Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

2020 Rallying thread (WRC, ERC, other series)

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#1 taz

taz

• 385 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 15:01

A new year, a new topic for the 2020 rallying season :)

eFFtJZB.jpg

WRC: https://www.wrc.com/...29772-16--.html

mZ2Xplt.jpg

ERC: https://www.fiaerc.com

Advertisement

#2 messy

messy

• 4,221 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 16:24

I’m not really looking forward to the WRC this year sadly, and I’ve absolutely loved it since the new rules came into place for 2017.

Having both Tanak and Neuville in Hyundai’s and Ogier in a a Toyota is just all wrong.

I hope it’s a fantastic year and I’m proved wrong.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 30,721 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 17:53

Dakar 2020 thread is live. Come here for your rally raidy goodness for the Monte Carlo on the 20th!

#4 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,434 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:36

I’m not really looking forward to the WRC this year sadly, and I’ve absolutely loved it since the new rules came into place for 2017.

Having both Tanak and Neuville in Hyundai’s and Ogier in a a Toyota is just all wrong.

And I still maintain that's the pessimistic's take. I think it's very interesting to see if Tanak can or not take on Neuville. Neuville has home ground advantage, Tanak the better recent form and seems overall the superior driver. And can Ogier go into retirement after bagging a title in yet another new team or not? It's all a fascinating story even if it's sad that we're gonna have a pretty small field of WRC cars.

#5 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,370 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 15:21

And don't forget there is the ERC, and other national series......rallying isn't just the WRC.

#6 BRG

BRG

• 17,638 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 22:09

No indeed, some of the national championships are more closely contested than the big series.  The Belgian RC for instance. 

And here at home in the UK, we will have a closed road rally in England in the BRC for the first time.  It has included the Jim Clark in Scotland in the past, but we are now in the new age where the whole of the UK can have closed road rallies - just like every other country on the world.  In fact, four of the six rounds are on closed roads, in Essex, Ulster, Eire and Belgium so the championship is predominantly tarmac for the first time(?)

#7 tormave

tormave

• 1,625 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 17:40

Lappi will drive for his 3rd WRC team in as many years. It’ll be interesting to see the head-to-head with Suninen.

#8 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,848 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:39

M-Sport unveiled their new livery for 2020 Fiesta.

17431_Livery-Birmingham-2020_001_896x504

17430_Livery-Birmingham-2020_002_896x504

17428_Livery-Birmingham-2020_001_896x504

#9 Branislav

Branislav

• 1,081 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:47

Are Red Bull TV going to broadcast this year WRC like they did before?

#10 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 432 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:54

Love how the Fiesta looks this year! Hopefully it's fast and can win a round or two... I really wish Ford would invest more into M-Sport.

#11 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,848 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:57

Love how the Fiesta looks this year! Hopefully it's fast and can win a round or two... I really wish Ford would invest more into M-Sport.

M-Sport told there will be an upgraded more powerful engine coming this year, probably after first four rallies. it is the first upgrade since the start of the new regulation era.

#12 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 432 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:43

M-Sport told there will be an upgraded more powerful engine coming this year, probably after first four rallies. it is the first upgrade since the start of the new regulation era.

Yes, which is good news. Is the unit still built by Mountune on behalf of Ford/M-Sport? 

I was hoping there would be some news about Ford stepping up a bit more to support the team better financially. I know Wilson has always said that it's hard, if not impossible to compete with the OEM's with the budget they have. However, historically whenever Ford have gotten more involved with a team, they end up trying to run it, so maybe it's not a bad thing. 

#13 messy

messy

• 4,221 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:44

That's a lovely livery on the Fiesta, actually

#14 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 642 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 22:36

M-Sport unveiled their new livery for 2020 Fiesta.

17431_Livery-Birmingham-2020_001_896x504

17430_Livery-Birmingham-2020_002_896x504

17428_Livery-Birmingham-2020_001_896x504

Love it. Good to see a bit more colour on the car this year, and the blue/white edges translate well with the main driver pairings this year!

#15 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,452 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:44

That Fiesta looks great indeed!

#16 masa90

masa90

• 524 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:01

That Fiesta is amazing! Bit weird, wrc is probably the only sport in which I wish success for all the teams.

Launched, the new Toyota is pretty much the same. Few minor mods to 2-3 stickers but rest look the same. Now waiting for the Hyundai.

#17 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,370 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:55

Well yes; they provide technical support - but you'd like to see more, especially £$£$£$£$£, then one of the top line drivers might have been signed. 

#18 messy

messy

• 4,221 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:12

Launched, the new Toyota is pretty much the same. Few minor mods to 2-3 stickers but rest look the same. Now waiting for the Hyundai.

In other words, no massive Red Bull stickers to mess up the livery. I'm very pleasently surprised. I thought RB went everywhere with Seb.

#19 masa90

masa90

• 524 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:44

Red bull sponsors all 3 of the Toyota drivers. I think they might have rbhelmets or hats on next year. Let's see.

Advertisement

#20 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,370 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 15:51

In other words, no massive Red Bull stickers to mess up the livery. I'm very pleasantly surprised. I thought RB went everywhere with Seb.

I don't think they were ever likely to change colours; it would go against their corporate 'image'. All their other teams have the same colours. Most people assumed it would be RB colours......

#21 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 642 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 20:13

Meanwhile, Ott still has the #8 on his crash helmet, so presumably he won‘t be taking #1. Bit of a shame, really.

Do we know which number Ogier has chosen?

#22 tormave

tormave

• 1,625 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 20:57

Rally season starts next weekend with Arctic Rally Finland. Two current WRC cars take part with Toyota rookie Kalle Rovanpera and Valtteri Bottas (yes, that one) as drivers. 31 R5 cars participating. Conditions will be like Rally Sweden with lots of snow and ice.

https://twitter.com/Tunturirally

#23 messy

messy

• 4,221 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:33

Meanwhile, Ott still has the #8 on his crash helmet, so presumably he won‘t be taking #1. Bit of a shame, really.
Do we know which number Ogier has chosen?

17. Will be odd not seeing him with #1.

#24 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 178 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 14:03

Rally season starts next weekend with Arctic Rally Finland. Two current WRC cars take part with Toyota rookie Kalle Rovanpera and Valtteri Bottas (yes, that one) as drivers. 31 R5 cars participating. Conditions will be like Rally Sweden with lots of snow and ice.

4 weeks before the rally starts conditions south of Torsby looks less than promising. Colin's Crest as it is now : https://static-cdn.s...?preset=768x432

+ 5 degrees and more rain today.... Further into the forests it's slightly better when the roads still have a 2" layer of ice on them.

There will hopefully be a change in the weather soon, because unless there will be (at best) another touch & go rally with cancelled stages etc.

Further up north there have been plenty of snow but in the south there have been rain and mild weather for several weeks. a bit like in '90 (!)

As recent as 2018 the conditions were fantastic and it was more snow than for decades. according to local sources.

#25 BRG

BRG

• 17,638 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 16:35

Rally season starts next weekend with Arctic Rally Finland.

Rally season already started.  We have had the Janner Rally in Austria this year for instance.

#26 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 9,086 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 17:55

4 weeks before the rally starts conditions south of Torsby looks less than promising. Colin's Crest as it is now : https://static-cdn.s...?preset=768x432

+ 5 degrees and more rain today.... Further into the forests it's slightly better when the roads still have a 2" layer of ice on them.

There will hopefully be a change in the weather soon, because unless there will be (at best) another touch & go rally with cancelled stages etc.

Further up north there have been plenty of snow but in the south there have been rain and mild weather for several weeks. a bit like in '90 (!)

As recent as 2018 the conditions were fantastic and it was more snow than for decades. according to local sources.

Yes, yup and that's right.

Even in the Norwegian stages that have been among the best the last years, there is very little snow and/or ice. The weather is also very consistent, with 2-5 degrees and rain now and then. Most likely this is the way it will be for weeks to come as well. I am not very positive regarding Rally Sweden 2020 sadly.

#27 tormave

tormave

• 1,625 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 16:44

WRC really deserves one proper winter event. Has there been any talk in Sweden about moving the rally further up north to avoid the annual weather discussion?

#28 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 9,086 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 17:41

WRC really deserves one proper winter event. Has there been any talk in Sweden about moving the rally further up north to avoid the annual weather discussion?

The money is around Karlstad.

I always felt that Sälen would be a better place, have the stages in that area. And have Torsby Servicepark as the southest point. Though, that would remove Colins Crest from the rally.

#29 tormave

tormave

• 1,625 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 21:06

I would happily trade Colin's Crest to proper icy roads with snow banks. Is Sälen really far enough north with the changing climate? I've been to Mora a few times as my wife has relatives there, but I never went during the winter. Actually I wouldn't mind a second winter rally in the calendar. Ice and snow in Monte too will probably be a distant memory in a few years.

#30 tormave

tormave

• 1,625 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 17:28

Arctic Rally started today with shakedown. Lots of media posted on https://twitter.com/...q=#tunturiralli.

#31 BRG

BRG

• 17,638 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 17:35

I would happily trade Colin's Crest to proper icy roads with snow banks. Is Sälen really far enough north with the changing climate? I've been to Mora a few times as my wife has relatives there, but I never went during the winter. Actually I wouldn't mind a second winter rally in the calendar. Ice and snow in Monte too will probably be a distant memory in a few years.

One crest in a forest is much like any other.  Just move north, find a crest and call it Colin's.

If they really want proper winter rallies, they might try Canada where there are several long established winter rallies

#32 tormave

tormave

• 1,625 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 22:31

Rovanpera in Arctic Rally shakedown. This is what a winter rally should look like:

#33 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,434 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 23:46

Well I was expecting a lot of turmoil and bad side effects from climate change but didn't exactly think the WRC would be on the list by 2020. First Australia's on fire then Sweden's not snowy enough. What's next, hurricanes? *touches wood*

#34 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 9,086 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:07

It is, it's also higher up.
The Norwegian stages, together with Likenäs were the only ones being run twice the year so many stages got cancelled(2016?). Are all south for Sälen.

#35 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 178 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 13:44

Well I was expecting a lot of turmoil and bad side effects from climate change but didn't exactly think the WRC would be on the list by 2020. First Australia's on fire then Sweden's not snowy enough. What's next, hurricanes? *touches wood*

It really looks grim now as the mild weather is set continue for the foreseeable future and no chance of any snow.

This starts to look exactly like '90 when the rally was cancelled, back then there was a bad spell from '88 to '94.

We mustn't confuse weather and climate, other places in Scandinavia and the rest of the world this winter have provided more snow and cold than for a long time.

When it comes to Australia the Indian Ocean Diopole must be taken into account, last time it was so strong was in 2009! Which with help of arsonists brought "Black Saturday".

Back to Sweden, I must mention again that as recent as 2018 southern Scandinavia had the best winter for many years. https://youtu.be/YjeGrN7eVAE

Here's some historical data (1756 onwards) from the weather observatory SMHI in Stockholm : https://www.smhi.se/...r27_eng_ver.pdf

Edited by Myhinpaa, 17 January 2020 - 16:10.

#36 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 9,086 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 14:44

At the same time, I am not yet 30, my first 6-7 schoolyears we used skis to get to school in the winter, on the road, over frozen waters. Then it started to be rarer be able to do so. Even the last years "good winters" have only occasionally let us use the frozen waters. But not a chance to use skis.
The cold comes later, the spring earlier, and snow is rarer.
It's around the Norwegian stages in Rally Sweden, and while it usually is more proper winter there. It's not how it was 15-20 years ago in these areas.

It's quite fascinating really.

#37 tormave

tormave

• 1,625 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 19:15

Rovanpera lost the Arctic Rally lead on stage 3. Apparently Toyota has such efficient cooling, that in road mode it needs winter blanking plates in front of the radiator. Kalle forgot to take those off for SS3 and the engine overheated in stage mode...

He re-took the lead by the end of day 1. Bottas hit a tree and lost a lot of time. Results: https://www.ewrc-res...and-rally-2020/

#38 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 178 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 16:02

Full spec. rally cars have always needed radiator blanking plates for the Arctic as it's usually very cold up there, - 30 C and more isn't uncommon.

Road cars will also use blanking plates during winter there, but when driven normally they keep within normal engine temperature range.

Final results from Arctic Rally : http://www.rallism.f...vetulokset.html

Here's a map over Sweden showing the snow depths (lack of!), as we can see it's next to nothing even as far as 30 miles north of Torsby.

As we get further east the snow boundary creeps even further north, the first round of the national rally championship to be held

on the 31st. in that area (Sandviken) have already been cancelled.

Weather forecast for the next 8 days are more of the same mild weather, it will take a miracle for Rally Sweden to go ahead this year.

Some more historical data of snow depths here. The first time "Rally Sweden" was ran as a winter rally was 1965. ("KAK-Rallyt")

That time they ran a 60 mile+ stage entirely on the frozen river (Klarálven) which passes through Torsby County towards Karlstad.

1997 was one of those touch-and-go years with lots of gravel on the stages which makes the tyres go off and shed their studs pretty quickly.

But that year there had been more snow and colder weather before the mild weather front set in and kept on sending warm winds and rain from SW.

They could still run a stage on the frozen ice in the Karlstad harbour. https://youtu.be/2EcaOFt2N2c

PS. So far 13 winter rallies have been cancelled in Sweden this season, and more in Finland and the Baltic countries.

Edited by Myhinpaa, 19 January 2020 - 23:00.

#39 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 642 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 18:05

Just caught up with shakedown. Rovanpera has chosen car number 69.

Noice.

Advertisement

#40 tormave

tormave

• 1,625 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 15:20

WRC+ has a new UI in both the web and on the iOS app. Assuming the video still works as last year, I think it's an improvement. There's a forced password change when you use the new platform; if you want to watch SS1 live today, better tune in 10 or so minutes in advance.

#41 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 629 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 15:36

WRC+ has a new UI in both the web and on the iOS app. Assuming the video still works as last year, I think it's an improvement. There's a forced password change when you use the new platform; if you want to watch SS1 live today, better tune in 10 or so minutes in advance.

Their TV app is made unusable and they now advise you to watch on your smartphone when you open the TV app...great improvement indeed.

#42 proviz

proviz

• 615 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 16:14

FIA World Rally Championship shoots itself in the foot with a non-functioning website. AGAIN! Can't even find a schedule of stages run today. It says "loading.... loading... loading..." in three or four places with nothing happening. Same view as yesterday. 

#43 proviz

proviz

• 615 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 16:19

And at the same time ewrc-results.com seems fine, all set to show what's happening. The situation with the "official site" is absolutely unbelievable. They've repeatedly messed up for so many years now. Heads ought to fall! Well, actually that should already have happened years ago.

#44 BRG

BRG

• 17,638 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 16:27

WRC was always the clunkiest site that I regularly used.  Now they have improved it to be the clunkiest site( period).

It is 2020 and yet accessing the WRC is slower than using a phone modem back in 1990.  

#45 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,496 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 17:30

FIA World Rally Championship shoots itself in the foot with a non-functioning website. AGAIN! Can't even find a schedule of stages run today. It says "loading.... loading... loading..." in three or four places with nothing happening. Same view as yesterday.

Works fine for me

#46 proviz

proviz

• 615 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 18:07

Early in this century a WRC qualifying round wanted to sell special stage tickets through its website. Problem was hardly anyone could access the relevant pages. "Works fine for me" said the guy responsible for the system. Guess if he was given the same job again!

#47 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,496 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 18:40

Early in this century a WRC qualifying round wanted to sell special stage tickets through its website. Problem was hardly anyone could access the relevant pages. "Works fine for me" said the guy responsible for the system. Guess if he was given the same job again!

source.gif
But on a serious note I hope any problems you are having get sorted, still got some time before the first stage :)

Edited by Danyy, 23 January 2020 - 18:42.

#48 masa90

masa90

• 524 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 20:11

Well done Kalle, Ogier, Elfyn and Ott. Big problems for Ford.

#49 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,496 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 20:23

Fords getting destroyed by leaves wow

#50 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,496 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 20:24

Nice to see Ogier, Evans and Kalle doing well. Tanak beating Neuville already