Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Motorsport Network to close Autosport weekly magazine publication?

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#351 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 939 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 17:14

For me, Autosport magazine lost it's USP a decade or more ago. THere was so much great coverage of "lesser" series like the junior formulae, club racing, hillclimbing etc. It just lost all that...and "replaced" it with hyped articles about F1, Indycar, Le Mans.....series I can read about for free in any number of websites.

The reason why the likes of Doctor Who magazine continue to exist is becuase they offer something more than you can get via the plethora of free Doctor Who websites. Sure I can find reviews of episodes, news and rumours about the current/next series, even occasionally interviews with cast and crew. But the official magazine offers exclusive interviews, photos and extras like DVDs or free downloads of audio dramas. 

If it is going to survive, Autosport magazine needs a USP and it just doesn't have one any more. It used to be the magazine that racing drivers read themselves....from occasional club races and karters to World Champions, Indy 500 winners and F1 team principals.

If it was decided that the old USP of offering coverage of series which weren't represented elsewhere was not going to persuade people to buy....then they need a new USP. Motorsport network owns archives of photos (LAT) and videos (Duke)....why not occasionally offer a DVD with tantalising highlights of a few of the hundreds of videos they could sell for download or on disc....a preview of the photo archive....I admit I haven't bought the mag for years but when I stopped, there were no truly sensible and in-depth interviews with really interesting and/or important people. A four page spread of Claire Williams explaining how she believes she can get Williams out of the mire and what it's like being the most senior woman in the paddock....or a feature article with Toto Wolf, Christian Horner and Mattia Binotto having a round table discussion about the 2019 season and the future of F1.....have Seb Vettel guest edit an issue...things you won't get by picking up free news online. 

Advertisement

#352 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,523 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 17:59

For me, Autosport magazine lost it's USP a decade or more ago. THere was so much great coverage of "lesser" series like the junior formulae, club racing, hillclimbing etc. It just lost all that...

Have said it before on this thread: it does still cover British club racing and the junior formulae.

#353 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,161 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:33

Perhaps I'm a mug but the bizarre goings on at Autosport had me looking at the magazine shelves for the first time in a while. Not having kept up to date with this thread I was pleasantly surprised to see the magazine back at £3.99. Green header for Lewis's sixth championship, some interesting articles inside, current and retro, so why not, I bought one, my first new copy since about 1978. OK, 2017. Check my receipt the next day and Sainsbury's have charged me £10.99. Bastards. 

It's a global conspiracy. They're all in it together...... :|

#354 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,523 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 13:40

Check my receipt the next day and Sainsbury's have charged me £10.99. Bastards. 

Computah says Yesssss!!!!

#355 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,161 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 13:46

Should've gone to Waitrose.

#356 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 312 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 17:56

Even though it says 3.99 on the cover, the scan still says 11 quid. $17.99 in the USA. This magazine is being mismanaged beyond belief. So sad that Russian billionaires who have no pedigree or passion for the sport are trying to monopolize the racing media. Staggering....