Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2019 Firestone Grand Prix of Monterey... aka IndyCar Wars Episode XVII: Return of the Seca

• Please log in to reply
913 replies to this topic

Poll: INDYCAR! (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Who gon' win this championship?

1. Josef Newgarden, because he's a bit stealth and it worked for Pagenaud (21 votes [35.59%])

Percentage of vote: 35.59%

2. 100th Indianapolis 500 Winner Alexander Rossi, because he needs more words in his name (9 votes [15.25%])

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

3. Simon Pagenaud, because he's a bit stealth and it worked for, er, him (8 votes [13.56%])

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

4. Scott Dixon, because it's inevitable even though it's almost impossible (8 votes [13.56%])

5. I clicked this choice because my eyes don't work anymore due to Pagenaud's livery and I mash my mouse until something happens (8 votes [13.56%])

6. SATO!!!!!111111one (5 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 21:11

PFjyZbU.png

2019 Firestone Grand Prix of Monterey @ WeatherTech Raceway (or Laguna Seca, to you and me)

Well, ladies and gents, it has come to this. We've made it to the end of the all-too-short 2019 IndyCar season. Yes, the season is ending and we haven't even reached the end of September yet. Looks like Billie Joe Armstrong will be missing yet another season finale. Yes, it's too soon. Yes, we all want more races. But this is it for this year. Still, it's shaping up to be a cracker, with four drivers still (mathematically) in contention - it's debateable whether Scott Dixon is still in contention but this is a) IndyCar, and b) Scott Dixon we're talking about, so of course he's still in contention you heathens.

Where are we?

Well, it's the end of the IndyCar season, so we return to the state we've visited for the finale in every season of the DW12 era. It's California, baby,

That didn't help. What colour is the grass?

BROWN

P90365849-bmw-team-rll-weathertech-racew

Hang on, wait a second... that's...

Not Sears Point Infineon Raceway Sonoma Raceway? Nope. This, my friends, is IndyCar's triumphant return to Mazda Raceway WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. To be honest, I don't know what WeatherTech are (apart from the sponsor of the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. Watch that. It's good.) but it sounds like a cover for a supervillain to try and take over the world with some sort of weather-based-death-ray-type-thing so we'll just assume the best. Anyway, it's been 15 years since American Open-Wheel Racing (read: ChampCar) last visited these hallowed grounds, so it'll make a nice change for us to see some different brown, won't it?

Schedule for the weekend's events (it's bumper!)

Times are UTC -7, so add 8 hours for the UK / 9 hours for Western/Central Europe.

Friday 20 Sep

08:45 - 09:15 - USF2000 Practice

09:30 - 10:15 - Indy Lights Practice

10:30 - 11:15 - IndyCar Practice 1

11:30 - 12:00 - Indy Pro 2000 Practice

12:15 - 13:15 - IndyCar Autograph Session

13:30 - 14:00 - Indy Lights / Indy Pro 2000 Autograph Session

14:10 - 14:40 - USF2000 Autograph Session

14:10 - 14:55 - IndyCar Practice 2

15:10 - 15:40 - IndyCar Pitstop Practice

15:55 - 16:25 - Indy Lights Race 1 Qualification

16:40 - 17:00 - USF2000 Race 1 Qualification

17:15 - 17:35 - Indy Pro 2000 Race 1 Qualification

Saturday 21 Sep

08:40 - 09:00 - USF2000 Race 2 Qualification

09:15 - 09:45 - Indy Lights Race 2 Qualification

10:00 - 10:45 - IndyCar Practice 3

11:00 - 11:20 - Indy Pro 2000 Race 2 Qualification

13:35 - 14:50 - IndyCar Qualification

15:00 - 15:45 - Indy Lights Race 1

16:00 - 16:40 - Indy Pro 2000 Race 1

16:55 - 17:35 - USF2000 Race 1

Sunday 22 Sep

09:05 - 10:10 - Indy Lights Race 2

10:25 - 11:05 - USF2000 Race 2

11:30 - 11:40 - Driver Introductions

12:00 - 14:15 - IndyCar Firestone Grand Prix of Monterey

15:15 - 16:05 - Indy Pro 2000 Race 2

More facts about the track please

0ysoWeQ.png

Length: 2.238 mi / 3.602 km / 1947.03 Froods

Turns: 11 (arguably more)

Wiggliness: Depends where you are on track

Track Record: Officially, 1:07.722 by Hélio Castroneves in 2000. Unofficially, 1:05.786 by something called a "Marc Gené" in a "Ferrari"

Last winner: In what? A1GP? Salvador Duran. The 2004 race was won by Patrick Carpentier. The last race under the name "IndyCar" happened in 1996 and was won by a pineapple...

1996, eh?

...we're not going to get through this without some allusion to it, are we?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cBthxGThBkc

Don't expect more of that. Do expect more Herta.

What are the championship permutations?

This'll probably explain it better than I can.

This is all relatively tame, Frood. I expected less "actual facts" and more "I belong in a padded cell" from you. Could you, maybe, give us a quick look back at 2019 but in the very loose guise of a famous film franchise that probably isn't as good as you thought the idea was about two months ago when you had it?

...fine. You reap what you sow.

nohxN06.png

PpUhwVc.png

EPISODE XVII

RETURN OF THE SECA

It is the end of the season. The imperious PENSKITH EMPIRE has sought to gain control of the galaxy, using all their significant firepower and the best engineers available. The relentless EMPEROR PALPENSKE has dispatched his top general, GRAND MOFF JONEW, along with the galaxy’s most-feared supermarket game store proprietor DARTH BLINDLIGHTER to Laguna Seca, on the planet California, in order to claim what is rightfully theirs. Not to be outgunned, California has sent its own defence in the shape of the swashbuckling smuggler pilot, ALEX ROSSOLO - himself is being pursued by a relentless bounty hunter known simply as THE ICEMAN; a man both respected and feared for his ability to always bring home his prize. Laguna Seca will soon be a battleground for the ages, and only one faction will prevail…

The story so far...

Episodes I - V: A NEW HOPE…?

EPISODE I took place on the swampy planet Florida, namely the city of St. Petersburg. A heroic young Force-sensitive from the planet Hoth known only as Frozenqvist was discovered and burst onto the Indycar Wars scene in his first (pod)race. Freed from slavery on planet Europe, this hotshot looked like he could take planet Florida by storm. After a tough fight, he was eventually overhauled - it was Jonew and the Empire who took the first spoils of war, followed home by the ever-present Iceman. Maybe Frozenqvist could be A New Hope...

mI3rAEM.png

Grand Moff Jonew likes good food, long walks on the beach and blowing up planets in front of his boss's daughter

EPISODE II moved to places never seen before - Austin, the weird and wonderful capital of planet Texas. Here we saw a youngling fulfilling his potential - with Pato Obi-Ward pulling off some stunning racing, and another youngling emerge from the shadow of his Indycar Wars general father; with Colt-On Herta managing to repel the might of Grand Moff Jonew to take a crucial advantage and become the youngest winner in series history. Meanwhile, the Empire’s hapless comic relief oddity Will-Will Power fell out of contention after suffering his own mechanical mishaps. Maybe Herta could be A New Hope…

xKX4CKW.png

Don't try spinning, that's not a good trick

EPISODE III, on planet Alabama saw a crushing victory from an unlikely source - loveable robo-rogue S4-T0. The diminutive droid bested the Iceman’s efforts and took an almost unchallenged victory, wowing the galaxy (and this forum, of course). Droids don’t even need a barber. Could this unlikely little droid have been A New Hope?

zG6VfbG.png

EPISODE IV saw our first look at planet California; and on his home planet, Alex Rossolo finally made his mark. Just as the previous week was dominated by S4-T0, Rossolo was rarely headed around the streets of Long Beach. Episode IV was more memorable for a fracas between the usually unflappable Iceman and rebel ship captain Rahal Antillies, a man who is literally married to The Force. The Iceman eventually took his bounty, albeit with much protest from Captain Rahal. All the while, Grand Moff Jonew was lurking, looking to make up points as stealthily as possible.  It seems as though destiny has made Rossolo A New Hope...

QdMgdSv.png

A scruffy-looking nerf-herder

EPISODE V of course saw the action move back to Galactic Capital, Indianapolis. The Iceman had had his steely resolve focussed on galactic events leading up to this point and finally made a break to try and capture some silverware for himself. The forces of the Empire fought back again - however, in the guise of the hitherto anonymous Darth Blindlighter; though quite how a man with a hideously radioactive ship can be undercover is anyone’s guess. Iceman and Blindlighter fought an intense dogfight, with Blindlighter eventually winning out in what was one of the best races of the season. Just behind them, a being known as Jack Harvey and a youngling under the tutelage of the wise old Master Yo’naan had their own brilliant results. Had the Galaxy found A New Hope…?

ZGRJE1x.png

Don't look directly at his lightsaber. Or his face.

Episode VI: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

EPISODE VI is the jewel in the crown (and there aren't any Ewoks in sight). The biggest race on the calendar. The Brickyard. All the news surrounded one man - Kylo Kaiser, who qualified for the Indy 500 at the expense of Carlin's Max Reebo (-imum Hairgel) Chilton and Obi-Ward, along with some other backmarker. In the race, he put it in the wall. Never mind, young Kylo. The race itself was red-flagged late on after a coming together between a furious Rahal Antillies and pod-racing bad boy Sebulbastien. As such, it came down to a thrilling 14-lap dogfight at the end between Rossolo and Blindlighter, with the latter edging home by two tenths of a second to bring yet another Baby, er, Borg (I know, I know) to Emperor Palpenske. S4-T0 followed them home in another display of fortitude from the durable droid.

B3z0kSy.png

UNLIMITED (WILL) POWER

Episodes VII - XI: A ROSSOLO STORY

Episodes VII and VIII took place on the gritty streets of planet Michigan's Detroit. The first event was rained off after just over half distance, after another tough fight between between victor Grand Moff Jonew and Alex Rossolo, with S4-T0 again trailing in 3rd. The race was a disaster for championship hopefuls The Iceman and Will-Will Power, with the former uncharacteristically crashing out and the latter suffering more embarrassment by having wheely bad issues after a botched pit stop. The second episode at Detroit was a role reversal: this time, The Iceman took his first win of the season and Power recovered to finish a strong 3rd; instead, Jonew, Rossolo and Blindlighter were all in the wars against their compatriots - and each other! Meanwhile, 2nd place went to Marcus Ericsson who is Swedish and not a Finn. That's about the only Star Wars reference I could work into that. He's a bit vanilla.

5dNIWqB.png

Ice, ice, baby

Episode IX took us back to planet Texas, and back to the main protagonists of the season: Alex Rossolo and Grand Moff Jonew. At first it seemed like another strong race for S4-T0, but after a navigation error he managed to instead mow down his mechanics like he was hunting womp rats in his T-16. One by one, the other drivers fell to the wayside, including a spectacular clash between boy wonder Herta and the Iceman. The mighty Empire pulled off a magnificent strategy for Jonew and he held off Rossolo to the end, with Rahal Antillies eventually prevailing in 3rd.

Episode X at Road America was an uneventful affair, with Rossolo dominating the screen time just like he had way back in Episode IV. He led all but one lap and finished over 30 seconds ahead of Will-Will Power, with Jonew coming home a quiet 3rd which saw his championship lead shrink considerably.

Jtzsizm.png

When 900 millennia you reach, look as badly photoshopped you will not, hmm?

Episode XI - Planet Canada is a strange place full of polite, lovely people and impolite, awful geese. It was also the setting for Episode XI, and it was here that Darth Blindlighter got his revenge. After a quiet few races, the fluorescent-faced Frenchman finally fought to a fird fictory of the season. The race was more notable for the return of Will-Will Power to his comic relief ways - first, getting up to no good with Rahal Antillies and a taxi driver at the first corner and later binning it in the same corner on the last lap. The Iceman followed Blindlighter home, having never quite gotten the chance to attack through the traffic. Rossolo finished 3rd and Jonew 4th, shrinking the championship gap again to 4 points.

Episodes XII - XVI: RISE (AND FALL) OF THE ICEMAN

Episode XII saw the championship move to the agricultural wasteland of planet Iowa. Will-Will Power dominated at the start of proceedings until team-mate Jonew eventually overhauled him. A rain delay soon followed, after which the Empire's speeders ran 1-2-3. The race also saw a starring role for one San Tico, as beloved a character in Europe as The Last Jedi's Rose Tico. Still, he had shown moves earlier in the season and Iowa saw him make some bold moves on Alex Rossolo. Things started to unravel for the Empire as Blindlighter fell back into the pack and the comic relief continued for Power as he got a stop/go for improper pit lane entry, or, er, docking procedure. Something like that. Jonew wouldn't be overhauled, but a brilliant strategy for the Iceman saw him up into 2nd after a slow start. Rossolo had a quiet race and the championship opened up once more.

Episode XIII - to the centre of the planet Ohio! The closest finish of the season! For a long time, it looked as though Frozenqvist would finally take his first win of the season, especially after some forceful moves on people like Will-Will Power - alas, his team was outmanoeuvred by, er, his team. More specifically, the team of his own team-mate The Iceman. An exciting final lap saw the two team-mates almost come together as the Iceman's tyres faded at the end of the race and Frozenqvist fought as bravely as he could! At the same time, Grand Moff Jonew staged a last-lap attack on Ryan Hunter-Rey which ended in disaster - for the Penskith! The championship closed up due to Jonew's last lap error...

The less said about Episode XIV, the better. We're not going to start this discourse again... Either way, rain stopped play before the chequered flag. The win eventually went to the hapless Power, who finally had something go right. Podiums for the Iceman and Blindlighter along with a decent result for Jonew made the retirement for Rossolo a particularly painful one.

Episode XV - Crunch time for the season; but an early shower for the Iceman, who fell out of contention with mechanical gremlins early on. It looked like the race would be between non-championship contending team-mates San Tico and Sebulbastien; unfortunately, for the not-quite-as-radioactively-coloured-as-Blindlighter Frenchman, he would end up in the wall before the night was done. San Tico would eventually be caught out by the late yellow and the ensuing strategy games - strategy games which eventually saw an unlikely podium made up of S4-T0, Ed Carpenter and the wise old Master Yo'naan. A quiet day for all the other championship contenders, with Blindlighter taking over 2nd in the championship with a 5th place compared to Rossolo's 13th.

Episode XVI - Our final stop before The Return of the Seca. A comedy of errors in the early stages from drivers who should know better - Rahal Antillies spearing a good number of cars on Lap 1 and Hunter-Rey bumbling into the back of Jack Harvey after trying to defend from his own team-mate - saw a race littered with early cautions. It was Colt-On Herta who lead the initial stages of the race, the strongest he had done since Austin. The Iceman would eventually take over the lead but lose it almost immediately with a battery issue, essentially curtailing his championship chances. The fight eventually came down to Power, Frozenqvist and Rossolo - and that was the order they finished in after a late caution.

ItiySRv.png

F9sNeJK.png

Edited by Frood, 18 September 2019 - 23:31.

Advertisement

#2 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 21:46

Amazing. Just amazing! :clap:

#3 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 21:55

An OP more than worthy of a amazing season and series. Cheers Frood; you made me actually like Star Wars. I lost it at Emperor Palpenske and I literally stared at that Darth Pagenaud 'shop for a straight minute.

I am so thrilled that I cannot wait for this; it'll be a blast with y'all :clap: Modern day Indycar at one of my top 5 all time favorite tracks. Pfffffff, S I G N M E U P

Edited by OvDrone, 18 September 2019 - 21:59.

#4 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 22:37

Okay, that's the post of the year right there! :up:

#5 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,803 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 23:22

DRACONE

#6 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 23:27

Bar.

Raised.

#7 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 23:27

Whoops. Forgot to put Jango Dixon in there.

I'm actually not around for the race as I'm in Barcelona, so I'll have to catch up when I'm back.

#8 paulb

paulb

• 11,260 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 00:07

Thanks Frood. Like Ov, I can now find something about Star Wars to like.

So many winning moments. Imagine how S4-T0 could be monetized. Bazinga.

Permasmile.

#9 shotcaller

shotcaller

• 296 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 00:15

I was there for that A1GP race. SNOW on the ground.

#10 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 00:48

Brilliant OP!

I'd love Rossi to steal it but highly doubt it. 

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:35

Working during the race but if I can get enough cash out of the ATM the bus driver says he’ll get us satellite......

432-ACF7-C-5847-43-A0-B3-A2-F26-E9073-EA

Wish me luck.
Jp

EDIT: Livestream replay of the Contenders Q&A
https://youtu.be/vg3soTuRoLc

Edited by jonpollak, 19 September 2019 - 04:16.

#12 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:01

I feel like they should rename the Corkscrew the Zanardi Straight...  :drunk:

#13 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:16

I feel like they should rename the Corkscrew the Zanardi Straight...  :drunk:

Or just 'the Corners'.

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:57

508-B5-B57-8-DCA-4-D20-9-B9-B-BA0010-ADE
Jp

#15 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:23

^ that's one unhealthy diet there

#16 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,118 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:23

OMFG Froodie... this is the REDUCED version?  I'll have to take half a day off just to do it justice and read it all in great detail!  :clap:

#17 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,648 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:35

What a fantastic OP. Why can't the season be stretched 1-2 months. Now we have to wait so long for another one.

#18 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:08

Brilliant OP!

I'd love Rossi to steal it but highly doubt it. 

The last couple of races doesn't fill me with much confidence either but quali will be crucial. If Rossi could get on the front row with Newgarden slightly further back, it's game on. Reverse the positions and it'll look pretty dire... 

#19 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,550 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:39

Brilliant OP. One of the best I’ve seen this decade.

I’m excited for Indycar back at the old Dry Lagoon. Hopefully we get a decent race.

Advertisement

#20 paulb

paulb

• 11,260 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:19

I would not be surprised if GRAND MOFF JONEW crushes it this weekend with pole and flag-to-flag. ALEX ROSSOLO is also capable of that kind of a weekend.

ALEX does have a solid chance, but he also needs Will Will Power and Darth Blindlighter to have less than stellar races.

It will also be interesting to see if spoilers other than THE ICEMAN, for example, emerge.

#21 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:01

Bummer. 

Have a nice shiny new GT car.

My co-driver is the world's fastest Cuban

Have Hwy 1 to drive it on from LA.

Have a room.

Have tickets.

Have Sciatic attack.

Arrrgh

#22 paulb

paulb

• 11,260 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:09

^Oh, nuts! Are you down for the weekend?

#23 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:15

^Oh, nuts! Are you down for the weekend?

Oh, yeah. Even with drugs I can only stagger about 20 feet at a time.

Brutal.

I'm down for on sitting in front of the TV though for a good weekend of racing. 

#24 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:16

Brutal.

Sorry to hear it, bud. :( Hope you get on the mend soon.

#25 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:26

I'd dearly love Pag to do it but I think that's incredibly unlikely. 

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:30

Hope it abates soon Double D.
Jp

#27 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:56

Despite my concerns about overtaking, I am really excited for this final showdown.  And even more excited now thanks to this awesome OP!

#28 paulb

paulb

• 11,260 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 15:59

Brutal.

Argh. I would hope the race sucks so you don't miss anything, but I don't want to jinx loki's weekend. :wave:

I too hope you heal quickly.

#29 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 16:29

If Laguna Seca doesn't have much passing anyway, why not shake it up?  I have a silly dream of seeing the track changed back to the original layout which didn't have the infield area, i.e. turn 2 connected directly to turn 5.  But wait there's more!  Then I would rebuild the area from "turn' 1 to turn 6 as a low-banked half-oval.  The drag race out of turn 11 would continue as the drivers go over the hill on pit straight and into the banked turn, trying to pass high or low before turn 6.  Turn 6 might need changes because of that, I'm not sure yet.  

If I was a billionaire I would do this kind of important philanthropic work (alongside solving hunger and disease of course).  Heck, if I was a thousandaire I might at least commission someone to build this for simracing.  But for now I will dream silly dreams and perhaps inspire the right people to get it done

#30 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 16:45

If Laguna Seca doesn't have much passing anyway, why not shake it up?  I have a silly dream of seeing the track changed back to the original layout which didn't have the infield area, i.e. turn 2 connected directly to turn 5.  But wait there's more!  Then I would rebuild the area from "turn' 1 to turn 6 as a low-banked half-oval.  The drag race out of turn 11 would continue as the drivers go over the hill on pit straight and into the banked turn, trying to pass high or low before turn 6.  Turn 6 might need changes because of that, I'm not sure yet.  

My man, Laguna Seca is in California. The permitting alone would take millions, and the sheer amount of lawsuits by NIMBY's would keep a herd of attorneys busy for 10 years before you moved a scoop of gravel. For bonus points, it's a county park, so there would also be a herd of sandal wearing patchouli stinking local politicians having you fund their personal projects like save the web footed skink or seagull rehab facilities.

Nice thought though...

#31 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 17:11

My man, Laguna Seca is in California. The permitting alone would take millions, and the sheer amount of lawsuits by NIMBY's would keep a herd of attorneys busy for 10 years before you moved a scoop of gravel. For bonus points, it's a county park, so there would also be a herd of sandal wearing patchouli stinking local politicians having you fund their personal projects like save the web footed skink or seagull rehab facilities.

Nice thought though...

As a transplant to California and yearly visitor to Monterey county, I am sadly aware of this.  Laguna Seca is already tightly regulated on noise levels and allotted only a couple days per year to exceed the levels... all because of people who built houses near an existing track and then complained about the track.  Ugh, can't much more NIMBY than that!    

The only saving grace of my dream is that it fits in the same spot.  Much of the original track connecting T1 to T5 is still there and used for some parking

#32 DS27

DS27

• 4,688 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 17:21

Why is Fantrax not unlocked till Friday? - i'm sure it's usually open by mid-week.

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,550 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 17:26

Bummer. 

Have a room.

Have tickets.

Have Sciatic attack.

Arrrgh

Get well soon.

#34 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,550 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 17:28

As a transplant to California and yearly visitor to Monterey county, I am sadly aware of this.  Laguna Seca is already tightly regulated on noise levels and allotted only a couple days per year to exceed the levels... all because of people who built houses near an existing track and then complained about the track.  Ugh, can't much more NIMBY than that!    

The only saving grace of my dream is that it fits in the same spot.  Much of the original track connecting T1 to T5 is still there and used for some parking

So I must revise my circuit comparisons and conclude that Laguna Seca is the US answer to Brands Hatch (though many UK circuits suffer such an affliction).

#35 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 17:41

I was there for that A1GP race. SNOW on the ground.

And still there are those that deny global warming....

#36 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 18:10

Just for clarification purposes (since this is the internet, and folks have a tendency to "go to eleven" rather quickly), this is hardly just a California problem. And the problem isn't any worse in California. Noise complaints have gone on all around the U.S. for many years, and as PAYR points out, it's rather common around the UK as well.

#37 FLB

FLB

• 29,876 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 18:38

Canada too, Jim. Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant has that type of problem. It's the major reason why the ChampCar race of 2007 was a one-off.

#38 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 18:53

I remain stuck on

seagull rehab--Esalen?

Really?  For the birds?

#39 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 19:28

Racing ain’t noise.... it’s a symphony !!!!
Stupid do-gooders.
Jp

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 21:11

Thurs morning test times anyone ?

Jp

#41 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 21:56

Thurs morning test times anyone ?

Jp

I'm guessing they are the private possession of Cara Adams at Firestone, although I suppose they always get leaked somehow.

If you're desperate for content, here's three seconds of Herta (not Bryan) in the corkscrew:

https://twitter.com/...795696999809024

#42 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,234 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 23:09

Racing ain’t noise.... it’s a symphony !!!!
Stupid do-gooders.
Jp

https://youtu.be/PFYeP6AXCA4?t=293

#43 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 23:37

No no no....
I meant..... if this was a symphony why is car racing noise?

https://youtu.be/pICA--V9stE

Jp

#44 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,234 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:27

I never thought I’d read an article more awkward than Takuma Sato being named ‘Car of the Year’, but... well...

#45 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:47

Bummer. 

Have a room.

Have tickets.

Have Sciatic attack.

Arrrgh

Acupuncture.

#46 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:13

@indy44 with your hookup, JP:

https://twitter.com/...845100595138561

Colton Herta with 1:10.0 at the top, followed by DJ Willy P and Frosen; Ed Jones and S4-T0 at the bottom with 1:11.4.

I'll be watching the official practices tomorrow on GOOOOLD oh yes.

#47 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:21

Cheers prom.
I found this.
https://www.motorspo...a-test/4544155/

EDIT: Fantrax game demands new update?

45-DB3-EED-EA53-47-E1-8-D13-458-CB306-B9

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 20 September 2019 - 05:07.

#48 paulb

paulb

• 11,260 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:36

I had to update too.

#49 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 15:51

Good weather.  First ICS session in a couple of hours.   USF2000 on track now.  Can see the entrance to Andretti hairpin from inside RV. 

#50 djparky

djparky

• 2,004 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 16:51

Good weather. First ICS session in a couple of hours. USF2000 on track now. Can see the entrance to Andretti hairpin from inside RV.

Have a good weekend...would like to be there...may be in 2020