Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Should and will Lewis Hamilton move to Ferrari?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: Lewis Hamilton's future in F1 (176 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Lewis Hamilton leave Mercedes and join Ferrari for 2021?

1. Yes (63 votes [35.80%])

Percentage of vote: 35.80%

2. No (100 votes [56.82%])

Percentage of vote: 56.82%

3. Undecided (13 votes [7.39%])

Percentage of vote: 7.39%

Will Lewis Hamilton join Ferrari in 2021, or some other time before he retires from F1?

1. Yes (61 votes [34.66%])

Percentage of vote: 34.66%

2. No (115 votes [65.34%])

Percentage of vote: 65.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,948 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 17:11

As you've probably noticed by now, there's been increasing chat about Lewis Hamilton joining Ferrari (or perhaps more accurately, Ferrari wanting Hamilton to join them) since the final race of the year, after professional Where's Wally cosplayer and sometime Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto said some nice things about him.

Today, the main story on the BBC Sport page is this: https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/50755301

Now, this is probably nothing more than idle gossip designed at making the winter break pass by more quickly, but surely it merits some discussion.

So, my question to you is do you think Lewis Hamilton should join Ferrari - and will he?

Personally, I can understand it from Ferrari's perspective. After all, they have a long history of going "screw it" and just signing the driver who keeps denying them championships, such that their motto is probably "if you can't beat them, hire them". But from Hamilton's perspective, I'd be more cautious.

After all, it's exceedingly rare for Ferrari not to be a shambles in one area or other. Look at the talent they've burned through since Schumacher retired in '06: Raikkonen, Alonso, and Vettel. All top drivers (or at least, at one point in their career) - and only one measly WDC and WCC to show for it. How, really, would Hamilton change things? I'd argue the least of Ferrari's problems is driving talent - even despite Vettel's patchy form in recent years.

But what do you think?

Edited by JHSingo, 12 December 2019 - 18:49.

Advertisement

#2 oli4

oli4

• 571 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 17:45

Even though he can match Schumacher's record (or even break it) it still don't have the feeling that he's the all time best. Winning a title with a 3rd team would do the trick so i think he should go to Ferrari.

#3 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,155 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 17:53

Switching to Ferrari is a good way to make sure you won't win a title anymore and either get fired or move away by desperation.

#4 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:03

Why should he move away from the (by far) best team on the grid to one, who has perfected the method to shoot oneself in the knee? Losing what, 5 to 6 seconds / lap just for the priviledge of wearing a red overall?

#5 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:11

I hope he never does.

#6 hansmann

hansmann

• 662 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:11

As long as Merc is as professional as it has been for a number of years, and as well funded, I don't think Lewis would or should switch to Ferrari .

The second poll needs a maybe/undecided option .

I voted yes, but that's assuming Ferrari will put together a very convincing package for 2021 and beyond, will communicate those efforts to Lewis beforehand, and that's also assuming there mignt be significant changes at the Merc F1 team .

#7 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 1,515 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:13

Unless he wants to become part of the Ferrari racing history there is nothing for Lewis to gain there.

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:16

Even though he can match Schumacher's record (or even break it) it still don't have the feeling that he's the all time best. Winning a title with a 3rd team would do the trick so i think he should go to Ferrari.

That goalpost will move forever though. Then somebody will find a different reason why he can't be it

I honestly think winning with different teams is a tad overrated. Fangio did it, but it's glossing over the fact that he just handpicked his the best rides.

Of course if he goes to Ferrari, beats with Leclerc one of the best future prospects in his team, brings Ferrari back to glory after 14 years, ends the dominance he was part of himself, of course that would elevate his legacy, but then you have to wonder if that is likely (it's possible of course) and whether he wants to risk his status as a exclusive Mercedes star (which is very useful for your post-racing career btw) or perhaps even part of his legacy (if the Ferrari project properly fails)

From Lewis' perspective I would definitely consider it. Mercedes will inevitably decline at some point and Ferrari being incapable to win titles is not exactly a fair reflection. They mainly lacked the driver in 2018 after all. And with rule changes all bets are off. But as mentioned it doesnt only have pros.

From Ferrari's perspective I can't understand it. Sure, he is a upgrade over their current drivers, but hiring Hamilton has high potential to affect with Leclerc their future. That aside that you dont know how long Hamilton will be still on this level.

I dont think that it will happen, though.

#9 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:16

Schumacher won his titles with two teams, but three engine manufacturers. To be sure of surpassing Schumacher, he should try to win with three more engine manufacturers  :lol:

#10 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:19

Hamilton has won five WDCs for Mercedes. If you include the one he won for McLaren-Mercedes, that's six and matches the number of WDCs won by Ferrari in the 39 years I've been alive.

I understand the allure of Ferrari, but if Hamilton believes that Mercedes are serious about their future, it might be better for his legend to be the man who helps them to match Ferrari. He could see out his career with them (breaking Schumacher's records in the process) having only ever driven for one engine manufacturer and then join the team in some sort of non-driving capacity. Ferrari may have the history, but if Mercedes can be synonymous with the most successful driver in the sport then future generations of fans might not see Ferrari as being so special and separate to the rest of the teams.

If we're allowed to fantasise, he might even do it via a stint in Formula E or wherever else Mercedes is competing as he ends his F1 driving career...

#11 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:26

Hamilton has won five WDCs for Mercedes. If you include the one he won for McLaren-Mercedes, that's six and matches the number of WDCs won by Ferrari in the 39 years I've been alive.

I understand the allure of Ferrari, but if Hamilton believes that Mercedes are serious about their future, it might be better for his legend to be the man who helps them to match Ferrari. He could see out his career with them (breaking Schumacher's records in the process) having only ever driven for one engine manufacturer and then join the team in some sort of non-driving capacity. Ferrari may have the history, but if Mercedes can be synonymous with the most successful driver in the sport then future generations of fans might not see Ferrari as being so special and separate to the rest of the teams.

If we're allowed to fantasise, he might even do it via a stint in Formula E or wherever else Mercedes is competing as he ends his F1 driving career...

The funny thing is that Ferrari's allure is intrinsically linked with their having long stints without success. It is more a dream than a reality.

#12 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 1,515 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:28

In my opinion you can't point out an all time best in F1. Material is to big a factor and performances are not comparable.

#13 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,601 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:32

And when they have succes, they also try to undo it. There is no doubt in my mind Schumacher would have won 07 and 08 had he stayed.

I think Wolf is the key. If he replaces Brawn again, I'm not sure Mercedes would keep up.

Edited by SenorSjon, 12 December 2019 - 20:15.

#14 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:38

He'll stay that's it.

#15 pRy

pRy

• 26,308 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:39

I think there's a good chance it will happen for a number of reasons.

1. He clearly respects and values the brand. He drives around LA in a $1 million customised Ferrari that has his name on the door frame. 

2. The appeal of winning titles with three teams is clear. Especially if one of those teams is Ferrari who haven't won a title in some time.

3. No period of success lasts forever. Mercedes are reaching the point where a natural changing of the guard may occur. 

4. Lewis may simply want a new challenge. Success is great but it's often the nature of success that matters more than the numbers.

Will he do it? I think it depends on a couple of key factors. How confident he is in Ferrari being able to win consistently, what the future of Mercedes in F1 looks like with Toto in particular and what he wants from F1 personally. 

#16 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:43

Should he join, no I dont question the ability of Lewis but Lewis needs a oiled machine, which Ferrari is not.

Would he join, yes probably because every driver eventually wants to give it a shot at briging the title to Ferrari.

#17 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,219 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:45

The only thing a person SHOULD do is what they feel like doing. If that's what he feels, sure. 

#18 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,948 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:45

And when they have succea, they also try to undo it. There is no doubt in my mind Schumacher would have won 07 and 08 had he stayed.

This. Ferrari has made a lot of terrible decisions over recent years, but I think the worst was forcing Schumi into retirement. Given how the leading contenders tripped over themselves in those years, I have no doubt that his experience would've paid dividends.

#19 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,241 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:46

Nope. Next two championships down the drain

Advertisement

#20 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 18:52

He'd be an absolute legend if he brought the title back to Ferrari. On the other hand, he should be wise enough by now to know that his character and Ferrari's current chaos management would be a toxic combination. Mercedes it is.

Edited by Jovanotti, 12 December 2019 - 18:52.

#21 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 19:01

This. Ferrari has made a lot of terrible decisions over recent years, but I think the worst was forcing Schumi into retirement. Given how the leading contenders tripped over themselves in those years, I have no doubt that his experience would've paid dividends.

To be fair though at that point it made sense.

Raikkonen was sensational between 2003-2006, nobody could have predicted that he would struggle this much on anything that isnt a Michelin.

It's a bit like Verstappen being sensational for a couple of years (arguably he already is) and then all of a sudden not anymore when Mercedes hires him. Right now you wouldnt expect this either, wouldnt you?

#22 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 19:13

Hamilton to Ferrari...

If he wins, he’ll surpass Schumacher and maybe even Senna.

If Leclerc beats him (and becomes wdc), it will be a massive dent in his legacy.

Is he willing to take this risk?

#23 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 19:18

Ferrari SHOULD make every attempt to hire him. Vettel and Leclerc have stunk it up in 2018 and 2019.

From Hamilton’s POV, it’s tough to say. Ferrari’s fans will never love him like their own, and he’ll probably lose his post-F1 backing from Merc.

#24 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 19:24

Post F1 backing Ferrari sounds fine to me too..

#25 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 19:59

The only way he goes to Ferrari is if Mercedes pulls out, and I doubt that will happen by 2021.

#26 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:00

It is Hamilton’s biggest flirt in F1 - ever.

Why?

#27 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:02

I think now that Hamilton has the idea in his head (finally), he won't let it go.

#28 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:08

Post F1 backing Ferrari sounds fine to me too..

Think about Vettel's situation now. He has more potential as a Red Bull ambassador post-F1 than as a Ferrari ambassador. In fact, I can see a lot of logic in his going back there for a couple of seasons, and then retiring with an ambassadorial role. Having a post-F1 ambassadorial role with Ferrari is highly dependent on winning the championship, and probably winning several. Lewis is so associated with Mercedes now that only a similar number of Ferrari championships would break that association IMO. 

Edited by garoidb, 12 December 2019 - 20:09.

#29 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:21

I think now that Hamilton has the idea in his head (finally), he won't let it go.

Is it really him though? He reacts to the rumours like it doesnt really interests him that much tbh. It's all coming from others than actually him, to me.

#30 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:21

I hope he does. Win the 8th title with Ferrari. It is written.

#31 BRG

BRG

• 25,939 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:29

Lewis is more likely to visit Croydon than he is to join Ferrari.

#32 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:30

Is it really him though? He reacts to the rumours like it doesnt really interests him that much tbh. It's all coming from others than actually him, to me.

It's confirmed they've met though, right?

That's a pretty big step for non-comittal Lewis.

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:37

It's confirmed they've met though, right?

That's a pretty big step for non-comittal Lewis.

Well, dont know if it's true but apparently they met socially over common friends (which they surely have), doesnt sound like a business meeting to me.

Could be of course that camilleri tries to downplay it, though

#34 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:49

I'd be cool if we had a "Lewis to drop Tommy Hilfiger for Calvin Klein" thread.

=D

#35 BRG

BRG

• 25,939 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 20:52

Well, dont know if it's true but apparently they met socially over common friends (which they surely have), doesnt sound like a business meeting to me.

Could be of course that camilleri tries to downplay it, though

Just the opposite.  Camilleri is stirring the pot to try to destabilise the Hamilton/Mercedes relationship.  With relationships inside Ferrari reaching rock bottom, he thinks they need all the help they can get.

#36 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:09

When I read articles about Wolff saying that they need to find sponsors to replace Daimlers investment in the team, I think it's time to go.

#37 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,752 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:19

I think he will move after he wins the title next year. Win win situation for him since its a massive rule change which bring opportunity for Ferrari to be number 1 anyway. 

So if he moves there, and wins Ferrari their long coveted title, his legendary status will be unbeatable for a long long time. 

If he doesn't win, people will still have alot of respect for him to be brave out of his comfort zone. 

#38 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:19

I'd quite like to see it. I mean, we know exactly what the combination of Hamilton and Brackley can do. Five times in fact. Mixing things up is always more interesting.

Will he? I doubt it.

#39 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:25

I'd much rather see him at a competitive Williams.

Advertisement

#40 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:32

When I read articles about Wolff saying that they need to find sponsors to replace Daimlers investment in the team, I think it's time to go.

Isn't Lewis known to be very attractive to sponsors? That shouldn't be a problem. 

#41 Westcoustskt

Westcoustskt

• 55 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:47

Maybe he needs to move to not loose his motivation.

#42 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 3,322 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:48

From Hamilton’s POV, it’s tough to say. Ferrari’s fans will never love him like their own, and he’ll probably lose his post-F1 backing from Merc.

you know nothing about Ferrari fans, sorry

#43 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,618 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:54

How much more years does Lewis have in him?

What if Toto doesnt want to miss out on Max when he becomes available for 2021. Would that be a reason for Lewis to leave?

#44 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,047 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 22:03

I think it's just an obvious win-win for Ferrari to release these statements

They ethier end up signing Lewis, or if not they boost up the amount that their rivals have to pay for him

I strongly suspect he will end up staying with Merc

I kinda want him to stay with merc as records are the most important thing for me and Merc look most likely to give him that over the next few years

It would be realy, properly exciting though, so if it does happen bring it on 😎

Edited by cheekybru, 12 December 2019 - 22:47.

#45 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,624 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 22:30

Should he? No, Ferrari has been a mirage for a long time now, luring drivers because of their history and sometimes having beautiful road cars. 

Will he? If he surpasses Schumi's record he may, mostly for fun and maybe to try to dispel the idea that most of his championships have been thanks to a dominant car. 

#46 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 1,292 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 23:58

Should he? No. Will he? Maybe.

Personally I would be surprised if he did considering his success has only been with Mercedes power and there is no guarantee of success with Ferrari.

#47 baddog

baddog

• 29,736 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 00:16

No and probably not. Lewis would not like the Ferrari paranoid gameplaying one little bit.

#48 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:02

Ferrari SHOULD make every attempt to hire him. Vettel and Leclerc have stunk it up in 2018 and 2019.

Remove Leclercs name from that and you're right. The 2018 championship was thrown away by Ferrari, I'm sure they are aware of that.

I think Hamilton will switch. A Hamilton/Leclerc pairing would be very strong - most of all it depends on whether they allow him the freedom that Mercedes do. That will be a big factor for LH and fair enough.

#49 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:19

He'd be an absolute legend if he brought the title back to Ferrari. On the other hand, he should be wise enough by now to know that his character and Ferrari's current chaos management would be a toxic combination. Mercedes it is.

I dismiss the premise - "he would be ....." on the grounds that he already is.

#50 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:06

If he could manage to convince a small cadre of personnel to make the jump with him (known quantities, and people that have his back) I think it's a much more viable choice...