Robert Kubica in F1 - what's next

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#301 Krr

Krr

• 663 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 13:19

M-Sport ?
I'm sure they'll be happy to sell him one of their cars .

Yes, M Sport, M. Wilson to be precise.

Btw, Kubica already have his own Fiesta WRC from the time he was running his own team, being also the driver there.

Advertisement

#302 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,445 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 13:24

Depending how you define "physical'. I took pdac words as he was doubting Robert's overall physical condition/form as it is no longer "good" enough for Kubica to compete in any form of racing, which is total BS in my opinion.

At the same time it has nothing to do with him asking for customized steering wheel. Every driver has his preferences, but obviously in Kubica's current situation, it is seen just through his injured arm, whereas it would be exactly the same situation if it took any team 7 months to provide the wheel for their driver.

The entire palava about the steering wheel is precisely because he has physical restrictions on his right arm and cannot comfortably use the controls on the right hand side. The first version of the steering wheel Williams made for him was a minimum change from the standard design. The reason it took so long to get a new one is because his limitations meant more than just a customisation of the wheel but a complete redesign. That was much more than just a simple customisation for any driver. The entire thing was confirmation that his physical condition is a limitation of him driving the car.

My patience is wearing thin.

#303 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 556 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 13:28

That is mostly BS, sorry. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his physical capabilities, in fact he said many times he is in the best shape of his entire life. Nothing across the year suggested that he is struggling in that aspect, he even drove with injured shoulder in Singapur, and managed that well. He is a few years younger then Kimi who is doing just fine, and about the same as Lewis, so calling him to basically retire based on this is plain wrong.

I agree that he needs to cheer himself a bit and find back the joy of actually racing or competing, and that is why he decide not to continue with Williams anymore. Also he said a few times recently that his thoughts are now still concentrated on racing, as he want to do something that will bring him happiness about what he is doing, and surely retiring is not that thing.

That is the sole reason of why I think that if he will decide to do the full time reserve/test/developement role in Haas or RP, it will mean his target is the seat in 2021 and he thinks that is possible.

If not racing, he can always go back to rallying, M-Sport boss said a few days ago that they are open to discuss possibilites with him anytime. I am sure that will happen at some point, and he will be quick there, as has always been, but not ealier then in 3-4 years. 

Are you living in a world of denial? A guy who has had major reconstruction on his arm and is severely disabled in that arm has no physical ability and is even in the best shape of his life?  :smoking:  :lol: he is far from the best shape of his life, far from it...never mind his increasing age to that factor.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read and heard in a while. I respect Kubica for his come back and his motivation desire and determination to do it, it's  incredible but the guy has disabilities and is not the racer he once was, if he wants to get back on top on motorsports he needs to find a car series where the cars are very easy to drive and lower level talent to be able to be competitive again, and that's not because of his talent it's because he is physically unable to be a top racer like he once was.

Edited by ForzaFormula, 20 October 2019 - 13:30.

#304 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,245 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 15:57

the rest of him might be as fit, or fitter than before possibly, but his arm just isnt the same

#305 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,467 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 16:02

Before the bashing takes over completely, I do consider the fact Russell might be a lot better than people think.

#306 steeng

steeng

• 1,176 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 16:39

That is mostly BS, sorry. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his physical capabilities, in fact he said many times he is in the best shape of his entire life. Nothing across the year suggested that he is struggling in that aspect, he even drove with injured shoulder in Singapur, and managed that well. He is a few years younger then Kimi who is doing just fine, and about the same as Lewis, so calling him to basically retire based on this is plain wrong.

I agree that he needs to cheer himself a bit and find back the joy of actually racing or competing, and that is why he decide not to continue with Williams anymore. Also he said a few times recently that his thoughts are now still concentrated on racing, as he want to do something that will bring him happiness about what he is doing, and surely retiring is not that thing.

That is the sole reason of why I think that if he will decide to do the full time reserve/test/developement role in Haas or RP, it will mean his target is the seat in 2021 and he thinks that is possible.

If not racing, he can always go back to rallying, M-Sport boss said a few days ago that they are open to discuss possibilites with him anytime. I am sure that will happen at some point, and he will be quick there, as has always been, but not ealier then in 3-4 years. 

Sorry, but there is something wrong with Kubica's physical capabilites.   He's disabled from his rally accident, so he will never be 100%.

Plus old age does take away a person's physical capabilites. Normally experience can help offset some of that decline.  But Kubica has no experience in a modern F1 car to draw on. Kimi is pushing 40 and he is not as quick as he used to be either.

Kubica's not choosing to step away.  The fact is that no one will hire him anymore because they know that he can't perform.  Even that $16 million Orlen sponsership isn't enough anymore to offset his slow pace.

Edited by steeng, 20 October 2019 - 16:40.

#307 BRG

BRG

• 17,067 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 18:39

Btw, Kubica already have his own Fiesta WRC from the time he was running his own team, being also the driver there.

That car is now obsolete, at least for use at the top level of the WRC.  He could use it in lower status rallies.

And Malcolm would certainly give him a drive, provided he put up the money for it.  M-Sport can't afford to run him at their own expense.  They are not a works team and have to pay their own way.

#308 danmills

danmills

• 1,292 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 20:29

Before the bashing takes over completely, I do consider the fact Russell might be a lot better than people think.

This. Once he gets past this dogged Williams saga people will suddenly jump on thr bandwagon. Norris has been great, but Russell is on another level of maturity.

#309 hansmann

hansmann

• 502 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:10

Talking up Russell seems to be one of the more frequent excuses for Kubica's poor performance .

The only fact to be considered, is that noone knows how capable Russell is in the grand scheme of things .

All we know for certain is that he is better than Kubica .

Also, I don't think calling a driver slow is bashing , if it is based on objective observation .

#310 uzsjgb

uzsjgb

• 247 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:57

No, I don't think so.

Russell won British F4, was third in European F3, won GP3 and won F2. Except for F3, everything was won in his first year in the championship. F2 was won against Norris and Albon. On top of that Russell has a lot of experience as a Mercedes test driver. In Formula 1 he has hardly made any mistakes with a difficult car and at times has qualified higher than the car was expected to.

I don't see how I could rate him higher than I already do.

Sadly, next year with Latifi we won't have a team-mate to judge Russell by. We will have to wait for that until 2021, when Russell takes the Mercedes cockpit next to Hamilton.

#311 rkrp

rkrp

• 231 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 13:04

From Acronis conference
Kubica: "No racing next year is a scenario that is not very probable"

#312 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,026 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 13:12

You know what would be a great fit for Kubica at this stage? The European Rally Championship.

Maybe that might seem too low a level, too big a step down. But I think it would be brilliant. The guy was still seriously quick in a rally car even after his injury, but with the huge pressure of dicing with the very best at the front of the WRC, and the diminished sensitivity in his limbs, no wonder he'd occasionally overdrive in a corner and therefore crashed a lot. However I'm sure at a slightly lower level he could compete and win without having to overdrive as much - didn't he become WRC2 champion in 2013, without a single rally-ending crash? The ERC has more tarmac rallies than the WRC, where he'd feel more at home, too.

#313 rkrp

rkrp

• 231 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 13:20

You know what would be a great fit for Kubica at this stage? The European Rally Championship.

Maybe that might seem too low a level, too big a step down. But I think it would be brilliant. The guy was still seriously quick in a rally car even after his injury, but with the huge pressure of dicing with the very best at the front of the WRC, and the diminished sensitivity in his limbs, no wonder he'd occasionally overdrive in a corner and therefore crashed a lot. However I'm sure at a slightly lower level he could compete and win without having to overdrive as much - didn't he become WRC2 champion in 2013, without a single rally-ending crash? The ERC has more tarmac rallies than the WRC, where he'd feel more at home, too.

I think he will stay in racing. He loves to rally but he said a few times it's paddock where it feels like home for him.

#314 hansmann

hansmann

• 502 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 13:21

Exactly .

Kubica was a customer of M-Sport's .

More precisely, his sponsors were .

He wasn't a team driver or anything .

#315 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 378 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:45

It will not happen but it would be interesting so see how other top drivers perform in the simulator using just their non-dominant hard, versus Robert. I have little doubt he's about as quick as anyone will ever be. But it sure pains me that with his limited other hand to hold on to the wheel, he can't bridge the gap to an F1 rookie. He's doing something herculian but all we get to see is him not quite having the pace :-(