37 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 14:23

what could be in 2020. No drivers confirmed yet:

DAMS: ???

Vortuosi: Guanyou Zhou?

ART: Nikita Mazepin? Christian Lundgaard?

Carlin: Jehan Daruvala? Yuki Tsunoda?

Campos: Leonardo Pulcini?

MP: ???

Charouz: Callum Ilott? Marcus Armstrong?

Arden: Jake Hughes? Jüri Vips?

Prema: Mick Schumacher? Robert Shwartzman?

Trident: Giuliano Alesi? Pedro Piquet?

Advertisement

#2 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,028 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:08

Alesi will stay in F2 but not with Trident.

Interesting (or depressing) to see what Renault will do from the money saved caused by Hubert's passing.

Will they promote Lundgaard or give another shot at it for Aitken....

#3 balage06

balage06

• 1,266 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:28

Since no driver is confirmed yet, this should be a silly season thread, right?

Btw, you know a series is doomed when even HistoryFan has no guesses for some of the seats. :p

#4 Anja

Anja

• 4,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:31

Since no driver is confirmed yet, this should be a silly season thread, right?

I don't think there's a need for a separate silly season thread for junior series, might as well use this one for all the lineup news and then continue with the actual season. 

#5 balage06

balage06

• 1,266 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 16:01

I don't think there's a need for a separate silly season thread for junior series, might as well use this one for all the lineup news and then continue with the actual season. 

Okay then, but I don't think there will be much to discuss until late December - January (other than speculation).

#6 Anja

Anja

• 4,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 16:24

Okay then, but I don't think there will be much to discuss until late December - January (other than speculation).

Well, yeah. I thought about starting this thread when we get some first announcements but HistoryFan just couldn't wait any longer  :p

#7 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,713 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 16:50

Is Alesi staying with Ferrari? Just wondering as Ferrari has three drivers this year in F2 and they also have top two of this year's F3 who should be aiming for F2 next year.

To be honest based on last few years I feel he's academy member just for emotional aspect as his father was one of the most popular Ferrari drivers. If Ferrari aim to keep him the target could be in LMGTE rather than F1.

#8 Touchdown

Touchdown

• 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 17:00

Can bet the house on Prema's lineup being unchanged.

#9 RA2

RA2

• 1,217 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 17:10

They should have some stand alone races at Imola, Nurburgring, Estoril and Istanbul

Could be nice weekend with F3, W Series, ELMS

1 23px-Flag_of_Bahrain.svg.png Bahrain International CircuitSakhir 21 March 22 March 2 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Circuit ZandvoortZandvoort 2 May 3 May 3 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Circuit de Barcelona-CatalunyaMontmeló 9 May 10 May 4 19px-Flag_of_Monaco.svg.png Circuit de MonacoMonte Carlo 23 May 24 May 5 23px-Flag_of_Azerbaijan.svg.png Baku City CircuitBaku 6 June 7 June 6 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Red Bull RingSpielberg 4 July 5 July 7 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Silverstone CircuitSilverstone 18 July 19 July 8 23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png HungaroringMogyoród 1 August 2 August 9 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Circuit de Spa-FrancorchampsStavelot 29 August 30 August 10 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Autodromo Nazionale MonzaMonza 5 September 6 September 11 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Sochi AutodromSochi 26 September 27 September 12 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates.sv Yas Marina CircuitAbu Dhabi 28 November 29 November

Edited by RA2, 08 October 2019 - 17:13.

#10 Anja

Anja

• 4,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 17:24

Is Alesi staying with Ferrari? Just wondering as Ferrari has three drivers this year in F2 and they also have top two of this year's F3 who should be aiming for F2 next year.

To be honest based on last few years I feel he's academy member just for emotional aspect as his father was one of the most popular Ferrari drivers. If Ferrari aim to keep him the target could be in LMGTE rather than F1.

I feel like Ferrari in general likes to have famous names in their academy. Alesi, Schumacher, Fittipaldi, Montoya... 

#11 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,718 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 17:39

With Daruvala, Vips, Shwartzman and Armstrong presumbly all coming in, it will be a lot more of a talented grid than this season. Interesting to see if the last two can fight for the championship straight away with a possible Alfa Romeo seat for the winner of that duel in 2021?

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 08 October 2019 - 17:39.

#12 messy

messy

• 3,750 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 17:49

I’d like Alesi to get a second shot. Trident are rubbish and he had every misfortune going in the early phases before showing a bit of promise lately. And he’s very young still.

Mazepin, no.

#13 balage06

balage06

• 1,266 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 20:40

The ART line-up could be also interesting, Mazepin will likely stay, but I think their F3 squad must feel they have some unfinished business one tier lower, I'd be surprised if they promoted one of them next year, so one seat might potentially free up for the upcoming (ex-)Prema boys. Based on the performance of Russell and de Vries, ART's setup base for the current gen car might be even better than Prema's.

#14 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 942 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:06

I’d like Alesi to get a second shot. Trident are rubbish and he had every misfortune going in the early phases before showing a bit of promise lately. And he’s very young still.

Mazepin, no.

I think in the future he will stay with Ferrari, but at other series like Bleu said. There are informations that he will join a top team next season, so who knows what happens then. 

But I agree with you, he does deserve another shot, with all the reasons you explained.

#15 messy

messy

• 3,750 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:11

The ART line-up could be also interesting, Mazepin will likely stay, but I think their F3 squad must feel they have some unfinished business one tier lower, I'd be surprised if they promoted one of them next year, so one seat might potentially free up for the upcoming (ex-)Prema boys. Based on the performance of Russell and de Vries, ART's setup base for the current gen car might be even better than Prema's.

Really think ART had Anthoine Hubert lined up for a title assault in 2020, sadly, so what they do will be interesting. 

I thought Mazepin was pretty much a waste of space this season. Jittery, clumsy and (mostly) slow. In his own way probably just as poor as Calderon and Raghunathan given he was driving for one of the best teams. Maybe he'll improve massively in year two, stranger things have happened occasionally I suppose.

I'd like to see Lundgaard really, but doubt they'd be happy with a Mazepin/Lundgaard lineup. That just screams 'ninth place in the team's standings'.

#16 Starchild

Starchild

• 609 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:02

Ticktum has also said that he is looking for a good F2 seat for next year. I don't like him, but he is pretty fast and would be good adition to the grid. Would definitely spice things up a bit.

So maybe Ticktum to ART, or DAMS, who knows?

Also, wonder in which team will Vips end up. Hopefully Red Bull can find him something better than Arden, Trident or MP.

#17 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,636 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:03

Mazepin paid for De Vries' seat I guess. ;)

#18 messy

messy

• 3,750 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:27

Ticktum has also said that he is looking for a good F2 seat for next year. I don't like him, but he is pretty fast and would be good adition to the grid. Would definitely spice things up a bit.

So maybe Ticktum to ART, or DAMS, who knows?

Also, wonder in which team will Vips end up. Hopefully Red Bull can find him something better than Arden, Trident or MP.

Now his career's not being bankrolled by Red Bull, he'll be lucky. 

It's a shame, Ticktum is quite a promising driver but his personality seems to blacklist him from just about everything. 

Ollie Rowland used to be like that mind, and he got over it. 

#19 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 13:48

Alesi will stay in F2 but not with Trident.

You know that or is that just a guess?

Advertisement

#20 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 13:49

There will be an official test in Dezember I think.

#21 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 13:49

Can bet the house on Prema's lineup being unchanged.

I don't think Gelael will continue in Formula 2.

#22 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,028 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 14:01

You know that or is that just a guess?

That's a fact from the dad himself.

Alesi's are not happy at all with how Trident handled the season.

#23 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 14:11

Trident was a very good team in GP3, but not in Formula 2. Don't know why.

#24 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 363 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 15:23

Wonder if RedBull want O'Ward in F2 or SF. 

#25 messy

messy

• 3,750 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 17:11

I don't think Gelael will continue in Formula 2.

God I hope not.

#26 balage06

balage06

• 1,266 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 20:39

Wonder if RedBull want O'Ward in F2 or SF. 

Marko doesn't seem to be too keen on sending their junior drivers to GP2/F2. He's been complaining about how it is too costly and doesn't offer proper preparation for F1...etc. throughout the years. I think back in the Renault factory team days, they had a deal to send all their young drivers to WSbR instead of GP2 and it looks like they agreed to something similar with Honda about Super Formula. Even Vips sounded unsure about his future, he also mentioned SF as a possibility.

Edited by balage06, 09 October 2019 - 20:40.

#27 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,517 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:51

Though then again Marko already said Tsunoda will be racing F2.

#28 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,224 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:18

I hope Aitken will continue, although that ship may have sailed.

#29 balage06

balage06

• 1,266 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:49

Though then again Marko already said Tsunoda will be racing F2.

But the might be more on Honda than him. :D

#30 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 870 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:51

Hope to see Lundgaard in that ART :up:

#31 messy

messy

• 3,750 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:40

predictions?

ART - Lundgaard, Palou

DAMS - Sette Camara, 

UNI-Virtuosi - Zhou, Tsunoda

Prema - Schumacher, Schwartzman

Carlin - Deletraz, O'Ward

Campos - Alesi, Sato

Sauber Jr - Ilott, Armstrong

Arden - Mazepin, 

Trident - Piquet, Pulcini

#32 statman

statman

• 4,821 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 13:07

needless to say but Ghiotto has indeed indicated he will move on from single seaters and focus on sportscar racing.

#33 balage06

balage06

• 1,266 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:44

Ilott being cryptic:

https://twitter.com/...822618941628421

#34 messy

messy

• 3,750 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:39

Haven't been particularly impressed with Ilott's racecraft this year, he seems to fade from good positions. He's quick and should get a second year, though.

#35 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,517 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:16

Arden withdraws, HWA is completely taking over their entry

https://www.motorspo...t.co/icioWCO2Kk

Arden CEO Garry Horner, father of Red Bull F1 team boss Christian, who co-founded the team, said the squad would use this juncture to "explore other avenues".

It currently competes in the Formula Renault Eurocup and British F4.

"Arden has successfully competed in the premier F1 feeder series for over 20 years and we have now decided to step back from the category in order to explore other avenues," said Garry Horner.

"We have enjoyed our time in the (GP2 and) F2 Championships and, at some point in the future, may consider returning to the grid. Never say never…"

#36 Anja

Anja

• 4,277 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:29

Not a surprise, this year's cooperation between them was widely assumed to be a first step before the full change. 

#37 Sndr

Sndr

• 271 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:12

so wait, there's a garry horner and a geri horner? the more you know...

#38 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,198 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:26

I wonder what other avenues they're thinking of?

Please be Indycar, please be Indycar...