Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Will Fernando Alonso return to F1?

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

Poll: The annual what will Alonso be doing next year poll (295 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Fernando Alonso return to F1?

1. Yes (44 votes [14.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.92%

2. No (251 votes [85.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.08%

Would you like to see Alonso back in F1?

1. Yes (146 votes [49.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.49%

2. No (69 votes [23.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.39%

3. Not bothered (80 votes [27.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.12%

What will Alonso be doing in 2020? (I have NO idea)

1. F1 (30 votes [7.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.39%

2. Indycar (full season) (60 votes [14.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.78%

3. Indy 500 only (129 votes [31.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.77%

4. Rallying (including Dakar) (72 votes [17.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.73%

5. Formula E (16 votes [3.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.94%

6. V8 Supercars (10 votes [2.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.46%

7. GT Racing (28 votes [6.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

8. Nothing (61 votes [15.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 39 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 15:39

Fernando Alonso would be great in 2020! Maybe even better in 2021. He had many opportunities but almost never such a dominant car like Vettel or Hamilton in their years... IMO he's a victim of the failed politics of formula one since 2014. Engine formula was doomed to kill the drivers influence. That was and is such a shame. Only exception seems to be Verstappen. Or Gasly is really that bad. If the racing gods are in a good mood maybe we'll see Fernandos comeback. But there are a lot of "if's"...I would welcome it!

Advertisement

#102 as65p

as65p

• 22,012 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 16:24

Interesting counter argument. I would encourage him not to swallow his pride in order to get back into the good books of the F1 paddock.

That's what I meant.

But humbling yourself a bit to win the Indy 500 and do a year racing Indycars? That's worth it, surely.

I would think it's worth it, and I don't even see the humbling part in it. As a fan, I'd love him to do a few seasons in Indycar, full Emmo style  ;)

#103 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,675 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 17:01

You clearly have no idea what indycar is.

I don't know that much about IndyCar but I was under the impression that it was more or less a spec series. The wiki on it seems to suggest that as well. Could you educate me as to why I'm wrong please ? The chassis, bodywork and engines are all spec and they are not allowed to alter them much, is that correct ?

#104 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 17:16

Young, up and coming, cheap talent or an expensive, cantankerous old guy flouncing around the garage? It is a real tough decision.

#105 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 17:39

I’ve really enjoyed the F1 races this year and FA wasn’t there. Life moves on.

If the top teams really wanted him, he would be in there. But they don’t want or need him and we all know why. He is way more trouble than he is worth.

If you also enjoyed the first 8 races of the season then you muct be a Merc and/or Hamilton fan .....

#106 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,342 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 17:40

Young, up and coming, cheap talent or an expensive, cantankerous old guy flouncing around the garage? It is a real tough decision.

unclear talent, hasn't smashed his team mate in the past or guy winning races and bringing points?

not really a tough decision

#107 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 17:43

I don't know that much about IndyCar but I was under the impression that it was more or less a spec series. The wiki on it seems to suggest that as well. Could you educate me as to why I'm wrong please ? The chassis, bodywork and engines are all spec and they are not allowed to alter them much, is that correct ?

Indycar is like communism: We are all the same and equal but some of us are a bit better and more equal.

Seriously.  Parts etc are indeed spec save a few details in which freedom is allowed.(Engien being one of them: Honda or Chevy)  But well funded teams with tons of expertices have more knwoledge about how to tweak the cars and make it perform a bit better. And like in F1, you have top teams who have it all and minor ones that are field filling. The gab between top and bottom howevers is nowhere near as large as in F1.

#108 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 138 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 19:20

If you also enjoyed the first 8 races of the season then you muct be a Merc and/or Hamilton fan .....

I’m a Jordan Fan :)

But sadly as they are no longer around, I’m a Williams Fan. So 2019 has been brutal from a team Williams performance perspective.

I’ve genuinely enjoyed all the races this year, while the end results have been predictable, they were not always guaranteed.

#109 FLB

FLB

• 10,146 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 19:58

Operation Charm is full-ON, I think...

#110 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 20:04

Operation Charm is full-ON, I think...

Can't find it now. I'll re-post if I see it up again...

ETA: OK, here it is...from his instagram Q&A. It's kinda interesting. I'm still going through it now.

8d2wo3b.png

Edited by AustinF1, 08 August 2019 - 20:48.

#111 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 377 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 20:05

Montezemolo left way before Alonso did.  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:

Alonso signed a legal document terminating his contract at a meeting in Maranello in September 2014 after discussions (which included his father) in the preceding two or three months.

Montezemolo left Ferrari in mid-October 2014.  His departure was unrelated to Alonso's departure.

#112 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,484 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 21:24

You clearly have no idea what indycar is.

Sorry the plethora of different chassis must have confused me.

#113 Laminar

Laminar

• 216 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 23:09

Damn...i really want whatever you are smoking dude...seems fun to get lost from reality for a while

1. Blackmailing the CEO to ensure he gets preferential treatment

2. Cheating with a competitor's information

3. Helping to plan his team mate to crash his car, and win a race, and then pretends he knows nothing about it

4. Costing his team a 100 mil fine

5. That comment of putting down a supplier at their home grand prix

So yes, no one wants him and his ego in F1. 

1. You are ignoring the context, he said this after Hamilton broke the qualifying team rules, so it was a retaliation.

2. The team cheated, not the drivers.

3. No evidence.

4.Ron Dennis cost the team when he called Mosley.

5. oh boo hoo.

#114 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,675 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:54

I can't speak for MrRat, but I'll make a guess that he's referring to your apparent assertion that whether you make the show is all down to driver performance. If you think that's what happened this year with Alonso, you've got it wrong.

You have made a mistake. I made no such assertion. 

#115 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,675 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:57

Indycar is like communism: We are all the same and equal but some of us are a bit better and more equal.

Seriously.  Parts etc are indeed spec save a few details in which freedom is allowed.(Engien being one of them: Honda or Chevy)  But well funded teams with tons of expertices have more knwoledge about how to tweak the cars and make it perform a bit better. And like in F1, you have top teams who have it all and minor ones that are field filling. The gab between top and bottom howevers is nowhere near as large as in F1.

Apart from the choice between two engine manufacturers, how is it different in principle from other spec series ? Surely in other series, you have mechanics and engineers looking at the available parts and trying to make them work better, and some teams have more resources than others, also. 

#116 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 518 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:13

Can't find it now. I'll re-post if I see it up again...

ETA: OK, here it is...from his instagram Q&A. It's kinda interesting. I'm still going through it now.

8d2wo3b.png

What's the Japanese for "Humble Pie" ?

#117 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:56

Here's what was asked & answered in the Q&A for anyone who's interested. I think I got it all. Some were already in English & I translated the rest...

Q: Fav Indy teammate? (Apparently from Marco Andretti)

A: You my friend! (posted with pic of Fernando & Marco)

Q: What is your opinion about the current F1? Problems you have or things to improve from

A: F1 will always be F1. At the same time, the problems of these last years are still present with abysmal differences. Luckily, performances such as Verstappen and Hamilton the last GP make the race interesting. At least theirs.

Q: What is your opinion on Honda's pace?

A: Very good improvements! Happy to see all the guys that we did struggling at the beginning of the program now getting more competitive! Also for Renault. I think both did a very good step forward and the sport will benefit next coming years.

Q: Rosberg want your come back in a Mercedes F1. What do you think about that?

A: I've been surprised a bit how many talked about that recently.. :). I had the best first half of the season possible. Winning a world championship, Daytona, Sebring, Le Mans...! If one day I decide to come back you will know it.

Q: Do you think your most beautiful ending would be to return to Formula 1 and your third World Championship?

A: No. Sure no. All the dreams I had in F1 I had the immense luck of having fulfilled them! Good ... more than it would sound. So trying to be the best in any category any car seems to me today a dream as ambitious as almost impossible. And this is exciting..!

Q: Toughest opponent in your F1 career?

A: Michael

Q: Your favorite moment in Ferrari?

A: All. 5 incredible years. We fought, never broke, and ran with the heart. This is unique

Q: What can you say about your time in Ferrari?

A: Great! What you saw and what you didn't see! Big family. Every day at Maranello was all about team spirit and focus to fight.

Q: Are you aware of what this question & answer means for the press? It's like meat for lions

A: It's better to read what I say than read often the opposite of what I said...! So it's better to do it.

Q: Q: I miss you so much

A: Well, I've had a year now without much rest

Q: Hi Fernando Italy always loves you remember it

A: (Fernando posts photo of him raising his hands in praise of Ferrari team that's posed for photo in front of him)

Q: Any chance one day you'll set up your own F3 then F2 and probably an F1 team?

A: I would say very small chance. I'm more focused into the Karting School and young formulas in order to help discover this beautiful sport.

Q: Why people say that's hard to work with you? Do you think that you are a team worker?

A: Absolutely. It's funny. It's always the opposite message that the people that have worked with me are giving, but maybe it's not selling well that message. So for whatever reason there is sometimes the need to create that feeling. It's funny. Shame for them who keep writing their own views. Surely I'm giving my 100% and I encourage everyone to do the same (I guess like Senna did, Prost, or whoever with ambition). But we are one. I gi8ve everything for any team any lap I do, every day I work. The best proof is that I drove for Renault and I came back to them, I drove 2007 for McLaren and I came back to them, etcetc same with any team that recently We succeed in other series. The people that worked with me apparently are happy.

Q: Will you be in Singapore for the race?

A: Not Singapore..! But this year I will be in Monza, Austin, and maybe Abu Dhabi.

Q; What opinion do you have of Formula E? Do you think it's like the current F1 or its successor?

A: I don't think as a successor. But it is true that they are gathering a lot of brands, great drivers, and the spectacle of the race is many times superior and unpredictable. The two categories I hope they continue forever and more every day.

Q: Thanks to you I became an engineer. The best decision I could ever make. Thank you!

A: How good!! I'm glad! Now for more goals!This was my first engineer at Renault. My friend Paul Monaghan. (Pictured with Paul Monaghan at Red Bull while Fernando was with McLaren Honda)

Q: "Vettel said that you don't like him. Is this true?"

A: "Yes, I've heard that! It's absolutely not true. We've always had respect for each other and have a warm bond. I feel bad that he thinks that. I think it's just the [heat of] the moment in the press conference, the situation, etc. But I repeat that it's just the opposite."

Q: Why did you choose the number 14?

A: Because I became karting world champion at the age of 14, the 14th of July, and the number on the kart was 14. From that day it's my fav number.

Q: "Vettel said that you don't like him. Is this true?"
A: "Yes, I've heard that! It's absolutely not true. We've always had respect for each other and have a warm bond. I feel bad that he thinks that. I think it's just the [heat of] the moment in the press conference, the situation, etc. But I repeat that it's just the opposite."

Edited by AustinF1, 09 August 2019 - 04:39.

#118 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:59

You have made a mistake. I made no such assertion. 

My apologies! I confused you with another poster. :blush:

#119 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,790 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:44

Q: Do you think your most beautiful ending would be to return to Formula 1 and your third World Championship?

A: No. Sure no. All the dreams I had in F1 I had the immense luck of having fulfilled them! Good ... more than it would sound. So trying to be the best in any category any car seems to me today a dream as ambitious as almost impossible. And this is exciting..!

Not sure if he is honest here, he said many times his dream was to get 3 titles like Senna. Good Q&A anyway.

Advertisement

#120 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:51

Not sure if he is honest here, he said many times his dream was to get 3 titles like Senna. Good Q&A anyway.

It's a translation, so something can be lost, but I don't think he's saying he wouldn't want that at all.

#121 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,790 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:48

It's a translation, so something can be lost, but I don't think he's saying he wouldn't want that at all.

Translation is fine, not saying he wouldn't want a third title, but he is saying all his F1 dreams are completed which I don't think is true because his dream was to win 3 titles. I guess his dreams changed or something :lol:

Edited by kosmos, 09 August 2019 - 09:44.

#122 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,933 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:39

I donot think that a race driver with Fernando's Calibre should not want to do three championships.

Never the less, you have moment and momentum.

If the shot were with Honda boys back in Sakura, hummers'...

#123 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 17:01

So, most people seem to think Fernando's next big race will be the Dakar, and that he'll do the Indy 500 next summer as well. I get the feeling the Dakar part may be right, but I'm not so sure about Indy. He hasn't said much either way about what he's doing next summer, except that he won't do WEC and isn't planning to do a full season of IndyCar in 2020 ... so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

#124 revmeister

revmeister

• 542 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 17:11

What Alonso is not saying about next season reminds me of the secrecy of his Ferrari signing during the preceding (2009) season. Lots speculation and denials of such a possibility before the announcement.

The smoothing over of the Honda relationship taking place as well.

Interesting times for sure.

#125 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 19:59

McLaren open to adding third 2020 IndyCar for Alonso for Indy 500 or full season

Edited by AustinF1, 09 August 2019 - 19:59.

#126 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 20:58

It's seemed lately to me like Brown is trying to woo Fernando. This does nothing to change that feeling, imho.

#127 revmeister

revmeister

• 542 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 22:10

Damn...i really want whatever you are smoking dude...seems fun to get lost from reality for a while

Well, I do live in Canada...

#128 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 829 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 22:44

I heard he was going to represent Spain in Badminton at the Olympics next year. I'll post the link if I find it.

#129 revmeister

revmeister

• 542 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:09

I heard he was going to represent Spain in Badminton at the Olympics next year. I'll post the link if I find it.

Well he has flipped a few drivers the bird over the years...

#130 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 21:45

Fernando Alonso discusses potential 2020 or 2021 F1 return in Rachel Brooks interview in the Monza Paddock:

RB: "Will we see you back in Formula 1...?"
FA: "Maybe."
RB: "Are you talking to anyone at the moment about it?
FA: "Always."

Lots more in the full interview: https://t.co/VbBdHez8Nj

#131 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,316 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 21:46

I don't believe 2020, 2021 is actually a very good chance for him. Every top driver runs out of his contract.

#132 messy

messy

• 3,640 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 21:52

I think he’s probably realised the grass isn’t greener on the other side. He’s cruised round getting gifted wins in the WEC and DNQ’d for the Indy 500. One World Championship he hasn’t really had to fight for, one high profile failure. The novelty of Le Mans has worn off. Why wouldn’t he now want to come back?

One thing I would say is that I have no idea where on earth he’d fit now. McLaren have no room at the inn. Nor do Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes.

#133 sopa

sopa

• 12,059 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 22:40

I think he’s probably realised the grass isn’t greener on the other side. He’s cruised round getting gifted wins in the WEC and DNQ’d for the Indy 500. One World Championship he hasn’t really had to fight for, one high profile failure. The novelty of Le Mans has worn off. Why wouldn’t he now want to come back?

One thing I would say is that I have no idea where on earth he’d fit now. McLaren have no room at the inn. Nor do Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes.

Well, there is always Haas. Alfa Romeo would need an experienced driver too if Kimi retires after 2020.

I wouldn't be shocked if Alonso started contemplating a return to F1 after becoming horribly bored of life outside F1 and isn't able to find another fulfilling activity. But surely such realization would mean that he has to drop all expectations of "fighting at the front" and come to drive just for pleasure, just like Kimi does now, even if that's lower down the field.

Edited by sopa, 06 September 2019 - 22:44.

#134 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 22:47

Well, there is always Haas. Alfa Romeo would need an experienced driver too if Kimi retires after 2020.

I wouldn't be shocked if Alonso started contemplating a return to F1 after becoming horribly bored of life outside F1 and isn't able to find another fulfilling activity. But surely such realization would mean that he has to drop all expectations of "fighting at the front" and come to drive just for pleasure, just like Kimi does now, even if that's lower down the field.

Welp ... wewillsee.

#135 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 22:50

Fernando still seems very welcome at Ferrari despite all the 'burned bridges' talk ...

zcfazrh3d0l31.jpg

MZ0E52g.jpg

Edited by AustinF1, 06 September 2019 - 22:59.

#136 as65p

as65p

• 22,012 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 22:52

Oh, I think the grass is greener where he was this year than where it would have been in F1, i.e. in a McLaren fighting for fifth places. I don't think his goals ever changed, either preferably get a winning car in F1 or alternatively win something else. Most likely the first option won't come along, so he sticks with the 2nd. I don't think he cares for a place at Mclaren or Renault, for all their improvement they're still not remotely close to winning anything.

#137 messy

messy

• 3,640 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 23:04

Oh, I think the grass is greener where he was this year than where it would have been in F1, i.e. in a McLaren fighting for fifth places. I don't think his goals ever changed, either preferably get a winning car in F1 or alternatively win something else. Most likely the first option won't come along, so he sticks with the 2nd. I don't think he cares for a place at Mclaren or Renault, for all their improvement they're still not remotely close to winning anything.

Sadly I reckon fighting for fifth in F1 is probably infinitely more fulfilling than his experience of the WEC once the novelty wore off.

The 2018/19 “Superseason” in LMP1 made the worst imaginable F1 season look like a thriller didn’t it? Sure, competing at Le Mans was probably great initially, winning again was a bit of a novelty, but it’s telling that he had no intention of extending his time there.

#138 sopa

sopa

• 12,059 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 23:08

I still don't get, why he doesn't want to do a full IndyCar season. There is a decent chance he could be a front-runner there, unlike in F1. And if the car is not as cool to drive as in F1 - who cares? A racing car is a racing car, just enjoy, and fight for wins. Yeah, would need to live in USA then. But why not? What else would he be doing instead? A couple of one-off races in Europe? Plenty of European drivers have gone to drive IndyCar full-time, most recently Rosenqvist and Ericsson.

Edited by sopa, 06 September 2019 - 23:10.

#139 as65p

as65p

• 22,012 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 23:11

Sadly I reckon fighting for fifth in F1 is probably infinitely more fulfilling than his experience of the WEC once the novelty wore off.

Well, only Alonso could tell, he's done plenty of both by now. I don't see how winning something new is worse than definitely not winning anything for another year, but you probably see it differently.

Advertisement

#140 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 23:13

I still don't get, why he doesn't want to do a full IndyCar season. There is a decent chance he could be a front-runner there, unlike in F1. And if the car is not as cool to drive as in F1 - who cares? A racing car is a racing car, just enjoy, and fight for wins. Yeah, would need to live in USA then. But why not? What else would he be doing instead? A couple of one-off races in Europe? Plenty of European drivers have gone to drive IndyCar full-time, most recently Rosenqvist and Ericsson.

He's only said he doesn't want to run a full IndyCar season in 2019 or 2020, not that he doesn't ever want to run one.

#141 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 14,397 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 23:16

He's only said he doesn't want to run a full IndyCar season in 2019 or 2020, not that he doesn't ever want to run one.

Hoping in 2020 a better drive in F1 came along?

#142 messy

messy

• 3,640 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 23:18

Well, only Alonso could tell, he's done plenty of both by now. I don't see how winning something new is worse than definitely not winning anything for another year, but you probably see it differently.

I get what you’re saying, but I watched a lot of the WEC last season, and it was sh*t.

Indycar would be brilliant for a full season and I’m quite surprised he didn’t go down that route. Maybe didn’t want to uproot and leave Europe full-time? But he could be a legend there, for years to come. He’s the same age as the likes of Will Power, Scott Dixon and Sebastien Bourdais and all are still going strong, too. Proper chance to win Indy, commit to the strongest series out there that isn’t F1, gain a whole new following. His Indy cameos have just been that, really.

Clearly, to me, he just wants to get back into F1 now.

#143 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 23:27

Hoping in 2020 a better drive in F1 came along?

I have no way to know, of course, but I do have a suspicion that maybe he wants to wait until he can drive for Andretti again. But who knows...

I get what you’re saying, but I watched a lot of the WEC last season, and it was sh*t.

Indycar would be brilliant for a full season and I’m quite surprised he didn’t go down that route. Maybe didn’t want to uproot and leave Europe full-time? But he could be a legend there, for years to come. He’s the same age as the likes of Will Power, Scott Dixon and Sebastien Bourdais and all are still going strong, too. Proper chance to win Indy, commit to the strongest series out there that isn’t F1, gain a whole new following. His Indy cameos have just been that, really.

He's said one big reason he hasn't yet committed to a full season in IndyCar is that he'd have to drop his life and move to to the U.S. for a large chunk of the year. He has said he's interested in doing a full season in the future though.

#144 as65p

as65p

• 22,012 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 00:22

Clearly, only in a winning car. I repeat, I don't think what he wants has ever changed. And while he can't get it (if ever) he's doing something else. If he'd chosen "something else" to be midfield F1, he could have had that, and still can (Alfa, Haas, Williams, Force India, never leave McLaren, whatever).

I don't believe he can be swayed by the sheer sensation of being in F1 at this point, he's not 19 anymore.

#145 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,016 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:50

His biggest problem if wanting to return is that it's going to be really hard to do it under his expected conditions: a car capable of winning the WDC. These days there are plenty of drivers that are as fast or faster, some younger, cheaper and less complicated.  Truly, the pretension that he can 1) get into a top car for being Fernando Alonso and 2) fight for a WDC if he gets a top car are, at this stage, very, very optimistic. 

As said by others, his best bet would be to closely monitor the development of the rules and the teams to try and spot a Brawn 2009 and risk an early contract with them if he sees potential, even driving for free or a reduced salary. Or let's say there's a miracle and 2021 produces a very close field of cars ( :rotfl: ), then it would be so much fun to see him competing on a -hopefully- similar footing with the likes of Hamilton, Verstappen, Vettel and Leclerc. Then again, that would be great with or without Alonso...

#146 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:06

...These days there are plenty of drivers that are as fast or faster, some younger, cheaper and less complicated....

I don't believe that for a second.

#147 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 817 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:32

I don't believe that for a second.

You should know when you are being trolled.

#148 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,190 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:43

You should know when you are being trolled.

Oh, I do. I just like to answer the nonsense from time to time. There's plenty more 'round here.

Edited by AustinF1, 07 September 2019 - 03:46.

#149 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 817 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:52

Oh, I do. I just like to answer the nonsense from time to time. There's plenty more 'round here.

It was good to see Fernando with the Ferrari guys, watching F1 has not been the same without him.

#150 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,467 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:57

Only want him back in a car capable of fighting for the World Championship. It has to justify his talent, otherwise what is the point?

Unfortunately that's the nature of the highest level. He's not the first top driver/champion to be frozen out of the top seats and he won't be the last. It's a shame but what can ya do.