Photo

F1 Safety, Long Beach 1982

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 525 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:02

I have just come across a reference that "after a spin in practice [at Long Beach in 1982], Niki Lauda's McLaren almost went under a recovery truck." After experiencing a flashback to Jules Bianchi's dreadful accident, I've gone back through all the usual reference sources and cannot see that any other contemporary reporters picked up on this in their accounts. Did any TNFers witness this incident?

Advertisement

#2 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 16:16

Something similar happened during the race as well, Lauda almost drove into the back of recovery vehicle, coming out of a blind corner. Pretty sure it's the same incident we're talking about, I'm certain you can see it in F1TV's highlights (probably 43min long ones as they're BBC's and I'm fairly sure I've seen this situation in BBC highlights).

Here it is: https://youtu.be/Sf0maldQZzw?t=3688

Edited by dweller23, 15 August 2019 - 16:26.

#3 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 525 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 16:44

Yep - I think that pretty much covers it! Scary stuff - looks like Niki wasn't the only one experiencing a near-miss!

Much appreciated.

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:36

Confirmed by Alan Henry in his race report in Motoring News:

Also on lap 26 Piquet’s Brabham had fallen foul of the rapidly deteriorating track surface, slamming into the wall in a crumpled heap. There followed a macabre pantomime of precarious dimensions as an imprudent breakdown vehicle not only blocked the track in its crew’s efforts to remove the stricken Brabham, but then proceeded to drive down the centre of the circuit in a display of mind-boggling bravura which seemed certain to end in disaster. Fortunately it didn’t, although Lauda was almost forced into the wall himself as he sought to avoid the wholly unexpected obstruction.

The heading for the MN race report was ‘Boomtown Rat!’  ;)

#5 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 525 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 18:56

Thanks Tim. I keep re-watching that bit of video and still cannot quite believe it! I wonder what the stewards at Indy would have said......