Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

WOW! Alexander Albon has been promoted to Red Bull Racing to drive alongside Max [edited]

• Please log in to reply
647 replies to this topic

#101 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,430 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:15

Well at least discussion "Will Kvyat replace Gassly at Red Bull in 2020?" is settled now. Interesting choice by Red Bull. 

Uhm, no? Or, maybe, because he won't straight up replace Gasly, but Kvyat to Red Bull in 2020 is still an option.

Advertisement

#102 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:16

Silly decision really. I hope Kvyat does not loose his new found confidence after being ignored by the big team again. They could now have 2 drivers lacking confidence in the B team.

If so, then he mentally just isn't strong enough. But i keep advocating against the assumed certainty Kvyat was a option in first place.

It can be that even a Kvyat call towards Marko "I don't need new contract, have got one from Haas, thanks for all support and good luck in future" has forced Marko/RBR to make a "evaluation planning" adjustment. 

And lots of other options.

And, again, if Marko/RBR program was that bad, unjustified, un-human, etc., why would Kvyat himself contact Marko after Ricciardo/Renault news came out?

#103 sopa

sopa

• 11,958 posts

Will be funny if Gasly now mixes it with Albon during races all over again.  That will be very confusing

It would confirm that Red Bull car is about level with Toro Rosso. It's just Max making all the difference.  :p

#104 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 13 posts

What should they have done differently with Sainz? Promoted him over Max?

Look at Sainz now - and recap the time with Verstappen. He was never too far away from the "Wunderkind". But maybe the new Mclaren is a better place to be than the hell of Redbull.

#105 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 19,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:17

They will never learn, will they...

On a human-level, it's all very harsh and sad...

But on a sporting-level? There's not too much RB have got wrong within their pool of drivers.

The only low point was the arguable mismanagement of Kvyat, whose whole career in F1 was massively accelerated, to his detriment. But he has never really shown the speed (apart from moments in 2014) for a top-level drive.

Perhaps losing Ricciardo/Sainz/da Costa, etc. but in grand scheme of things, that's just silly season, isn't it?

I don't think it's as complicated as some are making out. "Red Bull have all the data" - Yes, so do we! Gasly slow. Rookie Albon quicker than Kvyat. Done :clap:

The drama is great for F1, you hate to see it! :rotfl:

Edited by TomNokoe, 12 August 2019 - 11:23.

#106 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:18

One thing that could be promising is that Albon didnt drove a F1 car until february but adapted very quickly to it. He also might have a stronger mental situation since the guy is living the dream rn: Until a few months ago nobody even considered him to ever get a F1 seat (to some extent the same also applies to Kvyat rn though).

#107 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,469 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:18

First I read a million page topic 'when will they replace Gasly' and now I'm only reading what ruthless scumbags RB are.

Make up your mind guys! :)

#108 grunf77

grunf77

• 240 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:19

aaaah Kvyat... I still believe he deserves another chance. 

My bet is he'll be in that RB seat in 2020.

#109 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,259 posts

Hungary was the straw that broke the camels back it seems.

When they see max woop the ferraris and realise they will still unlikely get second in the constructors.

Be interesting to see how competitive rb will be at SPA

#110 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,216 posts

I'm guessing they want to test Albon before looking outside for a replacement for next year.

#111 Coral

Coral

• 4,054 posts

WOW just saw this on Twitter! What on earth...!!! :eek:

Congrats to Albon...very sad for Kvyat... :|

Gasly hasn't performed very well this season and being lapped in Hungary by his team-mate was pretty bad, but I didn't expect him to be sacked this early on.

The number of drivers rejected by Red Bull Racing continues to grow...maybe the FIA should start a separate series for them...the "Red Bull Racing Scrapheap Challenge." :p

#112 A3

A3

• 28,988 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:20

Look at Sainz now - and recap the time with Verstappen. He was never too far away from the "Wunderkind". But maybe the new Mclaren is a better place to be than the hell of Redbull.

Drivers that deal with Red Bull and Marko know what to expect. And if they don't, they need to wake up and smell the roses.

I don't understand the negativity towards Red Bull. Without Red Bull, many of them wouldn't even have reached F1.

I was asking what they should have done with Sainz. RedBull had Max and Daniel, who are both better than him, IMO.

#113 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,101 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:21

I’d have put money on George Russell being the first of the 3 rookies this year to step into a top car, due to his Mercedes connections. I guess I underestimated how capricious Red Bull are.

#114 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 13 posts

I'm guessing they want to test Albon before looking outside for a replacement for next year.

That could be - but it includes the possible killing of Albons career. And that would be sad because he recieved no real chance. It was just a test then.

#115 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,400 posts

Massive, MASSIVE chance for Albon, and MASSIVE pressure to do enough in just a few races - but if he pulls it off...!

Either way, one of the most amazing rises from virtual obscurity (when he was just a solid runner in F2 without much backing, and not really talked about in terms of ANY F1 seat) in mid-2018 to racing in a WINNING F1 car in mid-2019!  :eek:

GOOD LUCK, ALEX!  :kiss:

I bet Kvyat is feeling a bit deflated right now, too.  Every time he scores a podium, he gets a kick in the nuts just a couple weeks later!  :lol:

#116 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 726 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:22

Are RB really that afraid of losing Max? If they wanted someone to help Max they'd surely go for Kvyat because he has the experience. They could kill both Gasly's and Albon's careers with one move. 

To me it looks like they are in a hurry to find the new Max.

#117 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,844 posts

What do Red Bull have to lose?

Nothing... give it a go.

Jp

#118 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 379 posts

Wow, indeed.

They have all the data. And picked Alex over Daniil.

I was expecting Kvyat as safe pair of hands, but Albon with 12 race experience, wow!

I am glad though, good luck Alex.

Doctor's big balls!

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 12 August 2019 - 11:24.

#119 A3

A3

• 28,988 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:23

One thing that could be promising is that Albon didnt drove a F1 car until february but adapted very quickly to it. He also might have a stronger mental situation since the guy is living the dream rn: Until a few months ago nobody even considered him to ever get a F1 seat (to some extent the same also applies to Kvyat rn though).

Yeah good point. He seems to be very strong mentally.
He never drove an F1 car in the wet and look how he did in Germany, finishing 6th.

Advertisement

#120 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,867 posts

Good move, as Albon seems very talented and has lots of potential.

But... To me it´s clear that RedBull has an clear #1 driver policy in Max and they want to promote him as the best driver

in F1 at the moment. 

There´s no way Albon is going to come close to him

#121 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,172 posts

Makes the Vettel to Red Bull rumours less likely for next year. 

#122 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 1,935 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:24

How? People are acting all suprised here but Gasly was unearthly slow. He had a race winning car to his disposal yet he was fighting McLarens, Renaults and Toro Rossos. He should be up there helping Max bag wins and podiums but he was actually hurting Red Bull. Any self respecting team would've already sacked him by now. This isn't a charity programme.

Not tryint to defend Gasly here, but he was just starting to get his act together and get 4th places and much closer to Max. and doing better overall, then Marko evil strikes again :D
Those guys maybe think drivers are machines that have to perform perfect from minute 1

Edited by NixxxoN, 12 August 2019 - 11:24.

#123 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 962 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:25

How people are bagging Red Bull here is beyond me. F1 isn't a charity programme. If you want to drive one of the best racing cars in the world you either perform, or you're out. There was no excuse for Gasly's abysmal performances. He was costing RB big bucks. Any self-respecting team would've sacked him imo. 

Edited by Thatfastguy, 12 August 2019 - 11:26.

#124 zaviali

zaviali

• 124 posts

Wow that is some news but why not Kvyat? Can someone shed light on it. Ofcourse its great news for Albon and best of luck for the lad but wouldn't this trigger mental breakdown for Kvyat as happened the last time when Max was promoted and Kvyat was booted from the main team. Anyway, I suppose Redbull must have their rational for this but some news I must say during the mid season break.

#125 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,864 posts

On a human-level, it's all very harsh and sad...

But on a sporting-level? There's not too much RB have got wrong within their pool of drivers.

Not even that (imo.), that would be if he lost seat at once complete.

He still is one of the 20, and there are easy 50 that would like to be in that spot.

It is nothing difference as a cyclist who is not selected for the tour team or a football player who is placed on the reserve bench. And those get (justified, part of the game imo.) far, far less compassion.

#126 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:27

How? People are acting all suprised here but Gasly was unearthly slow. He had a race winning car to his disposal yet he was fighting McLarens, Renaults and Toro Rossos. He should be up there helping Max bag wins and podiums but he was actually hurting Red Bull. Any self respecting team would've already sacked him by now. This isn't a charity programme. 

I was thinking more about Kvyat and all the other drivers they have dropped before they had a chance, a fair few who have gone on to do very well elsewhere. It's been consistantly brutal for over a decade. It really is about more than just about Gasly.

If the program was more effective and less trigger happy, perhaps they would never have had Gasley in the car to begin with - maybe it would have been one of the other talants they've shoved to the side merely for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've been here before though. I've said that the RB driver program is needlessly brutal, ties itself in knots and has actually let great talent slip through the net.

Other people have told me it's fine the way it is, F1 is brutal anyways and I should get over it. And fine, it's as valid an opinon as mine. I just disagree.

Edited by Vielleicht, 12 August 2019 - 11:30.

#127 jwill189

jwill189

• 1,512 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:28

Kyvat is Red Bull's best driver after Verstappen, but Red Bull has too much of an ego problem and will promote another scrub.

#128 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,695 posts

What amazes me is after all these years they still find new ways to surprise us. We suspected this was coming for a long time, but didn't expect this timing neither for this guy to be the replacement driver.

Red Bull, arbitrarily ****ing with young drivers' careers since 2005. Good luck to Albon, he's a good guy but he's gonna need it.

#129 sopa

sopa

• 11,958 posts

Current point standings

Gasly   63
Albon   16

Ok, folks. Place your bets. Can Albon catch Gasly by the end of the season? He has fewer races to accumulate points in RBR than Gasly had though.

#130 Anja

Anja

• 3,988 posts

Not tryint to defend Gasly here, but he was just starting to get his act together and get 4th places and much closer to Max. and doing better overall, then Marko evil strikes again :D
Those guys maybe think drivers are machines that have to perform perfect from minute 1

That was pretty much only Silverstone. Hockenheim and Hungaroring were back to fighting the midfield. 

#131 basimi

basimi

• 145 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:29

Make or break. But on the other hand. You only have to get those P6’s and you already doing a better job than Gasly did.

#132 Lights

Lights

• 16,279 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:30

Not sure what to make of the 'Poor Kvyat' comments. 

The fact that he hasn't convincingly beaten Albon (IMO not beaten at all) despite having an extra 4 years of F1 experience made that decision easy enough.

#133 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 1,935 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:31

I don't understand the negativity towards Red Bull. Without Red Bull, many of them wouldn't even have reached F1.

The answer of this is a mix of "not true" and "who cares"
With or without Red Bull in F1, some other team would be in their place and the most talented drivers usually find their way to F1 anyway, and if its not strictly them, other similarly talented drivers could've been in their place, so...
Huge talents like Max would be noticed and promoted to F1 regardless.

#134 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 13 posts

Drivers that deal with Red Bull and Marko know what to expect. And if they don't, they need to wake up and smell the roses.

I was asking what they should have done with Sainz. RedBull had Max and Daniel, who are both better than him, IMO.

Look at all the drivers who tried their hands on Red Bull: Liuzzi, Speed, Bourdais, Buemi, Alguersuari, Gasly... the environment counts and in this case Red Bull is just one step away from hell for all the young drivers. They are extremly lucky to find someone like Max but there is no warranty to keep him. No others than Max, Ricciardo deliviered their "standards". And Vettel was no Red Bull junior - they snatched him from BMW. Not a good quote imo. 

Edited by Lerdes, 12 August 2019 - 11:32.

#135 sopa

sopa

• 11,958 posts

The fact that he hasn't convincingly beaten Albon (IMO not beaten at all) despite having an extra 4 years of F1 experience made that decision easy enough.

It's the same situation we had in 2014. Vergne had more points than Kvyat, partly due to luck, but Vergne was also much more experienced. In the end Kvyat was promoted.

#136 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 379 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:32

RBR knows Gasly does not cut it, and if they were to loose Max in 2021, they need new star. It is better to see if Albon will swim now, then wait to 2020 and risk to wake up with another Gasly in the team and not much time to find new driver. 

If it breaks Alex's career, I do not think Doctor bothers much about it.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 12 August 2019 - 11:35.

#137 Giz

Giz

• 591 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:33

Wonder if Kvyat was asked and said mmmmmm no thanks

#138 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:34

It's the same situation we had in 2014. Vergne had more points than Kvyat, partly due to luck, but Vergne was also much more experienced. In the end Kvyat was promoted.

And Vergne now a double Formula E champion no less.

#139 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:34

Albon has been strong for a debut season - doing a great job against Kvyat, given his lack of experience.

Red Bull need their Bottas/Kimi/Daniel - it’s obvious Pierre simply can’t make the car work for him, but Alex seems bright, fast and apolitical - so, as long as he’s Comfortably clear of McLaren / Alfa - he’s already a far greater pawn for the RB team to have.

Pierre May have had a stronger Silverstone, but he was still getting caught by Max at the end of the race, who’s seat had come loose and was missing chunks of his rear end. Time to move on...

Good luck, Alex!

Advertisement

#140 greenman

greenman

• 1,259 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:35

Honestly, it's just stupid. It's his second full season. 12 races in a team that's centered around their golden boy (not saying it shouldn't be, but you know, it's true). There have been seriously talented racers that did about as bad or even worse in similar situations, and kept their job for longer. Not saying that Gasly is necessarily a world class talent, but to not even give him a full season... Does anyone think Albon will do any better? I wonder if they have anything else planned.

#141 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 19,447 posts

Kyvat is Red Bull's best driver after Verstappen, but Red Bull has too much of an ego problem and will promote another scrub.

Disagree.

Kvyat has been given chance after chance after chance.

Yes, he was mentally destroyed and probably carries some of that tension today, but you would think that through all of it, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 there would have been moments where he stood out.

Even now, reformed Kvyat V2.0 hasn't shown anything like the necessary speed to make the step-up. His podium in Germany was well-earned but also dreadfully lucky. He's just a solid midfield grand prix driver. That's it.

The only time I saw Kvyat with a sensational turn of speed was 2014.

Edited by TomNokoe, 12 August 2019 - 11:37.

#142 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 1,935 posts

That was pretty much only Silverstone. Hockenheim and Hungaroring were back to fighting the midfield.

Hungary I agree he sucked again, was stuch behind Sainz all race, but Germany qualified 4th and then it was a crazy wet race and had terrible luck.

#143 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,062 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:36

I would have put Alonso in the car for the rest of 2019 and give Alex time to prepare to join in 2020.  but I'm guessing Honda wouldn't approve.  lol

#144 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 692 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:36

Logical Albon just attracted some new sponsors. My choice would be Kvyat but who says Danill won't be alongside Max next season😃

#145 Piif

Piif

• 1,291 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:38

I'm laughing at all the "Red Bull is so good with their juniors" type of posts. They haven't learned _anything_ from how they treated Kvyat. Red Bull is a career suicide for almost every young driver nowadays it seems.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gasly does what Kvyat did, fail miserably at Toro Rosso after the demotion. This also means that Kvyat is done in the RB family.

Edited by Piif, 12 August 2019 - 11:38.

#146 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 379 posts

Current point standings

Gasly   63
Albon   16

Ok, folks. Place your bets. Can Albon catch Gasly by the end of the season? He has fewer races to accumulate points in RBR than Gasly had though.

Interesting question, do the thread with the Poll, I personally think Alex will catch up fairly quickly.

#147 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,539 posts

Disagree.

Kvyat has been given chance after chance after chance.

Yes, he was mentally destroyed and probably carries some of that tension today, but you would think that through all of it, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 there would have been moments where he stood out.

Even now, reformed Kvyat V2.0 hasn't shown anything like the necessary speed to make the step-up. His podium in Germany was well-earned but also dreadfully lucky. He's just a solid midfield grand prix driver. That's it.

The only time I saw Kvyat with a sensational turn of speed was 2014.

But but but... did you not listen to the podcast?!?!?!????

#148 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,861 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:39

Good move by Red Bull, Gasly clearly doesn't have the mental strength required to take on Verstappen.

Albon seems pretty unassuming, so who knows what he's capable of...

#149 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 3,396 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:41

They know, roughly how well Gasley performs in the red bull, Albon is more the unknown, this is done to evaluate his skills so it makes perfect sense to choose Albon.

Albon was always my pick for the RB seat, Kvyat had his chance, I don't see why they can't give someone else a shot, Albon has driven pretty well this season.

#150 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,024 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:42

Hungary was the straw that broke the camels back it seems.

When they see max woop the ferraris and realise they will still unlikely get second in the constructors.

Be interesting to see how competitive rb will be at SPA

I think Gasly not being there to prevent Hamilton's strategy was the real trigger, it was a big topic in the Netherlands.