Photo

Tip of my tongue...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,355 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 00:43

It looks to me like the Testadora 500 head has eminent capacity for a bolt-on OHC arrangement...

It's machined flat on the top, so a casting for the cam boxes could readily come down on that. There are at least eight bolts evident which could be used to retain such a casting and it would be possible to add more fixings. Particularly if the head was cast in bronze, which I believe was mentioned somewhere.

Advertisement

#52 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,810 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:51

The cutaway differs from the advertisement...

It would look like a twin-cam.

Anyway, Michael, why haven't you taken Sebastian to task on the genesis of the 'Bristol type' design?

Oh, so it's my duty to defend Bavaria's honour? I've said it often enough, but I'll gladly repeat it again: I don't care for nationalities; the fact that both I and BMW's engineers are/were German I regard as accidental and entirely inconsequential - I have much more in common with the people of Luxemburg or East Belgium, than with Bavarians (or Herr Fiedler from Berlin, for that matter) - we don't even speak the same language, for all I know!  ;)

#53 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,026 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 19:32

As some of the other posters have pointed out, the car in the photo definitely appears to have rubber-in-tension (probably bungee chord) suspension. The 'mystery box' is the pulley block for a number of rubber bands in parallel. The pullrod is adjustable for length to set the ride height (and to keep it, as the rubber probably stretches with use and age).

What appears to be a drive shaft is merely the track rod - you can see the grease nipples for the ball joint at its outboard end. The bit that isn't steering or wishbones is probably the brake hose as someone else also pointed out.

The telescopic damper and its gaiter also looks interesting.

But it's not the very same car depicted in full on 500.org...