- - - - -

Your Top 10 Drivers of the 2010s

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:09

Another decade in F1 draws to a close and it provides a chance to reflect on the performances we have seen over that period of time, and to rank order the leading participants. I’ll have a first stab.

1. Hamilton
The obvious choice but the right choice. Since at least 2014 Hamilton has been F1’s supreme talent, seeing off all comers and, like Senna before him, dominating things so naturally and effortlessly than it appears as though it is the errors of others that allow him to prevail so much. Able to play the percentage games when required and (unlike some others) has never allowed a team mate to live inside his head rent free. Learns from his mistakes too. The Spa 2012 tantrum that saw him tweet Button’s telemetry has never really been repeated. This too differentiates him from certain others.

2. Alonso
Relatively few wins in the 2010s and a career that petered out in the midfield (or worse) should not blind us to the reality that in terms of “what he did with what he had” Alonso delivered some miraculous drives this decade. There were the unlikely victories at Sepang and Valencia in 2012 but also routinely dragging the 2011 and 2014 Ferraris to places they had no business being. But even at McLaren there were drives like Austin in 2016 that delivered absurdly good results, Like Hamilton, he learned from earlier experiences and his form never really dipped, even in the mire of 2017 and 2018.

3. Verstappen
Speaking of “what he did with what he had”... Verstappen is currently the only driver on anything like Hamilton’s level and shows unbelievable levels of maturity and leadership for his age. Fearless and ruthless in battle, but with the ability to justify it. Austria, Germany, Hungary and Brazil this year alone prove that.

4. Vettel
4 WDCs and 50-odd wins cannot be ignored, although too often Vettel gives us reason *to* ignore them. Unbeatable (even by Hamilton) with a car to his liking and a team mate who is nowhere but too often his head seems to melt without those conditions, leaving us one of the sport’s more unfathomable talents.

5. Rosberg
Underrated, even when he was at Williams, Rosberg maximised what he had to win his title and was astute enough to realise that he could never reach that sustained level again. Again, unbeatable on a good day, especially at Monaco, but lacking on others.

6. Ricciardo
Very able and showed Vettel a clean pair of heels in 2014 but as time goes by I’m less convinced he has quite the ‘killer’ instinct of the top three. Brilliant at places like Hungary that reward improvisation and tenacity, less so at some of the more clinical environments like Abu Dhabi.

7. Leclerc
Very difficult to judge someone in only his second year but has done enough to mark him out as an obvious Ferrari team leader in the future.

8. Button
Another driver who was unbeatable on his day and nowhere on others. Performed very well against Hamilton for a long time but I always had the sense that one title was enough for Jenson and he was happy picking up a few wins after that.

9. Hulkenberg
Perhaps Nico has been making the numbers up a little of late, but we forget that he stuck the 2010 Williams on pole and achieved the same feat in a Force India two years later, before being talked up as a Ferrari contender during his 2013 year at Sauber, for which he merits inclusion in this list.

10. Webber
What happened to Webber after 2010? Did the loss of the title that year knock his confidence? Drove superbly in the RBR tinderbox until Korea 2010 and therefore ends up in this list, but hr never seemed to be quite the same after that.

Edited by wj_gibson, 05 December 2019 - 08:33.

Advertisement

#2 taran

taran

• 4,465 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:54

Good list. Perhaps even a great list.

I have my doubts about Hulkenberg and to a lesser degree Webber.

I can't see why you would pick Hulkenberg over Perez. Surely Perez has performed more giant-killing acts than Hulkenberg. Sure, Hulkenberg has 2 poles but Perez has multiple podiums where you have to drive fast and consistently for the entire race, exactly the thing Hulkenberg struggles with. And Hulkenberg may have been considered by a top team but Perez was actually signed by one (albeit a top team in free fall). So by your own metrics, Perez should be ahead.

Just my $0.02.

Webber is in the Coulthard and Bottas mold of worthy Grand Prix winner but too limited to be a champion. He had a championship worthy car for 4 or 5 years if you include 2009 and failed. Does he then deserve to be on this top 10 list just because he did win some races. Shouldn't some other driver who might not have won but did more with the lesser car he had deserve this place more?

#3 messy

messy

• 7,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:56

1. Hamilton - just look at the numbers. Has been incredibly fortunate, but has grabbed hold of that fortune and turned it into an incredible legacy of dominance. 

2. Alonso - almost the opposite of Lewis in that his career moves have snuffed out any chance to build a legacy like that rather than helped it - but he's still arguably the best individual driver we've seen in this era.

3. Vettel - regardless of what we now think about him; his combination with Red Bull, Newey and Webber was ruthlessly brilliant and only broken by the hybrid era. Did bounce back with Ferrari, too. 

4. Rosberg - beat Hamilton to the championship, 23 wins, provided his only real 'opposition' at times and kept things interesting before retiring on the very top. 

5. Verstappen - the excitement and the promise of something even more special in the future - we've already seen several wins, bust ups and moments of inspiration from him. 

6. Ricciardo - shocked the F1 world by duffing up Vettel, then alongside Seb the most consistent challenger to Hamilton's dominance for a good few years with great ballsy, swashbuckling racing. 

7. Perez - giant killer (nearly) in the Sauber, the McLaren saga then settling down into the most reliable of midfield points scorers, usually the guy on the podium in a race of attrition and tasty scrap with Ocon. 

8. Button - the season of his life in 2011, but otherwise a slightly subdued end to his career for most of the decade with a few flashes of something special in changing track conditions. 

9. Raikkonen - his return with Lotus was a success, his time at Ferrari less so but he makes the list because throughout 2012-19 he's always been there or thereabouts and been part of some big moments, or at least in shot.

10. Webber - 2010 was his big, big moment and it's a shame for me that he didn't win that title because that was his one big chance. Faded away a bit after that but a great final hurrah in the early summer of 2012.

#4 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:02

Good list. Perhaps even a great list.

I have my doubts about Hulkenberg and to a lesser degree Webber.
I can't see why you would pick Hulkenberg over Perez. Surely Perez has performed more giant-killing acts than Hulkenberg. Sure, Hulkenberg has 2 poles but Perez has multiple podiums where you have to drive fast and consistently for the entire race, exactly the thing Hulkenberg struggles with. And Hulkenberg may have been considered by a top team but Perez was actually signed by one (albeit a top team in free fall). So by your own metrics, Perez should be ahead.
Just my $0.02.

Webber is in the Coulthard and Bottas mold of worthy Grand Prix winner but too limited to be a champion. He had a championship worthy car for 4 or 5 years if you include 2009 and failed. Does he then deserve to be on this top 10 list just because he did win some races. Shouldn't some other driver who might not have won but did more with the lesser car he had deserve this place more?

All good points and it always becomes increasingly subjective at the lower reaches.

#5 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,232 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:17

Good thread and list wj_gibson!

Although I would put Button higher up, no way is Ricc better than him IMO.

1) Hamilton

2) Alonso

3) Verstappen

4) Vettel

5) Button

6) Rosberg

7) Ricciardo

8) Perez

9) Hulk

10) Webber

Leclerc has only 2 seasons so too early to place him in this particular list.

#6 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:23

When you make such a list, it's easy to remember the last 3-4 years a lot better than the first few years of the '10's...

#7 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:05

When you make such a list, it's easy to remember the last 3-4 years a lot better than the first few years of the '10's...

It is, but I think all of the lists posted here so far (including mine, if I may big myself up) do try to take account of that.

#8 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:10

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Vettel
4. Verstappen
5. Rosberg
6. Button
7. Ricciardo
8. Räikkönen
9. Bottas
10. Perez

#9 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:41

Ham

Vettel

Alonso

Rosberg

Max

the rest.

#10 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:12

I kinda fully agree with the opening post.

#11 taran

taran

• 4,465 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:15

I'd say Raikkonen doesn't belong in the top 10 for this decade.

He made a winning return with Lotus before getting spanked at Ferrari but with the benefit of hindsight and a better appreciation of where Grosjean belongs as a Grand Prix driver, it is clear to me that the Lotus was a rocketship wasted on a has-been and a never-was.

#12 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:34

He made a winning return with Lotus before getting spanked at Ferrari but with the benefit of hindsight and a better appreciation of where Grosjean belongs as a Grand Prix driver, it is clear to me that the Lotus was a rocketship wasted on a has-been and a never-was.

Perhaps, but imho its useless to speculate on what other drivers might have done with that car in 2012 and 2013...Could some one like Alonso or Vettel or Lewis been able to score more points in that car and perhaps take a win or two more? Possibly, but that doesnt remove the fact that Kimi still drove incredibly well after his return during those 2 seaons, I might argue that they were still the best years we have seen from Kimi since he returned, especially 2012.

That being said I wouldnt argue against saying that Kimi would not belong in top 10 of this past decade because even as Kimi fan I can say that his Ferrari years were mostly lackluster, even though after the difficult years of 2014 and 2015 he was still able to reliably score points and take on those podiums. So thats why I can also see people putting him at the lower end of their top 10 lists.

Difficult to form my top 10 especially after the top 5-6 drivers, but here it is:

#1 Hamilton
#2. Vettel

#3. Verstappen

#4. Alonso

#5. Rosberg

#6. Ricciardo

#7. Perez

#8. Räikkönen

#9. Webber

#10.Button

Drivers just outside my top 10 would be Bottas and Hulk. Personally I would not put Hulk on top 10 because whenever he had even remote chance to grab that podium, he always seemed to make some kind of mistake and while I think he was good driver, he never impressed me that much. Also with Bottas he seems still far too inconsistent, but he could make it to my top 10 list for next decade if he keeps on improving. The reason why I still left Leclerc out is ofc because this was only his 2nd season in F1. But he will be among top-5 drivers of next decade, of that I have no doubt. Other likely candidates are Sainz, Norris and perhaps Russel, I think they might all end up being in top 10, but ofc still far too early to tell.

Edited by Balnazzard, 05 December 2019 - 11:45.

#13 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:34

And yet people are puting Hulkenberg (a likeable chap, sure) and Pérez (a good driver, sure) in the top 10, instead of Kimi. The first never got a podium, the second did also choke in a top team. 

#14 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,706 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:42

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Verstappen
4. Vettel
5. Ricciardo
6. Rosberg
7. Button
8. Bottas
9. Kubica
10. Leclerc

I nearly put Vettel lower on the basis that if Verstappen is allowed to go ahead of him on the basis that he is likely better despite no titles, then it's valid for other drivers too. And I seriously considered Ricciardo and Rosberg. Decided against it in the end though. Kubica was considered pretty good before his accident but I think I'm the first to list him. A lot of this is obviously based on the car, but I think it's more difficult to justify the inclusion of someone who you think is quite good but has a rubbish car in a decadely list than in a yearly list.

#15 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,232 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:44

And yet people are puting Hulkenberg (a likeable chap, sure) and Pérez (a good driver, sure) in the top 10, instead of Kimi. The first never got a podium, the second did also choke in a top team. 

Don't want to bash Kimi but considering what cars he did drive this decade (Lotus and Ferrari), his results and performances are not much better (if at all) than Perez or Hulk.

#16 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,706 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:45

Don't want to bash Kimi but considering what cars he did drive this decade (Lotus and Ferrari), his results and performances are not much better (if at all) than Perez or Hulk.

Plus McLaren wasn't really a top team when Perez was there.

#17 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,494 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:47

Looking at the Raikkonen question, has anyone considered including Michael Schumacher in this list? He may have been one of the top ten drivers on ability for the years he drove, and he was a presence on the grid. I remember him being in contention for a win in Canada one year, and he took a pole at Monaco (nullified by an unrelated penalty).

Edited by garoidb, 05 December 2019 - 11:47.

#18 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:48

Plus McLaren wasn't really a top team when Perez was there.

Ye I wouldnt bash Perez too much just based on 2013...I think since then he has improved a lot and has established himself as one of the best drivers in the midfield.

Thats why I also put him in my top 10 and ahead of Kimi even. But I think top 6 drivers are for most people quite clear/similar, its behind them that its really debatable which drivers deserve to be in top 10 or not.

Edited by Balnazzard, 05 December 2019 - 11:49.

#19 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:52

Not bashing Hulkenberg and  Pérez, but I highly doubt they could drive as well as Kimi did in 2012-13 or even 16/18. The simple fact they were never considered for a top team says it all really. 

Advertisement

#20 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:57

Looking at the Raikkonen question, has anyone considered including Michael Schumacher in this list? He may have been one of the top ten drivers on ability for the years he drove, and he was a presence on the grid. I remember him being in contention for a win in Canada one year, and he took a pole at Monaco (nullified by an unrelated penalty).

You know, I'd completely forgotten that Schumacher even made that comeback now.

#21 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,706 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:00

I considered him but decided against.

#22 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,045 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:05

I dunno - that Montreal 2011 race Schumacher was just going backwards. Everybody always only remembers the easiness of the DRS passes and blames it on the device but conviniently forget that someone driving 1-2 seconds slower than the chasers at Montreal he was always gonna be eaten alive, regardless of DRS or not. And yeah the Monaco pole that shouldnt have been taken away, but everybody and their dog had 1-2 quali highlights that year.

1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Alonso
4. Rosberg
5. Verstappen
6. Ricciardo
7. Button
8. Perez
9. Bottas
10. Hulkenberg

Maybe unfair on Webber, Kubica, Raikkonen and Leclerc - but thought a top 10 ranking for a full decade requires more than one or two (very) good seasons during the decade and their respective peaks hit different decades than the 2010's, hence the ranking of Bottas, Perez and Hulk above them

Edited by noriaki, 05 December 2019 - 12:05.

#23 CSF

CSF

• 2,838 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:09

1. Hamilton

2. Vettel

3. Rosberg

4. Verstappen

5. Alonso 

6. Ricciardo

7. Raikkonen

8. Button

9. Webber 

10. Perez edges it for pure consistency over most of the decade, 11-19. 

#24 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:12

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Verstappen
4. Vettel
5. Button
6. Rosberg
7. Ricciardo
8. Bottas
9. Perez
10. Hulkenberg

Webber and Kimi round about the same level as the last 3.

Honarable mention to Leclerc: two years are probably too little to rank him.

Edited by Marklar, 05 December 2019 - 12:14.

#25 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 640 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:26

A list doesn't accurately portray the level these guys are/have been performing on: 

1. Hamilton
  2. Vettel
  3. Alonso
  4. Rosberg
  5. Verstappen
  6. Button
  7. Ricciardo
  8. Webber
  9. Leclerc
  10. Perez

Now...biggest disappointments of the past ten years:

1. Kimi
  2. Grosjean
  3. Hulkenberg
  4. Kovalainen
  5. Pic
  6. Vandoorne

Edited by TheMidnight, 05 December 2019 - 12:31.

#26 messy

messy

• 7,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:32

Sadly his 2010-12 comeback was a wet fart wasn't it. 

Was never going to win in Canada 2011, in reality never came close to doing anything much in those three years. 

#27 Amin

Amin

• 706 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 14:45

1. Hamilton

2. Vettel

3. Alonso

4. Rosberg

5. Ricciardo

6. Verstappen

7. Raikkonen

8. Button

9. Perez

10. Hulkenberg

#28 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,598 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 15:12

Alonso

Hamilton

Vettel

Rosberg

Ricciardo

#29 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 977 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 15:19

1.- Hamilton
2.- Vettel
3.- Verstappen
4.- Rosberg
5.- Alonso
6.- Button
7.- Perez
8.- Webber
9.- Ricciardo
10.- Hulkenberg

#30 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,079 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 15:43

Agreed. You could argue that Massa and Barrichello were at least on a par with Perez and Hulkenberg, and Kubica at least as impressive as Leclerc. On the other hand, if picking Australians I'd definitely choose the recent over the earlier.

#31 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 15:43

I need to think a bit. The top 7 is very obvious (Lewis/Nando/Seb/Max/Dan/Rosberg/Jenson), but then from 8th place you run into problems because there's different kinds of drivers and it depends wildly on the criteria.

Do you value a single great season regardless of the machinery? Then Kubica in 2010 is a top contender.

Do you value drivers that shown spectacular pace and potential? Leclerc for 2019 is up there.

Do you value a serious championship fight despite how bad he might've been afterwards? Webber in 2010 is a slam dunk, he's the only apart from that top 7 that fought for a title.

Do you value drivers that spent a lot of time in top machinery and therefore were quite influential in this decade? Kimi, Bottas and Massa.

Do you value drivers that might actually have performed a little better than those guys, and lasted pretty much for the whole decade, if never in good enough cars to be contenders for anything? Perez, Hulkenberg, maybe even Ocon and Sainz deserve mentions.

#32 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 16:18

1. Hamilton - wins, titles, everything. The only issue now is how high can he climb the GOAT mountain;

2. Vettel - wins, titles, numbers. Other champions never reached the peaks he did;

3. Rosberg - his most impressive feat is surviving successive Hamilton thumpings (in large part to to Mercedes being unquestionably and historically superior to everyone), made the most of it in 2016, which is more than can be said for other drivers who had legitimate title chances;

4. Verstappen - easily the most impressive driver of the decade to not win a WDC;

5. Ricciardo - same as Verstappen, but just a little less bright;

6. Alonso - the most controversial and overrated driver of the decade. He put up valiant fights and definitely had his reputation boosted by the underdog card. 2010 was a horribly wasted opportunity. Eventually he overplayed his hand and spent years in the wilderness before being retired. Was there any other driver so wildly accused of being toxic? People will have a more accurate view of him once the fandom cools down;

7. Perez - most impressive mid field driver to never graduate to a top team at the right time;

8. Button - peaked in 2011 and immediately dropped off a cliff. I'm not sure he should be here, but I guess he was more impressive than Webber. His reputation is boosted by facing Hamilton at his most unlucky and unpolished;

09. Sainz - I think he's great and it's no coincidence he is leading McLaren's recovery. Hopefull he will be more successful than Perez;

10. Kubica - 2010 alone. That's it. If you don't get, too bad.

Edited by Atreiu, 05 December 2019 - 16:19.

#33 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,394 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 16:22

1 - Lewis, won about 75 races this decade, 5 WDCs and some incredible performances. A clear number 1.

2 - Vettel, despite some stinkers from late 2017 onwards, he's still won about 15 races for Ferrari and was absolutely dynamite in the EBD era with that rocketship of Newey's.

3 - Rosberg, outclassed Schumacher which wasn't expected, and held his own against Lewis and even managed to sneak in a title. Chose an excellent time to retire.

4 - Alonso, he's a better driver than the 2 above him and his 2012 was brilliant, but he was hamstrung by too many terrible cars. Which were his choice, so it has to be factored in.

5 - Button, some excellent races between 2010 and 2012 with some brilliant wins too. Beat Hamilton and Alonso over a season as teammates. Unmatched in mixed conditions.

6 - Verstappen, he's dynamite and surely the long term successor to Lewis as top dog. Had some brilliant races but also far too many incidents. As he ages and matures he should make his way to number 1 of this list for the 2020s...

7 - Ricciardo, beating Vettel in 2014 was excellent, as were basically every win of his. Nothing came easy in those wins. In another era he'd easily win a title, but I fear he'll never manage it. Hopefully things will fall his way like they did for Jenson in 2009, Kimi in 2007 etc.

8 - Perez, got unlucky that he managed to join McLaren at the start of their decline. Had some great results and the number of podiums he's managed to get isn't an accident.

9 - Raikkonen, too anonymous for most of the time at Ferrari, but had the occasional good race. Gets in based on his Lotus performances.

10 - Hulkenberg, mr consistent. So unlucky not to get a podium. I wonder how his career would have gone if he hadn't gone for the overtake on Hamilton in Brazil 2012 and managed to get a podium. A shame he never found his way into a top car.

#34 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 16:27

Does Kubica 1.0's one and only season qualify him for mention .... he was quite impressive. 

edit - just seen that Atreiu mentioned him  :up:  

Edited by jjcale, 05 December 2019 - 16:28.

#35 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 16:43

1. Hamilton - He has won half the titles this decade so it is hard to argue against him

2. Vettel - He has won nearly half the titles this decade so again it is hard to argue against him. His domination in 2011 and 2013 were unreal.

3. Alonso - I think Alonso is better than both of the drivers above, but it is hard to justify he was the driver of the decade when he won no titles compared to 9/10 for Vettel and Hamilton.

4. Ricciardo - Verstappen has been great, but Ricciardo has also been great for just a little bit longer.

5. Verstappen - Not much to say really!

6. Rosberg - I don't think he is one of the best drivers in history but he achieved a lot of success within those 3 years of Merc domination.

7. Raikkonen - His Ferrari stint was fairly poor but he had a great 2012 and 2013 and I think that was the end of peak Kimi

8. Button - His career really came alive in 2009 and his first 3 seasons at McLaren are most likely what we will remember when we think of Button years from now. 

9. Perez - He has been the best midfield driver for the past few years now and has had some fantastic highs over the years. 

10. Kubica - I know he only competed in the first and last season (barely) of the decade, but his 2010 season was so outstanding that I think it warrants him a place in the top 10.

#36 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 16:49

I need to think a bit. The top 7 is very obvious (Lewis/Nando/Seb/Max/Dan/Rosberg/Jenson), but then from 8th place you run into problems because there's different kinds of drivers and it depends wildly on the criteria.

Do you value a single great season regardless of the machinery? Then Kubica in 2010 is a top contender.

Do you value drivers that shown spectacular pace and potential? Leclerc for 2019 is up there.

Do you value a serious championship fight despite how bad he might've been afterwards? Webber in 2010 is a slam dunk, he's the only apart from that top 7 that fought for a title.

Do you value drivers that spent a lot of time in top machinery and therefore were quite influential in this decade? Kimi, Bottas and Massa.

Do you value drivers that might actually have performed a little better than those guys, and lasted pretty much for the whole decade, if never in good enough cars to be contenders for anything? Perez, Hulkenberg, maybe even Ocon and Sainz deserve mentions.

There is even a case to be made about Grosjean: from end 2013 till 2017 he was one of the best guys in the midfield. Maybe not a serious contender for top 10, but he isnt far away from some of these guys.

#37 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 16:57

Here we go again. Whenerver Kimi performs bad it’s because of Kimi. Whenever he performs well, it was all about the car and Alonso would have extracted more out of it.

#38 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 17:01

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Vettel
4. Verstappen
5. Ricciardo
6. Rosberg
7. Button
8. Bottas
9. Perez
10. Hülkenberg

#39 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 17:22

8. Button - peaked in 2011 and immediately dropped off a cliff. I'm not sure he should be here, but I guess he was more impressive than Webber. His reputation is boosted by facing Hamilton at his most unlucky and unpolished;

Oh dear.

Advertisement

#40 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 18:09

7. Perez - most impressive mid field driver to never graduate to a top team at the right time;

Bit of a weird take that, considering Button smashed Perez in 2013 after already falling off his cliff.

#41 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 18:20

Bit of a weird take that, considering Button smashed Perez in 2013 after already falling off his cliff.

Strange ratings people putting button below perez and even sainz above a driver he’s been thrashed by, but opinions are opinions.

#42 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 19:56

Swap their places, it's no big deal. 2013 wasn't a benchmark season for either McLaren driver or team itself. Perez would have been on the list anyhow as a midfield warrior, Button is there are a representative of guys in top cars who won races but no titles. And I think he was better than Webber.

Do people actually remember 2010-2012 and how many heartbraking or downright clumsy weekends Lewis had? This was just one of them, try to keep up with Button's progression. https://www.statsf1....r-par-tour.aspx

#43 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,643 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 20:42

Pastor Maldonado

#44 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 21:01

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Vettel
4. Rosberg
5. Verstappen
6. Button
7. Ricciardo
8. Räikkönen
9. Bottas
10. Perez

Honourable Mention - Bianchi

#45 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 21:57

Who knows? I think Hamilton is really good, but I think Vettel would have won all of the championships in a Mercedes, so he's probably #2. Verstappen is quick, but seems like a blockhead based on his actions this decade. He may end up great. Ricciardo is next, and after that ... we don't see enough of any of the other drivers to be able to tell, in my opinion. Rosberg was quick, able to get under Lewis's skin, but not a particularly great racer and is underrated. I think Button and Alonso are massively overrated.

#46 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 733 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 22:09

I can't say how good Vettel was in his earlier years, his Monza debut win was surely special.
But whenever he was on the track together with Max, Vettel looked kind of silly. Started in Austin 2015 in the wet. At the time Max was not on his quali A game quite yet, but no-one doubts that anymore. Surely more than one other driver fit between them two, today. But Vettel may well be closer on his early 2010s form.

By the time Rosberg retired, he did look much better than Vettel apart from race craft. Which didn't matter much when you're taking many poles out of Hamilton in a front running car.
In recent years, I'm sure Rosberg would have had a better run at the title in a Ferrari than Vettel. Mentally and in terms of steadiness just a level above. I'd definitely want Rosberg in my car, but be sure to keep him from political games, that was a fail on Toto's behalf. 

1. Hamilton

2. Alonso 
3. Verstappen

4. Rosberg

5. Ricciardo

6. Vettel

7. Button

8. Bottas

9. Perez
10. Leclerc

#47 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,079 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 22:15

3 - Rosberg, outclassed Schumacher which wasn't expected, and held his own against Lewis and even managed to sneak in a title.

Great point, TheFish. "Which teammates did you beat, Grandad?"  "Oh, Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton."

#48 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 22:27

1.Hamilton
2.Alonso
3.Verstappen
4.Rosberg
5.Vettel
6.Button
7.Ricciardo
8.Leclerc
9.Bottas
10.Perez

My top 3 are set in stone, but if I re-did this list tomorrow I doubt I'd have positions 4-10 in exactly the same order. And maybe Kimi deserves to be at least 10th, but then again his form has been patchy over the decade.

Edited by P123, 05 December 2019 - 22:27.

#49 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 22:27

Great point, TheFish. "Which teammates did you beat, Grandad?" "Oh, Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton."

The 2 greatest of all time, he can say he beat🤓

#50 Victor

Victor

• 1,006 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 22:30

Not a very strong driver decade this one. Of course Hamilton stands out as the driver with the best results, but the lack of serious opposition somehow taints his achievements.

Alonso was the best driver IMO, however, he achieved nothing during this decade. Who else? Probably Verstappen.

I simply do not know where to list Vettel. I think it is too soon to list Leclerc after only two seasons.

From the above lists has Massa been completly forgotten? How come Perez and Hülkenberg are listed and Massa is ignored?