Photo

1964 Goodwood TT Surtees crash photo?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 21:44

Has anyone here seen - or do they hold - any photographs showing the 1964 Goodwood TT collision at St Mary's ess-bend involving John Surtees's No 26 NART Ferrari 250GTO/64 and Tony Lanfranchi's No 10 Elva-BMW?

It's an important incident since it left John heavily concussed, just one week before that year's vital Italian GP F1 World Championship round (in which he promptly started from pole position and won.

And frustratingly - in all my years of trawling through racing photography - I cannot recall ever having seen any coverage of the incident, nor of the damaged cars afterwards...and that's what interests me now.

DCN 

Advertisement

#2 wheadon1985

wheadon1985

• 124 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:53

Hi Doug.

We have a photo of this incident in the BARC office.

It's a good one of a dazed Surtees lying on the bonnet post accident...!

You'll need to speak to Trevor Swettenham for access. Drop me a private message and I can let you have his contact details.

Regards

David

Edited by wheadon1985, 23 September 2019 - 14:12.

#3 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 13:53

Doug and David, if you can obtain permission many of us in the forum would be interested in seeing the BARC photo as well as any others.

Many thanks.

Jack.

#4 wheadon1985

wheadon1985

• 124 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 14:16

We are currently working with a UK based University to eventually digitise the BARC Photo archive for future prosperity and make it available online to all.

The Surtees photo from Goodwood is a Daily Express photo which is where we must of obtained our photo from so unfortunately I don't have permission to reproduce on here.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 21:24

Anything of Geoff Sykes in action during his time with the BARC?

That could be of use to us. Oh, and I hope the ensign doesn't see your post...

#6 MCS

MCS

• 4,688 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:23

Oh, and I hope the ensign doesn't see your post...

:lol:  We will see...

In the meantime, for what it's worth, I have noticed some pictures from the 1964 TT on the internet and, as per usual, if you try different search engines then the pictures aren't all the same.  Nothing new there of course, nor any picture of use for Doug, yet...

#7 RCH

RCH

• 1,139 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:32

Looking up this race I was puzzled as to why the likes of Surtees, Ginther and Ireland were driving GTOs rather than prototypes. Indeed I seem to remember being puzzled at the time. Then it clicked, despite not being terribly concerned about the World Championship which was for GT cars Ferrari was nevertheless putting his best efforts into seeing that his favoured private entrants were doing their best to beat the Cobra hordes..

Edited by RCH, 27 September 2019 - 09:33.