacher battled on different strategies. Probably about as good as Canada was.

The final six races of 2008 (Belgium/Italy/Singapore/Japan/China/Brazil) are pretty hard to beat, except by the final six of 2006 (Hungary/Turkey/Italy/China/Japan/Brazil).

#36 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 13:23

I’m always partial to a bit of chaos, so Germany. Wet race, top drivers struggling, a random part of the track, it’s all great. I wouldn’t want every race to be like that, and I equally enjoy some hard racing for the lead like Hungary, but once in a while we need it.

#37 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 13:27

In 2011 we had Spain, Monaco, Canada, Valencia, Silverstone, Germany, Hungary.

Valencia was a dud, but that is 6/7 races that were all really good. Spain wasn't as memorable so maybe drop it to 5/6.

You can extend it back even further to include Turkey (dud) and China (classic). 7/9.

Edited by TomNokoe, 07 August 2019 - 13:28.

#38 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 13:41

Hockenheim for me is the most memorable similarly to Spa '98. It's also the only one of the 4 there was any tension with Hulks performance till he eventually inevitably bottled it :yawnface:

#39 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 1,001 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 14:01

Hockenheim then Austria. Don't remember Silverstone much apart from Vettel hitting into Verstappen. Hungary you knew Hamilton was going to win, as you just had to look at Vettel & Leclerc like for like comparison with Vettel pitting a few laps earlier, with the DRS both were sitting ducks and the fight wasn't ever going to last once it got down to turn 1.

Advertisement

#40 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,680 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 14:06

I picked Germany but the were all awesome.  I'd put Hungary as least of the 4, Austria was great because of Max's comeback, Silverstone was great because of Charles going 'okay, if thats how we're allowed to fight, lets fight' and I don't see many people fighting Max that hard but fair.

Yeah, 4 great races, amazing we're even in the position to discuss this....

#41 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 14:55

In terms of racing purism, it can only be the Habsburg Derby, Austria or Hungary, because neither had a safety car bugger things up.

And of the two I'd go with the one that had a clean overtaking move for the lead.  But Hungary was one of those almost epochal races, with proper savouring it can go along with Fangio's German GP pursuit or Mansell's of Piquet.  Shorter time for Hamilton, but a much better target.

#42 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,474 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 15:40

A couple of them were on slicks. Ironically, gravel would likely have saved them, rather than aquaplaning across a small pond. :)

I think it was more down to the drag strip surface rather than standing water, throw water on a drag strip and it becomes an ice rink.

#43 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,998 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 16:35

Hungary........

Austria..........

Silverstone...

Germany......

#44 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 17:05

For me Germany and I don't give a stuff how pure it wasn't. It was 2 hours of not knowing where anyone was going to finish, if at all, let alone the top 2. Loved the bravery of certain drivers in T1 and the stadium and the actual chance of a DNF. 

I know it will be fashionable on here to say "Hungary or Austria" to look like a proper fan... but I get so little time these days to myself, I just need bags of entertainment when I have 2 spare hours! 

Hungary and Austria were pure but essentially fairly predictable from about the midway point as we all awaited the inevitable lead change. 

Edited by Rinehart, 07 August 2019 - 17:07.

#45 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,545 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 17:14

All this talk and I'm going to go back and watch them all to properly decide again!!  :lol:

#46 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 17:23

For me Germany and I don't give a stuff how pure it wasn't. It was 2 hours of not knowing where anyone was going to finish, if at all, let alone the top 2. Loved the bravery of certain drivers in T1 and the stadium and the actual chance of a DNF. 

I know it will be fashionable on here to say "Hungary or Austria" to look like a proper fan... but I get so little time these days to myself, I just need bags of entertainment when I have 2 spare hours! 

Hungary and Austria were pure but essentially fairly predictable from about the midway point as we all awaited the inevitable lead change.

Really? Hockenheim looks like the fashionable choice, not the unpopular one! I think I need to watch it again. It was great, but seemed disjointed by too many SCs and VSCs. In the end the winner was inevitable about 20 laps before the finish, and the podium battle also had a sense of inevitability about it as the cars were canon fodder to Vettel's Ferrari. It had the usual wet weather induced madness though, and drivers being punished by errors, which is a plus.

Austria was more of a charge and elbows out fight to the end from two emerging stars. Would he/ won't he pass for the lead which Hockenheim never had. So it gets my vote against a race that was reset half a dozen times and in which the fizz went out of slightly towards the end (i.e, the real unpopular not a proper fan opinion in this topic). :)

#47 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 17:30

Hockenheim for spectacle during the entire race. Austria was pretty boring actually until the final 10 or so laps. Hungary was only entertaining on strategy. Silverstone was probably the best race for pure racing.