- - - - -

2019 Brazilian GP build up thread

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 19:31

Did someone say there was a Grand Prix this weekend?!

How can you tell when the championship has already been decided? Late build up threads ... :drunk:

Only two races remain in 2019, but we've saved one of the best for last. The historic, iconic, dramatic Autódromo José Carlos Pace - better known as Interlagos.

The championship may well be decided, but this isn't some mid-table, nothing to play for, dead-rubber! There's scores to settle, and prizes to be won ... like 3rd in the drivers championship (invite to the gala!), and 6th and 8th in the constructors.

Is your favourite team or driver already 'on the beach'?

maxresdefault.jpg

Or are they 'up for the fight'?

skysports-f1-ocon-verstappen-4484861.jpg

We'll soon find out ... welcome to Round 20 (twenty!!) of the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship.

image.jpg

The Circuit

The iconic Senna S ... the plunge towards Descido do Lago (Lake Descent) ... the twists and turns before ISTHATGLOCK? Juncao, then a final drive for the line. 70 seconds of drama and history.

image.png

There's only one man to take you around ...

Tyre selection

A step harder versus 2018 from Pirelli, slightly conservative from Mercedes and McLaren, but it should be a standard one-stop.

EIn-KGn-SWk-AAdr5j.jpg

Schedule

I can't make fancy tables like Marklar :( Damn you South America ...

If you live in on >> that side of the globe it will be in the evening / night
If you live on << that side of the globe it will be in the morning / afternoon

F1.com time zone converter

Weather

brazweather.png

Small threat of rain Friday, but otherwise dry and mild ...

Talking points

Will Hamilton keep his foot on the gas after his title win?

Can Ferrari fight back after their mysterious loss of pace? (Leclerc has a 10 place grid drop)

Will Max and Albon finally have a clean weekend for intra-team comparison?

Who will triumph in Racing Point vs Toro Rosso?

Why isn't Brazil the real finale?

--

Predictions and stuff welcome below ...

Edited by TomNokoe, 14 November 2019 - 22:57.

Advertisement

#2 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 20:09

The real question. When will people shooting video off the TV screen learn to turn off the ruddy image stabilisation? That video is unwatchable. I appreciate that Bernie/Chase remove truly good quality vids from YouTube etc but that was painful on my eyes and brain.

Always look forward to Interlagos, almost the last traditional track not to have been butchered. It's not quite what it was 40 years ago but it's still kept it's character. Should either be the opening or closing race of the season. 

#3 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 20:12

Thanks for finally starting this thread.

Cant have Brazil build up without ...

#4 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,991 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 20:22

Didn't think there was a race on this week.....Without the build up thread..... :clap:

#5 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 20:40

20 GPs? Jesus, just end this already.

#6 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 20:45

Good job Tom.

Talking points

Will Hamilton keep his foot on the gas after his title win? Yes of course, perhaps even more so. Lewis races to win, I think we'll see "hammer-time" (I hate that label) last the remainder of the season.

Can Ferrari fight back after their mysterious loss of pace? (Leclerc has a 10 place grid drop)  No, but Vettel will podium.

Will Max and Albon finally have a clean weekend for intra-team comparison? No, one of them will mess it up in either Q or early in the race.

Who will triumph in Racing Point vs Toro Rosso? Racing Point this week.

Why isn't Brazil the real finale? Because for the most part, Brazilian coffee is brewed from robusta beans. Not F1 quality.

#7 CL16

CL16

• 1,302 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 21:08

Shame this isn’t the season closer, great atmosphere and send of to the 2019 season yet we must go to the desert car park.

#8 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,513 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 21:33

With Toto gone, i do wonder who is going to hold the line at Mercedes.

:wave:

#9 dissident

dissident

• 1,618 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 21:38

20 GPs? Jesus, just end this already.

... and Liberty wants even more, yikes.

#10 KevR

KevR

• 459 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 21:55

I think it's great. I'd love to have a 1-month shorter winter break and 2-3 GP more. I don't get the moaning. I love motorsport, so the more of it the better.

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 21:57

I think it's great. I'd love to have a 1-month shorter winter break and 2-3 GP more. I don't get the moaning. I love motorsport, so the more of it the better.

Not all of us have the luxury of no commitments every sunday of the year. But more worrying is the strain on the team personnel.

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,888 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 22:03

Not all of us have the luxury of no commitments every sunday of the year. But more worrying is the strain on the team personnel.

Indeed, I work (at least) every other weekend, and I am not going to spend the other weekends saying no to social stuff because I have to watch some race. So it usually ends up with watching the race after it's finished.

#13 KevR

KevR

• 459 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 22:04

So you don't want more races because your not able to watch all of them? Doesn't seem like a great reason to me. You can always watch the replays as well. I was talking from my point of view, not teams', nevertheless I agree when it comes to team personnel, but it can always be more spread in time and the salaries bigger.

#14 dissident

dissident

• 1,618 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 22:04

Don't get me wrong, I will still watch.

But it removes the tension from the races & if there's no title fight the season will be a drag.

#15 KevR

KevR

• 459 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 22:07

Don't get me wrong, I will still watch.

But it removes the tension from the races & if there's no title fight the season will be a drag.

I think the bigger problem are some dead races in the calendar, like Paul Ricard, instead of the number of them. But I get your point.

#16 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 22:51

The real question. When will people shooting video off the TV screen learn to turn off the ruddy image stabilisation? That video is unwatchable. I appreciate that Bernie/Chase remove truly good quality vids from YouTube etc but that was painful on my eyes and brain.

I've found a much better version of the lap. OP has been edited!

And speaking of "Senna in a McLaren", Martin Brundle took the MP4/4 for a spin today.

20191114-230355.jpg

Edited by TomNokoe, 14 November 2019 - 23:20.

#17 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,321 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 00:52

It is now 9:52pm here in Sao Paulo. It has been raining for the last 4 hours.

#18 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,629 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:13

If 21 Gp's are too much for ya there's a solution. Don't watch. Problem solved. Save yer bitchin for someone who cares.

There's 31 other non race Sundays in a year.  Don't worry about team personal. They've made the decision to work in F1. Freewill and all that.

Some years the title goes down to the last race, and some years it doesn't. BFD.

#19 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:27

16 or so grands prix meant each one was a special occasion. The more you have, the less special each one is.

And like many people, I have commitments some weekends. I used to be able to justify fitting these around the F1 schedule, that simply isn't possible any more. You can say "just don't watch some races" and that is quite so, I am not able to watch them all....which further dilutes the "special" feeling that F1 used to give....which makes me less likely to watch the races I am at home for.....and so on. The introduction of more races simply makes the whole thing somewhat less of an occasion and people less likely to make a special effort to watch. The reduced gap between seasons has the same effect. Waiting four months makes it extra special to want to wake oneself up to watch the Australian GP at 6am or whatever time it's on. 

Brazil really should be the season opener or closer too. Classic track, what always looks like a great crowd, often great racing...rather than the Abu Dhabi damp squib where the organisers can put on as many fireworks as they wish but can't fake enthusiasm from the crowd or teams.

Advertisement

#20 djparky

djparky

• 1,992 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:40

Indy Car leaves me wanting more, F1 wanting less...they all feel the same to me....Hamilton whines a lot, Wolff claims Mercedes will struggle...Ferrari will be quick but mess it up....William's will be dead last...and the same people end up on the podium every week.

At least I can opt out, I feel for the team personnel.

#21 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,862 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:40

I'd gladly have 40 races per season, but that would quite successfully ruin my social life and the lives of the F1 personnel. 

I mean, who needs a family and friends when you got Crofty? Amiright? 

Edited by Okyo, 15 November 2019 - 06:43.

#22 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:20

I dont want F1 to end like the NBA where I'm forced to mostly only watch highlights, not because I wouldnt like it but because it's just too much.

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:30

If 21 Gp's are too much for ya there's a solution. Don't watch. Problem solved. Save yer bitchin for someone who cares.

There's 31 other non race Sundays in a year.  Don't worry about team personal. They've made the decision to work in F1. Freewill and all that.

Some years the title goes down to the last race, and some years it doesn't. BFD.

That's not a solution. Not watching is the problem not the solution. I want to watch, but life gets in the way.

Unless you want F1 to be a young, single person's sport, the team personnel also have lives and families and it's not just a matter of saying  go work somewhere else. We're talking about people who are doing jobs that they love and have become experts in said jobs, but they deserve as much time off as in any other job.

#24 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,530 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:37

I think the bigger problem are some dead races in the calendar, like Paul Ricard, instead of the number of them. But I get your point.

It's a fair point, Spain, Paul Ricard, Sochi, Yas Marina ect... are complete non-events each year. I'm all for more races, but it's obvious what ones need to go

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,518 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:59

My problem is that the product is rather samey. It's always the same drivers, they mostly finish in the same order and half the tracks are interchangeable.

At least in the days of CART's mega calendars you had a variety of big ovals, small ovals, street and road courses, and at least 12 cars capable of winning.

I'm not saying expanding the calendar won't work or that there aren't good reasons to do it, just that as a fan it's not something I would ever have asked for.

That said, it's Interlagos this weekend! No one would ever accuse this event as being just like all the others.

#26 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,183 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:59

You don't need to watch every F1 race live to be a F1 fan. I'm a football fan like so many millions of others, and can't watch every single important match of the season because life gets in the way.

Now it is true that too many events cheapens the prestige of each individual event. In football, we're already seeing this a lot, the Europa League/UEFA Cup and the FA Cup for example, have nowhere near the same prestige they used to have 30 years ago. Football is also starting to get a very serious problem with burnout for players who play too many matches per season. This isn't going to happen to F1 drivers with 25 races per year, but it sure would be tough on the team staff.

#27 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,183 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:05

My problem is that the product is rather samey. It's always the same drivers, they mostly finish in the same order and half the tracks are interchangeable.

At least in the days of CART's mega calendars you had a variety of big ovals, small ovals, street and road courses, and about 12 cars capable of winning.

I'm not saying expanding the calendar won't work or that there aren't good reasons to do it, just that as a fan it's not something I would ever have asked for.

Yeah this is also true.

If a few of the 25 races had different formats or felt special in some other way, it would be better in terms of marketing otherwise its just more of the same routine.

I'm making football analogies over and over again, but football wouldnt survive if the 70 matches we have per year would be 70 normal rounds of the Premier league. Nobody would bother to watch that, that would be boring as hell. Instead we have 38 rounds of the Premier League, then a few knockout matches of the Champions league, then the FA Cup, then the national team competitions like the World Cup etc etc.

I'm not saying a separate cup for certain F1 rounds would work, nor do I even want that as a fan, but yeah they need to make events stand out otherwise people will be bored out of their minds.

Edited by noikeee, 15 November 2019 - 11:06.

#28 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,518 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:14

I'd quite like an "extra" competition with different rules that didn't count towards the main world championship.

But the speed, danger and cost to run and repair the cars mitigates against too much experimentation. We don't want an Indycar Las Vegas 2011 situation on our hands after all. For instance I'd love to see a non-championship race where they have to run without front or rear wings or diffusers but the insurers would probably throw a fit.

#29 BRG

BRG

• 25,903 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:19

With Toto gone, i do wonder who is going to hold the line at Mercedes.

:wave:

Wot, no Toto?  How will they manage without that slow lingering zoom in onto the right side of his nose, that graces EVERY race??  It will spoil the whole experience for me if it is missing.

They could use stock footage, I guess.   In fact, I wonder if they already do as the shot is identical every time...

As for the more/too many races question, just look at NASCAR.  They have several hundred races every week, or so it seems, and NONE of them are at all special anymore. As the increasingly empty stands seem to testify.

Edited by BRG, 15 November 2019 - 11:19.

#30 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:20

At least in the days of CART's mega calendars you had a variety of big ovals, small ovals, street and road courses, and at least 12 cars capable of winning.

That said, it's Interlagos this weekend! No one would ever accuse this event as being just like all the others.

Suggested new track slogan: It's not Interchangeable, it's Interlagos!

#31 Claymore25

Claymore25

• 722 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:07

Since this sunday is my little niece baptism, I will miss the race, so I hope for a Ferrari win?

Edited by Claymore25, 15 November 2019 - 12:07.

#32 CSF

CSF

• 2,812 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:15

Since this sunday is my little niece baptism, I will miss the race, so I hope for a Ferrari win?

No because they aren't allowed to cheat anymore so they will come last. 

#33 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,183 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:28

I'd quite like an "extra" competition with different rules that didn't count towards the main world championship.

But the speed, danger and cost to run and repair the cars mitigates against too much experimentation. We don't want an Indycar Las Vegas 2011 situation on our hands after all. For instance I'd love to see a non-championship race where they have to run without front or rear wings or diffusers but the insurers would probably throw a fit.

I think different car designs are off the question. It's way too expensive to design alternate cars plus there's the question of how does it count towards the budget cap etc etc. It's just not feasible.

However I can easily imagine them toying with the sporting regs for certain rounds, like they've already proposed very publicly (when it came to reverse grids). I'm not sure I like that at all as a fan, but it's possible. They could experiment with formats like shorter races, attempt different tyre regulations (ie, a race where there's no mandatory pitstops or mandatory tyre compound usage), reverse grids, qualifying races, etc etc. I guess I'd be less annoyed with tinkering like that if those races were part of a separate cup, or scored with fewer points, but I doubt the race promoters would be okay with that as they signed up to host full blown F1 GPs not lesser events.

#34 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:02

I also agree this is a good idea.

Keep the main calendar at 16-17 races, and then have 4 or 5 non championship "events", not necessarily races, to pit the drivers against eachother. It could literally be something as stupid as an F1 Assault Course with slaloms, gates, mandatory donuts, best time wins. Who cares!? F1 takes itself too seriously. If you want it to be like the Champions League or whatever, then introduce some equal machinery and let them have at it.

Edited by TomNokoe, 15 November 2019 - 13:03.

#35 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,991 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:09

I also agree this is a good idea.

Keep the main calendar at 16-17 races, and then have 4 or 5 non championship "events", not necessarily races, to pit the drivers against eachother. It could literally be something as stupid as an F1 Assault Course with slaloms, gates, mandatory donuts, best time wins. Who cares!? F1 takes itself too seriously. If you want it to be like the Champions League or whatever, then introduce some equal machinery and let them have at it.

You mean like a ROC with F1 cars?.....

#36 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:18

FP1 is a total washout

#37 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:23

You mean like a ROC with F1 cars?.....

Psh, whatever, I don't care. Sure. It literally doesn't matter. Just something zany!

FP1 is a total washout

Did you not read the OP, I said "small threat of rain!" :rolleyes:

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:30

"small" :p

#39 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 1,290 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:40

Will wet tyres work with this rain?

Edit: just saw a close up. No way they will run if the rain keeps on.

Edited by Tiakumosan, 15 November 2019 - 13:48.

Advertisement

#40 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,595 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:56

Looks from the forecast it is going to rain today, tomorrow and also on Sunday.

How many sets of full wets & intermediate tires the teams have available for the weekend?

#41 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,952 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:58

BBC weather says 6% rain Saturday and 1% Sunday

Sucks, the best config is the FPs dry and the weekend wet

#42 ANF

ANF

• 29,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:05

It's... very wet.

#43 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:07

Finally, a proper racetrack, shame the season doesn't end here.

#44 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:13

Looks from the forecast it is going to rain today, tomorrow and also on Sunday.

How many sets of full wets & intermediate tires the teams have available for the weekend?

All forecasts I saw say dry tomorrow and on sunday.

As for your question: 4 Inters + 3 Wets, you get a extra set of Inters if FP1 or FP2 were wet or if rain is forecasted for FP3.

Edited by Marklar, 15 November 2019 - 14:14.

#45 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,595 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:16

All forecasts I saw say dry tomorrow and on sunday.

As for your question: 4 Inters + 3 Wets, you get a extra set of Inters if FP1 or FP2 were wet or if rain is forecasted for FP3.

Thanks for the tire info, I did not know they have that many available.

Edited by Jvr, 15 November 2019 - 14:18.

#46 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 1,290 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:18

Ric said on brazilian TV that he wanted to go out but he won't now because they have few wet tyres.

#47 Beri

Beri

• 11,534 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:36

BBC weather says 6% rain Saturday and 1% Sunday

Sucks, the best config is the FPs dry and the weekend wet

I don't know where the Beeb got it's information from, the Dutch commentator is reporting ongoing showers for the entire weekend. Even going as far as reporting that Pirelli has enough full wets to provide if the entire weekend is driven in complete wet conditions.

#48 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,518 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:40

BBC gets its information from Meteo France. The UK Met Office agrees with MF that rain is unlikely in Sao Paulo on Saturday/Sunday. Accuweather says it's 50/50 whether there'll be rain on Saturday morning, otherwise their forecast is clear.

#49 ANF

ANF

• 29,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:40

I don't think there would be this much running in FP1 if the rest of the weekend was 100% dry.

#50 Beri

Beri

• 11,534 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:42

BBC gets its information from Meteo France. The UK Met Office agrees with MF that rain is unlikely in Sao Paulo on Saturday/Sunday. Accuweather says it's 50/50 whether there'll be rain on Saturday morning, otherwise their forecast is clear.

Strange that various stories then seem to find it's way into the paddock. Anywho, Interlagos is a gem of a track. Even in dry conditions.