Photo

Junior Johnson

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 21:34

Nothing on TNF yet about the passing of Junior Johnson?

Perhaps the best tribute to his influence is that a Shropshire farm boy like me, whose only contact with NASCAR when growing up was a) the short race reports in Autosport and b) the Dukes of Hazzard, automatically associates his name with the sport when it's mentioned.

Advertisement

#2 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 21:52

NASCAR legend Junior Johnson has passed. One of the best known of the pioneers, he had an impressive win record as driver and team owner.

https://www.autospor...on-dies-aged-88

Edited by D28, 21 December 2019 - 22:04.

#3 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,346 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 21:58

Nothing on TNF yet about the passing of Junior Johnson?

Perhaps the best tribute to his influence is that a Shropshire farm boy like me, whose only contact with NASCAR when growing up was a) the short race reports in Autosport and b) the Dukes of Hazzard, automatically associates his name with the sport when it's mentioned.

In my opinion, Junior Johnson represents a much better era of NASCAR and rightfully holds the place as one of the sports legends. I've always been an open wheel guy, but NASCAR of the 1960s and '70s was a lot of fun to watch and Johnson's teams were most often professional, well-sponsored, and fast. Condolences to his family and those who knew the man.

https://racer.com/20...dies-at-age-88/

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 22:33

RIP. One of a kind.

#5 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 23:29

I have to be honest, I haven't seen many films based on motor racing characters, and the reason is that most of them are so dire that I've never felt I'd be missing much by avoiding them. One exception, a number of years ago, was The Last American Hero, starring Jeff Bridges. It was based on a piece in Esquire magazine written by Tom Wolfe, and it's a fairly accurate depiction of the early life and racing career of Junior Johnson. Something that happens fairly often after a well known actor or other figure dies, is that a TV company slots some fairly relevant film about the departed into their schedule. Jeff Bridges hardly qualifies as as well known here these days, also NASCAR is little followed in the UK, and the number of people in this country who've heard of Junior Johnson probably wouldn't run into much more than double figures, but when I last saw it, I thought that TLAH was a pretty decent effort. If it did get a replay, maybe it would convert one or two more.

#6 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 23:37

https://classic.esqu.../junior-johnson

#7 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 00:26

I have to be honest, I haven't seen many films based on motor racing characters, and the reason is that most of them are so dire that I've never felt I'd be missing much by avoiding them. One exception, a number of years ago, was The Last American Hero, starring Jeff Bridges. It was based on a piece in Esquire magazine written by Tom Wolfe, and it's a fairly accurate depiction of the early life and racing career of Junior Johnson. Something that happens fairly often after a well known actor or other figure dies, is that a TV company slots some fairly relevant film about the departed into their schedule. Jeff Bridges hardly qualifies as as well known here these days, also NASCAR is little followed in the UK, and the number of people in this country who've heard of Junior Johnson probably wouldn't run into much more than double figures, but when I last saw it, I thought that TLAH was a pretty decent effort. If it did get a replay, maybe it would convert one or two more.

I read the famous article years ago, and probably Junior was known in some circles more for his off track capers than his driving record. Still that shouldn't be a distraction, the guy knew how to drive, as 50 wins as a driver plus 132 as an owner attest. That is the important thing to keep in mind when remembering him.

Edited by D28, 22 December 2019 - 00:27.

#8 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 09:12

I believe that the Country Music singer Johnny Bond wrote and recorded a song describing Junior Johnson as being The Greatest Racing Driver Of Them All. It appeared on his 'Famous Hot Rodders I Have Known' LP in the 1960's.

#9 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 17:09

Sorry,too much pre Christmas Vimto. that song was about Fireball Roberts. The one about Junior describes him as 'A Red Eyed Son Of A Gun'!.

Its been fifty years or so since I listened to that LP!. :(.

#10 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,260 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 17:18

Sorry,too much pre Christmas Vimto. that song was about Fireball Roberts. The one about Junior describes him as 'A Red Eyed Son Of A Gun'!.

Its been fifty years or so since I listened to that LP!. :(.

Eric, you were right the first time, Johnny Bond did a song titled: "Junior Johnson" on that LP. He also did one titled: "Fireball."  :up:

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 17:34

Bruce Springsteen 'Cadillac Ranch'

#12 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 18:26

Exceptional video about Junior and writer Tom Wolfe, two unlikely characters who forever changed each other's vision.

I for one am proud of unpretentious people like Junior. In a sport that evermore seems to be squeezing out those of a blue collar, people like Junior rose up from that very place to one of dreams.

Perhaps the irony is as ticket prices rise, the fans that built circle-track racing are forced back to the inexpensive bullrings that started it all. Maybe going home is just what they need.

Merry Christmas to All.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=qSW3WBoEkWc

Edit: The Last American Hero film:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=3jYrVdd3xzU

Edited by E1pix, 24 December 2019 - 19:45.

#13 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,021 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 01:54

I still remember a tale Waltrip told when he drove for Johnson.
Waltrip wanted to use the outhouse and Johnson was in it; Waltrip was banging on the door and Johnson said: Go udder one, go udder one.
So Waltrip started shouting UDDERONE, UDDERONE!
When Junior came out he gave Waltrip a you asshole look.

#14 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 20:26

I can recommend the 1999 book “Junior Johnson, Brave in Life” by Tom Higgins and Steve Waid. It was published by David Bull and contains many photos from Junior’s personal collection, including various early mug shots after he and family members were arrested because of the family moonshine business.

Plus, some wonderful quotes about drivers such as LeeRoy Yarbrough: “you could put his brains in your watch pocket, but you couldn’t put his courage in a dump truck.”

A wonderful read, with the introduction done  by Cale Yarborough.

In recent years Junior lent his name to various North Carolina products, Moonshine whiskey [now legal since taxes had been paid], pork rinds and country ham [the latter a little too salty for me].

All research: Willem Oosthoek