Photo

Radio report on the Italian Grand Prix in 1975

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lancasm

lancasm

• 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:30

This is my first post on this forum, hopefully this will be of interest.

It's a recording of Radio 1's Sunday Sports program from 7th September 1975. It includes a report by Barry Gill on the Italian Grand Prix at Monza where Nikki Lauder secured anough points to win the championship.

The back story to this is that when I was 11 years old, I used to record the top 20 show on a reel-to-reel tape recorder. I could then listen to it over and over again during the week.

Quite often I'd be called down for dinner before the programme finished so would leave the machine running. On the 7th September 1975, it recorded a good part of Ed Stewart's Sunday Sports programme which I re-discovered about 40 years later.

In addition to the F1, there are also reports on the tennis, county cricket and show jumping that took place that day.

Hope you enjoy it.

Advertisement

#2 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:58

Niki Lauda ...please.

Otherwise, good stuff, honourable mentions for UK drivers Jim Crawford, Bob Evans and Tom Pryce as well as the usual suspects Hunt & Watson.  It made me wonder whether a Grand Prix has ever featured a driver from each of the 4 "Home Nations" - presumably not.  Scotsman Stewart retired before Tom Pryce made an entry and obviously N.I. is considered part of the homeland. Incidentally I'd forgotten how luxuriant was Harold Ertl's moustache and how young Jody looked when he entered the fray.

More importantly, forget Navratilova, Princess Anne and County Cricket,  how did things go at the Radio 1 D.J. day down at Brands ???

Edited by moffspeed, 19 August 2019 - 13:11.

#3 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 13:56

Niki Lauda ...please.

Otherwise, good stuff, honourable mentions for UK drivers Jim Crawford, Bob Evans and Tom Pryce as well as the usual suspects Hunt & Watson.  It made me wonder whether a Grand Prix has ever featured a driver from each of the 4 "Home Nations" - presumably not.  Scotsman Stewart retired before Tom Pryce made an entry and obviously N.I. is considered part of the homeland. Incidentally I'd forgotten how luxuriant was Harold Ertl's moustache and how young Jody looked when he entered the fray.

More importantly, forget Navratilova, Princess Anne and County Cricket,  how did things go at the Radio 1 D.J. day down at Brands ???

The hardest thing is hearing about "26 year old Niki Lauda". I can't believe he was that young and that good at the game.

#4 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 14:35

Niki Lauda ...please.

Otherwise, good stuff, honourable mentions for UK drivers Jim Crawford, Bob Evans and Tom Pryce as well as the usual suspects Hunt & Watson.  It made me wonder whether a Grand Prix has ever featured a driver from each of the 4 "Home Nations" - presumably not.

Crawford's other GP, 1975 British, would seem to have the four home nations represented.

#5 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,642 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 14:36

It made me wonder whether a Grand Prix has ever featured a driver from each of the 4 "Home Nations" - presumably not

1975 British Grand Prix for one.

Edit - just beaten to it!

Edited by E.B., 19 August 2019 - 14:37.

#6 lancasm

lancasm

• 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 15:51

Hi moffspead,

Sorry for miss-spelling the great man's name, a case of PEBCAK I'm afraid.

I wouldn't have minded hearing the "DJs at Brands Hatch" item either, but sadly the tape cut out.

#7 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 16:34

Hi moffspead,

Sorry for miss-spelling the great man's name, a case of PEBCAK I'm afraid.

I wouldn't have minded hearing the "DJs at Brands Hatch" item either, but sadly the tape cut out.

No problems, I think the Brands event must have passed off relatively quietly compared to the similar event held at Mallory Park in May of the same year.

This was the infamous Radio 1 meeting which featured a guest appearance by the Bay City Rollers.  Cue 47,000 hysterical girls descending on the circuit to catch a glimpse of their heroes performing on Mallory's inland lake. Their enthusiasm knew no bounds, running across the track with racing in progress and diving into the weedy lake in an effort to reach the tartan clad lads. Amongst those who came to the rescue was Tony Blackburn in a speedboat driven by a "Womble" (if you're under 50 Google it!).

All very surreal..

#8 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:15

Niki Lauda ...please.

Harald Ertl, please.

#9 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:31

Thanks for posting Iancasm - really interesting to hear this. What a great day for Clay, Niki and Ferrari!

I occasionally used to record the chart show on Radio 1, and also have memories of scratching around the dial on Sundays, desperate for Grand Prix news which might, or might not, be broadcast on Radio 2 news slots. So I was really interested to see that this half hour sports summary was, technically, a Radio 1 production. My selective memory puts all 1970s sport on Radio 2.

Then I found this article, which goes some way to explaining why my memories of BBC Radio sports coverage are a little confused! 

The Many Lives of BBC Radio Sport - Glenn Aylett. ( I'm guessing it's pretty accurate but does refer to the Radio 1 half-hour sports programme you've recorded as a 1972 phenomenon, whereas you prove it was running in 1975 as well.)

https://www.transdif.../the_many_lives

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,848 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:35

BBC Genome is your friend, John.

#11 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 18:42

Harald Ertl, please.

..touche.....respect  :)

#12 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 21:41

..touche.....respect  :)

;)

#13 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:40

A few years ago I bought some reel to reel tapes containing off-air recordings of the BBC's radio series version of Steptoe and Son from 1966.

After one episode the recordist must have left his machine running and captured the news (accusations of doping in athletics, trouble in the Middle East....not much changes!) and then a brief rundown of a grand prix which if memory serves was won by Graham Hill. I'f it's of interest I'll dig out the tapes and digitise the excerpt though it is brief. After the sport and weather Desmond Carrington was on to give a programme of light music....something he was still doing in 2016 when I acquired the tapes! 

#14 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:46

After the sport and weather Desmond Carrington was on to give a programme of light music....something he was still doing in 2016 when I acquired the tapes! 

...from his home in Perthshire, until he died in 2017. I can't pretend I was the greatest fan of his show but someone must have liked him!

Staying OT for a moment, another thing that surprised me about lancasm's original post was Tom Browne doing the chart show. I had completely forgotten about him, despite listening to dozens of his Top Twenty countdowns. Reading up about him now he seems to have been a surprise appointment, eventually heading to Radio 2, Hong Kong then Thailand.

#15 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 20:16

800,000 people were listening to Desmond Carrington in his final years. I can't say I was specifically a fan but he was often on Radio 2 when the wife and I were driving back from dinner with friends and his selections were always pleasing to the ear. I had huge respect for the guy for broadcasting for so long and into old age.

Often when I acquire old audio or video tapes there's stuff on there which is of interest such as news broadcasts accidentally captured on tape. OP has a lovely slice of 70s grand prix nostalgia.

#16 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 20:43

Talking of chart shows, it was when I was listening to Pick of the Pops, with Alan Freeman, on 7th April 1968 that the news came through about Jim Clark. :cry: