Photo

Any ideas what I can actually see at the public Autosport show on January 12th?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 16:59

I know this seems dumb but I can't get any real idea of what is on show ( modern or Historic) at the upcoming Autosport Show.

I can usually get a good idea for the Race Retro or FOS but the official website seems rather vague beyond a long list of trade exhibitors.

I've been before and realise a lot of the "trade " stuff is similar year to year so does anybody know if are there likely to be any interesting cars on display as well please?

Advertisement

#2 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 18:13

...just go to Race Retro. Easy access, easy parking, cosy atmosphere and a great place to meet up with a couple of mates for a beer.

#3 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 892 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 18:36

Ditto.

#4 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 523 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:19

Anyone planning to be at either Autosport International or Race Retro this year? We should perhaps have a TNF "gathering", as my kids say  :drunk:

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:35

I'm attending on Friday along with RS250 /Ian Shelbourne. Frankly, I wouldn't bother but for the fact that the concessions I get through being a member of Motor Sport UK and other sources and the fact that it is on my doorstep make it a bit of a no-brainer. Tip, parking is expensive, so I park at Hampton-in-Arden station (free parking/2 min journey/fare a couple of quid) & hop on the train to Birmingham International.

The historic content has dwindled to next to nothing over the years, and I'm not even sure the HSCC who normally have some sort of celebration on the Friday will be attending.

Put it this way, if I had to drive 100 miles, shell out £33 entry and pay £16 parking ( £30 & £12 if booked in advance), I'd give it a miss.

Edited by Giraffe, 12 January 2020 - 11:09.

#6 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 523 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:58

Good shout - incidentally, another tip is to park at Birmingham International Station (not as cheap as Henley-in-Arden, but still about half the price of the NEC) and just walk in over the bridge. Makes for a quicker getaway than than the NEC car parks too.

I realise Race Retro is much more up "our" street than Autosport International (I nearly abbreviated that to AI, before realising that the farming context of that phrase is not dissimilar to how I feel about some of the ticket prices!); all things being equal, I should be at Stoneleigh on the Saturday .

#7 68targa

68targa

• 1,142 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:29

I find that the Autosport show is aimed more at the serious racer and engineering side of things whereas Race Retro is very much for the enthusiast with a lot of smaller stands that would not be able to afford the NEC site fees. (Also free parking).

Race Retro wins every time.

#8 mistakenplane

mistakenplane

• 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 15:53

Good shout - incidentally, another tip is to park at Birmingham International Station (not as cheap as Henley-in-Arden, but still about half the price of the NEC) and just walk in over the bridge. Makes for a quicker getaway than than the NEC car parks too.

I realise Race Retro is much more up "our" street than Autosport International (I nearly abbreviated that to AI, before realising that the farming context of that phrase is not dissimilar to how I feel about some of the ticket prices!); all things being equal, I should be at Stoneleigh on the Saturday .

Alas the station is now £12 weekday / £9 weekend, so pretty much the same as on site, though if the weather is bad at least you are under cover as you walk to and from the show!

#9 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,119 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 13:43

Hampton in Arden ain't it, not Henley in Arden?

#10 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 20:27

I shan't be visiting the Autosport show but am planning to be at Stoneleigh for the Saturday.....

#11 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 394 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:29

Don't expect too much......

The Autosport 70th anniversary exhibition is good with some interesting cars but other than that it is a bit of a struggle to find anything worthy. Plenty of virtual racing stuff and accessories of one sort or another, not much for a denizen of the Nostalgia Forum methinks.

The engineering part was full of familiar faces and products but that closes tonight.................frankly a trip to Rétromobile would be much more rewarding.

#12 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:29

I ignored alt the good advice here , and my own misgivings ,and went with my wife yesterday.

Without wanting to be an old grump it was pretty poor and m wife confirmed worse than the last time she went 3 years ago.

The "Autosport through the decades" display was actually good. Nice , important cars from the Jag C type and 250F through the Lotus 79 and McLaren MP4 to a Porsche 919 hybrid, all in nice condition and well presented.

The rest was, in truth , a mess. A set of replicars for sale mixed up with  engineering stuff. The odds and ends booths had spread across the floor from the usual side locations and the nice Formula E display was stranded amongst some quite tacky tuning stuff. The BRSCC and 750 Club stands were good but too crowded with cars to allow any real viewing or space for discussion. 

Almost no complete modern racing cars on display by the manufacturer, In prior years Ligier showed their LMP cars and were happy to chat, in very good English, to everybody. 

The Performance and Tuning section was mostly horrible -  blinged up road cars and huge SUV's backed by boombox music with the BMW and Marcos club struggling at the far end!. I think that is where the engineering bit is through Friday and it looked like the space was sold of to all comers late on Friday!

On a more positive note the Drag racing and Stock car racing displays had, as usual, very friendly and helpful staff. I think they actually enjoy being able to contact people from other racing disciplines.

It is not cheap, obviously and I always find the parking fees outrageous but the NEC has also stopped taking cash anywhere inside the Halls for food and drink plus there are no parking ticket booths at the car parks, you have to find one inside which meant an extra walk. A nuisance not a hardship except that my entry ticket was printed at 11.18 had our live action arena seats booked for 11.30!!

Edited by mariner, 12 January 2020 - 10:11.

#13 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:10

Hampton in Arden ain't it, not Henley in Arden?

Correct Dan, apologies all.... :(

#14 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:20

kK1ZWZ.jpg[/IMG]

Always nice to see Mark Finburgh's magnificent Porsche 917 013/34 arguably the most original 917 of them all
The car was originally used by JW Gulf before being used in the movie Le Mans where it was heavily damaged. After returning to the factory it was repaired around a new chassis (hence the double barrell no.) before returning to the Gulf team and subsequently winning at Daytona, Monza, Spa, Zeltweg and Monthlery.
After the car was retired at the end of the year Mr Finburgh purchased the car directly from Porsche and it remains to this day in its original splendour.