- - - - -

Juan Manuel Correa injury and recovery thread [split]

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:40

I don't like the sound of this, Juan Manuel Correa has deteriorated into Acute Respiratory Failure, and is in an induced coma...  :cry:

https://www.motorspo...-crash/4533310/

Hopefully he will pull through and we get good news on his improving condition ASAP.

Edited by maximilian, 07 September 2019 - 02:40.

Advertisement

#2 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:37

I don't like the sound of this, Juan Manuel Correa has deteriorated into Acute Respiratory Failure, and is in an induced coma...  :cry:

Hopefully he will pull through and we get good news on his improving condition ASAP.

Ouch :( ARDS is not a great thing, no.

#3 aray

aray

• 5,821 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:30

I hope he will pull through, just not for him and his family only, but for everybody in the greater motorsport fraternity.....

#4 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,664 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:38

Very sorry to read this, I am sure everyone will be wishing him and his family well this weekend.

#5 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:44

That doesn’t sound at all good on Correa. What rubbish news to wake up to :(

#6 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:05

Wishing Correa the very best, certainly a worrying development. 

#7 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:32

The bit that rings major alarm bells to me is where his parents say they’re confident he’ll “surprise them”

#8 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:43

Sad to hear that Correa's condition has taken a step backwards. Hopefully the next update we hear will be a positive one and he can get on the road to recovery.

#9 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,406 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:55

Saddened to hear of this development. Although the norm with ECMO, life support and an induced coma being introduced a week after the event is extremely concerning. With you JM. Perhaps there ought to be a specific thread for JM if the mods deem it appropriate.

Edited by milestone 11, 07 September 2019 - 11:19.

#10 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:29

According to Wikipedia that condition has 40% mortality rate, so let's hope he belongs to the other 60%.

#11 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:43

Be strong Juan, fight your way out!
Big prayers.

#12 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,552 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:50

According to Wikipedia that condition has 40% mortality rate, so let's hope he belongs to the other 60%.

I see I’m not the only one who checked out the Wiki article.

I hope everything goes well for JM, but to echo others in this thread, very concerning news indeed.

#13 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:15

So sad to hear about Juan Manuel Correa...hope he recovers.

#14 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:51

Damn, I had no idea Correa was this bad too. What an absolute terrible state of circumstances all around.

#15 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:01

Oh no, that's terrible news.

#16 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:45

That's even worse than I thought.

#17 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:54

Still time yet for the accident to get even worse.

Hope he pulls through.

#18 l12mcg

l12mcg

• 462 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 13:39

That's even worse than I thought.

But, most of the people who die are from the underlying cause.

Without any information on why he has ARDS you can’t make any conclusions.

Also bare mortality rates tell you nothing anyway.

If the normal patient with ARDS is a 80 year old with pneumonia then their prognosis has little to do with the prognosis for a healthy 20 year old.

I wouldn’t be too concerned until we hear more, the fact is the mortality rates for an average stay in intensive care is something like 30% anyway (not including surgery recovery) - and that again doesn’t tell you much, because you don’t know why people are in there. So his family saying things like “he’ll surprise them” is normal, doctors will downplay the patients chances, a surprise recovery doesn’t hurt anyone but false hope can.

I just saw the article which has more detail than the statement on sky, we still need detail of ARDS resulting from a deceleration injury vs pneumonia or aspiration injuries.

Edited by l12mcg, 07 September 2019 - 13:48.

#19 l12mcg

l12mcg

• 462 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 13:56

Rather than edit my post I’ll come in with some good news:

“Although ARDS is associated with increased morbidity, hospital and ICU length of stay, and costs, it does not increase overall mortality among critically ill trauma patients.”

The conclusion is people suffering post traumatic ARDS do not have increased mortality compared to people suffering similar traumatic injuries without suffering ARDS.

The numbers were 27% and 25% but it wasn’t statistically significant.

What is more common is more complications, and with increased hospital stay length.

Source: https://jamanetwork....larticle/398725

So it could be worse.

Edited by l12mcg, 07 September 2019 - 15:23.

Advertisement

#20 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,025 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 14:11

Keep strong Juan Manuel.

#21 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 19:51

Sending Good Vibes to a fellow American.

#22 ArchieTech

ArchieTech

• 3,349 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 20:15

Best wishes to Juan Manuel and strength to his family and doctors as they care for him.

#23 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 1,412 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 20:29

Sad news really. I tought he was out of the woods. Best wishes for him.

#24 PedroDiCasttro

PedroDiCasttro

• 2,633 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 20:58

https://www.skysport...-after-f2-crash

According to this article in SkyF1, he also suffered spinal cord injuries, that wouldn't be a surprise given the nature of the accident.

Perhaps that could have also contributed with the respiratory problems. His conditions are very worrying, let's pray he pulls through.

#25 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 21:01

According to this article in SkyF1, he also suffered spinal cord injuries, that wouldn't be a surprise given the nature of the accident.

Perhaps that could have also contributed with the respiratory problems. His conditions are very worrying, let's pray he pulls through.

It was already known that he had a spinal injury.

Best wishes to him.  This development oly adds to the sadness of that day last weekend.

Edited by cpbell, 07 September 2019 - 21:02.

#26 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 21:02

Wishing you all the best Juan  :up:

Stay strong and hope his family and friends can stay strong too it's obviously incredibly tough on them :up:

#27 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 729 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 22:04

Young athletes have recovery abilities that the rest of the population only dreams of having. Hopefully he pulls through and scores a full recovery.

#28 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 22:57

oh hells bells no, I thought he was 'safe'.   My thoughts are with him and I hope he pulls though.  

#29 l12mcg

l12mcg

• 462 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 23:08

Uhmm, the article doesn’t say spinal cord injuries unless I’ve gone blind - it says injuries to his spine and legs.

We don’t know he doesn’t have spinal cord injuries but we don’t know he does. So let’s not spread that please!

That did not contribute to his respiratory injury - the most likely cause of injury is his lungs continuing to move after impact and potentially hitting his ribs and that has the possibility of causing swelling. Which is what acute respiratory distress syndrome is (essentially).

The only way a spinal injury causes ARDS is if the patient loses their ability to effectively swallow and inhales food or fluid. That probably isn’t what we’re talking about here - his families’ statement said it was a “common result of his type of accident” that suggests chest trauma.

Like I said in my earlier post, post traumatic ARDS does not have a statistically higher rate of mortality than the same injury without it. About 25%, but that’s in all patients and a 20 year old athlete is not a typical patient.

He is on ECMO - they are oxygenating his blood outside his body to rest his lungs - when the swelling goes down they’ll slowly bring him off it and see if he can handle breathing on his own.

The ARDS won’t be the thing that kills him if he doesn’t survive.

We won’t hear anything for awhile though, he’ll probably be on ECMO for a week at least.

Edited by l12mcg, 07 September 2019 - 23:10.

#30 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:41

Thanks for that info.

#31 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:04

Thanks for that info.

Seconded.

#32 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,056 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:32

Thank you for helping us understand, I12mcg. Much appreciated.

#33 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:39

The news is very jarring. Felt like he was out of the woods. He was awake and communicating at one point, wasn't he? Previous statements said he had been informed of Hubert's passing.

The statement reads "On his arrival to London, Juan Manuel was diagnosed with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome".

He was moved to London on Wednesday/Thursday I believe, whereas the statement was released only yesterday. It feels like no news is good news at this stage.

Edited by TomNokoe, 08 September 2019 - 10:40.

#34 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,664 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 19:15

Mensaje de ánimo a Juan Manuel Correa, que está luchando para recuperarse! Te queremos ver pronto y a tope como siempre! Vamos piloto! Vamos campeón. 1f4aa.png1f4aa.png1f4aa.png

Auto translated:

Message of encouragement to Juan Manuel Correa, who is struggling to recover! We want to see you soon and healthy [?] as always! Come on pilot! Come on Champion.

Edited by SophieB, 08 September 2019 - 19:20.

#35 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,664 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 20:38

An update:

http://racetechdevel...a-september-13/

Our son, Juan Manuel, remains in the Intensive Care Unit at a hospital in London, England with my wife and I at his side. We have good days and bad days as well as long nights and short nights but with the support of the motorsports community, our friends, family, country and fans, we continue to pray for Juan Manuel.
Juan Manuel remains in a state of induced coma with paralysis in order for his lungs to get as much rest as possible. Continuing to be assisted by an ECMO machine many of the key vital indicators have improved slightly while others have deteriorated very little. We have been reminded by the doctors that as long as Juan Manuel continues in an upward trend of improvement, even if very little, it is all that we can ask for at the moment. Infections are under control and respiratory indicators remain stable and all vital signs continue to remain consistent and stable.
 We believe in our son’s strength and determination, we see the minor improvement as an indication of him starting to turn the tide in his favor, we just need him to do it a little quicker.  Doctors continue to monitor and change the bandages when necessary and confirm that the fractures are multiple and severe. Additional surgeries will be required once Juan Manuel’s lungs improve to a state that it is safe for doctors to proceed.
We would like to thank each and every person that has called, text, sent emails and reached out on social media. We have received and read or continue to read and show all the messages to Juan Manuel. Your messages help him to fight and never give up. This will be the biggest single motivator for Juan Manuel when he regains consciousness. We invite fans and friends to continue to send supportive messages via social media or to Info@JMCorrea.com. Again, thank you for your support.

His poor parents. Much love and strength to them and their son.

#36 Beri

Beri

• 11,634 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 21:46

An update:

http://racetechdevel...a-september-13/

His poor parents. Much love and strength to them and their son.

Thank you for sharing. But holy excrements.. that sounds way worse than was expected (by me) to be honest.
Hopefully the lad will recover fully..

#37 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 23:41

Yeah this doesn't sound good at all, seems a lot more serious than we thought at the beginning in the first day, when it sounded like he had a bunch of broken bones and that was it (very painful but not life threatening). I guess it's good he's improving, but he's clearly going through a very difficult situation. Best wishes for the poor guy.

#38 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,220 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:39

Sounds very bad to me... I am afraid he will join Bianchi and Hubert sooner or later.

#39 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:25

I think we all fear that, but...

Thank You very much for posting the update, Sophie. I've searched several times a day to find nothing, and unknowns are never inspiring.

For his parents to encourage direct support as stated is very unprecedented in such cases, and in this way. I for one plan to write a careful message as one who's experienced similar things, both in racing and in life. They must be two amazing people.

Thanks Again.

Advertisement

#40 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,419 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:55

That’s tough to hear. Really hoping for the best!

#41 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:26

Damn, I thought he had a few broken bones and now this. Suddenly Alonso's message from a few days ago makes more sense to me, it seemed a bit OTT when I read it for the first time. Hoping for the best but as always preparing myself for the worst. :(

Edited by GoldenColt, 14 September 2019 - 06:40.

#42 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:58

This is awful news. I thought he only had leg injuries and would be on the mend in no time. Wishing him and his family all the best.

#43 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:18

I googled what an ecmo machine was.... thinking it was a simple tube thingy, i was pretty shocked to discover it seemed to resemble the ISS in terms of complexity. As others have said above, this **** is starting to get really serious.

Get well dude, we're all thinking of you!

#44 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:40

Damn.. don't know what else to do but offer support on a forum :( here's hoping.. C'mon kid.

#45 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 14:01

I'm not religious and don't pray but I really hope and wish that he pulls through this.  I can only imagine the upset and worry his parents are going through.

C'mon mate, you can survive this, we're all behind you!

#46 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 1,120 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 14:16

So what is his injuries exactly?

#47 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 14:33

In any case of sudden deceleration, organs strike the rib cage and suffer secondary injuries. I suspect severe lung bruising as a minimum in this case, plus compound leg fractures.

#48 FLB

FLB

• 29,676 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 14:40

In any case of sudden deceleration, organs strike the rib cage and suffer secondary injuries. I suspect severe lung bruising as a minimum in this case, plus compound leg fractures.

In other words, a heaping world of Not Good...

The more I think of it, the more I realize how lucky both Philippe Gache and Stan Fox were at Indy in 1992.

#49 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,042 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 15:00

Get well soon, I hope he pulls through. A terrible situation

#50 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 19:28

Oh no...this reminds me a lot of the Jules Bianchi situation. I hope not...please get well soon Juan Manuel!