Photo
- - - - -

2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix build up thread - That's All Folks!

• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 22:43

(Warning: reasonably long post)

The F1 fraternity bids farewell to the 2019 season this weekend in Abu Dhabi. After 8 months of non-stop action, the show draws to a close. 257 days since Australia FP1, it's been a journey of anticipation, hope, thrill, joy, but also angst and tragedy.

The 198th and last race of the 2010s, also the final F1 race for Nico Hulkenberg and Robert Kubica.

In a weeks' time the sporting world will be treated to the Clash on the Dunes, but for now we'll make do with the Dead-rubber in the Desert!

Welcome to Round 21 (twenty-one!) of the 2019 Formula One World Championship

image.png

How did we get here? (for those who haven't been watching!!)

February/March - The chilly Catalunya winds whispered the beginnings of change, only for hopes to be dramatically dashed with a chronic case of Australian deja-vu and Bahraini fever. Mercedes domination, Ferrari implosion, Bottas 2.0, and to whom it may concern: R.I.P. Charlie.

charlie.jpg

2019australianf1gpstart.jpg

Sebastian-Vettel-1554187587.jpg

April/May - The smoggy Chinese air clouded Ferrari's vision as the tensions started to build. Or maybe it was the setting Baku sun? - and remember that pesky drain cover? Mercedes remained peerless as the opposition could barely muster a challenge. Hamilton stole a precious Monaco pole and defied the odds (sort of) against Verstappen, a precursor to their growing rivalry. Leclerc crashed in Baku qualifying and was bumped out of Q1 at his home race. Red Bull stuttered. Vettel could not shake his 2018 hangover. But it was an icon of Ferrari-past and Mercedes-present that left us truly stunned, again. R.I.P. Niki.

image.png

2574434-53387390-2560-1440.jpg

image.jpg

June/July - The season jolted into life with a string of fantastic races. Vettel was denied his first win of the year after intense controversy in Canada. Verstappen produced one of the drives of the year to win in Austria. Hamilton cantered to another Silverstone victory, in the shadow of a ridiculous Leclerc/Verstappen battle. This crazy period of races concluded with an even crazier German GP with standout drives from Kvyat, Stroll and Albon. A sole point for Williams. Mercedes was befallen by the Netflix-curse and experienced 125 years of embarrassment in 2 hours. The contrast in the Ferrari garage was yet to reach crescendo despite another Leclerc crash, and another Vettel error.

107649745-cha-max-hero-epa.jpg

image.png

August/September pt 1. - The Hamilton/Verstappen duel was reignited with episode II in Hungary. Ferrari's season nadir. Carlos Sainz underlined his how much of a smooooooooth operator he really was. Gasly was unceremoniously booted from Red Bull, in favour of the emerging Albon. Summer break. Leclerc finally got it right with a bittersweet debut win in Belgium, but then backed it up with euphoric victory in Monza. The Ferrari garage finally reached peak contrast as Vettel ignominiously spun. A gut-wrenching tragedy in the Belgian Ardennes. R.I.P. Anthoine.

L5R1379.jpg

Coppa-Charles-Leclerc-Monza.jpg

September pt.2/October - Ferrari's update shocked the paddock, but not as much as Vettel's Singapore undercut shocked Leclerc. Back to normality in Russia, Ferrari shot themselves in the foot after start-light shenanigans, the ever-present Hamilton ready to pick up the scraps. A typhoon condensed the Japanese weekend and an early chequered flag condensed an anti-climatic race.

Mercedes crowned Constructors' champions.

vettel-victory.jpg

hzmerc1014.jpg

November - Hamilton seals the championship in the US, Verstappen steals acclaim in Brazil. Ferrari come to blows. Gasly completes his redemption arc. McLaren finally (finally!) back on the podium.
That's how we got here.

h-AM-1572940150.jpg

2bVmsYH.jpg

Carlos-Sainz-and-Mc-Laren-celebrate-Braz

Okay, but there's still one race to go ...

Yes, fine, okay. Boring graphic time.

image.png

EJu-Pl-Tr-X0-AA1-FSU.jpg

weather.png

Unnamed road :stoned:  Hamilton Highway? Bottas Boulevard? Albon Avenue?

Schedule

Regular F1 timing, Bernie-era. Same times as Singapore this year, for example.

UK // CET

FP1 0900 // 1000

FP2 1300 // 1400

FP3 1000 // 1100

Q 1300 // 1400

R 1310 // 1410

F1.com time zone converter

Talking Points

Toto is back for Mercedes, can they rebound from their Brazil horror-show?

Have Ferrari cleared the air sufficiently for a final 2019 hurrah?

Can Red Bull underline their 2020 aspirations? Can Albon take it to Max at a circuit he's familar and historically quick at?

Can Toro Rosso somehow steal P5 from Renault in the Constructors?

Come on, what are we actually doing here? :D

folks-1.jpg

--

Assorted season memories, Liberty Media memes and Pirelli Tyre Test predictions welcome below :wave: :stoned:

Edited by TomNokoe, 28 November 2019 - 11:09.

Advertisement

#2 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 23:04

Good op.

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,040 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 23:09

Nice post Tom
We’ve had some fun races this year.

I care less and less for this series.
Indycar and IMSA are way better

Such is life.

Jp

#4 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:48

Smoking hot OP, Tom; proper Cheers.

I actually quite loved this season. As Jp said, IMSA and Indycar are untouchable at the moment, but I gotta say that this year will stay with me for some time. So many storylines and so many quality moments. Thanks y'all for sharing 'em here.

We've lost racers along the way, but not in vain. Cheers Anthoine, Niki and Charlie.

#5 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:05

Leclerc and Vettel were both due in the press conference today, but Vettel's wife, Hanna, has just given birth to a baby boy, so Seb has gone home :D

Ultimate sidekick!

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:53

Can I just say thank you to Tom and everyone else who's put so much effort into the OPs this season. They've made this forum a nicer place to visit. :up:

#7 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:13

Can I just say thank you to Tom and everyone else who's put so much effort into the OPs this season. They've made this forum a nicer place to visit. :up:

f1paul, pkonsti, Marklar, GoldenColt, Pimpwerx :kiss: , SophieB, thegamer23 for Formula E

Sorry if I've missed anyone, I'm sure I have.

MotoGP and Indycar folks, too!

Edited by TomNokoe, 28 November 2019 - 11:14.

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:20

Bottas to start from the back after engine penalty, would guess that this also means no qualifying for him.

https://twitter.com/...0172266497?s=19

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:26

Bottas to start from the back after engine penalty, would guess that this also means no qualifying for him.

As the engine only has to do one race they don't need to save anything, so could do Q just for the entertainment value, but will probably want to start on new tyres.

Edited by Clatter, 28 November 2019 - 11:28.

#10 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:30

He's also divorcing his wife. Tough couple of months for him. (see you in the Merc thread!)

https://twitter.com/...999133773369348

Edited by TomNokoe, 28 November 2019 - 11:30.

#11 CSF

CSF

• 2,812 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:25

God is it 10 years since the commentary god, Jonathan Legard, shouted  "Yabby Dabby" through the viewers TV screens?

That must mean its 9 years since commentary god, Jonathan Legard, mistook a front and rear wing falling off.

Happy memories. 

#12 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 13:43

He's also divorcing his wife. Tough couple of months for him. (see you in the Merc thread!)

https://twitter.com/...999133773369348

I'm confused, which Bottas version do we get this time? 4.0 already?

#13 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 13:59

I'm confused, which Bottas version do we get this time? 4.0 already?

#14 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 14:02

Gloves off in the presser

@andrewbensonf1

"Leclerc on Brazil crash with Vettel: “Seb probably shouldn’t have gone to the left and he knows it, and I could have done a better job of avoiding him going to the left."

Pretty sure he wouldn't have said this if Seb was there to defend himself :p

#15 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 14:19

Jesus, seems like Walter Köster striked again (is he only doing this at Abu Dhabi?)

Charles, before I start my question, I have to remind you of five races. No doubt you have had more good races than bad ones. But if we stick to the less good races with bad luck, mishaps such as Baku where the Ferrari hit the barriers, and the rain, where you lost the lead due to an engine problem in Austria, being catched [sic] by Max, and Monaco your first home race was very disappointing with last place and probably the low point in Hockenheim it was a mistake of the driver and last in Brazil finish ed after a battle with your team mate Now my question to the pop star of Formula 1? What was your best race among your wprse races? Can you give us please a ranking regarding your five not so good races starting with the worst. I'm a polite person, or man, please excuse this question, but I still hope for an answer. Thank you.

https://streamable.com/3ecf2

#16 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 14:42

If a non-Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull driver gets onto the podium this weekend I'll be off this forum for another two months.

#17 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 14:44

Whilst we did not get a close championship, some of the races have been excellent and enjoyable to watch. I would say the actual races themselves have been some of the most exciting we have seen in the turb-hybrid era.

It wasn't a 2018 or 2017 when it looked like Vettel vs. Hamilton all the way for much of the season, instead the championship was over pretty early and it took a while for things to get going. But since Austira, I have enjoyed the racing and I hope this continues into 2020 with the added factor of a tight title fight.

#18 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 14:47

Jesus, seems like Walter Köster striked again (is he only doing this at Abu Dhabi?)

Charles, before I start my question, I have to remind you of five races. No doubt you have had more good races than bad ones. But if we stick to the less good races with bad luck, mishaps such as Baku where the Ferrari hit the barriers, and the rain, where you lost the lead due to an engine problem in Austria, being catched [sic] by Max, and Monaco your first home race was very disappointing with last place and probably the low point in Hockenheim it was a mistake of the driver and last in Brazil finish ed after a battle with your team mate Now my question to the pop star of Formula 1? What was your best race among your wprse races? Can you give us please a ranking regarding your five not so good races starting with the worst. I'm a polite person, or man, please excuse this question, but I still hope for an answer. Thank you.

This is lazy, provocative journalism at its worst. No wonder the drivers didn't take the question at all seriously.

Edited by Muppetmad, 28 November 2019 - 14:49.

#19 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 15:15

Walter Koster's press conference question came in at 1 minute, 7 seconds - equivalent to Max Verstappen's pole position time for the Brazilian Grand Prix #F1 #AbuDhabiGP

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the crazy stats topic  :drunk:

Advertisement

#20 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,530 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 15:46

Whilst we did not get a close championship, some of the races have been excellent and enjoyable to watch. I would say the actual races themselves have been some of the most exciting we have seen in the turb-hybrid era.

It wasn't a 2018 or 2017 when it looked like Vettel vs. Hamilton all the way for much of the season, instead the championship was over pretty early and it took a while for things to get going. But since Austira, I have enjoyed the racing and I hope this continues into 2020 with the added factor of a tight title fight.

It’s pretty impressive considering the horrible races we had up until Austria. It was just unfortunate Ferrari/Red Bull didn’t get it together until then, or we could have likely had the most epic season of the hybrid era (maybe rivalling 2012, who knows).

My concern for next year is we’ll just get a repeat, Red Bull always seem to start slow and Ferrari seems to be a coin toss whether they get it right or not. There’s a lot of anticipation for next season, but there was also a lot for this season and in a championship sense it just didn’t deliver. Mercedes always seem to be a step ahead of the rest and I fear next year will just be another rinse and repeat Mercedes double (would love to be proven wrong however)

#21 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 18:20

Awesome post Tom :up:

#22 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 19:55

A far better OP than this travesty of a race track deserves.

(No, no, look at the pretty lights on the hotel roof, and there's a pit lane tunnel, it's all wonderful....)

Lewis for the win as if anyone still cared.

#23 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 20:48

This season has been like sitting through a horribly long film where you've already got a very good idea of how it ends, less than half way in - so I'll be glad for it to be finally over. And sadly not the first time I've felt like that in the last few years. Please explain to me again why having a 25 race season would be anything other but a truly terrible idea?

Yes, there has been some decent races this year. But after how crazily hyped this season was going into it, it's been nothing but a wet fart for most of the time. And it'll probably be the same sorry story all over again in 2020.

Still, at least the kids have provided some excitement. Now pretty please, Santa, can we have a proper championship battle next year?

#24 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 22:21

Well, Hamilton killed the championship when he got the chance and when you are going to finish every race the whole season so far, good luck...

#25 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 22:27

Awful circuit, but great OP! :clap:

#26 davidlan

davidlan

• 461 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 00:43

So when was Hamilton's last DNF and if he finishes this race he will be only the 9th driver to race a season without one.

Dave

#27 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:21

So when was Hamilton's last DNF and if he finishes this race he will be only the 9th driver to race a season without one.

Dave

If he finishes in the lead lap he will be the 2nd driver after Schumacher to complete every lap during a season, too.

#28 Frood

Frood

• 9,207 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:33

Dave

Austria last year, his only DNF in the last 3 seasons. He’s only had 7 DNFs in the entire turbo-hybrid era, which is a testament to both his and Mercedes’ reliability. Ricciardo has more DNFs in 2018 than Lewis has had in the last 6 seasons.

#29 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:49

A few weekend thoughts before FP1 gets underway:

Track layout seems pretty even between the top 3. Still question marks over Ferrari true pace but they're still favourites for pole with long drags of S1+S2. Low deg tyres will also help Ferrari in the race, but likely Mercedes will find some magic race pace now they're back at sea level. Red Bull inbetween.

Midfield will be tight because track layout should bring Renault and Racing Point back into play. Don't see how Toro Rosso can rise above everyone to steal P5 in the constructors.

This is the first track Albon has raced in months that he actually knows, and from memory he's pretty quick here, too. Expecting a leap in relative performance vs Max as he won't be playing catch-up from FP1 and should now be as confident in the RB15 as he'll ever be.

Easiest one-stopper of the year, absolutely no question.

FP1 in 10 mins
Air 26
Track 35

#30 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:52

A few weekend thoughts before FP1 gets underway:

Track layout seems pretty even between the top 3. Still question marks over Ferrari true pace but they're still favourites for pole with long drags of S1+S2. Low deg tyres will also help Ferrari in the race, but likely Mercedes will find some magic race pace now they're back at sea level. Red Bull inbetween.

Midfield will be tight because track layout should bring Renault and Racing Point back into play. Don't see how Toro Rosso can rise above everyone to steal P5 in the constructors.

This is the first track Albon has raced in months that he actually knows, and from memory he's pretty quick here, too. Expecting a leap in relative performance vs Max as he won't be playing catch-up from FP1 and should now be as confident in the RB15 as he'll ever be.

Easiest one-stopper of the year, absolutely no question.

FP1 in 10 mins
Air 26
Track 35

I think it´s also one of the weakest tracks for Max, at least for Qualy. He´s been outqualified here every year so far I think?  Will be curious to see what Albon can bring then. 

#31 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:58

George Russell is ill and may not race.

https://www.motorspo...ussell/4604062/

#32 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:04

George Russell is ill and may not race.

https://www.motorspo...ussell/4604062/

lol

It has thus had to look outside the team. Mercedes reserve driver Esteban Ocon was an obvious choice, thanks to the shared engine supplier and the relationship between the two teams.

The Frenchman had a seat fitting in the Williams garage late last night, but he proved to be too tall to get comfortable.

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:13

Damn, that also rules out Toto then

#34 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:16

It'd be pretty funny if Sirotkin came in and beat Kubica, after all of the hoo-ha in the 2017 post-season tests.

#35 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:37

The kerb between the last two corners is still a ramp, but the sausage kerb has been shortened this year (after Alex Peroni's accident at Monza, I guess).

#36 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:38

It'd be pretty funny if Sirotkin came in and beat Kubica, after all of the hoo-ha in the 2017 post-season tests.

Nah, the Kubica fanatics would this just take as a proof that Kubica gets inferiour material  :stoned:

#37 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:38

Limp home mode for Hamilton.

#38 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:55

This season has been like sitting through a horribly long film where you've already got a very good idea of how it ends, less than half way in - so I'll be glad for it to be finally over. And sadly not the first time I've felt like that in the last few years. Please explain to me again why having a 25 race season would be anything other but a truly terrible idea?

Yes, there has been some decent races this year. But after how crazily hyped this season was going into it, it's been nothing but a wet fart for most of the time. And it'll probably be the same sorry story all over again in 2020.

Still, at least the kids have provided some excitement. Now pretty please, Santa, can we have a proper championship battle next year?

I compare this season with a piece of pastry with a lot of decorations over an awful bad cake in order to hide that, despite the positive things on first sight (The Summer period races) it was a worthless year yet again for the main reason of all those races being held: a championship. Never believed that I would ever say it but title battle-wise, 2016 is the only one standing out in the past 6 years for me.

#39 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:00

Engine failure for Ricciardo.

And Bottas almost crashed out on the oil at T21.

Edited by ANF, 29 November 2019 - 10:02.

Advertisement

#40 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:03

Ham running with '1' again. Only for FP1 for the pictures?

#41 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:06

Oh, three marshals have finally arrived to deal with the oil.

#42 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,530 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:15

Is this track not quite similar to Russia in terms of tyre wear? Which was probably Ferrari's strongest race pace all year.

#43 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:21

I think it´s also one of the weakest tracks for Max, at least for Qualy. He´s been outqualified here every year so far I think?  Will be curious to see what Albon can bring then. 

Didn't he spin at the start in 2018, but still finished on the podium? Not really a weak track I'd say.

ps. 'Driver X has never driven here before" is the lamest excuse for a professional driver. They've spend hours on the sim, so know perfectly well which corners go left or right, plus, even if they didn't, they would know after 3 laps.

#44 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:23

Kubica is 0.570s faster than Russell.

#45 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:24

Is Ferrari slow btw? They were fastest in FP1 in Sochi (if that track might be comparable). 1,9 off the pace now.

#46 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:26

Hard to tell if Ferrari have been pushing this session.

#47 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:28

Vettel spins and wrecks. :D

#48 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:29

Sebby getting his spin in early this weekend.

#49 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:32

EKiKfIuXkAEIv2P.jpg

red flag

Edited by statman, 29 November 2019 - 10:32.

#50 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:36

Practice makes perfect. His spin on sunday will be a work of art.