You were saying? :rotfl:

Béééhhh

Advertisement

#502 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,356 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:51

Merc: Hamilton and Russell.
Russell is at least a potential chance at becoming a team leader after ham, bottas is not. At worst, Russell settles into Bottas role as number 2 and they try get Max alongside asap if ham retires soon.

Ferrari: Leclerc and Ricciardo. Dan has proven he can still get along with another top driver. Still friction, but his past with vettel and max was calm sailing compared to others. Him and Charles also get on pretty well.

Red bull: max and some junior number two (or possibly vettel but I doubt red bull want that friction). I think Max will not sign long term contracts anymore and go year to year if he has to stay with red bull.

I don't think Alonso comes back and I think maybe Vettel retires. He looks haggard, tired and beaten so often outside the car these days. With a young family and 4 WDC i think he calls it a day.

Edited by goldenboy, 10 December 2019 - 07:52.

#503 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,935 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:59

is it a personality thing? what appeals to german f1 fans in general?

schumacher didnt seem like a particularly charismatic guy.

was it more to do with his incredible success?

im guessing rosberg didnt inspire people as i dont think he ever lived there.

danke

I guess it has something to do with finally having a championship worthy contender as your countryman and finally growing accustomed to all the success. Something similar to the Verstappen rage going on at the moment. I doubt if there will be such a large orange legion once Verstappen retires and there will be a new fast Dutch kid on the grid.

Aye, this.

From all the things I hear about Ziggo they push Verstappen in a similar way as RTL did to Schumacher, too. People keep moaning about Sky, but you guys should feel lucky, they dont do this anywhere near as much, if at all.

As for Rosberg vs. Vettel: Seb was pushed at the beginning of his career as the new Schumacher and then also had the success on top of it. Germans also care a lot about how down-to-earth somebody is, etc. Rosberg was never going to be popular considering that he only got succesful late and without being dominant either (quite the opposite), that he comes from a rich background, that he appears awkward and that he was until he joined Mercedes insisting to not be German but a cosmopolitan, he tried hard to fix that later, but too late.

Even if Rosberg had become as sucessful as Vettel I doubt that he would have been more popular, just like I doubt that Vettel would have been if he had more titles than Schumacher. The memories are still relatively fresh, so the "but back then everything was better" mantra very much there.

I reckon it will need a couple of decades of little success for a German to create a somewhat similar hype again, because then a new generation of fans rolls in. Except of maybe Mick, being Schumacher's son will create pretty certainly more hype than Vettel did if he is succesful.

Edited by Marklar, 10 December 2019 - 08:59.

#504 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,946 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:10

Rosberg was also seen as a rich kid which used his German nationality only for commercial reasons. See his wiki:

Because his father is Finnish and his mother is German, Rosberg has dual citizenship with both countries,[1] competing with a Finnish racing license until the conclusion of his first season in the Formula 3 Euro Series.[5] He switched to a German license to obtain major sponsorship agreements more easily
. He only lived 4 weeks in Germany when he moved to Monaco/Ibiza. Hardly recognizable for a middle class German, unlike Schumacher who had to earn his way to the top.

#505 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,357 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:12

[...]

I don't think Alonso comes back and I think maybe Vettel retires. He looks haggard, tired and beaten so often outside the car these days. With a young family and 4 WDC i think he calls it a day.

That's what I think, too. How many kids does he have? Three? I can very well image him going back to RedBull - to drive that Valkyrie at Le Mans.

#506 statman

statman

• 5,030 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:13

What if,  when Toto was MIA in brazil. Hamilton told him about going to red. He met with Verstappen agent to close the deal for 2021. Just thinking out loud. :cool:

you could be right!!

Jos-Verstappen-e1504343721289-725x500.jp

CeHBzIQWAAAFrDC.jpg

I mean, earlier in this topic, I was told that a picture of Alonso talking to Jean Todt means he's getting a seat at Ferrari!

:lol:

#507 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,207 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:29

Why would Toto give a seat to Jos ?

#508 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,946 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 13:49

His mission was to sign a Verstappen... If he contracts dad, son will come.

#509 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,871 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 15:28

I said that Alonso is returning to F1 not Ferrari

#510 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,846 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 15:53

How does Vettel justify being away from his growing family so much. It’s one thing if you don’t have any WDC. But he’s got enough WDC for each of his kids and then one.

Drivers like Bottas, Hamilton, Leclerc, Verstappen have pretty much dumped all their relationships or told the other one that F1 is more important than them.... (Ham, Bot, Leclerc). And then Rosberg who quit after he got his 1.

What is in this for Vettel? In spite of what he says about continuing, their is a lot of incentive to retire. Especially when seasons are getting longer and longer.

Edited by ARTGP, 10 December 2019 - 15:54.

#511 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,228 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 16:01

How does Vettel justify being away from his growing family so much. It’s one thing if you don’t have any WDC. But he’s got enough WDC for each of his kids and then one.

Drivers like Bottas, Hamilton, Leclerc, Verstappen have pretty much dumped all their relationships or told the other one that F1 is more important than them.... (Ham, Bot, Leclerc). And then Rosberg who quit after he got his 1.

What is in this for Vettel? In spite of what he says about continuing, their is a lot of incentive to retire. Especially when seasons are getting longer and longer.

Maybe he simply enjoys what he is doing. There are plenty of other jobs that involve spending time away from the family.

#512 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,826 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 16:07

Considering his performances in F2 he's got higher hopes of driving the damn safety car. When is Bernd Mayländer retiring from that job? He's nearly 50 at this point and Lewis says he's slow every time he's out.

I wouldn't rely Gelael as a safety car driver, considering he has managed to do two things everyone has feared.

- Crashing at the pit exit in Abu Dhabi

- Blocking the track at the castle section in Baku

#513 Ali623

Ali623

• 233 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 16:19

Maybe driving one of the greatest race cars on the planet. Personally, if I had worked my whole to achieve my dream of Formula 1, I'd be staying there for as long as I possibly could. I'm sure my kids would understand when they were older....

#514 Touchdown

Touchdown

• 149 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 17:12

Plus there's the fact that he's being paid tens of millions to do it, which will secure his children's future and then some...

#515 BRG

BRG

• 17,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 17:17

How does Vettel justify being away from his growing family so much.

He works for just 20 or so weekends a year.  He is home all week in between.  He probably sees more of his family than most working fathers who go off to work early and come home after the kids are asleep.

And the squillions he earns helps too.

#516 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,737 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 17:28

you could be right!!

Jos-Verstappen-e1504343721289-725x500.jp

CeHBzIQWAAAFrDC.jpg

I mean, earlier in this topic, I was told that a picture of Alonso talking to Jean Todt means he's getting a seat at Ferrari!

:lol:

Where is that?

ETA: Never mind. It was Melbourne.

Edited by AustinF1, 10 December 2019 - 17:30.

#517 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,062 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 17:43

I guess he still likes what he does, but I doubt if his mind is all in it when he has 3 kids back home. Hamilton has made the decision that ''doing F1 right'' means no kids or family and Bottas basically followed him in that direction now.

Edited by SonGoku, 10 December 2019 - 17:44.

#518 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,840 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 17:57

Aye, this.

From all the things I hear about Ziggo they push Verstappen in a similar way as RTL did to Schumacher, too. People keep moaning about Sky, but you guys should feel lucky, they dont do this anywhere near as much, if at all.

Oh yeah definitely. Someone like Tom Coronel is so far up Max’ his a** it’s just embarrassing really. The only who is a bit less not objective is Robert Doornbos. But he’s literally the only one. Every other Dutch driver, journalist, tv commentator and the host of the Ziggo F1 show are so pro Max, it’s really embarrassing to watch.

#519 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,846 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 19:24

He works for just 20 or so weekends a year. He is home all week in between. He probably sees more of his family than most working fathers who go off to work early and come home after the kids are asleep.

I don’t know. I mention it because it was a big factor in Rosberg’s decision to retire. The toll that F1 took on his family. Saying Vettel only works for 20 weeks a year trivializes things quite a bit.

Edited by ARTGP, 10 December 2019 - 19:26.

Advertisement

#520 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,935 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 19:33

He works for just 20 or so weekends a year. He is home all week in between. He probably sees more of his family than most working fathers who go off to work early and come home after the kids are asleep.

He does testing, PR stuff, sim work, travellinh etc. He is way more than just 20 weekends away from his family. And it's quite different to be 8 hours 5 times per week away compared to week after week.

The Belgian GP and Abu Dhabi GP showed another problem: "Normal" fathers just take the day off for their child's birthday or birth, Vettel couldnt.

Then you have also the fact that for most people the work stops once they get home. A athlete thinks 24/7 about how he can improve - and that affects relations as well.

You can pull it off if you have the right wife and mindset for this, but at this level it's nowhere near as easy as you make it out to be.

#521 oli4

oli4

• 46 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 19:34

Oh yeah definitely. Someone like Tom Coronel is so far up Max’ his a** it’s just embarrassing really. The only who is a bit less not objective is Robert Doornbos. But he’s literally the only one. Every other Dutch driver, journalist, tv commentator and the host of the Ziggo F1 show are so pro Max, it’s really embarrassing to watch.

Even the Belgian commentators are deep in Max's a**. It's become so embarrassing that this made me anti Verstappen even though he is so good i should be pro. 

#522 Piif

Piif

• 1,354 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 19:40

I've been sure that Hamilton will move to Ferrari since '17. Obviously, it's just a hunch but I'd put my money on this happening:

Hamilton replaces Vettel and joins Leclerc

Mercedes gets Verstappen to partner Bottas who gets to stay (I think they've already some sort of agreement with Verstappen, no matter what Hamilton does - this is what Wolff means by saying they want the best possible drivers in '21 in their cars)

Vettel calls it a day

Ricciardo moves back to Red Bull to partner Albon

There, called it all.

#523 Beri

Beri

• 2,167 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 20:32

I've been sure that Hamilton will move to Ferrari since '17. Obviously, it's just a hunch but I'd put my money on this happening:

Mercedes gets Verstappen to partner Bottas who gets to stay (I think they've already some sort of agreement with Verstappen, no matter what Hamilton does - this is what Wolff means by saying they want the best possible drivers in '21 in their cars)
Vettel calls it a day

There, called it all.

Actually, that's not a far fetched scenario in my book.

#524 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,338 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 20:42

Vettel calls it a day

There, called it all.

This would dovetail with the Fernando to Renault idea floated a few days back.  :eek:

#525 FNG

FNG

• 4,824 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 20:50

No chance Hamilton moves to Ferrari

#526 loki

loki

• 6,104 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:13

He works for just 20 or so weekends a year.  He is home all week in between.  He probably sees more of his family than most working fathers who go off to work early and come home after the kids are asleep.

The weekend starts Weds night or early Thurs morning flying to the race.  They are required for media appearances on Thurs.  The work week is at least Thurs through Sun plus travel.  They leave either Sunday night or Monday morning.  For Pacific Rim flyaways it adds another day on each end.  Best case is he’s home for 2 1/2 days a week.

Edited by loki, 11 December 2019 - 05:13.

#527 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,680 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:57

I don’t know. I mention it because it was a big factor in Rosberg’s decision to retire. The toll that F1 took on his family. Saying Vettel only works for 20 weeks a year trivializes things quite a bit.

Nico and Seb are different people, as are their family situations. It is entirely possible that Vettel is able to compartmentalize much better than Rosberg. If he is able to detach himself from work when he is at home, then the impact on his family is minimal. Clearly, as we have seen from his interviews, Nico was unable to do the same.

#528 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,056 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:54

so Horner says:

"..but I think ultimately when the music stops I wouldn’t be at all surprised for everybody to end up remaining in the same seats."

and I read that as VER to Merc, HAM to Ferrari are done deals 

#529 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,456 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:28

I would hate to see Verstappen at Mercedes :(

#530 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,737 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:07

so Horner says:

"..but I think ultimately when the music stops I wouldn’t be at all surprised for everybody to end up remaining in the same seats."

Why?

#531 Owen

Owen

• 12,979 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:13

so Horner says:

eh?  :confused:

#532 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,056 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:13

The saying in politics goes that if you have to deny something three times it must be true, and I reckon it's too early for him to be hosing this down if there was no smoke already

#533 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,234 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:15

I think there's smoke in all that, but I've been more convinced that Hamilton's moving to Ferrari before it entered public speculation recently. I thought it was weird of Hamilton to say in Abu Dhabi in response to Binotto's praise of him, "oh finally Ferrari had something nice to say about me after all these years". That's a strange dig to make to your future employer if they're your future employer. Idk I think if he was actively interested in making that move happen he'd be more diplomatic.

#534 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,322 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:23

The saying in politics goes that if you have to deny something three times it must be true, and I reckon it's too early for him to be hosing this down if there was no smoke already

So anyone could make up something and repeat three times and you’d believe it?

#535 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,935 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:43

Then why is Vettel not retired yet  :p 

so Horner says:

Yeah, it's pretty much what I believe. Surely the big players (at least Verstappen and Hamilton) will wait how the rule changes will affect the order, especially Verstappen could get into a funny situation if he moves just before the rule changes.

The only exception I believe could be Vettel. He has very little to lose (even if Ferrari nails the rule changes there is still Leclerc), so he can just gamble whatever he wants or retire.

There is also the 2nd Mercedes seat between Bottas and Russell (likely), and the question on whether Albon can keep his Red Bull drive.

I think there's smoke in all that, but I've been more convinced that Hamilton's moving to Ferrari before it entered public speculation recently. I thought it was weird of Hamilton to say in Abu Dhabi in response to Binotto's praise of him, "oh finally Ferrari had something nice to say about me after all these years". That's a strange dig to make to your future employer if they're your future employer. Idk I think if he was actively interested in making that move happen he'd be more diplomatic.

He also had another dig in the FIA presser and made more and more the impression like he is staying, but who knows.

I can't imagine it personally and I'm actually surprised that Ferrri wants him (I can understand that Lewis wants it). It appears to me like short term thinking to hire a big name who by then might be even passed his best (I would have 100 % understood it a few years ago). And even if he says differently it certainly is a bit of a no-confidence vote to Leclerc, who is supposed to be their future. Somebody like Ricciardo, who if Leclerc struggles could take the part as the #1 and otherwise be a great support driver seems like a much better choice in this scenario to me. And even if he isnt as marketable as Lewis he does have his appeal in this area too, while also having Italian background as well I think.

Perhaps the problem is the rumour of them having to have a WDC for the sponsors? If Kimi retires and Vettel leaves they can only take Hamilton, unless somebody else wins the title next year?

The weakening Mercedes aspect can only really work if it's safe that Max dosnt move to Mercedes. That aside that having two strong drivers when others have only one can be a disadvantage anyway.

Edited by Marklar, 11 December 2019 - 11:47.

#536 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 997 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:03

Some drivers are able to sustain long careers after having children quite young, while others decide to retire mid-career shortly after they have kids...and others wait until after they stop racing to have kids. Some don't have kids at all. 

Has Seb ever talked about any feelings surrounding his racing career affecting his kids and home life? 

Certainly it was a factor in Nico Rosberg's decision to retire, but not the only one. I think that Seb's future will be at least equally affected by how good Charles turns out to be and how Seb handles the pressure. Another difficult year, even with a win or two, and Seb might just decide it's time to leave...or be told his contract isn't being renewed. At this point he can walk away with his integrity somewhat intact, he's still very fast and getting the results more often than not. 

The 2021 grid has several locks and keys....Seb being one, Lewis being another. If Lewis moves teams or retires, I don't see Merc putting Russell in one of their cars even if they get Max....they'd want some continuity and a benchmark in Valtteri. If Seb makes it known that he is retiring, then Lewis might fancy the challenge of Ferrari. But I suspect that Charles is the real deal, and Ferrari might not want two top drawer drivers there. But they will need a (potential) winner to partner Charles....I'd pick Dan. 

#537 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,338 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:35

Certainly it was a factor in Nico Rosberg's decision to retire, but not the only one. 

Yes. He was clear at the time that having achieved his key aim in the sport, the WDC, was also a major factor. He wouldn't have retired at that point in time if he hadn't won it (according to his comments at the time). 

#538 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,946 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:36

Or it is an approved dig to keep up appearances? We have to go back to the first Kimi <> Ferrari move for a similar situation I guess?

#539 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,228 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:40

Yes. He was clear at the time that having achieved his key aim in the sport, the WDC, was also a major factor. He wouldn't have retired at that point in time if he hadn't won it (according to his comments at the time). 

I'm not sure he would have retired if he had had a different teammate.

Advertisement

#540 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,056 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:47

So anyone could make up something and repeat three times and you’d believe it?

In politics, if something is bullsh*t, you don't deny it - you ignore it and it goes away.

#541 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,338 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:50

I'm not sure he would have retired if he had had a different teammate.

Naturally. It's not possible to be sure about something like that. 

#542 Ali623

Ali623

• 233 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 13:35

Just can’t see Hamilton at Ferrari, they’re polar opposites of each other. And I think if it did happen, the relationship would be broken within a year

#543 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 445 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 14:21

A Jos + Max lineup at Merc would be someting.

#544 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,846 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 15:45

Just can’t see Hamilton at Ferrari, they’re polar opposites of each other. And I think if it did happen, the relationship would be broken within a year

There was some article posted about it, but there is a scenario whre Ham goes to Ferrari, but it involves a massive reshuffling 

Then why is Vettel not retired yet  :p 

Yeah, it's pretty much what I believe. Surely the big players (at least Verstappen and Hamilton) will wait how the rule changes will affect the order, especially Verstappen could get into a funny situation if he moves just before the rule changes.

The only exception I believe could be Vettel. He has very little to lose (even if Ferrari nails the rule changes there is still Leclerc), so he can just gamble whatever he wants or retire.

There is also the 2nd Mercedes seat between Bottas and Russell (likely), and the question on whether Albon can keep his Red Bull drive.

He also had another dig in the FIA presser and made more and more the impression like he is staying, but who knows.

I can't imagine it personally and I'm actually surprised that Ferrri wants him (I can understand that Lewis wants it). It appears to me like short term thinking to hire a big name who by then might be even passed his best (I would have 100 % understood it a few years ago). And even if he says differently it certainly is a bit of a no-confidence vote to Leclerc, who is supposed to be their future. Somebody like Ricciardo, who if Leclerc struggles could take the part as the #1 and otherwise be a great support driver seems like a much better choice in this scenario to me. And even if he isnt as marketable as Lewis he does have his appeal in this area too, while also having Italian background as well I think.

Perhaps the problem is the rumour of them having to have a WDC for the sponsors? If Kimi retires and Vettel leaves they can only take Hamilton, unless somebody else wins the title next year?

The weakening Mercedes aspect can only really work if it's safe that Max dosnt move to Mercedes. That aside that having two strong drivers when others have only one can be a disadvantage anyway.

From my understanding of it all, Mattia and company are happy with Leclerc and some other driver who could or could not be Vettel.

It's Elkann who is stirring the pot with regards to Hamilton. and when asked in the press, Binotto certainly would not object to the idea of Hamilton (what sane team principle would object, Ham is like one of players that is "overpowered" in a video game), but I don't think it's in Binotto's plans that they need Hamilton. 

a bit like the tension in the team when Marchionne wanted to bring Leclerc over to Ferrari and get rid of Kimi.

Edited by ARTGP, 11 December 2019 - 15:47.

#545 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,871 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 20:36

Horner is basically saying that probably nothing major will change for 2021. Ham, Ves and Lec not changing the seats will not be surprising.

#546 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 663 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 22:03

I think this statement is incorrect. His passion, charisma, style, professionalism, and motivation is something the Italians would love allot, he is the ideal driver to fit into Ferrari...

Changes in the operation and management is something he would demand though, but he could be a perfect fit and would push Ferrari to winning titles again, the team needs him or someone who will fulfill their desire for championships with consistent results, If Charles can bring that in the future we are yet to see as Vettel has clearly has shown he cannot produce the results for a team like Ferrari even when they give him the equipment required. 

Edited by ForzaFormula, 11 December 2019 - 22:13.

#547 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,886 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:23

The source is wonky, take it with a grain of salt.

Vettel already contacted McLaren for 2021, apparently he is not sure Ferrari will offer him another contract. Ricciardo interested in a McLaren seat too.

https://www.marca.co...e3488b45bd.html

Seems logical that Vettel will start knocking some doors as a back up plan in case Ferrari doesn't offer him to continue.

#548 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,884 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:32

Ricciardo anticipating an Alonso return to Renault perhaps? Interesting.

#549 Reddington

Reddington

• 649 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:06

On a Dutch site Marko has been quoted about Max: “It really is up to us now to give Max a car in which he can become World Champion next year. Otherwise he will leave. There are things going on behind the scenes right now and the coming few weeks will be critical.”

Edited by Reddington, 12 December 2019 - 12:08.

#550 Ali623

Ali623

• 233 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:17

Seems like Hamilton and Verstappen's decisions will essentially decide the drivers market, since they're the two drivers that any team would take.

Hamilton - Stay at Mercedes or move to Ferrari

Verstappen - Stay at RB or move to Mercedes

Everything else will revolve around that.