Photo

Goodwood Members' Meeting 2020

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,119 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 22:18

As many here will know, the dates have been announced for April 4 and 5. We plan to attend as we have for all but the first ( current era) Meeting.

In reading through some of the promotional and information material I had the sense that the event seems to be growing.....in the same way that Revival has, and which has caused a good number of us to patronize MM instead of Revival. It would truly be a shame if MM loses what little atmosphere of intimacy and casual enjoyment remains, in favor of a more, um, "inclusive" and "diverse" experience in terms of the interests catered for. And it does feel like more tickets to MM have been made available recently than in the earlier years. Aside from The Year of the Blizzard it seems to be more crowded every year. Still, we're very much looking forward to it. Next year will be our 12th. event at Goodwood.

Advertisement

#2 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 482 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 22:31

We shall be there too: might spend less time around the paddock and more over by St Marys. Better crowd over there anyway.

#3 john aston

john aston

• 1,704 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:04

Yeah . there's up to a dozen people there some times ...I love it it round the back of the circuit which seems reassuringly free of the preening fancy dress brigade(most of whom. I suspect , never venture beyond chicane / Madgwick /paddock )  . Great views - and sounds - and always interesting people to talk to as well .

#4 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,119 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 15:07

Yeah . there's up to a dozen people there some times ...I love it it round the back of the circuit which seems reassuringly free of the preening fancy dress brigade(most of whom. I suspect , never venture beyond chicane / Madgwick /paddock )  . Great views - and sounds - and always interesting people to talk to as well .

Ok, I admit to being a denizen of Madgwick. Next time I'll trudge out to St. Mary's. Shall I look for you?:wave::)

#5 BRG

BRG

• 16,792 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:37

....which seems reassuringly free of the preening fancy dress brigade...

Do they do dressing up at the MM?  No wonder they won't let in the likes of me.

#6 john aston

john aston

• 1,704 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 16:47

Some do . My fancy dress is an  impersonation of  an ageing  flaneur with no dress sense,  and an especial  stranger to crimson cords and Dubarry boots . :confused:

#7 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 482 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 19:48

Do they do dressing up at the MM?  No wonder they won't let in the likes of me.

Shouldn't be really but the busier bits often look like the reunion a nineteenth century grouse-shooting party. I did wear a cravat one year, just as a gentle piddle-take but I think the only person who got the joke was me. Even my wife said I looked like an idiot (not for the first or last time).