Photo

Formula 1 best books

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 SolalMS

SolalMS

• 113 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 18:24

Your book with Stirling Moss is also on its way to my home :)

Advertisement

#52 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 448 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 19:11

And your considered opinion of the former is....  ?  ?  ?  ?    :cool:

DCN

For me it is a very useful book. Whatever book I buy now, I am sure it is not going to be the worst book in my collection

#53 blackmme

blackmme

• 743 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 20:27

For me it is a very useful book. Whatever book I buy now, I am sure it is not going to be the worst book in my collection

Don’t be hasty! Although it does have a very useful section on the high speed pronunciation of the names of Brazilian racing cars! :D

Regards Mike

#54 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 20:47

I've had a copy of the Piranha Club for 10 years. Was told it was really good. Haven't actually got round to it. Read the first 2 chapters and they were pretty good.

Also have the Newest book and the Brawn book. Not read either

Books aren't for me lol

#55 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,623 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:10

Well you, Jim, are just the kind of buyer publishers and authors adore...    :smoking:

DCN

#56 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,783 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 13:27

I've had a copy of the Piranha Club for 10 years. Was told it was really good. Haven't actually got round to it. Read the first 2 chapters and they were pretty good.

Also have the Newest book and the Brawn book. Not read either

Books aren't for me lol

That's interesting! I've been thinking about writing a book or two, but really can't find the time to do so. If there really is a market for unread books, maybe I don't need to actually write them... :smoking: :stoned: :D :blush:

#57 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,231 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 13:39

I think that was a short story (sounds Borgesesque) about a book that was so valuable to collectors that nobody dared to open it, as every time they lifted the cover, its value would drop.

And of course the book was blank.

#58 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,761 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 13:47

That's interesting! I've been thinking about writing a book or two, but really can't find the time to do so. If there really is a market for unread books, maybe I don't need to actually write them... :smoking: :stoned: :D :blush:

The same logic must apply to empty town-centre shops - hereabouts we have plenty of them but a developer is building another three :o

#59 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 13:13

I think that was a short story (sounds Borgesesque) about a book that was so valuable to collectors that nobody dared to open it, as every time they lifted the cover, its value would drop.

Whole blank novels have been published, in the Dada-esque tradition. They were praised by one critic I recall for: "opening up an infinite range of ineffable possibilities." But not much use to our opening poster.

Edited by Sterzo, 28 August 2019 - 13:13.

Advertisement

#60 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 102 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 13:32

Publishers will have to change the number of words that determine the author payment to make it worthwhile for top notch writers to continue with their trade with this new method of writing. Maybe on a per page payment basis would be best.

It opens up a few nuances too; how as an author do you decide how long the book has to be to make your point effectively. It addresses fake news pretty well tho.

Edited by Bikr7549, 28 August 2019 - 14:05.