TomNokoe

• 21,488 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:33

god I can't stand those 18 inch rims and caps, they just look awful

#53 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,390 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:34

I just cannot believe we are still going to be effing stuck with the piss poor and ridiculous DRS.  What an utter joke. :down:

This was supposed to be a 'short term' solution.    Well it's neither a solution nor short bleeding term.

Edited by BuddyHolly, 31 October 2019 - 16:35.

#54 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,145 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:35

Maximum 25, doesn't mean there will be 25

It does mean that's their aim though.

#55 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,878 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:37

I don't understand how tyre blankets are a cost saving measure. 

Don't they have around 250-300k EUR worth of tyre blankets and temp.monitors with them? Some does break, so, maybe it's a cost from 500k to 1 mill EUR a year. Little in the big picture, but it does help. Remember when Campos/1Malaysia/Manor/USF1(lol) joined F1. Virgin operated on a 46 mil EUR budget. So with some bad luck tyre blankets and the stuff needed for them could've been 2.5% of the overall budget.

Edited by Myrvold, 31 October 2019 - 16:40.

#56 jannyg

jannyg

• 1,503 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:38

I dont have an issue with DRS.

25 races is excessive though. Would have to have triple headers again surely?

#57 OO7

OO7

• 19,255 posts

god I can't stand those 18 inch rims and caps, they just look awful

I'm still trying to figure out why there isn't a boot for grocery shopping, after all they are aiming to be road relevant.

#58 JeePee

JeePee

• 3,131 posts

If you have a car advantage in Melbourne, that is good news for you as a team.

And FFS 25 races? 21 is too much already... Every event less special...

#59 SagemX

SagemX

• 100 posts

True, but if they manage the weekends properly, it can work out, though it may not of course, rather than teams arrive early in the week like they do currently, teams would arrive Thursday at the earliest, cuts out man hours etc

Advertisement

#60 BRK

BRK

• 4,233 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:40

What is that sim in tbe background being run on? AC or rFactor? The cars look really odd.

25 max races is absolutely ridiculous. 21 itself seems a bit high to me..22 or 23 is a lot of pointless races on the calendar. 

Edited by BRK, 31 October 2019 - 16:43.

#61 Starish

Starish

• 1,386 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:40

Tyre blankets cost money to make, transport and use, they want to get rid of them to reduce that cost

Sorry, I didn't explain properly...  don't understand how limiting the temperature of the tyre blankets a cost saving measure. 

#62 SagemX

SagemX

• 100 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:43

Sorry, I didn't explain properly...  don't understand how limiting the temperature of the tyre blankets a cost saving measure. 

To make tyre blankets hotter uses up more power, less power is less electricity, less electricity is cheaper.

#63 NickeF1

NickeF1

• 751 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:45

No mention of the new engine regs?

#64 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,878 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:46

That condensed schedule, with Thursday now stricken from the skedge, will make F1 a more feasible, budget-friendly event for fans to visit

Eh, is it that many fans who travel to F1 races on a Thursday for the press conferences?

#65 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,658 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:46

No mention of the new engine regs?

"largely unchanged"

#66 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,878 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:47

What is that sim in tbe background being run on? AC or rFactor? The cars look really odd.

From the short glimpse of 2 cars beside each other, it looked very gMotor-ISI like (so rFactor/rFactor PRO/rFactor 2)

Oh, right. I forgot as well. They are not being banned outright...

#67 NickeF1

NickeF1

• 751 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:48

"largely unchanged"

Okay, they talked about it? Still hybrids?

#68 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,145 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:49

They should just get rid of them compeltely.

#69 SagemX

SagemX

• 100 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:51

They should just get rid of them compeltely.

The want to, teams said no

#70 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,658 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:52

"Nobody was complaining in 2016 that the cars are too slow"

Woah, that's a poor memory

#71 statman

statman

• 4,994 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:52

it's interesting to see the faces of the people asking the questions, Dan Knudsen, Dieter Rencken etc. Usually only hear their voices.

#72 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,658 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:56

I feel for him

EIOMFEGWwAE2Lfs.jpg

#73 FNG

FNG

• 4,766 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:59

To make tyre blankets hotter uses up more power, less power is less electricity, less electricity is cheaper.

:rotfl: $300 million a year budgets and they want to save $1.50 worth of electricity? Yah that will make a difference.

#74 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,094 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:00

it's interesting to see the faces of the people asking the questions, Dan Knudsen, Dieter Rencken etc. Usually only hear their voices.

I didn't know how Dieter looked like but it's been all the well known journos! Mark Hughes, Dieter, Benson etc.

And Benson was the biggest arse asking a very opinionated leading question, what surprise.

#75 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,658 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:02

Jean Todt said pineapple of motorsport, what a hero

#76 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 9,540 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:03

Okay, they talked about it? Still hybrids?

There was never going to be any major changes to the engines. They stopped talking about even small adjustments to the current units at least a year ago.

#77 statman

statman

• 4,994 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:04

I feel for him

EIOMFEGWwAE2Lfs.jpg

Would've been a perfect opportunity for:

SheldonTelepresenceRobot.gif

#78 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 543 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:04

Wait, so they come up with regulations which allows cars to follow each other much better and still keep DRS?! That will result in drive-by galore, exciting!  :down:

#79 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 9,540 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:05

Though interestingly Chase Carey explicitly stated it was a maximum not a target, which indicates to me it is their aim, but they don't think they can find that many races...

Advertisement

#80 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,878 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:07

From 2021, all of the teams on the grid will have to run a driver with two Grands Prix' or less experience in at least two free practice sessions per season – meaning we get a chance to see the new generation of talent shine on a Grand Prix weekend, whether that’s behind the wheel of a Racing Point, a Renault or a Red Bull.

They would need to qualify for a FP license though - and looking away from the km needed for an FP license, and just looking at the SL points...

Williams - Latifi drove this year, no problems
Alfa Romeo - Callum Ilott would have enough points.
Ferrari - Antonio Fuoco (barely) NOTE: He and Ilott could swap around
Red Bull and Toro Rosso - Yamamoto got a dispensation, they would've had to wait until the F3 season to finish this year to use Vips. If not, they have zero!
Renault - Jack Aitken, barely, but it's enough
Racing Point - Nope (Could proably dig out James Rossiter!)
Mercedes F1 - Nope (Could probably dig out Gary Paffett!)
McLaren - Nope
Haas F1 - Only if Fittipaldi got his FP license a couple of years ago

So, quite a few teams would have to get mighty creative to find drivers. Or at least, look outside their own ranks. There are more than enough drivers out there with more than 25 points on the SL with less than two GP's.

Edited by Myrvold, 31 October 2019 - 17:09.

#81 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 2,009 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:08

That tyre blanket **** is stupid, just get rid of it ffs. 

I like the rendition but I guarantee you the cars won't look like this come 2021. The engineers are all too smart. 

Interesting that there will be no high or low nose, its stuck to the wings. Does removing rear wing endplates help massively as well? Not sure why they done that. 

#82 Starish

Starish

• 1,386 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:08

Really can't stand that IndyCar style nose. Hideous IMO. 

#83 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 776 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:10

Imagine trying to fix the problem of only few battles during the races  without reducing the lenght and width of the current cars. :drunk: :rotfl:

Edited by Astandahl, 31 October 2019 - 17:13.

#84 Hela

Hela

• 606 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:11

The secret aerodynamicist has his say

https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/50222105

#85 Spillage

Spillage

• 6,031 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:15

I'm not actually a fan of the new look. Looks a bit messy, a bit like the cars did before aero add-ons were banned at the end of the 2008 season. Remains to be seen whether or not it improves the racing.

#86 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,658 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:20

"Nobody was complaining in 2016 that the cars are too slow"

Woah, that's a poor memory

lmao Max just said on the drivers presser that he didnt like the 2016 cars. Take that :lol:

#87 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 543 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:21

Yep still **** DRS..

3.10 Rear Wing
3.10.1 Rear Wing Profiles
Bodywork declared as “Rear Wing Profiles” must:
a. Lie within RV-RW-PROFILES.
b. In any Y plane:
i. Contain exactly two sections, except outboard of Y=550 where a single section will be allowed.
ii. The rearmost section, which will be known as the “RW Flap”, must have a chord smaller than the chord of the adjacent section where one is present.
iii. The section(s) may not contain any concave radius of curvature smaller than 100mm
iv. Where there are two sections, the distance between the two sections must lie between 10mm and 15mm at their closest position, except, in accordance with Article 3.10.10, when this distance must lie between 10mm and 85mm when the DRS system is deployed.

#88 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,145 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:24

The want to, teams said no

Teams should be told, not asked.

#89 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,145 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:28

:rotfl: $300 million a year budgets and they want to save $1.50 worth of electricity? Yah that will make a difference.

How about they can only use heaters powered by solar panels, with limits on size and number of panels. Be a bit greener.

#90 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 3,900 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:29

4.1 Minimum mass The mass of the car, without fuel, must not be less than 768Kg at all times during the Competition. If, when required for checking, a car is not already fitted with dry-weather tyres, its mass will be determined using a set of dry-weather tyres selected by the FIA technical delegate.

5.2.3 Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/h. 5.2.4 Below 10500rpm the fuel mass flow must not exceed Q (kg/h) = 0.009 N(rpm)+ 5.5

Welp.

#91 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,145 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:31

Though interestingly Chase Carey explicitly stated it was a maximum not a target, which indicates to me it is their aim, but they don't think they can find that many races...

Totally agree. You don't raise a limit without hoping\expecting to reach it.

#92 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,145 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:33

I like the rendition but I guarantee you the cars won't look like this come 2021. The engineers are all too smart. 

Interesting that there will be no high or low nose, its stuck to the wings. Does removing rear wing endplates help massively as well? Not sure why they done that. 

Removing the end plates might reduce the dirty air coming off the rear wing.

#93 MinardiCrashDummy

MinardiCrashDummy

• 401 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:36

The 2016 cars combined with tyres were the worst since i became a fan in the mid 90's and it produced the worst on track season i have ever seen.

#94 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,745 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:38

I think the main take away here is that they've nailed some good aerodynamic and other technical rules which we'll be watching for the next few years. That's something that cannot be changed.

The sporting regulations can be changed much more easily, so if the parc ferme or the weekend schedule or even the DRS aspect isn't working properly it can be changed quickly.

Now I won't say this will be the end of cars getting stuck behind slower cars due to dirty air, but it should be a vast improvement. Really, that's the important thing for the Grand Prix itself. Everything else won't actually affect what goes on between lights out and chequered flag in any meaningful way.

#95 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,878 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:39

Imagine trying to fix the problem of only few battles during the races  without reducing the lenght and width of the current cars. :drunk: :rotfl:

I was looking for that. They are still keeping the hugenormous cars? Spank my banana and call me a baboon, that sounds idiotic. But they have managed to get the cars heavier though :drunk:  :clap:

#96 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,745 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:41

They would need to qualify for a FP license though - and looking away from the km needed for an FP license, and just looking at the SL points...

Red Bull and Toro Rosso - Yamamoto got a dispensation, they would've had to wait until the F3 season to finish this year to use Vips. If not, they have zero!
McLaren - Nope

So, quite a few teams would have to get mighty creative to find drivers. Or at least, look outside their own ranks. There are more than enough drivers out there with more than 25 points on the SL with less than two GP's.

Could be a good thing. I'm a bit sick of most teams not looking beyond their own driver programmes.

#97 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,798 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:41

McLaren - Nope

de Vries had enough points at the beginning of this season already - so maybe McLaren wouldn't have dropped him (or would have dropped after giving him aforementioned two FPs)

#98 Beri

Beri

• 1,924 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 17:48

Most likely because it helps massively.

#99 statman

statman

• 4,994 posts

here some of the renders they show in the presentation of how different the cars can look under the new regs:

42ejvXU.gif

Spoiler

Advertisement

#100 OO7

OO7

• 19,255 posts

Wait, so they come up with regulations which allows cars to follow each other much better and still keep DRS?! That will result in drive-by galore, exciting!  :down:

They'll adjust the DRS zone lengths.