Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

WOW! Alexander Albon has been promoted to Red Bull Racing to drive alongside Max [edited]

• Please log in to reply
647 replies to this topic

#551 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 14:42

Max 2.0? Did he grow a beard too?

Advertisement

#552 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,046 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 15:20

That is nonsense, they delivered Sainz, Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo with success.
DK should still make it in the F1. This is his 3rd or 4th chance in F1, so don't say that RB isn't loyal.

I'd point out the most recent of those to make it to F1 was Sainz in 2015. Since then the only driver they've promoted is Gasley, and we all know how thats gone. The other drivers they've hired in that time have all been ex Red Bull drivers that have perfected their craft outside the Red Bull programe with no drivers at sub F1 levels anywhere near being promoted. The nearest was Dan Ticktum, but since about this time last year his performances have dropped off to the point he has now been released all together, next along are Juri Vipps and Pato O'Ward, neither of which will be ready for F1 before 2021 IMO.

This does bring up serious questions about the strength of the Red Bull driver programe, and whether the sink-or-swim mentality that Marko rules it with is laking in actual support for young drivers beyond pay cheques to the teams that run thim. Worse, this mentality seems to pervaide all the way up to Red Bull Racing as we keep seeing young drivers thrown in at the deep end before most people think they're ready and so far Kvyatt and Gasly have failed as a result, I just hope Albon is capable of buckign the trend.

#553 sopa

sopa

• 11,958 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 16:00

Max 2.0? Did he grow a beard too?

2.0 is becoming yesterday's news already.

It's time to upgrade to 3.0. Wonder, what that entails.

#554 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,736 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 16:07

damned if you do, damned if you don't
Half this forum is saying RB should hire drivers from outside the RB program, the other half is reminding everyone which drivers aren't RB products

I think you're missing the point. Max wasn't in F1 before he joined RB, so they can pretend that he's a product of their great driver program. It seems to be all about saving face at this point.

I'm pretty sure it's Marko's influence, he's supposed to be finding great new talents, what's he done recently?

And if Albon turns out to be that great talent, I'm going to ask why they dropped him previously.

The Red Bull driver program has a massive advantage over Merc, Ferrari and McLaren, because they have that B team to allow young drivers to gain experience without too much pressure. An advantage if they use it wisely, but at the moment it seems more like a millstone around their neck.

#555 JBJ

JBJ

• 133 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 16:41

Max wasn't in F1 before he joined RB, so they can pretend that he's a product of their great driver program. 

Guess you mean they can't, in that case my response would be, they don't
I really don't understand all the bitch*ng, are there better programs?
Renault ?  nothing
Merc ?  Russell, everyone else > no seat
Ferrari ? non-existent 

Lot of drivers from RB wouldn't have made it into F1 in the first place
The ones that are kicked out are mostly driving in other series thanks to their experience, there is more racing other than F1

#556 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,736 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 16:49

Guess you mean they can't, in that case my response would be, they don't
I really don't understand all the bitch*ng, are there better programs?
Renault ?  nothing
Merc ?  Russell, everyone else > no seat
Ferrari ? non-existent 

Lot of drivers from RB wouldn't have made it into F1 in the first place
The ones that are kicked out are mostly driving in other series thanks to their experience, there is more racing other than F1

It looks like I need to repeat myself:

'The Red Bull driver program has a massive advantage over Merc, Ferrari and McLaren, because they have that B team to allow young drivers to gain experience without too much pressure.'

The same applies to Renault, obviously.

#557 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:02

Gasly just seems to go well around Silverstone looking at his records.

Verstappen wasn't a RB product.

He wasn't from anyone else either. It's RBR that had him debuted and was after him for 5 years. So, what is your goal with this claim? His only F1 team associated with prior F1 was RBR, so, how would you not call that a RBR junior driver program product? The time he was "junior" isn't a criterium, is it?

#558 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:04

Verstappen was taken from the Ferrari academy and talks with Mercedes. Only reason he signed was that they offered a drive with STR, no ifs or buts. He drove with Red Bull logo on his F3 car after that, but can't be considered a Red Bull driver. Sainz, long on the program, 4 years more singleseater experience, all that support and tuition from RB, got owned to the point of it getting ugly even at engineering level. Sainz and Verstappen have been fine with other team mates since. Verstappen was even fine with beast RIC. Sainz is even fine with Max 2.0, Norris.

Pure nonsens.

#559 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:06

If Max is a Red Bull junior program product, then Russell is a Williams junior program product. Both didnt founded a single season of them and they only became related to the team by being signed as a F1 driver. Any claim of Max being from the Red Bull program is for the sake of marketing. He was independent, we could call it the Jos program.

Edited by Marklar, 14 August 2019 - 17:08.

Advertisement

#560 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:14

I think you're missing the point. Max wasn't in F1 before he joined RB, so they can pretend that he's a product of their great driver program. It seems to be all about saving face at this point.

I'm pretty sure it's Marko's influence, he's supposed to be finding great new talents, what's he done recently?

And if Albon turns out to be that great talent, I'm going to ask why they dropped him previously.

The Red Bull driver program has a massive advantage over Merc, Ferrari and McLaren, because they have that B team to allow young drivers to gain experience without too much pressure. An advantage if they use it wisely, but at the moment it seems more like a millstone around their neck.

He was part of their program, and theirs only. It's not you who determined how long that counts. If they didn't promote Max next year but like other teams 2 or 3 years later, it still wasn't a RBR junior driver? Only because fast promotion you dismiss it? It doesn't work that way.

Why? Some need that for motivation. Like Kvyat said he needed. He even called Marko to take him back in the STR.

It's not a millstone around their neck what so ever. Last move is more a "slap" against Mercedes as extra + then a "millstone". They have one driver in the garage and one in worst team. What is more damming for careers and "frustration/millstone around their neck" team owner you think? They even can't promote Russel because 2 or 3 contract and other one is big ?mark.

#561 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:21

If Max is a Red Bull junior program product, then Russell is a Williams junior program product. Both didnt founded a single season of them and they only became related to the team by being signed as a F1 driver. Any claim of Max being from the Red Bull program is for the sake of marketing. He was independent, we could call it the Jos program.

Why? How long had he to be "connected" before F1 before calling it a driver of them? And Russel is not comparison because is is openly a Mercedes Junior. The only F1 team Max is prior contracted towards is RBR. Like asked prior, if they promoted Max year later he would be a junior of them? So, earlier contracting wouldn't be the criterium, just later promoting to get that "label"? 

Jos did his education, and Marko has been for years in constant communication with Jos and Max about his future. It's very strange to blame Marko/RBR that Max wasn't a junior of them while he has invested years in getting him and got him as first F1 team (With all the backless with it, critics where not mild, like always when it counts Marko). It's not like he refused Max multiple times and then got him from Ferrari or Mercedes.

If Mercedes had let him debut for sure Mercedes would call him a Mercedes junior brought driver.

#562 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:23

He was part of their program, and theirs only. It's not you who determined how long that counts. If they didn't promote Max next year but like other teams 2 or 3 years later, it still wasn't a RBR junior driver? Only because fast promotion you dismiss it? It doesn't work that way.

LOL

Max didnt signed to join the young driver program and then happened to be promoted quick. He directly signed with Toro Rosso and then he was running with RB livery from then on. It's like idk Josef Newgarden joining Renault next year and then call him a Renault young driver only because he made his debut with them!

#563 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:31

LOL

Max didnt signed to join the young driver program and then happened to be promoted quick. He directly signed with Toro Rosso and then he was running with RB livery from then on. It's like idk Josef Newgarden joining Renault next year and then call him a Renault young driver only because he made his debut with them!

That are non comparisons imo. A 16 year old driver without any team connection against a 28 year old multi champion.

Nice you just not respond on my "when then" question. How is it to blame Marko/RBR that Max could stay independent and have his negotiation power because of that? Like said, Max could have joint for years and years. What more could Marko have done?

O wait, let him as first debut. But, even then he doesn't get credit and it's "it's not a RBR product" 

He was 16 when signed. That's a junior in my age definition.

#564 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,282 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:35

That are non comparisons imo. A 16 year old driver without any team connection against a 28 year old multi champion.

Nice you just not respond on my "when then" question. How is it to blame Marko/RBR that Max could stay independent and have his negotiation power because of that? Like said, Max could have joint for years and years. What more could Marko have done?

O wait, let him as first debut. But, even then he doesn't get credit and it's "it's not a RBR product" 

He was 16 when signed. That's a junior in my age definition.

Yes, they gave a chance to junior. But they don't have the merit in developing him until that point. He was not an unknown quantity. They get the merit of seeing the qualities he had.

#565 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:50

Yes, they gave a chance to junior. But they don't have the merit in developing him until that point. He was not an unknown quantity. They get the merit of seeing the qualities he had.

Indeed, it's like the signing of any other external driver. He just happens to be young. However, there is a big difference between giving a young driver a chance to debut and actually contributing to his path to F1. In the latter Red Bull had zero to do with it. And that's a very essential part of a young driver program.

To be fair most teams are half-arsing it by picking drivers up when they already are solid F3 drivers instead of the karting days where the support is needed the most. So not only Red Bull is "guilty" of this, but Max is the clearest case of them all, since he wasnt even in a young driver program before getting a F1 seat!

#566 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 17:54

Indeed, it's like the signing of any other external driver. He just happens to be young. However, there is a big difference between giving a young driver a chance to debut and actually contributing to his path to F1. In the latter Red Bull had zero to do with it. And that's a very essential part of a young driver program.

To be fair most teams are half-arsing it by picking drivers up when they already are solid F3 drivers instead of the karting days where the support is needed the most. So not only Red Bull is "guilty" of this, but Max is the clearest case of them all, since he wasnt even in a young driver program before getting a F1 seat!

But, you claim in his STR year's he wasn't a RBR junior driver program driver also? I think THAT'S the essential part of a young driver program.

And, your last sentence "guilty of it" They wanted to pay for it, for his whole pre-f1 career, Verstappen's just choose otherwise. No guilt in it imo.

#567 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,430 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 18:07

He wasn't from anyone else either. It's RBR that had him debuted and was after him for 5 years. So, what is your goal with this claim? His only F1 team associated with prior F1 was RBR, so, how would you not call that a RBR junior driver program product? The time he was "junior" isn't a criterium, is it?

He was signed to drive for TR, and after that he, obviously used RB-branding.

However, he wasn't part of Red Bull until he got signed to race for TR in F1.

That's an external signing of a driver to race in F1, not an internal junior programme promotion.

#568 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 18:18

That's an external signing of a driver to race in F1, not an internal junior programme promotion.

But what logic is that, not any driver is linked towards a (junior) program BEFORE signing their first contract. STR IS part of their junior drivers education program. 

#569 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,247 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 19:27

What proof do you have of this?

Furthermore, Max has been fast since day 1 in TR so engineers didn't really seem to matter.

https://f1i.com/news...to-deliver.html

Marko says Max has the more experienced engineering team. They helped Gasly out in Silverstone, where he did better, but he went backwards since then.
Max is great, but he has all the team focused on him for sure. Gasly was absolutely and justifiably the second priority.

#570 JBJ

JBJ

• 133 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 20:07

max-verstappen-in-actie-in-imola.jpg

#571 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 598 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 20:23

This picture is after he'd signed to drive for Toro Rosso the next season. 

#572 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,101 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 20:28

I think it’s entirely fair to consider Max as part of the Red Bull programme as they brought him into F1, even if he was picked up later than most. Later is a relative term, as his whole pre-F1 career was extremely fast.

He’s not like David Coulthard and Mark Webber, who are the only genuine external signings the team has ever made under Red Bull ownership.

#573 A3

A3

• 28,988 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 20:30

This picture is after he'd signed to drive for Toro Rosso the next season.

:p

i0Ty9Uf.png

Edit:
August 12th, 2014:

"We are very pleased to announce that Max Verstappen has accepted our invitation to join the Red Bull Junior Team. This is effective immediately and the 16-year-old Dutchman will continue his FIA Formula 3 European Championship campaign at the Nürburgring this weekend as a Red Bull Junior in the Van Amersfoort Racing team and additionally will compete at the Macau Grand Prix in November."

“It goes without saying that I’m very happy and I feel honoured to be part of the Red Bull Junior Team, which has successfully brought and guided many drivers into Formula 1”, explains Max. “I will take this opportunity with both hands in order to develop and maximize my career with Red Bull. I want to thank Dr. Helmut Marko for his involvement in making this partnership possible and I want to thank Red Bull for putting their trust in me.”

Red Bull Junior Max resumes: “The Red Bull Junior Team will give me the opportunity to extensively test in higher single seater categories such as the Formula Renault 3.5 Series. Today, I’ve absolved my first FR3.5 test at the Red Bull Ring. The outing, together with the experience and knowledge offered by Red Bull, will help us make a well thought through decision regarding my racing future.”

Edited by A3, 14 August 2019 - 20:34.

#574 Erwin123

Erwin123

• 368 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 20:35

is that real  :eek:

#575 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,945 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 21:00

Verstappen signed Red Bull into team Jos and Max, not the other way around. They knew he would be a future 10 times champion.

#576 Widefoot2

Widefoot2

• 413 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 21:32

Verstappen signed Red Bull into team Jos and Max, not the other way around. They knew he would be a future 10 times champion.

Umm, maybe.  But with Red Bull?  Unless Honda really gets things together I can see him bolting for MB.

Edited by Widefoot2, 14 August 2019 - 21:33.

#577 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,800 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 23:21

Tell me you are joking! :eek:..They know that how exactly?Using what precedence?

#578 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,369 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 23:50

Thought this thread was about Alex joining RB, not about how wonderful Max is??? I stand corrected. :rotfl:

#579 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,430 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 23:54

But what logic is that, not any driver is linked towards a (junior) program BEFORE signing their first contract. STR IS part of their junior drivers education program.

Junior teams is for me, and the vast majority I guess, pre-top flight series.
Just like if Ferrari signs a random 18 yo in August, puts him in HAAS, let him do one year there, then move him to Ferrari, said driver wouldn't be a product of the Ferrari driver academy.

Advertisement

#580 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,430 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 23:58

:p

Edit:
August 12th, 2014:

6 days before he was announced as a TR driver, which in turn was made in the build up to the Belgian GP. I see connections there.

#581 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:21

6 days before he was announced as a TR driver, which in turn was made in the build up to the Belgian GP. I see connections there.

And STR is part of their junior program, right?

#582 Reddington

Reddington

• 515 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:00

And STR is part of their junior program, right?

Oh please...

None of the F1 teams can be seen as that. Not even STR. Sure, it’s a step down from the main team, and sure, of course they place their junior drivers there first, but an F1 team is an F1 team.
It’s a midfield F1 team. Plain and simple. They are currently 5th in the WCC, with a factory team and 4 other teams behind them.

Merc placed a junior driver at Williams. Ferrari at Alfa. Does that also make them junior teams? No of course not. They are just teams where new drivers can develop without top team pressure, but F1 is F1, no matter which team you are in. The junior days are over when in F1.

Edited by Reddington, 15 August 2019 - 07:04.

#583 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,344 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:07

Haha, here we go again!

Smoke. Fire. Jos ;)

#584 JBJ

JBJ

• 133 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:16

Oh please...

None of the F1 teams can be seen as that. Not even STR. Sure, it’s a step down from the main team, and sure, of course they place their junior drivers there first, but an F1 team is an F1 team.
It’s a midfield F1 team. Plain and simple. They are currently 5th in the WCC, with a factory team and 4 other teams behind them.

Merc placed a junior driver at Williams. Ferrari at Alfa. Does that also make them junior teams? No of course not. They are just teams where new drivers can develop without top team pressure, but F1 is F1, no matter which team you are in. The junior days are over when in F1.

That's all well and good, but in the end
it was Marko who had enough faith in him to give him a racing seat
Merc didn't, Renault and Ferrari were nowhere to be seen

#585 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,310 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:20

Since we haven't seen any new arguments on either side for the last couple of pages, let's move on from whether Max was or was not a Red Bull product, or move it to the appropriate thread. E.g. https://forums.autos...rrari-red-bull/

#586 Jbleroi

Jbleroi

• 906 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:47

potayto potahto... 

Edited by Jbleroi, 15 August 2019 - 07:48.

#587 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 995 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:28

[...]STR IS part of their junior drivers education program. 

If one arrives at STR he arrived at F1. Age doesn't count. STR is the LAST step OUT of a Junior program and IN to F1.

A Junior program has nothing to do with age, but with identifying promising drivers in LOWER series than F1 or even Kart, and helping them growing until they are ripe for F1, and of course tying them to the team contractually as early as possible.

Of course, in these days, all the candidates are young. It's not like the time when Clay Regazzoni joined F1 with 30.

Edit: Sorry jbc3, oversaw your post somehow.. 

Edited by FirstWatt, 15 August 2019 - 08:31.

#588 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 19,447 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:15

Somebody on Reddit posted a far-fetched but fun idea about the butterfly effect of Mick Schumacher's F3 resurgence, Dan Ticktum's fall from grace and how it eventually led to Albon's promotion.

Makes you wonder what could've happened if McLaren "loaned" Norris to Toro Rosso last year - as was reported - and how different Silly Season 2019 may have looked and also where Norris might be sitting now!

#589 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,912 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:14

Me and my layman brain thinks that Max will trash Albon also.

Max is heading for World championship not only because his talent, his car and the team.

He has got mentality, experiences and wiseness, brutality and so on...

Can't expect any of other young talent to have the same potential.

Only a wise fox will be able to put him in a corner...

Edited by kumo7, 16 August 2019 - 07:16.

#590 RA2

RA2

• 1,162 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:29

gasly-tractor.jpg

#591 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 178 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:54

With RB young driver dropouts doing so well in racing and even later in F1 with RBR/STR, where to look for new recruits? Beitske Visser is getting headlines for attractive racinng. That final race overtake on series champion Chadwick was quite something.
I'm not saying she has the speed necessarily, but it would suit RB's media presence to get her closer to an STR drive. One up Williams with Chadwick and before her Wolff. Imagine the impact on young girls' ambitions if they showed up to the Zandvoort FP1.

#592 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:25

With RB young driver dropouts doing so well in racing and even later in F1 with RBR/STR, where to look for new recruits? Beitske Visser is getting headlines for attractive racinng. That final race overtake on series champion Chadwick was quite something.
I'm not saying she has the speed necessarily, but it would suit RB's media presence to get her closer to an STR drive. One up Williams with Chadwick and before her Wolff. Imagine the impact on young girls' ambitions if they showed up to the Zandvoort FP1.

Visser was a rear gunner in WSR, even with a crippled field after it lost most of its SL points to favor GP2. Please let women enter on merit and not via the PC brigade.

#593 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 178 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:11

Visser was a rear gunner in WSR, even with a crippled field after it lost most of its SL points to favor GP2. Please let women enter on merit and not via the PC brigade.

I fully agree on the merit part. 
Something I've not seen discussed yet, although I may have missed it, is that women might develop differently as drivers. What if tehir peak level is similar but it can't manifest at typical ages for feeder series? 
Visser being re-assessed by RB might be interesting. For them and herself to see whether she's closer to top F1 drivers (or boys like Tictum for that matter) now compared to then. 

#594 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,300 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:16

Right, I've been really quite impressed with Albon this season as I have with Norris and Russel too, however I just can't help but worry this is far far too early a promotion and it is ging to all go very wrong. I really do think he has the speed and talent to have a long and successful F1 career but I don't see why they wouldn't give the seat to Kvyat? He has experience and seems to have learned a lot in his time away, let Albon mature and learn the ropes in the midfield before stepping him up. It went wrong for Gasly and it is going to go wrong for Albon imo.

#595 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 178 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:24

Right, I've been really quite impressed with Albon this season as I have with Norris and Russel too, however I just can't help but worry this is far far too early a promotion and it is ging to all go very wrong. I really do think he has the speed and talent to have a long and successful F1 career but I don't see why they wouldn't give the seat to Kvyat? He has experience and seems to have learned a lot in his time away, let Albon mature and learn the ropes in the midfield before stepping him up. It went wrong for Gasly and it is going to go wrong for Albon imo.

Seems to be about cross-comparing all drivers. They know Kvyat when he's on decent form. He's been tested well against RIC. Gasly didn't like the RBR car so difficult to gauge. Just shows he's not so adaptable, but this can be compared to Albon at least. Once Gasly picks himself up, he can compare himself to reborn Kvyat. It's fair to expect him to get the upper hand at STR before the end of the year to get his RBR seat back for 2020. If Albon gets really close to Max though, it may not matter until Max leaves the team for even greener pastures. 
Don't be too surprised to see Kvyat in the RBR this year of also Albon struggles to get to grips with the car. They are not really in the running for the constructors championship and 3rd is a given. 2nd only a small bonus. The second driver is unlikely to add wins for the package as it seems Max is simply outperforming it.

#596 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 13:46

They know/will know with a lot of cross references

RB

Kvyat/Verstappen in 2016

Gasly/Verstappen

Albon/Verstappen

Gasly/Albon

TR

Kvyat/Verstappen in 2016 

Kvyat/Gasly
Kvyat/Albon
Gasly/Albon

#597 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,373 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 14:07

Thought this thread was about Alex joining RB, not about how wonderful Max is??? I stand corrected. :rotfl:

I think that Alex being offered the chance to jump up to the A team is a risk. Obviously he is going to leap at the chance, but it is possible that it could be the undoing of his top tier motorsport career. They have demonstrated time and time again that they are willing to be ruthless if the results do not appear, pretty sharpish. Firstly he has to earn his place for next year, which is probably the easiest part, but I think that it is next year that will make or break his career. If he underperforms next season then he could get dropped mid season, and that is pretty much the kiss of death for his F1 career. 

#598 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,373 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 14:46

Somebody on Reddit posted a far-fetched but fun idea about the butterfly effect of Mick Schumacher's F3 resurgence, Dan Ticktum's fall from grace and how it eventually led to Albon's promotion.

Makes you wonder what could've happened if McLaren "loaned" Norris to Toro Rosso last year - as was reported - and how different Silly Season 2019 may have looked and also where Norris might be sitting now!

Nice to see that I am not alone in my opinion of Dan.

#599 Prelude

Prelude

• 269 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 14:47

Good move by RB. I would've done it after Austria. They were very patient.

And unlike others here, I think it unlikely that Gasly will beat Kvyat and that Albon will have the same fate as these two. He seems more mature/calm/confident.

Advertisement

#600 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,912 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:18

Good move by RB. I would've done it after Austria. They were very patient.

And unlike others here, I think it unlikely that Gasly will beat Kvyat and that Albon will have the same fate as these two. He seems more mature/calm/confident.

Interesting idea, tho seems not grounded well, standing as unstable ground as my opinion...

I can only say that Max is beating the likes of Seb, Ham or whoever are the top drivers.

None from a younger generation will match his performance however good RedBull young driver scheme would be.

If Red Bull were to give Max a run for his money, red Bull racing needs someone of his calibre not a lower,... however high I rate Albon... He is a interesting driver indeed...