- - - - -

On the podium! But.... embarassed, ashamed, compromized, painful podiums

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#51 messy

messy

• 3,640 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:44

Read what happened in the very final laps of the race to get to this particular result. The manner Hakkinen was promoted to first reads like a script that I can't imagine Mika must feel about that it made him look as being the fierce contender he could be and proved too be in later years.
I am not going to put down names of drivers but how Mika was promoted to first place was a script that could be used for many a lesser hopeful driver who was never to win a race on his own but could be given the fame and glory since no result for championship or whatever was compromized because of handing him the victory. And the team doing so getting assistnce from another team to make that happen....
I am not a fan of him, never was, but Mika deserved better than being exposed like this.

I don't remember it being that dramatic or blatant to be honest. The way I remember it Villeneuve was very, very slow just to get the car to the end. The McLarens caught him, with Hakkinen already ahead having switched 2nd/3rd place a few laps before, and he put up no resistance so Mika swept through and took the flag. Villeneuve himself was almost caught at the line by a Benetton too. Then everyone looked happy as anything on the podium. 

Advertisement

#52 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,675 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:03

I don't remember it being that dramatic or blatant to be honest. The way I remember it Villeneuve was very, very slow just to get the car to the end. The McLarens caught him, with Hakkinen already ahead having switched 2nd/3rd place a few laps before, and he put up no resistance so Mika swept through and took the flag. Villeneuve himself was almost caught at the line by a Benetton too. Then everyone looked happy as anything on the podium. 

That seems to be how the video I posted on the previous page depicts it as well. Villeneuve himself says that if he had remembered that it was Berger's very last race, then he would have let Berger overtake him as well to take the last podium place. The win or podium meant nothing to Jacques, the WDC everything. 

#53 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,749 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:37

Having rewatched that podium recently I think nobody did celebrate that day. In fact, Larini (his only podium in carreer) and Schumacher looked pretty grim, with Hakkinen being just cold finn.

I think they look like they're not sure how to be acting, MS especially, The below video is not how I would have titled it, but I picked it because it shows more of the ceremony than most and I think is enough for people to make up their own mind.

https://www.youtube....h?v=byAuJSEXsMA

#54 John B

John B

• 7,208 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 13:22

Can't think of specific races immediately offhand...but IIRC during the peak of the Prost-Senna rivalry era (with Piquet and Mansell also starring) there were a number of podiums that were kind of amusing for the lack of warmth and celebratory spirit among the drivers.

ETA Prost at Monza 1989 tossing the trophy to the crowd much to the disgust of Ron Dennis, after signing for Ferrari, accusing the team of favoring Senna, then inheriting the win....

Edited by John B, 11 September 2019 - 13:56.

#55 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,016 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 13:44

The sole thing that I liked with that, was that it for once, seemed like the F1 reporters actually got in to doing their job properly.

For one hour or so...

Some of them as nationalistic as ever though...

#56 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,610 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:55

How did we forget about Brazil 2003?

1900919-2013908.jpg

I'd imagine that's a unique podium in that none of the steps had the right person on it.

#57 bibliophagos

bibliophagos

• 202 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:56

Nobody mentioned Sochi 2018 yet?

#58 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,647 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 18:09

I'd imagine that's a unique podium in that none of the steps had the right person on it.

That works in the situation where winner was eventually disqualified - or in sometimes penalized (Belgium 2008, which had correct three drivers in wrong places)

#59 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,808 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 18:16

Sepang 2013 was awkward. I don’t blame Vettel for ignoring multi-21 though.

What was his margin over Alonso in 2010 or 2013? Leaving free points on the table would have been idiotic.

Advertisement

#60 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 503 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:04

John Kocinski misteriously dissapeared from podium at World Superbike Race at Sepang 1996

He won the race and than dissapeared.

It was very strange (as a lot of other things regarding John)

Can someone shed some light on this. Im still puzzeled what happened?

#61 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:33

Prost at Monza 1989 tossing the trophy to the crowd much to the disgust of Ron Dennis, after signing for Ferrari, accusing the team of favoring Senna, then inheriting the win....

Yep, Ron Dennis was on the podium as well and he only realised what was about to happen slightly before Prost dropped the trophy to the crowd, too late to do anything about it. Ron kept all the driver's trophies from the races as well if I remember correctly, so for him to see Prost do that was a big shock. He gave Prost a very cold look and as they then started to walk away from the podium Ron threw the team trophy very theatrically at Prost's feet and walked away without looking at him. That has to be up there as a candidate for at least the most awkward podium exit of all time. When Prost returned to McLaren as a test driver in the mid-90s he had a replica made of that 1989 Italian GP trophy to gift it back to Ron.

#62 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 503 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:36

OMG, Ron Dennis its just a piece of plastic

#63 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:37

Sepang 2013 was awkward. I don’t blame Vettel for ignoring multi-21 though.

What was his margin over Alonso in 2010 or 2013? Leaving free points on the table would have been idiotic.

Actually in 2013 Seb could have afforded to go for holidays and skip the last three races altogether. I clearly remember a team radio after Seb won yet another race late in the season, Austin? He said something like "Let's enjoy this, these days won't last forever." Oh boy, was he right...

Edited by AnttiK, 11 September 2019 - 20:39.

#64 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:54

Can't think of specific races immediately offhand...but IIRC during the peak of the Prost-Senna rivalry era (with Piquet and Mansell also starring) there were a number of podiums that were kind of amusing for the lack of warmth and celebratory spirit among the drivers.

One quite funny one from this era was 1990 Estoril as well. Mansell was out of the Championship fight and was supposed to help Prost in his Championship challenge against Senna. Ferrari had locked out the front row. So what does Mansell do in the start? He cuts off Prost and crowds him against the pitwall as hard as he can!  :rotfl: This causes Prost to lose many positions and eventually finish the race third behind Senna.

Then on the podium more weird stuff ensues. Prost is understandably not at all happy whilst Mansell for some strange reason (especially considering the tumultuous Mansell-Senna relationship) concentrates to embrace Senna as warmly as he can, hugging him tightly against him and everything, to the point where Senna looks genuinely embarassed and uncomfortable. I wonder what was up with Nigel that day.  :lol:   :lol:  

Edited by AnttiK, 11 September 2019 - 20:59.

#65 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,808 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:12

Actually in 2013 Seb could have afforded to go for holidays and skip the last three races altogether. I clearly remember a team radio after Seb won yet another race late in the season, Austin? He said something like "Let's enjoy this, these days won't last forever." Oh boy, was he right...

Sepang was early in the season in 2013, only in 2016 was it at the end. Nobody could have guessed Pirelli would mess up so horribly to have the Silverstone disaster and then subsequent tyre tweaks which were a godsend for Red Bull.

What do they say about hindsight being 20/20?

#66 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,865 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:25

That is simply fake emotions. No one gets embarrassed standing on a podium not many will ever stand on! I certainly would not  given half a chance! :wave:

#67 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:26

One quite funny one from this era was 1990 Estoril as well. Mansell was out of the Championship fight and was supposed to help Prost in his Championship challenge against Senna. Ferrari had locked out the front row. So what does Mansell do in the start? He cuts off Prost and crowds him against the pitwall as hard as he can!  :rotfl: This causes Prost to lose many positions and eventually finish the race third behind Senna.

Then on the podium more weird stuff ensues. Prost is understandably not at all happy whilst Mansell for some strange reason (especially considering the tumultuous Mansell-Senna relationship) concentrates to embrace Senna as warmly as he can, hugging him tightly against him and everything, to the point where Senna looks genuinely embarassed and uncomfortable. I wonder what was up with Nigel that day.  :lol:   :lol:  

Mansell-Senna.png

Edited by AnttiK, 11 September 2019 - 21:26.

#68 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 214 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:34

Monaco a lot of years!

Just one of them
https://youtu.be/GKxdd1IkVlM

Haha, I had forgotten about that one. Vettel trolling is the best Vettel. :)

#69 Luca Pacchiarini

Luca Pacchiarini

• 630 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 22:35

John Kocinski misteriously dissapeared from podium at World Superbike Race at Sepang 1996

I don't know and I would be curious to learn about it, but Sepang hadn't been built yet in 1996.

Are you thinking of Johor or Shah Alam in Malaysia? (Or even Sentul in Indonesia?)

#70 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,924 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 22:44

Canada 1973?

I was there, it was more confusing than anything else.

#71 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,924 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 22:47

Zandvoort 1970, Rindt's expression on the podium says it all.

#72 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,049 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 22:55

Poor Justin looks to be the most awkward gunslinger ever...

#73 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,016 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:05

_45333632_renaulttitle2005.jpg

This has to be one of the most embarrassing po...ctures ever...  China 2005?

Edited by THEWALL, 12 September 2019 - 02:06.

#74 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:40

1982 Canada, Piquet refused to stand on the top of the podium, he stood in front of it. He didn't want the celebrations after Paletti's crash

#75 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 2,206 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:53

Haha, I had forgotten about that one. Vettel trolling is the best Vettel. :)

Ahh, back when Vettel was happy... Good old times

#76 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 503 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:17

I don't know and I would be curious to learn about it, but Sepang hadn't been built yet in 1996.

Are you thinking of Johor or Shah Alam in Malaysia? (Or even Sentul in Indonesia?)

Maybe Sentul!?

#77 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:23

Also whenever Jean-Marie Balestre went up on the podium, the chances for awkward scenes went up considerably. In 1988 Spa he told Senna off for......waving at the crowd?  :rotfl: 
https://www.youtube....9i6i59g&t=9m13s

I think there's many more funny ones with him that don't come to mind now but in 1984 Österreichring he basically told on live TV the official TV cameraman filming the proceedings to broadcasters all over the world to gtfo and stop filming the podium...I mean how dare he film people and invade their privacy?!   :drunk:  He ignored Balestre and kept doing his job but Balestre kept making his disgust clear to the whole world in full close-up LOL.
Also if any driver spoke as much as a word during a national anthemn he would be very sternly told off by Balestre immediately, especially if this happened during the  La Marseillaise then it was the ultimate sin. Arnoux and Tambay were fooling around during the anthemn at 1983 Zandvoort and I'm not sure what Balestre told them because after that they looked like they were attending a funeral for the rest of the ceremony.

Btw as Jerez 1997 was brought up as an awkward podium before....it might not have been that awkward for the drivers but it ended up being awkward for the race organisers and the FIA. Apparently the important people representing and giving away trophies had not been approved by the FIA and this was later used as the (official) reason to dump Jerez and hence that was the last ever F1 race at Jerez. At least Jerez went out with a bang!

#78 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,599 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:05

Not discomfort for the drivers, but at the 2006 Turkish Grand Prix, winner Felipe Massa received his trophy from Mehmet Ali Talat, credited as the President of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, a disputed state recognised only by Turkey. The Republic of Cyprus complained to the FIA, who fined the organisers $5 million for breaching the body's rules on political neutrality.

#79 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:11

Btw as Jerez 1997 was brought up as an awkward podium before....it might not have been that awkward for the drivers but it ended up being awkward for the race organisers and the FIA. Apparently the important people representing and giving away trophies had not been approved by the FIA and this was later used as the (official) reason to dump Jerez and hence that was the last ever F1 race at Jerez. At least Jerez went out with a bang!

This article explains in more detail that particular controversy:
https://www.grandpri...ns/ns01392.html

And given the strange end to the race, this gives even more fuel to the theory that there was some kind of a fix, involving the FIA themselves as well. Booking the Mercedes boss to present the trophies...but only if McLaren wins? Before the race McLaren win was quite a long shot.

Edited by AnttiK, 12 September 2019 - 07:42.

Advertisement

#80 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:29

grandprix.com 

DECEMBER 15, 1997

The governing body normally issues a list of the dignitaries involved but at Jerez there were two different lists one for a normal race result and the other in case a McLaren won. This was because of the appearance at the race of Daimler-Benz chairman Jurgen Schrempp who obviously did not wish to be photographed handing out prizes to his rivals. 

Referring still to the Jerez 1997 case...it actually reminded me of another classic. Schumacher having to present the trophy to absolutely delighted Ron Dennis at 2007 Nürburgring.  :rotfl: 
vlcsnap-2019-09-12-10h20m02s788.pngvlcsnap-2019-09-12-10h20m23s335.png

Edited by AnttiK, 12 September 2019 - 07:33.

#81 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,816 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:08

Was at 3 of Henri’s selections.
Indy2005 was by far the most embarrassing.
Podium at Jerez in 97 was fantastic.. after party was even better.

Jp

Don't you dare to say that about  Monteiro's podium  :) ! It was  fantastic! Schumi and Barrichello had funeral faces but it was them being false. 

#82 Barty

Barty

• 1,891 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:06

Spain, Jerez 1997: Hakkinen, Coulthardt, Villeneuve

Austria 2001: Coulthardt, M Schumacher, Barrichello...

USA 2002 Indianapolis:  Barrichello, M Schumacher, Coulthardt

*Coulthard

#83 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 668 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:08

Dick Seaman 1938 German GP

Hi won the German GP driving for Mercedes and thus had to give an uncomfortable Nazi salute (English drive in case you don't know).

Pic/story here

https://www.motorspo...ortable-strings.

I would hope that Dick Seaman had managed to find a coping mechanism for when he suffered embarrassment in life. One hopes he’d become hardened to it over the years.

#84 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 370 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:13

Every single podium in Russia.

#85 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 503 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:39

It was Sentul, not Sepang, sorry

#86 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:49

Every single podium in Russia.

Especially the small talk scenes with Putin before the drivers go on the podium. 

#87 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,816 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:24

Piquet fainted once dind't he?

#88 John B

John B

• 7,208 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:47

If we extend it from drivers there's also the fine the Instanbul organizers drew in 2006 for introducing politics (and hiding from FIA who would be making the presentation) and the mayor of Jerez in 1997...... :D

#89 Blackmamba

Blackmamba

• 280 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 13:21

The podium of Canada 2019 wasn't a good look either. A disappointed, angry Vettel and an awkard Hamilton that knew he won underservely.

Hamilton deserved to win. He applied pressure on Vettel all race and Vettel cracked and made a mistake.

#90 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 13:25

Piquet fainted once dind't he?

Brazil 1982

#91 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,808 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 14:25

Also whenever Jean-Marie Balestre went up on the podium, the chances for awkward scenes went up considerably. In 1988 Spa he told Senna off for......waving at the crowd?  :rotfl: 
https://www.youtube....9i6i59g&t=9m13s

Urgh, it had been a while since Balestre was on my mind.

#92 chr1s

chr1s

• 300 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 19:17

I think Henri wanted serious incidents left out of this but fwiw it was Stohr who hit Luckett.

No, he's right, Reutemann hit 18 year old Osella mechanic Giovanni Amadeo during Friday practice and he died on the Monday. The Luckett incident happened at the start of the race and thankfully he survived.

#93 Collombin

Collombin

• 4,542 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 19:39

I know, I was correcting the comment that it was Patrese who hit Luckett.

#94 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,735 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 19:58

*Coulthard

I'm sorry, even way after his retirement David remains one of the few drivers of whio I simply can't keep remembering how his name has to be written.

Have no idea why,

#95 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 1,242 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 22:02

Referring still to the Jerez 1997 case...it actually reminded me of another classic. Schumacher having to present the trophy to absolutely delighted Ron Dennis at 2007 Nürburgring.  :rotfl: 
vlcsnap-2019-09-12-10h20m02s788.pngvlcsnap-2019-09-12-10h20m23s335.png

A practice run at "Fernando is faster than you, can you confirm....?"  :rotfl: as per my avatar.

#96 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 9,507 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 22:14

Nobody mentioned Sochi 2018 yet?

I think that no one remembers anything from Sochi.

#97 ixnay

ixnay

• 196 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 22:25

Is this only for F1? If not, 1992 Bathurst 1000 Podium is a highlight in my books:

Edited by ixnay, 12 September 2019 - 22:25.

#98 Albertino

Albertino

• 458 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:50

Press conference for the 2000 Italian GP, MSC is asked whether 'Equaling Senna's victories is important to him.'  The question itself was not bad, but Michael was already visibly upset. Low emotional IQ on the part of the interviewer.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7bXDfWhAUog

#99 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,647 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:11

There was a picture of 1995 Italian GP podium. Three drivers (Herbert, Häkkinen, Frentzen) very happy and Briatore (for winning constructor) much less so.

Advertisement

#100 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:16

There was a picture of 1995 Italian GP podium. Three drivers (Herbert, Häkkinen, Frentzen) very happy and Briatore (for winning constructor) much less so.

Yes, Johnny Herbert was extremely happy on that podium indeed.

gettyimages-1216455.jpg

Edited by AnttiK, 13 September 2019 - 12:19.