* * - - - 4 votes

Robert Kubica - what's next

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
839 replies to this topic

#601 pdac

pdac

• 8,577 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 20:40

And thats why he was doing sim-work for Mercedes and Red Bull few years ago and Ferrari wanted him as their test driver for this season....
But what can they know right?

Did they?

Advertisement

#602 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 663 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 20:58

Kubica comeback did turn out to be a sad story, but...

... to use above words for driver who put car belonging in 2010 to positions 9-10 on podiums 3 times (Aus, Mon, Bel) and also 3 times in two front rows in qually (Mon, Bel, Jap)... oh man... you are out of line, out of reality or you are just trolling

anyway... sad

And don’t forget kubica loosing to nick heidfield 🤓

Edited by ForzaFormula, 06 December 2019 - 20:59.

#603 LIMAK

LIMAK

• 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 22:03

And don’t forget kubica loosing to nick heidfield

Sure, but at least he had Russel under control. :rotfl:

https://streamable.com/soqsa

#604 steeng

steeng

• 1,192 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 23:53

well Kubica was such a good test driver that he couldn't even understand why Russell was consistently so much quicker as him all year long

Plus wasn't he Williams 3rd driver, development driver, and simulator driver in 2018?  Remind me again how good this year's Williams is because of Kubica's development skills.

#605 steeng

steeng

• 1,192 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 23:55

So back on topic.
Robert will driving a DTM BMW car next week in Jerez.

I think he will easily be the slowest "rookie" in testing.

#606 steeng

steeng

• 1,192 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 23:58

Whoa! George Russell is THAT good?

It's too early to know for sure, but I think that's why Mercedes let Ocon go.   Mercedes has access to Russell's data from testing so they know how good he is.

#607 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,492 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:08

Sorry guys, but Kubica was definitely seen as one of the better drivers in his first career. Being beaten by heidfeld was not on speed. And yes it was well known ferrari wanted him. Arguing about that is nonsense.

For Robert I do really hope he can find that speed back in Dtm. There really is no need to hope he fails at everything after this year. I would be very happy if he succeeds.

I don't know if this happened, but after first believing he would never come back, then after all those years making a miracle comeback. It might be understandable he was so disappointed at his speed combined with a dog of a car, he tried to deny the situation. So instead of looking in the mirror he blamed everything but himself. It's a very human reaction.

#608 statman

statman

• 5,026 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:22

topic title is wrong

#609 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 720 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:57

Plus wasn't he Williams 3rd driver, development driver, and simulator driver in 2018?  Remind me again how good this year's Williams is because of Kubica's development skills.

Right....because team not having enough resources to deliver car on time, prepare enough spares, let alone keeping up with other teams in terms of development...its all entirely drivers fault.

I think he will easily be the slowest "rookie" in testing.

How about let him drive before making a judgement?

The amount of negativity from some people is just sad.

#610 Steve99

Steve99

• 550 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:21

yeah, I'm with this. The inability to accept he isn't fit for F1 on the part of some has become boring now, but I reckon he'll do OK in other categories, and hope he does.

#611 pdac

pdac

• 8,577 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:56

Right....because team not having enough resources to deliver car on time, prepare enough spares, let alone keeping up with other teams in terms of development...its all entirely drivers fault.

I think the point being made is not that they were strapped for resources but that the final car was a dog. That is being linked (reasonably) to the fact that Robert was the development driver at the time that this car was being developed. So, it may not be entirely his fault, but he cannot be absolved of any responsibility.

Edited by pdac, 07 December 2019 - 12:57.

#612 hansmann

hansmann

• 555 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 15:29

Kubica comeback did turn out to be a sad story, but...

... to use above words for driver who put car belonging in 2010 to positions 9-10 on podiums 3 times (Aus, Mon, Bel) and also 3 times in two front rows in qually (Mon, Bel, Jap)... oh man... you are out of line, out of reality or you are just trolling

anyway... sad

Kubica's previous achievements in F1, real or percieved, have been discussed ad nauseam .

I've always been of the opinion that he showed moments of brilliance, but never delivered over the course a season .

Which is the same that can be said about a lot of drivers .

#613 hansmann

hansmann

• 555 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 16:18

And thats why he was doing sim-work for Mercedes and Red Bull few years ago and Ferrari wanted him as their test driver for this season....
But what can they know right?

Could you go into a bit more detail on that ?

That simulator work RK has been doing for Merc and RB , and how he was hired to help those teams develop their cars ?

When indeed Kubica was only allowed to use their simulators a few times, and at no point has been working for either team ?

Or is it a bit like the Ferrari simulator gig, that only happened in the imagination of some people ? 

#614 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 16:19

Kubica's previous achievements in F1, real or percieved, have been discussed ad nauseam .

I've always been of the opinion that he showed moments of brilliance, but never delivered over the course a season .

Which is the same that can be said about a lot of drivers .

Yeah fighting for the world title in a 3rd/4th best car until the last few races of the season is "never delivered over the course a season". Forum logic at its absolute best.

#615 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 720 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 19:28

Could you go into a bit more detail on that ?

That simulator work RK has been doing for Merc and RB , and how he was hired to help those teams develop their cars ?

When indeed Kubica was only allowed to use their simulators a few times, and at no point has been working for either team ?

Or is it a bit like the Ferrari simulator gig, that only happened in the imagination of some people ? 

First of all, ive never used word hired. I said he was doing some sim work for them.

Secondly even Toto said the team was benefiting from RKs expertise.

Also Lauda himself said that RK worked for them.

But i guess you know better that people in charge Merc F1 Team.

Just like Ferrari sim offer which was reported by Autosport, AMuS etc. and later confirmed by Robert.

But yeah...its just imagination  :rolleyes:

#616 hansmann

hansmann

• 555 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 21:12

First of all, ive never used word hired. I said he was doing some sim work for them.

Secondly even Toto said the team was benefiting from RKs expertise.

Also Lauda himself said that RK worked for them.

But i guess you know better that people in charge Merc F1 Team.

Just like Ferrari sim offer which was reported by Autosport, AMuS etc. and later confirmed by Robert.

But yeah...its just imagination  :rolleyes:

If RK did simulator work for them, he worked for them .

That would suggest he was hired , as a contractor or employee,  it's kinda how this work thing ... works .

That is what you claim .

To my knowledge, RK was in the Merc simulator as a guest , a few times many years ago, never was part of their team or development program in any capacity . 

The Lauda 'quote' comes from a dubious polish pro-RK source . I suspect it is a straight lie .

Same with Red Bull; he got a little time in their simulator when he was trying to pay his way into Renault, as a favour to their then engine supplier . 

As for Ferrari, there have been nothing but unsubstantiated rumors about their alleged interest in Kubica in some kind of testing role .

Those rumors have been reported as such - unsubstantiated gossip - by some news outlets .

Those are the facts I can come up with on short notice .

Facts which can easily be confirmed .

Finally, re. your statements, there is a word you might want to look up , it's just three letters .

I can't say that word around here - sounding like Kubica ;) - but just google the meaning of :

a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood

;)

#617 hansmann

hansmann

• 555 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 21:28

The multi year WRC embarrassment , the 2019 F1 disaster - not enough to form a bit of an opinion on RK's driving skills ?

Sad indeed .

A DTM test ride , to pass judgement on his competence ?

DTM - bit like Nascar, only with real racing drivers on actual racetracks ;) - a few laps of that might not be enough to make up for a long time of failed attempts .

That's assuming he'll do well - unlikely - and some people won't turn a mediocre effort into a resounding triumph, like the Renault testing - very likely . ;)

#618 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 615 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 21:48

Has a series been mentioned as having car that ask the least from the driver's capability (quickly and precisely) control the steering wheel?
Women might be born with a physical strength/speed deficit, but most of them have well-balance grip on the wheel.

I wonder how much a sim driver loses in terms of lap time with similarly reduced function of one arm.
The time lost on track just seems like so much...might Robert have also lost some due to being out of the game for so long and, let's face it, being in his 30's? Even Schumi couldn't quite dominate young Rosberg when he returned despite the very highest experience and track record. That might be several tenths right there and Rosberg's peak was below Hamilton's for sure. And Schumi was a famously fit driver with two healthy arms.

I wish Robert the best, but he may have set himself goals in the category "be careful what you wish for".

#619 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 720 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:16

If RK did simulator work for them, he worked for them .

That would suggest he was hired , as a contractor or employee,  it's kinda how this work thing ... works .

That is what you claim .

No, thats not what im claiming. Thats just your over-interpretation.

If doing some work for someone without being employeed is alien concept for you, the i dont know what to say...

The multi year WRC embarrassment , the 2019 F1 disaster - not enough to form a bit of an opinion on RK's driving skills ?

Sad indeed .

A DTM test ride , to pass judgement on his competence ?

DTM - bit like Nascar, only with real racing drivers on actual racetracks ;) - a few laps of that might not be enough to make up for a long time of failed attempts .

That's assuming he'll do well - unlikely - and some people won't turn a mediocre effort into a resounding triumph, like the Renault testing - very likely .  ;)

And again...we are talking about completly different things.

Some dude just assumed RK will be the slowest rookie in DTM test and i just said he should save such a judgement untill he actually drives it. Its that simple...

Advertisement

#620 pdac

pdac

• 8,577 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:45

No, thats not what im claiming. Thats just your over-interpretation.

If doing some work for someone without being employeed is alien concept for you, the i dont know what to say...

But is that what actually happened? You're also over-interpreting the situation, I think. You see Robert USING the Mercedes simulator and conclude that he was (and these are you're exact words) "doing some work FOR them".

#621 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,451 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 13:10

Sad indeed .

What are you even talking about??? Robert was WRC2 series champion post-accident

#622 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 720 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 17:09

You see Robert USING the Mercedes simulator and conclude that he was (and these are you're exact words) "doing some work FOR them".

Not exactly...when Autosport quotes Toto saying that Mercedes is benefiting from RKs expertise. When BBC reports that Toto said RK was "helping" them....to me its pretty clear that he was doing some work for them.
And ofc by doing so he was also checking his own limitations in F1 cockpit.

#623 LIMAK

LIMAK

• 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 17:58

But is that what actually happened?

Yeah, he worked for them. Because they didn't want to let him go after the "trial run".

https://translate.go...rcedes-em-2013/

#624 messy

messy

• 4,048 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 18:29

Sad indeed .

Seriously? I really wonder about some posters on here. I’m far from the biggest RK defender from 2019 - his lack of speed was brutal and I’m surprised he lasted the full year - but you can’t call his WRC career an embarrassment for a second. Yes he put it in the ditch a few times too often, but he won WRC2 and matched the top drivers on pace at times, admittedly often before sticking it in a ditch.

#625 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,936 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 20:00

Seriously? I really wonder about some posters on here. I’m far from the biggest RK defender from 2019 - his lack of speed was brutal and I’m surprised he lasted the full year - but you can’t call his WRC career an embarrassment for a second. Yes he put it in the ditch a few times too often, but he won WRC2 and matched the top drivers on pace at times, admittedly often before sticking it in a ditch.

The main issue for Kubica was that he never got reliable in a WRC car. The WRC2 level was not very high around those years either.
Tbf, it's only a very few years that the WRC2 level has been quite high.

At his fastest in rally, he certainly was faster than what Räikkönen managed.

#626 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 615 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 21:17

Do we know where Robert lost his time against Russell? Fast or slow corners or both? Other aspects of driving?

#627 hansmann

hansmann

• 555 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 14:55

WRC2 in 2013 wasn't even a thing ; just a few people showed up , the point scoring events were all over the place .

As for WRC : everybody - including Hamilton's dogs - which aren't even real dogs - - matches the top drivers' pace at some point .

But as you pointed out, that kind of pace has been a bit too much for Kubica , on so many occassions that it became a bit of a joke . 

Suggesting that RK has been competitive at any time in WRC is rewriting history ; his results in every season and every event were subpar .

He was a pay driver/team 'owner' in WRC; RK didn't belong there just as he didn't belong in F1 this year .

#628 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,135 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 15:19

WRC2 in 2013 wasn't even a thing ; just a few people showed up , the point scoring events were all over the place .

As for WRC : everybody - including Hamilton's dogs - which aren't even real dogs - - matches the top drivers' pace at some point .

But as you pointed out, that kind of pace has been a bit too much for Kubica , on so many occassions that it became a bit of a joke . 

Suggesting that RK has been competitive at any time in WRC is rewriting history ; his results in every season and every event were subpar .

He was a pay driver/team 'owner' in WRC; RK didn't belong there just as he didn't belong in F1 this year .

Clearly you have not seen Rally Montecarlo 2015, he won like 4 special stages.

#629 KevR

KevR

• 122 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 15:25

Jeez.. what an ultimate troll. I guess you should proofread before you post anything because you're just digging a hole for yourself at the moment by saying such cr*p. If matching the top drivers' speed is so easy in WRC then I expect you to go there and win the championship in, let's say, 3 years time. Come on, show us how easily it can be done.

#630 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,936 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 18:26

The same goes for 14 and 15 though, and well, i all years WRC2 will be a bit odd depending on where they decide to spend money. You only have to look at 2017 to see Rovanperä getting his first WRC2 win and WDC points. Only WRC2 driver driving in Australia, and two national cars finished in top 10 overall, and was removed from point scoring as the weren't eligible for WRC points. To try to make sense of WRC2 you need to look at the relative competition - it wasn't as high in 13,14 or 15 as in the later years. But it was just the same as SWRC and PWRC before it in terms of number of competitors.

Also, Kubica won more than one actual, proper stage. Often when "everyone wins" it is spectator-stages, super specials etc. Like Protasov, or even when Kopecky won a stage in the R5 Fabia, or Tidemand led Rally Sweden overnight in his R5.

You need to hit better next time man.

Clearly you have not seen Rally Montecarlo 2015, he won like 4 special stages.

Problem was that he also crashed the same amount of times. That was the issue for Kubica, he extremely rarely managed to be quick and reliable. And he didn't get much better with experience either sadly.

#631 BRG

BRG

• 17,362 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 19:18

I give anyone who has a go at rallying a big  :up: and Kubica gave it a proper go, especially when it was after that horrible accident.  But there is a bit of myth-making about Kubica and rallying.

He was good up to and including WRC2 level, but it seems that the full-fat WRC was a step too far for someone with his experience.  I think he thought that, as a F1 level driver, the WRC shouldn't present a problem, but the guys at the top have put in just as much effort getting there as racing drivers have to to reach F1.  Perhaps if he had persevered, he would by now be able to match them, but, like Kimi, he walked away when it proved more difficult than he expected.  You can always find drivers who are blindingly fast on the first stage but they are driving beyond their capabilities and go off on the next.  That is a common occurrence in rallying.  Sometimes the driver's name is Colin McRae, or more recently, Jari-Matti Latvala.  They both had to learn to temper speed with finishing, and both managed to do it.  McRae was champion and Latvala won quite a few rallies. I would be happy to see Kubica have another go in the WRC as long as he had learnt from his mistakes and understood that it would take time to build up to a winning pace.  As the old saying goes "To finish first, first you must finish".  

Looking more closely at Monte Carlo 2015, yes, he did take four stage wins.  One was by three seconds from Ogier, which is almost a definition of someone driving too fast!  He was 11th on SS1, then dropped to 66th place after spinning on SS2.  He did recover back to 13 th place only to crash heavily after the finish line of SS14 , taking two wheels off the car and that was that.  Almost a case study of someone driving beyond his limits.  An interesting point was that he was using Pirelli tyres against the Michelins that the other WRC regulars were using and on an event with very changeable road conditions (ice and snow, dry and wet) he may have had a tyre advantage on certain stages.  But that is only my guess.  Equally he may have had a disadvantage elsewhere.

#632 szym3k

szym3k

• 315 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:18

I give anyone who has a go at rallying a big  :up: and Kubica gave it a proper go, especially when it was after that horrible accident.  But there is a bit of myth-making about Kubica and rallying.

He was good up to and including WRC2 level, but it seems that the full-fat WRC was a step too far for someone with his experience.  I think he thought that, as a F1 level driver, the WRC shouldn't present a problem, but the guys at the top have put in just as much effort getting there as racing drivers have to to reach F1.  Perhaps if he had persevered, he would by now be able to match them, but, like Kimi, he walked away when it proved more difficult than he expected.  You can always find drivers who are blindingly fast on the first stage but they are driving beyond their capabilities and go off on the next.  That is a common occurrence in rallying.  Sometimes the driver's name is Colin McRae, or more recently, Jari-Matti Latvala.  They both had to learn to temper speed with finishing, and both managed to do it.  McRae was champion and Latvala won quite a few rallies. I would be happy to see Kubica have another go in the WRC as long as he had learnt from his mistakes and understood that it would take time to build up to a winning pace.  As the old saying goes "To finish first, first you must finish".  

Looking more closely at Monte Carlo 2015, yes, he did take four stage wins.  One was by three seconds from Ogier, which is almost a definition of someone driving too fast!  He was 11th on SS1, then dropped to 66th place after spinning on SS2.  He did recover back to 13 th place only to crash heavily after the finish line of SS14 , taking two wheels off the car and that was that.  Almost a case study of someone driving beyond his limits.  An interesting point was that he was using Pirelli tyres against the Michelins that the other WRC regulars were using and on an event with very changeable road conditions (ice and snow, dry and wet) he may have had a tyre advantage on certain stages.  But that is only my guess.  Equally he may have had a disadvantage elsewhere.

Lots of valid points. Keep in mind that compared to most factory rally drivers, Kubica was quite inexperienced and who knows what a couple more years and a factory drive would done. 

#633 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,135 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:03

He did recover back to 13 th place only to crash heavily after the finish line of SS14 , taking two wheels off the car and that was that.  Almost a case study of someone driving beyond his limits. 

He had a problem with brakes, it wasn't his fault.

#634 BRG

BRG

• 17,362 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 15:27

Hmm, a driver saying it wasn't his fault.  That's a novelty.  If he really had a problem with his brakes, he wouldn't  have got as far as the stage finish line.  You use your brakes savagely on stage, but only lightly to slow down after the flying finish. The chance that the brakes chose that moment to fail is...let's say a little unlikely.

#635 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,936 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 16:49

Lots of valid points. Keep in mind that compared to most factory rally drivers, Kubica was quite inexperienced and who knows what a couple more years and a factory drive would done.

I remember going through this a couple of years ago, and he wasn't more than around 10 rallies short of experience when he got in to WRC than e.g Ogier when Ogier got in to WRC.

#636 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,936 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 16:50

That was crash/accident number 4 in that rally alone though.

#637 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 534 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 21:21

I agree he overdrove the car hence all the accidents. I even remember rumours that one of co-drivers walked on him for that reason. However he has more stage wins (14) then any other crossovers from F1 and racing like Kimi or Sarazin. And all those wins, I think, were after the injury.

Anyway let's see if he can get that DTM drive. Dtm is tricky and very competetive, I am not sure how he will get on tbh.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 11 December 2019 - 21:26.

#638 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,111 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:32

Sounds like he was like the young Colin McRae in a rally car. Fast but more than likely to end up in a heap of scrap at the end. Maybe he should have stayed there, used some experience to calm down a bit and get some decent success out of it.

#639 BRG

BRG

• 17,362 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 17:11

Sounds like he was like the young Colin McRae in a rally car. Fast but more than likely to end up in a heap of scrap at the end. Maybe he should have stayed there, used some experience to calm down a bit and get some decent success out of it.

He should indeed have persevered and by now, he might have become a force to be reckoned with.  But, like Kimi, when the going got tough, the tough bugger off to try something else.  I think there may be a F1 driver sense of entitlement that says that any other discipline ought to be easy for me because I am an F1 driver.  But rallying isn't easier, it is probably the hardest form of motor sport to master.  

Edited by BRG, 12 December 2019 - 17:12.

Advertisement

#640 hansmann

hansmann

• 555 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:54

Kubica a solid last on his first day of DTM testing .

To be fair, the other BMW driver is more experienced, and there seems to be little detail made available on various lap times , tyres and fuel loads for the entire event .

Fastest laps :

01. Fabio Scherer (Audi) - 1:32.242 Minuten (78 laps)

02. Nico Müller (Audi) - 1:32.364 (119)

03. Ed Jones (Audi) - 1:32.664 (83)

04. Marco Wittmann (BMW) - 1:32.681 (130)

05. Robert Kubica (BMW) - 1:33.004 (128)

Edited by hansmann, 12 December 2019 - 18:54.

#641 Krr

Krr

• 669 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 19:28

Kubica a solid last on his first day of DTM testing .

To be fair, the other BMW driver is more experienced, and there seems to be little detail made available on various lap times , tyres and fuel loads for the entire event .

Fastest laps :

01. Fabio Scherer (Audi) - 1:32.242 Minuten (78 laps)

02. Nico Müller (Audi) - 1:32.364 (119)

03. Ed Jones (Audi) - 1:32.664 (83)

04. Marco Wittmann (BMW) - 1:32.681 (130)

05. Robert Kubica (BMW) - 1:33.004 (128)

By more expieriened you surely meant double champion of this series, 3rd on 2019, by far the best BMW driver, racing in DTM since 2014, right?

Edited by Krr, 12 December 2019 - 19:28.

#642 BRG

BRG

• 17,362 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:38

By more experienced you surely meant double champion of this series, 3rd on 2019, by far the best BMW driver, racing in DTM since 2014, right?

I don't think that 4 tenths is a lot to be behind someone like Wittmann when it is your first time in the car.

#643 hansmann

hansmann

• 555 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:35

I don't think that 4 tenths is a lot to be behind someone like Wittmann when it is your first time in the car.

I agree , and I said the same thing in my posting .

No need to make excuses already . ;)

All we know so far, Kubica is the least experienced and slowest driver of day two of testing .

#644 Aragorth

Aragorth

• 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 22:34

There are informations (non official) that he improved his time from 2nd day a lot and he was fastest BMW driver from all 3 days.

#645 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,492 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:14

Strange, I thought he only drove the third and last day of the test I could be wrong

#646 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 720 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:40

IMO being 0.35s behind Wittmann on a first day was good sign because it was allready level similar to BMW racing drivers :-)
But the next day he improved quite a bit and his qualy sim was actually faster than Engs.
So far its looking promising.

#647 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,492 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:56

Just curious where those times are, seeing he debuted on the third day of a three day test

#648 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,524 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:11

Kinda depends on what the program was though. If you're doing parts testing for races while the other guy is doing glory laps for the press that's a different matter.

I remember similar performances when he was testing for F1 and that did not materialise into anything either.

I wish Bob the best of luck but hopefully no ones leading him on for marketing reasons again.

#649 Krr

Krr

• 669 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 13:52

Kinda depends on what the program was though. If you're doing parts testing for races while the other guy is doing glory laps for the press that's a different matter.

I remember similar performances when he was testing for F1 and that did not materialise into anything either.

I wish Bob the best of luck but hopefully no ones leading him on for marketing reasons again.

Well, given tests were generally closed for the press and all we know about it is rather leaks from who knows who, it is hard to assume something was done for the marketing purposes.

#650 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,455 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 13:58

So BMW is not purposely making him look slow?

Let’s then use this assumption as a base point for the actual racing season...