- - - - -

Alonso starts Dakar 2020 prep

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#151 loki

loki

• 5,881 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 19:34

Fred did well in the dunes on stage 2 finishing 10th about 31 mins behind the leader.  They haven’t posted overall ranking yet but it looks like he’s about 75 mins back.

Advertisement

#152 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 276 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 20:59

Interview with Alonso right after stage 2

https://twitter.com/...9601622018?s=21

Some action from Stage 1 https://twitter.com/...5501196289?s=21

At around 1.23 of the video looks to be when Alonso and Coma were stuck after they had a wheel damage and had to wait for another car with a spare to come by. A whole world of difference from F1 and other track racing, I have massive respect for Alonso taking up this really tough challenge. I hope he goes well for the remaining 3 days.

#153 McLaren1702

McLaren1702

• 158 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:26

https://www.motorspo...ird-day/4554096

The third stage brings no luck. Hope it won't deter him from participating in the Dakar Rally in the end. The man breathes racing!

#154 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 942 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 13:09

https://www.motorspo...ird-day/4554096

The third stage brings no luck. Hope it won't deter him from participating in the Dakar Rally in the end. The man breathes racing headlines!

*cough* 

#155 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 13:35

So I think he will not compete in the 2020 Rallye Dakar.

#156 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,314 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 15:24

*cough* 

smh.

#157 loki

loki

• 5,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 23:37

Typically you aren’t allowed to continue in a rally raid once you time out or crash out.  Morocco is more low key and more or less a test for Dakar which may be why they’ll allow it.  For Dakar you’d pack your things, leave the bivouac and head back to the staging port.

Unlike rally you use both a road book and virtual check points.  It’s not a single track affair.  While several got caught in the rut many did not. It’s the nature of the sport.  Hopefully it doesn’t deter him from running Dakar.

#158 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:56

I can't find the results of the Rallye. Any news about the complete results. How were the last 2 days for Alonso?

#159 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,831 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:37

I can't find the results of the Rallye. Any news about the complete results. How were the last 2 days for Alonso?

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso Fernando Alonso finished 27th on his cross-country rally debut after posting the eighth-quickest time in the final stage.

Alonso had shown top-10 pace throughout the five-day rally in his Toyota Hilux, but his work was undone by a suspension failure on Monday - caused when he hit a ditch that was not marked in the roadbook.

https://www.motorspo...][value]=264899

Advertisement

#160 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:57

thanks

#161 kumo7

kumo7

• 2,018 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:35

Now I hope Toyota to be patient, just as much or more as McLaren was to Honda. :up:

#162 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,966 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:56

Now I hope Toyota to be patient, just as much or more as McLaren was to Honda. :up:

Last I heard Honda are doing very well without Maclaren and Alonso thank you very much!

#163 revmeister

revmeister

• 547 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 13:22

Last I heard Honda are doing very well without Maclaren and Alonso thank you very much!

Link please!

#164 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,314 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 16:15

What Alonso learned from his best Dakar test yet https://www.autospor...-dakar-test-yet

Long article. A few quotes:

What does this mean for Dakar in 2020?

"I do not know. Now when the rally passes and after a few days I will think about it and talk to the team and we will make the best decision.

"Let's also see what the next months are like, what preparation should be done to arrive 100% prepared and be as competitive as possible in the case of going to Dakar. There are two and a half months, there is a car [available]."

What do you need to improve on?

"Many things. Reading the terrain, the obstacles, where to pass them sometimes. Because we cross many rivers, at least here in Morocco, and sometimes my instinct tells me to go through one side and all tracks go to another. So logically they [the more experienced drivers] know a lot more and I [should] follow the tracks, so I have to get many of the things that everyone does.

"The dunes too, I need to have more rhythm, more speed and never get stuck. I haven't done it here, but in the future I have to improve a lot more there. Also inside the car. With Marc, the more kilometres we do, the better we'll find ourselves, because it's also new for him. It's not that he is a co-driver who has years and years of experience, so step by step we both get better.

"This rally has been complicated in every way, because of the difficulties we have encountered every day, because of the little things that were coming out and were surprising us and we had to go through them. But no more complicated than I thought. I know the challenge, it is one of the most extreme things.

"Sometimes I have taken a bit of bittersweet taste in the stages, because you see that you have wasted time here and there and we have not been able to do any of the normal five days, clean of shocks, not even today.

"But these are things that happen to you and to everyone else and I also have to learn from it and always be [consistent]. To do these type of rallies is more to do 90% every day and not 100% and 50% peaks. So little by little, much to improve, but [I am] happy."

Alonso is the "bravest pilot you can imagine"

Alonso's team boss Glyn Hall has masterminded Alonso's cross-country switch from the Toyota team's base in South Africa. He has been impressed by how quickly Alonso has adapted to his new surroundings.

"He is the bravest pilot you can imagine for trying this," says Hall.

"It is an unknown discipline and it is the most complicated, even more than rallies, because it takes years to get used to it. Kimi [Raikkonen] tried it in rallies, but look at Loeb, the best driver in the world and he could not win here [in Morocco].

"Fernando arrived with zero experience on gravel and we have exposed him, especially since August, to all the different types of terrain that we can find. In addition, we limit the training to a maximum of four days at a time, because more of this might be too much.

"I invited him [Alonso] to my house when he came to South Africa, we had dinner and my children were around. He is a great human being.

"We are a small team and this is perfect for us. He is already one of us. And we are on top of the best driver of his generation, probably, as many people tell me, and we have checked it. He is one of the team. Everything is normal."

Alonso will now undergo a testing programme spread across two weeks, before he and the Toyota team head to Saudi Arabia to compete in a national event in the dunes where the next Dakar will be held, having moved from South America.

The Ula Rally or the Baja Sharqiya are both options for the squad. A decision on whether Alonso will contest the Dakar is expected before the end of October.

Edited by AustinF1, 10 October 2019 - 16:17.

#165 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,314 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 16:22

Alonso: A lot of positives out of the Rally of Morocco https://www.grandpri...lly-of-morocco/

Alonso summed up his time in the desert, “I’m definitely taking a lot of positives out of the Rally of Morocco. It was a busy two weeks here testing and then, for my first international rally raid competition, straight into one of the toughest races on the calendar.

“I’m really happy to cross the finish line and it has been an eye-opening experience to see just how demanding it is for everyone in the team, the cars and the crews. We had some ups and downs in our performance but I think we demonstrated our potential in the Hilux. Most importantly, I’m learning from all the difficulties we faced during the rally.

“I want to congratulate Giniel, Alex and the Toyota Gazoo Racing team for the win. Giniel has been my biggest help, mentoring me during my training in Namibia and South Africa over the past few months,” added the former Formula 1 driver.

Team principal Glyn Hall said of the off-road rookie, “For Fernando, we knew it was a steep learning curve for him. If we had more time, I would’ve preferred for him to do more local races in South Africa before taking on something as formidable as the Rally of Morocco.

“The route is extremely tough and the roadbook wasn’t always precise. Despite the challenges he faced, I know he gained more invaluable experience here. He might not feel it yet, but with the decision on Dakar coming up, he will definitely be in a position to reap the benefits of everything he experienced in Morocco.”

#166 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,966 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 22:48

Link please!

Just follow the spoor  of the Red Bulls!   :p

#167 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,966 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 23:01

To me Dakar is no longer the real deal since it left it's origins....I do understand the reasons why...Still..