* * * * * 1 votes

W Series 2020

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 MalcolmC

MalcolmC

• 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 21:00

First earns $250k more than second. Better take it when you can.

But coming 2nd then doing another year, which is likely to yield more prize money, could well be a better overall result. Not guaranteed of course, but some drivers might take the gamble.

Isn't this the standard rule that every "junior" series earning FIA super license points has to follow?  I haven't heard of graduation rules causing issues in other series

At the moment I feel the talent/experience spread is quite large across W-Series entrants so a 2nd placed returning driver would be very likely to do well in the following season. In FIA F2 & F3 the competition is a lot closer so a returning driver is far less certain of success.

I'm not saying the 'battle for 2nd' would occur, and maybe I'm just being cynical about it. Perhaps the competitive nature and desire to win a championship might overcome such long term tactical thinking.

Advertisement

#102 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 46 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:30

Sorry if asked earlier, but why is Katherine Legge participating? It is a bit strange considering the W Series being a feeder series and she already having raced at the highest level. Or am I narrow minded or missing some News that the W Series has changed its reason to why it was conceived?

The is an interesting tweet from her : https://twitter.com/...260927844405249

"I went to Almeria last month to do a few laps in the W Series car, and was impressed! I have some calendar clashes but I wish all at W Series the best"

So, I guess she was just curious to test the car, as she have already another calendar.

And maybe W Series staff was happy to have her as a kind of "benchmark".

#103 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,204 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:50

6 races only again https://twitter.com/...867481411792899

#104 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,965 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:54

They say this is the "initial 6" not the full calendar

#105 Beri

Beri

• 1,748 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:00

I'd say it definitely is. Its entire existence is to propel its drivers on to better, higher profile series.

My point exactly why I said it is a feeder series.
But I didn't know about Legge to be a testdriver only. Good for her. Good for the series as well and good for the young women to get feedback from a renowned woman that has raced in a couple of pinnacle series.

#106 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,637 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 22:22

They say this is the "initial 6" not the full calendar

Hopefully this is right. At least two more would be good. Three or four better still. 

#107 messy

messy

• 3,860 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 22:31

I’d have liked to see Legge racing, because I think she’s a genuine talent at a very high level. Suspect 38 years old or not she’d have had most of them in her pocket. Also rather surprised Eaton made the cut because she’s never really raced single seaters but it’ll be interesting to see how it goes. 

I’m disappointed none of the top twelve have moved on, in all honesty. That’s not a particularly encouraging stat given what this series is trying to do. At least it’s opened a couple of doors for Powell in GT and Chadwick as Williams sim driver, but hopefully the winners will go on to a bit more than that next year. Who knows, there’s still time for someone to get a really plum seat somewhere. I still don’t think Chadwick should have signed up for season 2 but what do I know. The superlicence points speak loudest I guess. 

#108 statman

statman

• 4,900 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 17:57

Chadwick is going to have another go at the Formula Ford Walter Hayes Festival. Oh to be at Silverstone in November. Given the usual torrential rain, I just hope she doesn't shrink.

You're right, seems to have been a huge amount of rain. Not familiar with this trophy but an amazing number of driver participating  :eek:

Chadwick:

Heat 1 of 4 (27 drivers): 8th
Semi-Final (36 drivers): 13th
Final (37 drivers): Retired

#109 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 46 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 18:09

Great news for Alice Powel, according to e-racing365, she will drive for the full season in 2020 Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY series. :clap:

#110 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,467 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 22:44

You're right, seems to have been a huge amount of rain. Not familiar with this trophy but an amazing number of driver participating  :eek:

Chadwick:

Heat 1 of 4 (27 drivers): 8th
Semi-Final (36 drivers): 13th
Final (37 drivers): Retired

It's an amateur event. She wasn't a front runner, but it's always difficult to know what the quality of the car is, and of course the regulars have a slight advantage - though that racing is always fabulously close. Chadwick was punted into a spin then T-boned.

#111 paulb

paulb

• 6,932 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 00:16

Great news for Alice Powel, according to e-racing365, she will drive for the full season in 2020 Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY series. :clap:

Good she is getting a paycheck. The series is terribly boring, imho.

#112 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,637 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:12

Good she is getting a paycheck. The series is terribly boring, imho.

The races were pretty dull and processional, it has to be said. But then they're also adding FE's Attack Mode to the eTrophy this year which should give the races a spice of on-track strategy. 

#113 statman

statman

• 4,900 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:20

Chadwick looking at Japanese F3 for next year:

http://www.formulasc...panese-f3/56349

#114 statman

statman

• 4,900 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:55

Chadwick looking at Japanese F3 for next year:

http://www.formulasc...panese-f3/56349

Here more:

include a move to the rebranded Super Formula Lights category in Japan

plus: She admits that high budgets required mean that the FIA F3 series is out of reach for the time being

https://www.motorspo...lights/4594997/

it also revealed an 8-event calendar for W Series (so far only 6 events have been announced). Rumor has it that it will be 2 event in Northern America, possibly as a support series for F1.

#115 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,325 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:34

If you want an indictment of the way motor sport is run, it is that a spec third tier series is too expensive for someone with half a million quid burning her pockets. 

W Series has the right idea in this respect.  Take all the cars off everyone at the end of every weekend and re-allocate them at the next race.