- - - - -

Coming back to Formula 1 Sims after 15 years- Help

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 4,206 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 16:10

Hi guys, I have been out of the loop for games for over 15 years, the last Formula 1 game I took seriously was GP4. Recently with the evolution and tech changes that make it so realistic, I have got back the excitement to try it again. I want to buy a Wheel which I am thinking of the logitech 29g is a good value one and get a good video card and go for it.

Do you guys have any tips on which game version should I go to first? I was thinking about getting the F1 2017 Codemasters, because I really don´t like the Halo and it seems to be a very complete version, with career mode and older classic cars or should I go straight to the F1 2019 version? For multiplayer online, which ones are the most popular and fun, as the time I played with GP2 AND GP4, online playing wasn´t exactly the thing yet for Sims races.  Also, I am so out of the loop that I don´t even know how current games are purchased and run, no more CDs,  are all site that sell it for download online reliable? You need that Steam Key to run it, right? Thanks! 

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 17:03

It depends what you want from your F1 racing experience. The Codies F1 games provide a fantastic immersion of the entire F1 experience. Multiplayer is decent with various option for how to play. Don't bother with F1 2017. Get the latest version. The career mode is much improved, and with F1 2019 you'll have the F2 content to play about with along with a lot more classic cars. You'll also benefit from the improved physics engine. I think 2018 was when they overhauled the tyre model. 2019 will should also see the busiest servers for multiplayer. If the halo bothers you you can play with the central pillar invisible.

However, if you're really into serious sim racing, especially online, you might be better of going for something like Assetto Corsa or even plunging into iRacing. Probably best to check out youtube for a bit to see what suits you most.

#3 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 17:47

2015 - decent but not great. Decent, solid enough racing but very little challenge in the driving model. Does have the benefit of including both 2014 and 2015 seasons. Doesn’t feel anything like the ones that followed.
2016 - massive step forward, challenging, stable and including stuff like safety cars.
2017 - a solid step forward from 2016.
2018 - on the basic PS4, stuttery and slightly disappointing. On a PS4 Pro or particularly Xbox One X, much much better. Handling is pretty much the same as 2019.
2019 - includes F2 which is a great addition, the F1 is a decent evolution of 18 really.

I’d say probably you can’t go wrong with F1 2019 but anything from 2016 is a good game.

#4 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 4,206 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:34

Thanks for the tips guys, do you guys play online, how can we get together and do a Autosport forum race...?  Or championship! 

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:42

I'd be up for that but I don't think F1 2019 supports cross-platform multiplayer, and I'm playing on XBone.

#6 Hati

Hati

• 6,896 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:02

However, if you're really into serious sim racing, especially online, you might be better of going for something like Assetto Corsa or even plunging into iRacing. Probably best to check out youtube for a bit to see what suits you most.

It should be noted that even if Assetto Corsa is a great game it's not exactly an F1 game. There are some F1 cars from different eras and you get more with mods but no F1 career. I have only tested iRacing but think that it doesn't have F1 cars?

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:41

It should be noted that even if Assetto Corsa is a great game it's not exactly an F1 game. There are some F1 cars from different eras and you get more with mods but no F1 career. I have only tested iRacing but think that it doesn't have F1 cars?

AC does have some great options and is very readily modded, but you lose out on the "off-track" experience so to speak.

As for iRacing, check out the cars list: https://www.iracing.com/cars/

#8 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 13:45

I’m in a similar position to the OP. I’ve been away from driving sims for a long, long time and have just been given an old PS3.

Does anyone have any suggestions for realistic track driving sims I could try? I think I’ve sourced a wheel so I’m keen to get the most out of it.

#9 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,695 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 16:18

As a racing experience, Gran Turismo Sport is fantastic online. Has it's faults but it's done pretty well. 

#10 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 18:54

I’m in a similar position to the OP. I’ve been away from driving sims for a long, long time and have just been given an old PS3.
Does anyone have any suggestions for realistic track driving sims I could try? I think I’ve sourced a wheel so I’m keen to get the most out of it.

Project CARS 2 is the best, for me. Oh, sorry, PS3 - maybe GRID Autosport and Gran Turismo 6 should be your two go-to’s I think. GT6 is still, in a lot of ways, better than GT Sport - at least, it’s bigger anyway and has loads of features - like GTS they kept adding free updates for a couple of years after release so you’ve got a time trial Mille Miglia type thing, Goodwood Hillclimb, a track editor....it’s good. Core driving experience excellent but racing experience and AI let it down and feel quite outdated. GRID Autosport is the polar opposite. It’s a bit bare bones and lacks character somehow, but they’ve got the actual racing side of it absolutely nailed.

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 22:47

I'll second you on GRID Autosport. That was a loads of fun, though I was playing on a 360.

#12 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:48

Still got GA on my Xbox One and still play it - so much better than the recent GRID game. Ton of content, classic touring cars, best damage model I've ever seen on a 'serious' sim game, just a great game. 

Doesn't even look that bad even now. 

Edited by messy, 16 January 2020 - 07:49.

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:57

Hey messy, what do you play PCars2 with, hardware-wise? Do you think it’s good enough just with an XBone and standard controller? From what I’ve seen I’d like to play it but I’m concerned it’s only really playable with a wheel and pedals.

#14 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:38

GT6 would be a pretty good choice if you only care about offline stuff. Polyphony Digital doesn't support that game anymore, so you couldn't do anything online or buy anything I don't think. Messy is right about the racing and AI, but Gran Turismo Sport is no better in this aspect either though. The old Grid games were awesome, so I would probably try those out first.

#15 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 13:07

Hey messy, what do you play PCars2 with, hardware-wise? Do you think it’s good enough just with an XBone and standard controller? From what I’ve seen I’d like to play it but I’m concerned it’s only really playable with a wheel and pedals.

Xbox One X with a control pad - my wife would disown me if I got a wheel set up, she really would. She already thinks gaming is a stupid thing for a 34 year old adult to do. I find it perfectly playable using a pad - unlike say Assetto Corsa which is almost uncontrollable without a wheel especially using the Xbox controller. Need to tweak it ever so slightly maybe and make sure the opposite lock assist is on because that essentially deals with the little micro-corrections that you can't physically make using a control stick and makes the handling more solid.

It runs much, much better on the XB1X though, much smoother, quicker loading times, sharper visuals. It stretches the base hardware quite a lot especially with big grids. 

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 13:10

Xbox One X with a control pad - my wife would disown me if I got a wheel set up, she really would. She already thinks gaming is a stupid thing for a 34 year old adult to do. I find it perfectly playable using a pad - unlike say Assetto Corsa which is almost uncontrollable without a wheel especially using the Xbox controller. Need to tweak it ever so slightly maybe and make sure the opposite lock assist is on because that essentially deals with the little micro-corrections that you can't physically make using a control stick and makes the handling more solid.

It runs much, much better on the XB1X though, much smoother, quicker loading times, sharper visuals. It stretches the base hardware quite a lot especially with big grids. 

I don't have an X but I will consider giving it a go.

#17 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 18:38

Thanks for the advice everyone. :up:  :up:  :up: 

I think I'll be getting Grid Autosport along with Dirt 3 for a bit of off-road action  :)

#18 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,986 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 18:42

Oh I got many, many hours of enjoyment out of Dirt 3.

#19 Hati

Hati

• 6,896 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:53

She already thinks gaming is a stupid thing for a 34 year old adult to do.

Make a poll about average age of sim racers in this forum and show results to your wife. I'm pretty sure you are a youngster in that poll.

Advertisement

#20 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 19:24

GT6 would be a pretty good choice if you only care about offline stuff. Polyphony Digital doesn't support that game anymore, so you couldn't do anything online or buy anything I don't think. Messy is right about the racing and AI, but Gran Turismo Sport is no better in this aspect either though. The old Grid games were awesome, so I would probably try those out first.

It is a bit. Really, try GT6, it’s amazing. In so many ways it’s such an advanced game for its day, but in terms of racing and AI it’s not moved on since 1998 - small grid of AI cars all equally spaced out, trundling round follow the leader. In GTS they’ve at least tried to get them to bunch up and race each other even if the result isn’t exactly brilliant.

I think AI is the Achilles heel of most of them to be honest (albeit not to that extent). Project CARS 2 ranges from really good AI (GT cars on conventional circuits on a high level with aggression turned up) to laughably appalling (Indycar on ovals), Assetto Corsa was only improved with a late patch, it was so bad that if you had a multi-class race the faster cars wouldn’t even attempt to lap the slow ones - and Forza is Forza.

That’s where Codemasters have it nailed with GRID Autosport really. Much better.

#21 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 19:06

Well, I've only sunk about 2 hours into Grid Autosport so far but having great fun  :)

#22 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 18:14

If you are up for something other than F1, can I recommend Raceroom racing experience.  Some lovely driving to be had if you like DTM or WTCC.

#23 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 18:16

Make a poll about average age of sim racers in this forum and show results to your wife. I'm pretty sure you are a youngster in that poll.

I'm 65 this year and wife still thinks i need to grow up. Aint gonna happen though  :p

#24 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 18:23

https://youtu.be/1Jo8Iny1mIM

#25 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 15:12

Help!

I'm currently on the tuner class on Grid Autosport and I'm really struggling with the drifting. I'm veering between being 2 seconds clear of the field in the timed events and finishing dead last every time in the drifts.

Anyone got any advice?