* * * * * 1 votes

W Series 2020

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#101 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:00

I'd say it definitely is. Its entire existence is to propel its drivers on to better, higher profile series.

My point exactly why I said it is a feeder series.
But I didn't know about Legge to be a testdriver only. Good for her. Good for the series as well and good for the young women to get feedback from a renowned woman that has raced in a couple of pinnacle series.

Advertisement

#102 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,722 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 22:22

They say this is the "initial 6" not the full calendar

Hopefully this is right. At least two more would be good. Three or four better still. 

#103 messy

messy

• 3,986 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 22:31

I’d have liked to see Legge racing, because I think she’s a genuine talent at a very high level. Suspect 38 years old or not she’d have had most of them in her pocket. Also rather surprised Eaton made the cut because she’s never really raced single seaters but it’ll be interesting to see how it goes. 

I’m disappointed none of the top twelve have moved on, in all honesty. That’s not a particularly encouraging stat given what this series is trying to do. At least it’s opened a couple of doors for Powell in GT and Chadwick as Williams sim driver, but hopefully the winners will go on to a bit more than that next year. Who knows, there’s still time for someone to get a really plum seat somewhere. I still don’t think Chadwick should have signed up for season 2 but what do I know. The superlicence points speak loudest I guess. 

#104 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 17:57

Chadwick is going to have another go at the Formula Ford Walter Hayes Festival. Oh to be at Silverstone in November. Given the usual torrential rain, I just hope she doesn't shrink.

You're right, seems to have been a huge amount of rain. Not familiar with this trophy but an amazing number of driver participating  :eek:

Chadwick:

Heat 1 of 4 (27 drivers): 8th
Semi-Final (36 drivers): 13th
Final (37 drivers): Retired

#105 ArcticRacing

ArcticRacing

• 46 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 18:09

Great news for Alice Powel, according to e-racing365, she will drive for the full season in 2020 Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY series. :clap:

#106 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 22:44

You're right, seems to have been a huge amount of rain. Not familiar with this trophy but an amazing number of driver participating  :eek:

Chadwick:

Heat 1 of 4 (27 drivers): 8th
Semi-Final (36 drivers): 13th
Final (37 drivers): Retired

It's an amateur event. She wasn't a front runner, but it's always difficult to know what the quality of the car is, and of course the regulars have a slight advantage - though that racing is always fabulously close. Chadwick was punted into a spin then T-boned.

#107 paulb

paulb

• 6,990 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 00:16

Great news for Alice Powel, according to e-racing365, she will drive for the full season in 2020 Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY series. :clap:

Good she is getting a paycheck. The series is terribly boring, imho.

#108 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,722 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:12

Good she is getting a paycheck. The series is terribly boring, imho.

The races were pretty dull and processional, it has to be said. But then they're also adding FE's Attack Mode to the eTrophy this year which should give the races a spice of on-track strategy. 

#109 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:20

Chadwick looking at Japanese F3 for next year:

http://www.formulasc...panese-f3/56349

#110 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:55

Chadwick looking at Japanese F3 for next year:

http://www.formulasc...panese-f3/56349

Here more:

include a move to the rebranded Super Formula Lights category in Japan

plus: She admits that high budgets required mean that the FIA F3 series is out of reach for the time being

https://www.motorspo...lights/4594997/

it also revealed an 8-event calendar for W Series (so far only 6 events have been announced). Rumor has it that it will be 2 event in Northern America, possibly as a support series for F1.

#111 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,455 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:34

If you want an indictment of the way motor sport is run, it is that a spec third tier series is too expensive for someone with half a million quid burning her pockets. 

W Series has the right idea in this respect.  Take all the cars off everyone at the end of every weekend and re-allocate them at the next race. 

#112 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,533 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:34

Well, it's not like there was a shortage of F3 drivers able to pay the price this year.

The series formerly known as European F3 folded for lack of entries.

#113 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 1,137 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:06

If you want an indictment of the way motor sport is run, it is that a spec third tier series is too expensive for someone with half a million quid burning her pockets.

W Series has the right idea in this respect. Take all the cars off everyone at the end of every weekend and re-allocate them at the next race.

Too expensive, or too expensive to get a good seat?

The inferrence I have seen was the latter, which suggests a sense of entitlement.

But then, this just once again shows one of the many flaws with W. Outside of virtue signalling, it is powerless to actually promote any change.

The issues, faced by most, cost and the lack of available chances, are still going to be there for all regardless of it's existence.

Edited by JavierDeVivre, 19 November 2019 - 10:09.

#114 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,561 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 17:12

The series formerly known as European F3 folded for lack of entries.

Thought that was the one now called                       Formula    Regional                   Europe?

#115 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 18:41

^^

#116 balage06

balage06

• 1,380 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 18:49

I'm not sure if that's good news or not. Feels like an unnecessary sideways move. It's the same car, and Asian F3 is not exactly a popular series, 9 full-time entries in both seasons so far...

#117 messy

messy

• 3,986 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 20:41

Chadwick needs to genuinely move onwards and upwards, not just keep pounding round endlessly in this Taatus in search of Superlicence points. A GP3 seat would be ideal. At some point she needs to come out of this “newly famous in the UK female racing talent” bubble and actually move out of her comfort zone to measure herself properly against other drivers of comparable age and experience. I think she’s good enough.

Edited by messy, 02 December 2019 - 21:07.

#118 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,551 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 21:15

She probably doesn't have money for a good FIA F3 (fka GP3) seat. Winning W-series doesn't convince sponsors you are that level.

#119 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,306 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 21:21

If I keep biting my tongue I might need to add condiments.

Advertisement

#120 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,722 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:50

F3 Asia - a 15 race winter series running from December to February.

That’s a move that’s all about extra seat time and extra experience before the 2020 season if I ever saw one. W Series only had 7 races remember, and seat time is important if you want to be moving on up.

I think that’s smart.

#121 messy

messy

• 3,986 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:14

That’s a move that’s all about extra seat time and extra experience before the 2020 season if I ever saw one. W Series only had 7 races remember, and seat time is important if you want to be moving on up.

I think that’s smart.

To be honest I didn't realise this was a winter series. Makes more sense now. 

So this is a different series to the one she competed for a few rounds in earlier this year? 

#122 balage06

balage06

• 1,380 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:20

To be honest I didn't realise this was a winter series. Makes more sense now. 

So this is a different series to the one she competed for a few rounds in earlier this year? 

Me neither, there were separate winter and regular series this year, but it looks like they converted them into a single championship. But then again, Chadwick competed in the winter series last year already.

Edited by balage06, 03 December 2019 - 08:20.

#123 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 69 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:25

BBC Sport tweeted about this and Joe Saward responded with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/...2651353088?s=20

What does he have against Jamie Chadwick? Yet again he comes across as a grumpy old man.

#124 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 546 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:33

What does he have against Jamie Chadwick? Yet again he comes across as a grumpy old man.

I don't think he has anything against Jamie but more against the virtue signalling of the BBC and the W Series in general.

#125 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,455 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:57

She probably doesn't have money for a good FIA F3 (fka GP3) seat. Winning W-series doesn't convince sponsors you are that level.

Yet Tatiana Calderon somehow got sponsors despite a far less impressive CV than Chadwick. 

#126 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:19

Chadwick needs to genuinely move onwards and upwards, not just keep pounding round endlessly in this Taatus in search of Superlicence points. A GP3 seat would be ideal. At some point she needs to come out of this “newly famous in the UK female racing talent” bubble and actually move out of her comfort zone to measure herself properly against other drivers of comparable age and experience. I think she’s good enough.

you make it sound like she's only done W series in her career...

#127 huggybear

huggybear

• 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:20

What does he have against Jamie Chadwick? Yet again he comes across as a grumpy old man

Joe's properly set in his ways, ways that include a fair bit of sexism. Dude once claimed that female members of the F1 paddock were wrong when they said the paddock wasn't particularly woman friendly in some ways, because he hadn't seen any sexism in the paddock.

#128 balage06

balage06

• 1,380 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:21

She's been stuck on entry level series for years though...

#129 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:22

I think that’s smart.

Indeed, if only others bother to read the press release:

It is important for me to use this series as part of my testing and development programme to ensure that I am race-fit for whatever 2020 throws at me.

She will miss out on pre-season testing though, so she jumps straight in at the first race. That can be pretty tough.

#130 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,722 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:31

Jamie is obviously a naturally fast driver but lacks experience compared to the competition she would face in F3 or F2. Honestly, I would not be happy to see her vaulted up that high before she was ready. It would just be a waste of everybody’s time with potentially quite negative repercussions.

I understand Saward’s fundamental point about the BBC mention to be honest, but man does he just come across as bitter, grumpy and insecure about societal change. And calling sexism? He should take a look around his own paddock.

Edited by Ben1445, 03 December 2019 - 09:32.

#131 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 1,137 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:27

Joe is correct, it is sexism, but because it is sexism that favours women it is seen as acceptable.

He has just pointed out something blatantly obvious though, that those who shout the loudest about 'equality' are often the biggest hypocrites when it comes to practicing it.

#132 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,743 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:40

It is sexism, but then again it's natural to report on somebody people tend to care more about. We see this even with men. Alonso moving to Rallye Dakar or Indy 500 creates more headlines than for anyone else, for example.

#133 messy

messy

• 3,986 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:00

She's spent two years driving pretty much this same car across multiple series starting with British F3 last year. There comes a time to move up surely. 

Edited by messy, 03 December 2019 - 12:02.

#134 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,643 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:05

Too expensive, or too expensive to get a good seat?

The inferrence I have seen was the latter, which suggests a sense of entitlement.

Do me a favour, it's a sense of wisdom, not a sense of entitlement. Your bash is totally unwarranted. She's got good people around her and they're trying to guide her career upwards not sideways and backwards. 

#135 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:25

She's spent two years driving pretty much this same car across multiple series starting with British F3 last year. There comes a time to move up surely. 

so? Silver spoon kids occupy a lot of F3/F2 seats without ever "moving up" and they even have a worse racing CV than Chadwick. She does whatever she wants. She's a British GT4 Champion, MRF Champion and now a W Series Champion.

She seems to be very happy with her career so far without a rich daddy that buys her seats.

Edited by statman, 03 December 2019 - 12:25.

#136 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,722 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:38

And a Nurburgring 24 class winner as an official driver of Aston Martin.

#137 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,455 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:38

It's a bit difficult.  In an ideal merit-based world F2 would have kicked Sean Gelael out long ago but he seems to be rooted in F2 forever simply because he can afford it.  So there's one place missing.  Add to that Boschung and Deletraz and others.

And then add to that Grosjean and Magnussen and Stroll a step up from that and you see there is a sort of shiteberg blocking most merit-based moves in lower formulae. 

It's not as if IndyCar is that viable an operation either.

Once upon a time an entire team could move up between formulae, but the franchise systems in F1 and F2 have had a sclerotic effect.  There are 40 possible slots.  Go back 30 years and there were twice as many.  And that's not taking into account sportscar racing, which right now is at a nadir.

Chadwick may have an additional problem, in that her Williams role might require single-seaters, rather than baling out for GTs.

#138 messy

messy

• 3,986 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:39

so? Silver spoon kids occupy a lot of F3/F2 seats without ever "moving up" and they even have a worse racing CV than Chadwick. She does whatever she wants. She's a British GT4 Champion, MRF Champion and now a W Series Champion.

She seems to be very happy with her career so far without a rich daddy that buys her seats.

Exactly the reason why she should be looking to move up the ladder surely?

I'm really not sure what you're getting at tbh. 

I suppose my concern is that competing in these endless 'F3' level series is becoming a means of gathering SL points the 'cheap way' 

I'm not saying moving up the ladder is easy either, particularly in financial terms. 

Edited by messy, 03 December 2019 - 12:40.

#139 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 372 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:40

Joe is correct, it is sexism, but because it is sexism that favours women it is seen as acceptable.

He has just pointed out something blatantly obvious though, that those who shout the loudest about 'equality' are often the biggest hypocrites when it comes to practicing it.

I think it's pretty piss weak to draw the sexism card over a nothing news article. There, what's relevant is whether it's newsworthy or not. If women are relatively rare in open wheel racing then it's not out of this world to consider her move newsworthy.

Advertisement

#140 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,618 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:49

I don't think he has anything against Jamie but more against the virtue signalling of the BBC and the W Series in general.

pejorative neologism.... very British..
Personally I’d rather they talk about the newbies coming into the series... if they are honest about promoting this venture.

More importantly..
hey BBC...What’s Kat Legge up to these days ?
They don’t even know who that is do they. ?
Jp

#141 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,533 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 14:13

She has "measured herself properly against other drivers of comparable age and experience" in all the other series she's competed in. She is one of many good but not outstanding drivers to have competed in British F3 (for example). You could say the same things of Enaam Ahmed, Jamie Caroline, Billy Monger, Linus Lundqvist, Nicolai Kjaergaard. To move up you need rare talent, huge funding or both, and by definition not everyone can be exceptional. The pyramid narrows.

#142 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,306 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 15:30

Case in point.

#143 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,038 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 16:39

More importantly..
hey BBC...What’s Kat Legge up to these days ?
They don’t even know who that is do they. ?
Jp

I think they do:

https://www.bbc.co.u...rsport/48328333

but perhaps they need to brush up on their knowledge of the likes of Camille du Gast, Eliška Junková et al, as they reckon the first female driver in racing was Hellé Nice.  ;)

#144 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,618 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 16:55

Thanks Timmy.
Jp

#145 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,817 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 17:01

I think they do:

https://www.bbc.co.u...rsport/48328333

but perhaps they need to brush up on their knowledge of the likes of Camille du Gast, Eliška Junková et al, as they reckon the first female driver in racing was Hellé Nice.  ;)

Imagine the stick a modern female driver would get nowadays if they had Helle Nice’s background.

#146 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 475 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 17:47

How bad are the people managing these girls?
A pretty face with zero skills other than social media can rack up a huge pay check just holding up products to her mobile phone.
But the most talented women, WITH personality, in a many billion euro sport, cannot find funding for a proper F3 seat.

Do we need someone to figure out how to market young women who race race? It it THAT complicated?
Show their faces, their personalities, skills are needed to be a racer. Let them show up to all kinds of events. Participate in game shows, especially physical ones. Be a TV personality, basically.

Making a call to a company saying that you represent this girl who's going places in a sport where the best get paid many millions and the rest are bringing sponsors...not the best proposition.
Build a friggin' personal brand for such girls! People who are not into racing should still recognise Jamie in the shopping mall. Dont make it for sponsors to figure this stuff out. Create a valuable brand for sponsors to want to be a part of!

#147 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,561 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 17:48

Imagine the stick a modern female driver would get nowadays if they had Helle Nice’s background.

Background?

#148 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,817 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 17:57

Background?

Helle Nice was a dancer before she got into racing, but during that time she boosted her income with nude modelling. She also seemed to get a long way by sleeping with men who could further her career.

#149 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,306 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 19:16

How bad are the people managing these girls?
A pretty face with zero skills other than social media can rack up a huge pay check just holding up products to her mobile phone.
But the most talented women, WITH personality, in a many billion euro sport, cannot find funding for a proper F3 seat.

Do we need someone to figure out how to market young women who race race? It it THAT complicated?
Show their faces, their personalities, skills are needed to be a racer. Let them show up to all kinds of events. Participate in game shows, especially physical ones. Be a TV personality, basically.

Making a call to a company saying that you represent this girl who's going places in a sport where the best get paid many millions and the rest are bringing sponsors...not the best proposition.
Build a friggin' personal brand for such girls! People who are not into racing should still recognise Jamie in the shopping mall. Dont make it for sponsors to figure this stuff out. Create a valuable brand for sponsors to want to be a part of!

Very good points.

The only bit I don't see is this being the fault of managers. This is a men's sport that's slow to include women on "their" turf, it's evident everywhere you look and has been over my 56 years in and around this sport. 

I see it as a sporting version of most men never welcoming their own wives into their Man Cave garages when them and the guys are wanting some guy time. The sociology and psychology of women struggling in racing is about as easy to see as most anything else we choose to not ignore.

And for crying out loud, can this thread ever mature to a point of being about the W Series and its drivers, instead of the constant man-bitching about the other BS that's been posted to death?

Get over it, Guys.

#150 BRG

BRG

• 17,200 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 20:41

Well, if she wins this Asian series, it will prove that she is better than Dan Ticktum who famously flopped massively in it - even after declaring how easy it was going to be to win it.