- - - - -

McLaren-Mercedes Part 2?

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#401 Calorus

Calorus

• 3,944 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 20:51

Sorry. I don't think it works like that these days!  My speculation is the Merc a package designed from the ground up for everything  to work in harmony. Same as the Ferrari. I reckon the days a team sourcing engines elsewhere and proceeding to win..Looong gone. That is why Ron Dennis went courting Honda and ditched Merc.Fact that didn't prove a success is neither here nor there. The premise stands though

That's exactly how it works for every one other than Merc, Ferrari, Red Bull and Renault. But if Mercedes closed Brackley (the premise of this point) they'd still work with their fastest customer to design their engines and that customer would be Red Bull Racing.

Advertisement

#402 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,727 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 20:56

Convenient to hang on Ron’s word when it suits - it’s no longer possible to win without “works” engine - but rubbish him for his inexplicably arrogant decisions. Sure, it’s more straightforward to have your own PU with integration being the top priority but Ron took some very bloody minded decisions at times. I think McLaren will have a much tougher opponent in Merc than Renault in 2019/20 but I think the fight will be fair.

#403 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,966 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 21:37

That's exactly how it works for every one other than Merc, Ferrari, Red Bull and Renault. But if Mercedes closed Brackley (the premise of this point) they'd still work with their fastest customer to design their engines and that customer would be Red Bull Racing.

In which case a defacto works team with all the bells and whistles others won't have.

Edited by Fatgadget, 10 October 2019 - 21:40.

#404 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,032 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 22:50

Brand alignment with a prestige car company with a rich racing pedigree is the reason why Merc prefers McLaren over a soft drink brand with shouty advertising for teenagers and pool parties.

Sounds a bit harsh but makes sense from a branding aspect

Edited by Nobody, 10 October 2019 - 22:53.

#405 shure

shure

• 1,259 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:05

Convenient to hang on Ron’s word when it suits - it’s no longer possible to win without “works” engine - but rubbish him for his inexplicably arrogant decisions. Sure, it’s more straightforward to have your own PU with integration being the top priority but Ron took some very bloody minded decisions at times. I think McLaren will have a much tougher opponent in Merc than Renault in 2019/20 but I think the fight will be fair.

Ron's not the only one to say it, to be fair.  Marko also did, as did Zak even when he was considering ditching Honda.  And on the evidence of the last few years they've not been wrong, have they?

On balance Ron's probably made more good decisions that bad ones.  Under him McLaren were one of the top teams for decades and they started really going to pot when Whitmarsh took over.  Yes he was arrogant and yes that arrogance cost him dearly in Newey, Kimi and Lewis, but OTOH his track record overall is pretty impressive so I think it would be foolhardy to simply dismiss him.

It's only hindsight that makes his decision to go with Honda a bad one.  And he can't really be blamed for their shoddy performance.  If they had produced something even remotely like what they have in the back of the Red Bull McLaren would likely still be a front runner today and things would look very different

#406 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 406 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:29

Have Honda even signed a deal with RedBull for 2021 yet? There was talk awhile back about Honda's commitment to the sport going forward.

Wasn't there a recent report (I think it was AMuS?) that said Red Bull and Honda had signed a five year exclusive deal.