Photo

Lotus 72 documentary - finished

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 19:27

Lads, I can now officially announce that my Lotus 72 documentary is finished and is available to buy, all info is now here; www.lotus72dvd.com

The whole thing runs across 2 discs, we shot new interviews with Emerson Fittipaldi, Peter Warr, John Miles and a plethora of Team Lotus personnel.

The first disc contains the main documentary, the second houses LOTS of little 'extras' (over two hours worth) including things like John Miles explaining 'anti-dive' and 'anti-squat', Lotus truckie Vic McCarthy tells us about the two Lotus transporter accidents in 1972 (along with some of his personal photos), Beaky Sims and Herbie Blash tell us what they had to do to get the car through post-race scrutineering at the 1970 British Grand Prix plus Ronnie's best friend Dave Brodie gives us over 20 minutes of his memories of Ronnie and lots more. All of the library material, stills and movie film, is previously unseen, indeed, some of it eminates from members of this very forum!

The price is £19.99 plus postage, I will post worldwide.

Gold-Leaf-dvd-montage-small.jpg

JPS-dvd-montage-small.jpg

Edited by Gary C, 18 August 2019 - 19:28.

Advertisement

#2 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:31

This is a massive work Gary has compiled over 16 years with both discs supplied it runs to over 4 hours.

It contains interviews from key people there at the time with first hand accounts, material you will have never seen before and will never be done again. Insights in to the project from start to finish which span some 6 years with probably a Grand Prix car  that remained competitive  for longer than anything before or since. By any measure a remarkable  work.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 21:05

I ordered mine on Sunday afternoon, it arrived this morning in near bomb proof packaging....
I have not looked at it yet but last year I had the good fortune to be sent a couple of sampler mini dvds of the main event which were to be highly commended, so the contents of the full twin set augur well. I look forward to sitting back and enjoying it.
Usual disclaimers, as they used to say in Motor Sport magazine.....
Roger Lund

#4 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:33

Ordered... can't wait :clap:

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:36

Rob, it'll be in the post in the next 30 minutes for you.

#6 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:41

I, too, am looking forward to this. I know you’ve worked long and hard on this project, Gary.

#7 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:40

Tony, your copy is in the post too.

#8 RoxyJohn

RoxyJohn

• 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:43

I've ordered a copy - can't wait! It will be a superb accompaniment to the book "Black & Gold - the Story of the John Player Specials" which I received for my birthday last week and is a fascinating insight to the tobacco-supported period of F1.

#9 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 19:56

it's in the post, John!

#10 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 20:24

Living on the road in a VW bus = No Space

I tell everyone, "Give us nothing if larger than a business card."

We're breaking the Rule. You have a new order destined for Colorado, then everywhere else -- maybe even back home someday that we finally float the bus over there.

Good Luck, Gary! Everyone here should buy one, they all have space. :-)

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 20:53

very good, E1pix!   It will be on its' way to you in the morning, hope you enjoy it. (aside; we do have a Facebook group if you're interested, just search 'Lotus 72 dvd'.

Edited by Gary C, 21 August 2019 - 20:55.

#12 Claudio Navonne

Claudio Navonne

• 180 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:21

Are there possibilities to buy them and download them online? I have bought several videos from Duke this way.
Thank you.

#13 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:29

I'm afraid not at the moment Claudio.

#14 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 537 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:25

Fantastic, I cannot wait to view it, I too have just ordered a copy! Is there any updates on volume 2 of Shutter and Speed?

Colin 

#15 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 13:10

....no update on Vol.2 yet Colin.......'life' (and the 72 doc) seems to have taken over this year!

#16 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 16:48

My favorite car! Another order to USA placed this morning!

Bob

#17 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 18:19

thanks indeed, Bob. As before, it will be in the post in the morning for you.

all the best & hope you enjoy it!

#18 funformula

funformula

• 516 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 20:51

Just ordered a copy for shipment to Germany. It´s not all about Porsche and Mercedes over here  ;)

I´m very much looking forward watching the DVD...

#19 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 20:57

My favorite car! Another order to USA placed this morning!

Bob

Darn it, we coulda split both shipping and a beer!  :wave:

Advertisement

#20 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 21:24

Order on its way Gary. Really looking forward to this  :up:

#21 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 22:02

Darn it, we coulda split both shipping and a beer! :wave:

Eric, yes to splitting shipping, no to splitting a beer! At the length of the program maybe a six pack tho!

#22 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 15:54

I have also placed my order. Looks like September is going to be the month of the Lotus 72 as my signed copy of Pete Lyons new book is supposed to ship. https://www.petelyons.com/p/lotus-72

#23 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 17:02

It'll be in the post to you Walt straight after the Bank Holiday.

#24 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 17:22

I've just placed my order! I have a few books on the shelf (including the wonderful Michael Oliver work) on the Lotus 72, but it was re-reading the recently published Pete Lyons book and the evocative pictures therein that showed the evolution of the car that brought home to me just what an incredible machine it was! I've a week of r&r until early september so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it by then! 

Oh and congratulations Gary on bringing your labour of love to fruition!

#25 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 17:44

Thanks indeed for your order Martin. Must admit, everyone we contacted from Emerson down proved to be lovely people, fully co-operative, especially those who had not been in front of a camera before and all absolutely willing to tell their part of the story. Particularly pleasing was after we had finished filming Vic McCarthy, he embraced me and said 'Thanks for getting 'it'.' Which was a highlight for me. This from a man who has won a Formula 1 World Championship and at least two Indy 500's.

#26 SennasCat

SennasCat

• 1,304 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:52

Just ordered mine, looking forward to it  :up:

#27 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 14:30

On it's way tomorrow!

#28 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:20

Can you divert the package straight to our van so I needn't await mail forwarding? ;-)

#29 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 19:05

Can you divert the package straight to our van so I needn't await mail forwarding? ;-)

Just open yer sunroof and have the UPS plane push the package outta the cargo door as it flies over!

Edited by JacnGille, 27 August 2019 - 19:13.

#30 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,467 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 19:41

Knowing E1pix, it's more likely his van will be flying over the UPS plane...

#31 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 20:51

How utterly cruel in its truthdom.    :wave:    :mad:    :kiss:

Just open yer sunroof and have the UPS plane push the package outta the cargo door as it flies over!

Too much speed differential. Planes are slow.

#32 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 18:08

How utterly cruel in its truthdom.    :wave:    :mad:    :kiss:

Too much speed differential. Planes are slow.

The plane is slower than yer V Dub????? You musta had Alwin Springer breathe on it while the repairs were bein made.

#33 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:01

Order placed!

#34 SennasCat

SennasCat

• 1,304 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:50

Mine found its way to Oz on Monday. It will make for great pre-race entertainment on Sunday night  :clap:

#35 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:18

My copy arrived today and I just finished the first disk, simply wonderful production Gary! All was very interesting and simply great to listen to, I really enjoyed it, especially Peter Warr's commentary on Monza. Looking forward to disk 2, but I need to get some sleep, up way past my bed time!

#36 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 18:56

Very glad this is being well received, without, I hasten to add, any advertising at all as yet. We're going to be in a couple of magazines next month then a few more towards Christmas. All the best!

#37 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 515 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 13:26

My copy arrived today and I just finished the first disk, simply wonderful production Gary! All was very interesting and simply great to listen to, I really enjoyed it, especially Peter Warr's commentary on Monza.

Peter Warr's analysis of all the factors that led up to Jochen's fatal accident was very interesting. Especially how unaltered brake balance made the car very unstable

under hard braking when running without wings. As witnessed and reported by Denny Hulme. Suddenly the theory that a broken brake shaft caused the accident

seems more of a remote cause. He also adds much more info on the sequence of events and the aftermath. Also his comments on the Jim Clark accident is similarly analytical.

John Miles describing his difficulty in getting one with Jochen Rindt also brings much more nuance to what we have heard before, he doesn't have a bad word to say about Jochen

but they were certainly very different characters. John Miles brilliance as an analytical driver and engineer is proven when he explains the anti-dive, anti-squat theories, and its faults.

A very good complement to John Tipler's book about Ronnie, the Superswede film and "If you're not winning you're not trying hard enough" film etc. Fills many gaps.

Dave Brodie's recollections of Ronnie also brings new stories, although he's a bit more extrovert than he was in "Superswede", but also much more emotional.

And of course the story about the infamous drive with Ronnie following in the Elan from Mallory Park back to Maidenhead.

I can highly recommend this video for the reasons described above, also how refreshing it is to get the mechanic's stories heard properly. (for once...)

#38 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:40

You've hit on a good point there, I always wanted the voices of the guys on the ground to be heard, after all, they have the best stories.

#39 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:45

How are sales going Gary?

Advertisement

#40 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:16

How are sales going Gary?

Unless I am very wrong they could be going better. How so? Allow purchases using methods other than Paypal.

I won´t have an account having had an unfortunate incident with the company. But when I tried to buy the only option I found on the site was Paypal with no option of buying as a "guest".

Am I wrong?

#41 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:20

Am I wrong?

It seems you are because I paid using VISA.

When placing the order and filling in the payment details I was given the option of PayPal, VISA (and maybe others?)

Try again Dipster  :)

Rob

Edited by Rob Ryder, 04 October 2019 - 09:21.

#42 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:53

I was able to pay using Visa but as a Paypal guest. If Dipster objects to any involvement with Paypal he will need probably need to contact Gary to discuss other options. 

#43 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 16:51

It seems you are because I paid using VISA.

When placing the order and filling in the payment details I was given the option of PayPal, VISA (and maybe others?)

Try again Dipster  :)

Rob

I will give it another go. A regular supplier uses Paypal and I can pay him with a card as the guest option appears at the bottom of the page. But it did not when I tried the other day. Let´s see.

Regards to all.

Apologies too for messing up the page layout.............

Edited by Dipster, 04 October 2019 - 16:53.

#44 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 20:03

All the recent orders are now in the post, thanks all.

#45 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 16:09

Fantastic production, Gary - my only mild criticism as someone with hearing problems was that our DVD machine was unable to increase volume sufficiently for some of the quieter interviewees to be fully audible, but I learned a tremendous amount from the main documentary and have yet to delve into the 2 hour extra DVD.  From descriptions, I suspect I'll be grateful for the inclusion of John Miles explaining the rising rate and anti-dive/anti-squat suspension as I wanted to ask him to try to explain that to me (prompted by the purchase of the Spark 1:43rd model of the 72 as he drove in the British GP) next time we met - sadly, he passed away before I got the chance. :(

Edited by cpbell, 09 October 2019 - 16:10.

#46 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:22

There's more good stuff on the second disc.

#47 Anthem

Anthem

• 24 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:13

Enjoyed it. Thanks. Hard work shows. US purchase FYI. 

#48 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 20:22

More a labour of love. I can't think of a TV company that would have commissioned a programme that would concentrate on one car alone. If I had, I'm sure the story/thrust of the programme would have been diluted...just to get it on air, which is why I always aimed for the enthusiast market.

#49 SennasCat

SennasCat

• 1,304 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 13:01

Gary,

Finally got a chance to watch it in quiet, wifey was out :) . I was very impressed, the stories and interviews were deep and well done, and it's great to see history get the respect it deserves.

Still chugging through the extras, they're excellent too.

Great job 👍

#50 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 17:39

More a labour of love. I can't think of a TV company that would have commissioned a programme that would concentrate on one car alone. If I had, I'm sure the story/thrust of the programme would have been diluted...just to get it on air, which is why I always aimed for the enthusiast market.

Any TV company would have wanted an air of jeapordy!! There is an expensively produced documentary on Amazon about the restoration of a Ferrari 312B2 by the wealthy and connected Paola Barilla that at times is indestinguishable from a repeat of 'scrap yard challenge' on men and motors due to the preceived short attention span of the target audience.

It's a wonderful film, to be able to watch, pause, reach for a book off the shelf, read about the incident in question then carry on watching safe in the knowledge that the chap telling the story was actually there is invaluable!  The extras are a treat beyond words!