NTT IndyCar Series 2020 - Official Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
870 replies to this topic

#751 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,400 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 18:28

That's 2 million more reasons to be interested. I wonder if Robin Miller fainted from joy?

If not from the purse, then definitely from the venue bathrooms being renovated and upgraded.  :rotfl:

Advertisement

#752 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,302 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:00

I missed your post Red Stick. My sincere apologies, as I did think you'd forgotten all about Arie.
And Henri, that's a great memory to remember so vividly. And even better considering what happened at the race itself afterwards. It just adds to the charm and joy of your memories. Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure Beri.

I instantly admit that my picture is showing the actual car nowhere near as good as your inclusion. But as told by now, it was made on what with hindsight was a way more special and significant moment within Arie's career. They who know a bit about Arie remember the unexpected win, and ever so often you read about that it was a lucky win against the might of the larger teams having problems.

But I was there from Pole Day on and I saw how competitive Arie was in practice, almost every day within the top 5. Also within the week before Pole Day I wasn't there yet. I can't say that he was rated a favorite for victory before the race started but he was listed as a dark horse who could surprise after having had a good month of May. The victory took many by surprise and is of more importance of course. But that Third day of Qualifying was up till that moment his highlight moment at Indy and in his Indycar career. But by now kind of forgotten because....

And that's why I took this opportunity to bring back that moment again, and of course the fact that if I use my own pic, I don't offend anyone with not respecting copyrights.

And of course lots of praise and thanks to red stick for taking the time to post the pictures and compile the posts on my behalf!

#753 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,948 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:31

This just happen:

Penske Unveils Wide-Ranging Plan to Enhance Month of May, IMS
Record Purse, Qualifying Changes, New Sponsors, Facility Improvements Set for May 2020
INDIANAPOLIS, Friday, Feb. 14, 2020 - A wide-ranging, multifaceted plan to boost and strengthen the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was unveiled today featuring significant improvements and financial investment that will resonate with fans from Central Indiana and throughout the globe.
The goal of the plan is to produce a legendary Month of May. Enhancements revealed exactly 100 days from the 104th Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, May 24 include:
- The largest purse in Indianapolis 500 history
- Improvements to the Indianapolis 500 qualifying format and television schedule
- New sponsors investing long term in the "500," IMS and NTT INDYCAR SERIES
- A multimillion-dollar investment in the fan experience at IMS
Since Jan. 6, following the change in ownership, the IMS team moved quickly to implement significant upgrades to the GMR Grand Prix, Indianapolis 500 and the Big Machine Vodka 400 during Fourth of July weekend.
"This is the Racing Capital of the World," Roger Penske said. "It is on par with some of the most historic sporting institutions in this nation and across the globe, from Churchill Downs to Augusta National. Today, we're announcing a meaningful investment in our fan experience that will produce rapid results. It's part of a long-term plan to ensure the legendary status of the Speedway continues to grow and evolve for generations to come.
"I am very excited about the enhancements to qualifying weekend, the largest-ever '500' purse, new sponsors and the significant investments we are making to the INDYCAR SERIES and to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway."
Indianapolis 500 Purse
The event purse for the 104th Indianapolis 500 will be the largest in the history of the event. The purse will grow by $2 million to more than $15 million, boosting the prize pool for NTT INDYCAR SERIES teams and drivers.
Indianapolis 500 Qualifying
Qualifying weekend for the 104th Indianapolis 500 - Saturday, May 16 and Sunday, May 17 - will feature a variety of changes to its format and broadcast to create even more memories and drama.
Multiple attempts will return to the Last Row Shootout, expanding it to 75 minutes. Previous versions of the Shootout featured one attempt per car. While fans enjoyed that format, feedback indicated they wanted even more drama as drivers try to seize one of the three final spots in the field.
A boost in turbocharger level will see speeds climb this year during the Indy 500 qualifying sessions. Turbocharger boost will increase horsepower by 45 HP this year.
An expanded weekend TV schedule will ensure NBC televises coverage of qualifications on both Saturday and Sunday, with total network exposure increasing over 2019. Full weekend broadcast details will be released soon.
New Sponsors
The NTT INDYCAR SERIES and IMS will add six new major sponsors in 2020. Pennzoil, Verizon, Snap-on Tools, DEX Imaging, Road & Track magazine and Global Medical Response will make significant investments in the racing series and Speedway.
Multimillion-Dollar Fan Experience Investment
The 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 in 2016 saw large investments made to the Speedway. Beginning with this year's GMR Grand Prix, fans will experience many new upgrades to IMS. These enhancements are all projects that will be finished before gates open, with several additional opportunities under consideration for future seasons.
Technology upgrades are a major component of this plan. More than 30 additional large-screen video boards will be added, including 24 along the Paddock seating. The Paddock screens will bring race action and vital information to an additional 25,000 fans. In addition, all seven large infield big-screen monitors will receive a running order addition.
Another exciting addition is the IMS Media Wall. This video board, measuring 100 feet wide by 20 feet tall, will be installed at the base of the Pagoda facing the Pagoda Plaza as a cornerstone of a plan to transform the popular gathering area for fans. It will also provide data-driven race insights to fans from NTT.
Verizon and their 5G Ultra Wideband network will transform the iconic Speedway into a first of its kind technology-led entertainment complex. IMS will be the first motorsports facility with commercial 5G service that will enhance both the consumer experience and track operations.
Infrastructure improvements will be noticeable inside and outside of the fabled, 110-year-old facility.
Pedestrian traffic on Georgetown Road will be widened by two lanes to make ingress and egress easier for more than half of the venue's Race Day customers.
More than 125 restrooms are being renovated inside IMS. New pavement will be added to the Parcel B lot near the IMS Main Gate to improve the parking experience and create a cleaner look for the "front door" of the facility. Approximately 3 miles of fencing will be added to the entire grounds.
The winning driver and team of the Indianapolis 500, Grand Prix and Brickyard 400 will receive higher honors, as the winner's car will be elevated to the same level as the Victory Podium after each race. This will give fans a better vantage point for pictures and social media sharing of the most prestigious Victory Lane in global motorsports.
The atmosphere of the massive facility also will be enhanced through detail-oriented improvements throughout IMS.
Night light signage will be installed over Gates 1 and 2, while IMS will assume responsibility for the beautification project along Crawfordsville Road. Fans will notice fresh paint and new signage on more than 50 concession stands inside IMS, picnic tables added throughout the grounds for more gathering space for families and friends, and the placement of more than 230 racing-themed flags around the facility and Crawfordsville Road.
All aspects of this fan experience investment plan are underway and will be completed before IMS gates open for the Month of May on Friday, May 8.
Tickets are on sale now at IMS.com and the IMS Ticket Office for the 104th Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge, GMR Grand Prix, Big Machine Vodka 400 and all other activities at IMS.

https://www.indianap...ate021420Screen

#754 sblick

sblick

• 871 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 20:39

Excellent, can't wait to go to the Speedway for both races in May

#755 djparky

djparky

• 1,137 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 20:42

I shouldnt have watched that press conference...now I want to go to Indy again this year (sort of told myself I'd not go this year).

#756 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 21:12

Wherever Hinch is taking his Genesys money, it will not be RLL.

https://racer.com/20...t-remains-open/

#757 paulb

paulb

• 7,227 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 22:11

So the Indy 500 purse is increasing. Any inkling how these new funds will be distributed?

I hope that race finishing position will hold more weight than before. IIRC, last year Pippa Mann finished 16th yet only received the minimum payout.

The video board is positioned like at Daytona where it is a focal point at a fan gathering location. Food, drink, swag, music and media in one place.

Edited by paulb, 14 February 2020 - 22:17.

#758 FLB

FLB

• 10,840 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:52

More and more I'm thinking a second Meyer-Shank, somehow tied-in with Andretti.

Edited by FLB, 15 February 2020 - 01:53.

#759 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:30

We're running out of options. Coyne?

Advertisement

#760 prommer

prommer

• 2,525 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:45

Alex Palou on his Valentine's Day at Texas:

alexpalou

‪OMG ‬ ‪What a day! First time on an Oval and this thing is QUICK! ‬ ‪Loved every single lap around Texas and broke my land speed record at 215.150mph or 346.250kmh average! ‬ ‪This people is crazy and I love it.

Scott McLaughlin (214mph) had similarly effusive things to say too:

https://www.motorspo...e-love/4686080/

#761 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:11

Andretti Autosport has several No.29 options that aren't Fernando Alonso. Here's one that's basically an early 90s Williams livery.

2016-CAR-29-INDY-DAY-1.jpg?resize=800%2C

#762 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:32

29 to go.  Time to talk about . . .

the Novi.  And a unique circumstance in the WDC.

Photo and commentary courtesy of Henri Greuter.

img074.jpg

OK, 29 days to go, and what car numbered 29 is the one that comes to my thoughts the first of all?

Sorry fellow members, we will eventually get into World Drivers Championship related matters. But the one car numbered 29 that will be on the minds of most of you primarily because of who drove it, I had all but forgotten his number! But, remain with me, some things related with the #29 may sound a bit familiar. Because `my` #29 caused as much attention in its year at Indy as the one that will be on the mind of most readers.

The majority of entrants of Indycars between 1946 and 1955 used 4.5 liter Offenhauser straight fours,. The only entrant that had never ever used an Offy in those years was industrial Lew Welch. His cars were powered by a 3 liter supercharged shortstroke V8 engine, known as the Novi. Between 1946 and 1955 he used the engines in his two frontdriven cars. Bloody fast, yet unlucky and beasts that had killed two drivers already. Offy engines had 350 to 375 hp, Novis were rated at 550 hp and more, at the expense of a horrendous fuel consumption. The heavy cars wore out tires in record time.

Car builder Frank Kurtis had begged Welch for orders to built him reardrive cars since 1950, but to no avail. But early in 1956 the news came out that Welch had ordered two new cars. No other cars were as eagerly awaited by fans and press as the two new Novis, entered under the numbers 29 and 31.

Paul Russo drove the bloodred #29 and created shockwaves in practice on Wednesday May 16th, three days before Pole Day. Not a single driver and car had ever averaged a lap speed of over 145 mph yet. But when Russo unleashed #29 late in the afternoon for a flying lap, every jaw at the track dropped: Russo had averaged 146.6 mph!

Typical Novi luck, on Pole Day it all went wrong again for the team and Russo could not repeat anything close to that speed and eventually settled for a safe speed and 8th place on the grid.

Race Day then. It became stuff of legends. In the 11th lap Russo was laying third but in a move that bewildered everyone who saw it, he took the lead, remained over there and one lap in the race, despite traffic  he was faster than all but 6 drivers had been in qualifying! Too good to remain for a Novi. After 22 laps, still in the lead, his right rear tire blew, sending Paul into a heavy crash against the Turn 1 wall. Fortunately he escaped unhurt out of the wreck. But after his fine 22 lap show, he still was the first retirement and classified 33rd and dead last. Typical Novi luck.

But this final result leads to a bizarre statistic, unique in racing history.

F1 fans still have it difficult to make up their mind what to do with the Indy Results between 1950 and 1960 that counted for the World Drivers Championship (WDC). If we focus on the WDC, thus including Indy, then this very same #29 is part or a very weird statistic within WDC history.

One of the odd facts about that era is that apart from points for the first 5 cars at the finish and the permission to share a car and the points, there was also a point to be won for the driver who set the fastest laps in the race, the point was split between more drivers who had equaled that fastest lap. There is indeed one event in which 7 drivers scored the fastest lap and each of them earned 1/7th point!

The point for fastest lap in the Indy 500 in 1956 wasn't shared, it went to Paul Russo in the #29 Novi. And because of that, Paul and the Novi became the only driver&car combo ever that scored a WDC point despite the fact that they finished dead last in the actual race and on top of that, no other driver ever had been ranked so low ( 33rd ) in a WDC race and still scored a WDC point!

And to make things even more bizarre, within the championship for which the Indy 500 counted as well (USAC National Championship) Russo didn't score a single point....

The presented picture of the holder of this statistic is a much modified version of a color picture of which the copyrights belong to the IMS Photos dept.

#763 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:41

Pancho Carter, Indy 1987.  

Ci5q98xWkAAXvSB.jpg

An appreciation from Robin Miller.

https://www.youtube....h?v=YKYS-cJ7Fjo

#764 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:37

29 to go.  Time to talk about . . .

the Novi.  And a unique circumstance in the WDC.

Photo and commentary courtesy of Henri Greuter.

I assume Henri is OK with you just using all of his work in these threads.

#765 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:56

That's why they're attributed.  ;)

See post #752.

Edited by red stick, 15 February 2020 - 13:08.

#766 paulb

paulb

• 7,227 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 13:10

General Indy 500 question. I love the photos of the individual cars with the drivers, like the one below (shamelessly reposted from an Amphicar post in the Countdown topic). So my question is, do they still do that today (because I don’t see them posted)?

1969-CAR-29.jpg?resize=640%2C502

Edited by paulb, 15 February 2020 - 13:10.

#767 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 13:22

You'll love this page then Paul: http://openwheel33.com/paint-schemes/

IIRC those are the qualifying photos, but I don't think they maintain that tradition any more.

#768 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,948 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 15:41

Pancho Carter, Indy 1987.  

Ci5q98xWkAAXvSB.jpg

An appreciation from Robin Miller.

https://www.youtube....h?v=YKYS-cJ7Fjo

In my memory this car will eternally be suspended upside down about 2ft in the air. That image was on the cover of a magazine i used to buy as a motor racing mad kid growing up on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain and the first time i've actually seen an IndyCar.

#769 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,302 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 15:46

I assume Henri is OK with you just using all of his work in these threads.

PYS, (and others who wondered)

I have difficulties with posting pictures so red stick and I worked out something that he can use for the countdown with car numbers he started.

I am all fine with this, in fact, I could post the text but then the pics were missing. So I am more than happy as how things work out.

#770 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 16:01

In my memory this car will eternally be suspended upside down about 2ft in the air. That image was on the cover of a magazine i used to buy as a motor racing mad kid growing up on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain and the first time i've actually seen an IndyCar.

I originally had a link to it, but thought better of it.  But for anyone who's interested, google "Pancho Carter Indy upside down," or similar, and you'll find that he had a frightening-looking accident in practice.  Thankfully, he was uninjured.  

#771 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,302 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 16:08

You haven't heard about 1988 yet I suppose? Allow me to fill you in on the Hardship of Hardee's that year.

Same team but then they used the number 28. Still the very same March 87C as in the picture and the backup was a 86C. The 86C was in general a better car to have than a 87C so the team focussed on the 86C. On the third day of Qualifying, Pancho first qualified the 86C, appeared to be fast enough, heading for the finish flag but then crashed on the front straight so the yellow was thrown before he finished. End of the attempt.

"First qualified", yes because later on in the afternoon he went out with the 87C but then crashed that car as well!

With both cars wiped out, his team bought the backup Lola-Buick of Scott Brayton from Dick Simon Racing. I have pictures of that car in the colors of Brayton but with Hardee's lettering pasted onto it. Weird sight. Regrettably for Carter, he was unable to get the car up to speed and qualify it.

But sponsor Hardee's didn't give up on wanting a car with their colors in the race. The fourth car carrying the Hardee's sponsorship became Tony Bettenhausen's qualified car for which they provided some Race day sponsorship. But to no avail. Right after the start, after gone through Turn One there was a coming together of cars, Tony tried to avoid the mayhem but ended up in the wall of Turn Two.

And that was the third crash for a Hardee's car that year.....

A little piece of the bodywork of the first crashed car, the 86C was taken out of the garbage cannister it was thrown in by the crew and resides in my collection of 88 souvenirs....

#772 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 16:12

The rookies like the ovals.

https://racer.com/20...-at-texas-test/

#773 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,793 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 17:02

So sounds like no 3rd RLL at all.

Hinchcliffe to Andretti most likely.

#774 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,793 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 17:03

why Meyer-Shank? How did you get this idea?

#775 FLB

FLB

• 10,840 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 17:10

why Meyer-Shank? How did you get this idea?

Honda team. Currently expanding. Hinch reportedly has Honda Canada money. And MSR already has a partnership with Andretti:

https://www.autospor...h-andretti-deal

Edited by FLB, 15 February 2020 - 17:11.

#776 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,302 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 22:11

You'll love this page then Paul: http://openwheel33.com/paint-schemes/

IIRC those are the qualifying photos, but I don't think they maintain that tradition any more.

Q-pictures are still taken as far as I know.

#777 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 22:12

Q-pictures are still taken as far as I know.

I'd like to see them for modern times. Can't find any.

#778 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,302 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 22:36

I'd like to see them for modern times. Can't find any.

In recent times IMS Photos has been much more restrictive with releasing pictures for free and being very annoyed about the abuse of pictures of which they have the copyrights but which have found their way onto the internet without any credits given to them.

In the oldest of my pieces on 8W I could work out a manner to use the occasional picture with their permission and in case of doubts I always contacted them to find out what they felt about a certain use of a certain picture. I always followed their directions and had never had any troubles with them. With the new managements it was much more difficult to work something out. From a business point of view I can understand it and I can't blame them. They have lost a lot of possible income thanks to the elder material that found its way onto the internet already.

The new management is much more selective and restrictive, and I know of one case when at an internet site a bunch of pictures had to be removed or otherwise face the consequenses.

I have the feeling that in recent years the professional media are way more careful with the use of IMS pictures and prevent abuse that can could be traced back to them, and because of that you don't see recent Q-pics of recent years that often anymore at the internet.

Pity for us fans, but from a business point of view very understandable.

Hence why, if I ever use a picture of IMS heritage, including letting it use by  red stick over here, I specify that the used image is property of IMS Photos within my photo caption, like for example with the Novi picture used today.

People used pics taken by me that I included within my pieces on the 1990 March projects (both Alfa and Porsche) without notice or any referring: so I know to some extend how it feels. But I didn't lose money on it, IMS Photos did.

#779 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,857 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:07

Andretti Autosport has several No.29 options that aren't Fernando Alonso. Here's one that's basically an early 90s Williams livery.

2016-CAR-29-INDY-DAY-1.jpg?resize=800%2C

That paint job does not flatter the car, to put it very politely.

Advertisement

#780 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:42

ryan-hunter-reay-resigns-with-andretti.j

#781 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:54

Four weeks to go!

More Ryan.

IMG-3216.jpg

Racing at NOLA Motorsports Park, 2015, and showing off the Honda aerokit.

Personal photo.

Barber-Indy-2012-203.jpg

Battling Rubens Barrichello on the straight coming out of Turn 5, Barber Motorsports Park, 2012.

Personal photo.

#782 Collombin

Collombin

• 4,619 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:16

The first #28 I would think of is the 1952 Cummins diesel, or maybe the sleekest, lightest looking, most aerodynamic car ever raced in the 500, Cliff Bergere's Reo from 1931. I might be taking the piss with that description.

#783 FLB

FLB

• 10,840 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:41

055ecc1b6db594d5ba99469acd15576d.jpg

#784 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 13:16

The first #28 I would think of is the 1952 Cummins diesel, or maybe the sleekest, lightest looking, most aerodynamic car ever raced in the 500, Cliff Bergere's Reo from 1931. I might be taking the piss with that description.

It looked sleek and aerodynamic, but it was the heaviest of all cars in the race that year and maybe the heaviest in the entire 50s and thereafter.

I have seen footage of the qualifying run in which after completing the run one of the tires showed the canvas.

#785 maximilian

maximilian

• 5,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 13:39

055ecc1b6db594d5ba99469acd15576d.jpg

Twas super impressive when Mario got the emergency call-up after Pironi's accident, and proceeded to put the Ferrari on the POLE at Monza.  I regret that the current formula makes such heroics completely impossible.

#786 Collombin

Collombin

• 4,619 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 13:43

It looked sleek and aerodynamic, but it was the heaviest of all cars in the race that year and maybe the heaviest in the entire 50s and thereafter.

I was sarcastically referring to the Reo as sleek and aerodynamic.

Re the Cummins diesel, yes its weight was clearly its huge negative - I think it was nearly as heavy as the twin engined Fageol Coach Special from 1946.

#787 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 14:10

Twas super impressive when Mario got the emergency call-up after Pironi's accident, and proceeded to put the Ferrari on the POLE at Monza.  I regret that the current formula makes such heroics completely impossible.

My favourite stat about Mario that year is that he subbed for both the WDC and WCC winning teams.

#788 FLB

FLB

• 10,840 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 15:19

A bit random:

Spencer Pigot is reportedly heading from IndyCar to the ELMS with Inter Europol Competition...

https://www.enduranc...-dapres-course/ (en français)

#789 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 9,005 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 16:35

That's about as random as having "europol" in a team name!

#790 maximilian

maximilian

• 5,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 16:43

A bit random:

Spencer Pigot is reportedly heading from IndyCar to the ELMS with Inter Europol Competition...

https://www.enduranc...-dapres-course/ (en français)

Not to be confused with Euro Interpol! 

220px-INTERPOL_Logo.svg.png

#791 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,640 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 16:53

Twas super impressive when Mario got the emergency call-up after Pironi's accident, and proceeded to put the Ferrari on the POLE at Monza. I regret that the current formula makes such heroics completely impossible.

Not to draw us off topic, but why would it be impossible?

#792 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 17:09

Contracts.  Reserve drivers.  Change of custom.  Perhaps not impossible, merely highly improbable?   :well:

#793 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,640 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 17:20

Andretti had been a full-time F1 driver with Alfa Romeo the previous season, so he'd have qualified for a superlicence if such a system had existed back then. If Vettel sustained an injury ahead of the Italian GP, it wouldn't be that exotic or strange for, say, Nico Hulkenberg to end up in the Ferrari. Of course he'd probably finish fourth and not put the car on pole.

#794 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 21,509 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 17:21

Andretti had been a full-time F1 driver with Alfa Romeo the previous season, so he'd have qualified for a superlicence if such a system had existed back then. If Vettel sustained an injury ahead of the Italian GP, it wouldn't be that exotic or strange for Nico Hulkenberg to end up in the Ferrari. Of course he probably wouldn't put the car on pole.

Also, as I alluded to before, he'd done the Long Beach Grand Prix that year with Williams.

#795 maximilian

maximilian

• 5,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 17:22

Also just super difficult for even the most accomplished driver to jump into a current F1 car and do reasonably well without much chance to test and practice.

#796 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 9,005 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 17:24

Not to be confused with Euro Interpol! 

Nor the actual Europol

#797 Frood

Frood

• 3,663 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 18:25

Nor the actual Europol

Or the other Interpol.

#798 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:15

WRI2_00001223-014-e1463990510779.jpg

The story behind the story.

http://8w.forix.com/indy95.html

#799 red stick

red stick

• 4,534 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:17

There's something about Canadians, pale blue and white.  Hinch at Barber, 2014.

IMG-2927.jpg

Personal photo.

Edited by red stick, 17 February 2020 - 06:19.

Advertisement

#800 Beri

Beri

• 2,389 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:49

That Players livery. So simple, yet so effective and so incredibly iconic.