- - - - -

Toro Rosso to change name to AlphaTauri

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:04

Toro Rosso has requested to change the team name for 2020.

https://www.autospor...change-for-2020

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:11

Red Bull has a Fashion Brand?

#3 Winterapfel

Winterapfel

• 460 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:18

Toro Rosso has requested to change the team name for 2020.

Let the livery speculation begin!!

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:19

Let’s hope they’re more Benetton than Andrea Moda.

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:21

Looks black&white

http://ksl-projects....ftzug-Claim.jpg

Edited by Marklar, 28 September 2019 - 08:22.

#6 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:25

A black and white car would be welcome. Maybe something like the ART livery on F3. White top, black sidepods. That's a little generic but I trust Red Bull to make it striking and there's nothing similar in the grid at the moment.

#7 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:26

Croft in the event that the next car is a **** box: “AlphaTauri? They’re so slow they might as well start from Alpha CEN-Tauri!”

They haven’t thought that one through have they?

Edited by wj_gibson, 28 September 2019 - 08:26.

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:27

You know you want to:

troussard.jpg

#9 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:51

The Toro Rosso Formula 1 entry will change its name to AlphaTauri next season if rival teams approve a request to do so.
Now, Autosport sources have confirmed the team has requested to be rebranded in the name of Red Bull's AlphaTauri fashion label, which was launched two years ago.

So two alphas on the grid in 2020. As I was heretofore unaware Red Bull even had a fashion brand, I guess this is minor victory on their part.

I fully expect to keep on calling the team Toro Rosso for at least half of next season. I still can’t get my head around Force India being Racing Point.

#10 Anja

Anja

• 10,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:58

Sounds dumb. 

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:59

Team Buzz Lightyear and beyond.
Jp

#12 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:00

Crap name.

#13 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,084 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:03

Sure why not. Doesn't make a huge difference. 

#14 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,084 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:05

Red Bull has a Fashion Brand?

Well we all know about it now. Even if they don't actually end up naming the team that, engaged F1 fans have now heard of it. Marketing mission has been successful already. 

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:06

So two alphas on the grid in 2020. As I was heretofore unaware Red Bull even had a fashion brand, I guess this is minor victory on their part.
I fully expect to keep on calling the team Toro Rosso for at least half of next season. I still can’t get my head around Force India being Racing Point.

Oh yeah. We'll have Alfa and Alpha.

That’s a really stupid name change given one of their direct competitors has essentially the same name.

I think the problem with Racing Point is that they still have the BWT livery which retains the brand identity of Force India. If they’d changed their livery massively, we wouldn’t have that problem. Nobody had problems with the changes from Jordan, Midland or Spyker.

#16 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:08

That’s a really stupid name change given one of their direct competitors has essentially the same name.

I think the problem with Racing Point is that they still have the BWT livery which retains the brand identity of Force India. If they’d changed their livery massively, we wouldn’t have that problem. Nobody had problems with the changes from Jordan, Midland or Spyker.

That’s true. Well same identity and the fact Racing Point is a really dumb name.

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:09

That’s true. Well same identity and the fact Racing Point is a really dumb name.

Still a way better name than Force India.

#18 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:15

Do these rebrands actually work? Sauber is still Sauber (same dull livery), Force India is still Force India. Toro Rosso.... easily memorable. Now some pretentious name for a fashion label. Ha!

#19 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:18

the RB Camo from a couple of years ago?

B8vmubaCYAAJoJ1.jpg

Advertisement

#20 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:18

Crap name.

Why?

#21 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,358 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:35

Alpha Tauri is the name of Aldebaran in Bayer designation form, one of the brightest stars in the sky.

You can easily locate it in the night sky by prolonging the three-star belt line of Orion.

orion-aldebaran-betelgeuse-rigel-pleiade

#22 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:06

So will Alfa Romeo (and Ferrari) veto the request?

#23 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:18

Force India is some of the best branding ever ... esp with the pink livery ... folks cant get it out of their heads - even now. 

Edit: and conversely ... poor Sport Pesa ... they have got literally nothing out of being a title sponsor in F1 .... hardly anyone even knows who they are 2/3s of the way into the season. 

Edited by jjcale, 28 September 2019 - 10:22.

#24 HP

HP

• 19,632 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:37

You know you want to:

troussard.jpg

Nice livery. Aero issues are sold with it however, as long the Pirelli are so sensitive. The black side of the car will heat up more quickly. An engineer would either have a welcome challenge, or an absolute nightmare, depending on how good the car is overall.

#25 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,780 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:39

Croft in the event that the next car is a **** box: “AlphaTauri? They’re so slow they might as well start from Alpha CEN-Tauri!”

They haven’t thought that one through have they?

Please god no. He will say something as dumb as that as well.

But anyways, all change on the grid coming.

#26 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:44

WTF??? :rotfl:

Two ɑ on the grid, sounds weird. Alpha Tauri and Alfa Romeo

Does that mean the star Alpha Centauri?

Really RB, bad idea, please dont.

#27 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:47

I don't think so. Racing Point is a bit wishy washy and doesn't really have any message or power. Even the current drivers get confused with the name sometimes. 

Alpha Tauri is a strange name. I'm not sure if it will stick in people's heads. It sounds like something that cost a lot of money, and the people working on it had bias because they were so familiar with it. Anybody remember the name that the UK Post office changed to for a very short time ? Nope, didn't think so. 

#28 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:50

Not a fan - particularly when there's already an Alfa Romeo on the grid. Could lead to some Alfa/Alpha confusion.

Plus, I really like Toro Rosso's current colours, and I even liked their old one as well. Black and white? No thanks.

#29 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,358 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:53

WTF??? :rotfl:

Two ɑ on the grid, sounds weird. Alpha Tauri and Alfa Romeo

Does that mean the star Alpha Centauri?

Really RB, bad idea, please dont.

Alpha means it's the brightest star in his constellation. Second brightest is beta, third brightest is gamma and so on. So, alpha centauri es the brightest star in the constellation of Centaurus, alpha tauri (aka "Aldebaran") is the brightest star in the constellation of Taurus or alpha ursae minoris (aka "Polaris") is the brightest star in the constellation of Ursa Minor.

#30 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:56

Alpha means it's the brightest star in his constellation. Second brightest is beta, third brightest is gamma and so on. So, alpha centauri es the brightest star in the constellation of Centaurus, alpha tauri (aka "Aldebaran") is the brightest star in the constellation of Taurus or alpha ursae minoris (aka "Polaris") is the brightest star in the constellation of Ursa Minor.

Well, thanks for the info I guess, but I think most people learn that in primary school, in my case it was like 25 years ago, but maybe thats just me because I like astronomy

I forgot about Taurus, I never called it tauri, but maybe its just a language thing.
Actually I like team Aldebaran name more than AlphaTauri :rotfl:

Edited by NixxxoN, 28 September 2019 - 11:00.

#31 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,066 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:58

I quite like the name but it’s not a good idea considering we already have Alfa on the grid.

#32 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:04

It's a rubbish name.

I do wonder if it indicates that the team are maybe starting to move away from the overall Red Bull program. They've got what they needed from the Honda testing, the junior driver stuff is very quickly fading away...

I might be wildly incorrect, but weren't there rumours that Mateschitz wanted to sell a couple of years ago?

It's only a name, but you can't be more Red Bull than the Italian translation, so maybe it's a tiny clue.

#33 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:05

Let’s hope they’re more Benetton than Andrea Moda.

Stunning car the AM!

https://www.statsf1....hotos/7/154.jpg

F1 equivalent of the little black dress.

#34 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:10

It's a rubbish name.

I do wonder if it indicates that the team are maybe starting to move away from the overall Red Bull program. They've got what they needed from the Honda testing, the junior driver stuff is very quickly fading away...

I might be wildly incorrect, but weren't there rumours that Mateschitz wanted to sell a couple of years ago?

It's only a name, but you can't be more Red Bull than the Italian translation, so maybe it's a tiny clue.

The team has allegedly been up for sale since 2008.

#35 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,243 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:28

Craptacular!

#36 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,580 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:32

Bah, why change a name that is quite historical now, considering that Toro Rosso have been around since 2006.

Would me a silly move imho.

Plus, as somebody else already mentioned, we would have Alfa and Alpha, not really the best scenario lol...

#37 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,738 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:34

I hope they veto it. Identical names on the grid is stupid.

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:35

I'd love to see that. Imagine Crofty handling this? Lmao

#39 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:57

A shame about a possible livery change. I kind a liked the livery they had since 2017.

Advertisement

#40 paulb

paulb

• 11,217 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:32

Alpha Tauri is the name of Aldebaran in Bayer designation form, one of the brightest stars in the sky.

You can easily locate it in the night sky by prolonging the three-star belt line of Orion.

orion-aldebaran-betelgeuse-rigel-pleiade

I was thinking it sounds spacey.

So they will rocket to the front with the name change?

#41 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 13:46

And of course the Pleiades are from where the Subaru marque originates.

#42 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,359 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 15:14

I don't like the name, but have been other teams with stupid names, this one at least to me a tongue twister. I do not like existing teams, same management, same ownership changing names. I understand holy mammon rules, but it cheapens what it is being a team, if we start seeing teams changing names though the next step in marketing we lose a little more of what F1 used to be.

I presume the team will continue adding to the Toro Rosso legacy and points, which will not feel right to me (the adding to Lotus was a travesty when the Enstone team did that).

:cool:

#43 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 15:15

They should have kept the Minardi name in 2006. Red Bull Minardi Honda would have sounded quite nice, this season. And for next year they could just change that to AlphaTauri Minardi Honda.   :cool:

#44 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 17:07

I kept hearing "Alfa Touring" when Crofty talked about it during FP. That's what I'm going to call them.

#45 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 19:40

Typical F1 fan forum reaction.....'Urgh, they want to change something, I hate it'.   :lol:

#46 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,359 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 20:40

Typical F1 fan forum reaction.....'Urgh, they want to change something, I hate it'.   :lol:

More that they are changing to something as poor as they want to, is a poor name for a fashion brand if you ask me. I would have been fine with Aldebaran.

:cool:

#47 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,084 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 20:49

I still don't think there's anything wrong with the name Alpha Tauri. Hard to distinguish it in merit from something like Leyton House, which was a real estate company or something...

#48 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 20:52

That’s usually true, but don’t you think there’s some decent justification for the reaction?

They talking about changing their now well established constructor name to one that’s very similar to that of one of the direct competitors, just to promote a brand that could easily just be promoted as a title sponsor name as they do now with parent brand Red Bull.

They’re currently racing as Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda. They wouldn’t need anyone’s permission to be AlphaTauri Toro Rosso Honda next year. So why go to all the trouble to rebrand in such a way that will then introduce confusion with Alfa Romeo?

But I suppose it’s just part of being a team in modern F1. Unless you are Ferrari, McLaren or Williams, your constructor name is fairly meaningless.

#49 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,084 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 20:53

That’s usually true, but don’t you think there’s some decent justification for the reaction?

They talking about changing their now well established constructor name to one that’s very similar to that of one of the direct competitors, just to promote a brand that could easily just be promoted as a title sponsor name as they do now with parent brand Red Bull.

They’re currently racing as Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda. They wouldn’t need anyone’s permission to be AlphaTauri Toro Rosso Honda next year. So why go to all the trouble to rebrand in such a way that will then introduce confusion with Alfa Romeo?

But I suppose it’s just part of being a team in modern F1. Unless you are Ferrari, McLaren or Williams, your constructor name is fairly meaningless.

I admit that this point is very well made. 

#50 liamski

liamski

• 212 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 20:57

For a clothing brand I have literally never heard of before reading this thread, their clothing is quite "interestingly" priced... €250 for a Hoodie?