- - - - -

2021 Formula 1 Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
1475 replies to this topic

#1451 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,227 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 15:40

at the end of 2023 Hamilton would be almost 39. Makes sense to me to not commit for too long for now. Could be that he wants to retire after 2022 or that Max becomes available over exit clauses etc.

might be 2+1 for example.

It could be Mercedes not wanting to commit to an aging driver before knowing if he's really still that competitive by then. It could be Lewis not wanting to commit for much longer beyond the regulation changes (in case Mercedes messes up for 2021 or beyond), or him already predicting he might want to retire. Could be part of a planned transition to focusing on Russell or someone else. Could be exit clauses complicating the deals. Etc.

Still, I would've thought they'd want to sync contracts. This could eventually end up placing them in a very awkward position for the 2023 season if Lewis retires at the end of 2022, but then they can't get Max neither Charles (both signed up for longer already as of now), and Russell/Ocon turn out not to be that great.

But yeah we just don't know a whole lot about these deals and I'm essentially speculating on speculation from the media, as the Lewis renewal deal is not announced.

Advertisement

#1452 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,227 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 15:42

Does it put to bed the idea of him ever signing for Ferrari for a meaningful stint? This contract would leave him unavailable until he is 38, and Ferrari team leaders usually commit to longish contracts (e.g. three years). Could it work? 

Definitely. Next year is the final chance of him moving to Ferrari over his career - Ferrari won't want to be a retirement home, unless pretty unusual circumstances happen (ex. Mario Andretti getting a go in the cars in late 1982 in his 40s, but only because their main driver got killed and their 2nd driver got seriously injured too).

#1453 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 827 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:44

I think Mercedes has the say here, with the car they have every season they can make any driver they want a champion, for now is Lewis and now that both “main seats” are secured in the other top 2 teams Lewis dont have a lot of options.

#1454 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 15:03

Well, it's silly season so here comes today's Autobild/Mercedes rumour  :cat: 

Red Bull thinks that Wolff was very surprised about Verstappen's contract extension, they believe that he thought that he could have secured him with ease for his team.

Apparently Wolff already agreed to a contract with Liberty Media to take over from Carey, but Ferrari vetoed this

According to Bernie Wolff's plan now if Mercedes pulls out is to take over the team together with Stroll under the Aston Martin name.

https://f1-insider.c...-mercedes-team/

#1455 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,227 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 15:25

I think Mercedes has the say here, with the car they have every season they can make any driver they want a champion, for now is Lewis and now that both “main seats” are secured in the other top 2 teams Lewis dont have a lot of options.

They might stop having that car every season at any time, specially under new regulations. They already very much needed Lewis the last 3 seasons, specially 2018 but also the last few months of last year. This isn't 2014 anymore, Mercedes can't just make anyone they want world champion at ease with a huge advantage.

#1456 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 827 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 17:15

They might stop having that car every season at any time, specially under new regulations. They already very much needed Lewis the last 3 seasons, specially 2018 but also the last few months of last year. This isn't 2014 anymore, Mercedes can't just make anyone they want world champion at ease with a huge advantage.

Only last season both Ferrari drivers made 504 points combined, both Red Bull drivers Made 417 and Lewis Hamilton alone made 413 points but sure lets pretend Mercedes hasn't had the most dominant car in history for the last 6 seasons so Lewis Hamilton championships don't look like the walk in the park it while ignoring how the 2014 rules were almost written by Mercedes and cover our eyes and ears on how Pirelli build the tires to suit Mercedes while allowing them to do illegal tests without significant repercussions.

Edited by theflyingwheel, 18 January 2020 - 17:16.

#1457 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,111 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 17:18

2017 and 2018 they didn't have it all their own way, but last year nobody outside a Mercedes was going to be champion. They were too consistently far ahead. Ferrari and Red Bull might have been faster on their days, but their days came too infrequently.

#1458 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 17:24

Only last season both Ferrari drivers made 504 points combined, both Red Bull drivers Made 417 and Lewis Hamilton alone made 413 points but sure lets pretend Mercedes hasn't had the most dominant car in history for the last 6 seasons so Lewis Hamilton championships don't look like the walk in the park it while ignoring how the 2014 rules were almost written by Mercedes and cover our eyes and ears on how Pirelli build the tires to suit Mercedes while allowing them to do illegal tests without significant repercussions.

Conspiracy theories, how surprising.

Nice of you to gloss over both 2017 and 2018 too, btw. Both seasons where the driver made the difference and where Ferrari enjoyed a tyre advantage (for the latter even a engine advantage, 2014 rules and all that, sure thing) :p

Even ignoring the revisionism it's downright foolish to believe that Mercedes will just dominate the next years and can put whoever they want into the car. But probably you think they wrote the next regulations too ;)

Edited by Marklar, 18 January 2020 - 17:39.

#1459 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,227 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 17:49

You clearly watch a different sport so I'll leave you to your own conclusions of whatever happens in that universe, I guess.

Advertisement

#1460 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,227 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 17:51

2017 and 2018 they didn't have it all their own way, but last year nobody outside a Mercedes was going to be champion. They were too consistently far ahead. Ferrari and Red Bull might have been faster on their days, but their days came too infrequently.

Over the first half of the season yes, and that made all the difference.

Had the season started in the summer though, it'd have been a totally different story because it was pretty close and unpredictable between the top 3 teams from then on. They would absolutely have needed Lewis then. And my point is they obviously can't bank on the first half of 2019 happening over and over again in the near future.

#1461 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,677 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 18:19

Red Bull thinks that Wolff was very surprised about Verstappen's contract extension, they believe that he thought that he could have secured him with ease for his team.

Apparently Wolff already agreed to a contract with Liberty Media to take over from Carey, but Ferrari vetoed this

According to Bernie Wolff's plan now if Mercedes pulls out is to take over the team together with Stroll under the Aston Martin name.

Wow! Verstappen. Wolff, Ferrari, Liberty, Mercedes, Aston Martin, and Stroll all in 1 article???? What next .... Alonso to drive for an Andretti managed team re-badged Renault team for 2021?

#1462 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,697 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 18:56

Wow! Verstappen. Wolff, Ferrari, Liberty, Mercedes, Aston Martin, and Stroll all in 1 article???? What next .... Alonso to drive for an Andretti managed team re-badged Renault team for 2021?

You know ... I have been wondering about the possibilities of Andretti entering F1. More Honda power, baby ...

#1463 loki

loki

• 6,098 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 19:46

Apparently Wolff already agreed to a contract with Liberty Media to take over from Carey, but Ferrari vetoed this.

Ferrari doesn’t have any sort of power over how FOM is managed.  Wolff isn’t the guy to replace Carey.  That big picture position is more large enterprise management than F1 specific operations.  That’s not Wolff’s wheelhouse.  Wolff would be more akin to what Brawn does.  Toto is a mid level director not an enterprise exec.  Someone like Chris Pook or Kim Green would be a better choice.  Dieter Zetsche would be perfect.  I hear Tony George has some free time...

Edited by loki, 18 January 2020 - 19:47.

#1464 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,210 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:50

You know ... I have been wondering about the possibilities of Andretti entering F1. More Honda power, baby ...

If I were Michael Andretti I'm not sure I'd wanna set foot on the F1 arena ever again!...Once bitten twice shy and all that...

#1465 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,111 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:22

If I were Michael Andretti I'm not sure I'd wanna set foot on the F1 arena ever again!...Once bitten twice shy and all that...

Unless he's grown up and realised that if you don't do it half arsed, it's not so bad.

#1466 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,840 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 13:14

Next up is Lance Stroll in a Mercedes then, who’d have ever thought that.  :clap:

#1467 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,058 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 13:31

Wolff GP

#1468 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 615 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 14:10

If Stroll and Wolff do Aston Martin, why not buy Racing Point? :-D
Friendly customer engine deal, should be fun for them. And Liberty might like that. Could they do some Bernie channeling magic there?

Edited by ElectricBoogie, 19 January 2020 - 14:29.

#1469 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,738 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 14:39

Would be a bad scenario for Racing Point...

#1470 djparky

djparky

• 1,116 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 16:39

No chance that Andretti will do that.

#1471 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,677 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 17:08

I thought that about a couple of his other projects, and I was wrong. Andretti thinks big, I wouldn't rule anything out with him.

#1472 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,119 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 20:34

I thought that about a couple of his other projects, and I was wrong. Andretti thinks big, I wouldn't rule anything out with him.

Roger Penske would like that to happen. Less focus of Andretti onto Indycar and Indy, making dominating Indy even more easy for him and his team....

#1473 Beri

Beri

• 2,152 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 20:46

Would be a bad scenario for Racing Point...

This.

#1474 ANF

ANF

• 10,717 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 20:58

Maybe it would be a good scenario for Racing Point if Mercedes becomes Wolff & Stroll GP and Racing Point becomes Stroll & Wolff GP?

#1475 Beri

Beri

• 2,152 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 21:00

Strolling Wolff Grand Prix Enterprises powered by Aston Martin

#1476 taz

taz

• 371 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 21:51

Would be funny if it parallels 2009 with the Brawn GP team

2009 -> Brawn GP, Ross Brawn buys Honda F1 team, puts Mercedes engines in it and wins because of the rules change

2021 -> Wolff GP, Toto Wolff buys Mercedes F1 team, puts Honda engines in it and wins because of the rules change?

full circle :p

but that's never gonna happen :p